The 'How Did Your Airsoft Day Go? Thread

Skara

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

Safety briefs belong in the safe zone, game briefs are best given in the safe zone, any ‘staging’ area brief needs to be very brief

100%.  The reality is that Adjutant ADHD is going to prematurely ejaculate his balls once he's in the game zone.  Shouldn't happen, will happen.

So get him to the spawn and start playing.

Sportsmanship from both teams was good during the gameplay but there are some things I find rather annoying and unprofessional.

Don't really think it's a case of "being a professional".

Which of the two do you mean?

Again, the real problem is people removing their eyepro in the game zone; even the most dim witted airsofter should be able to work out that is not a good idea.

As much briefing as possible should be done in the safe zone; then get the players out and get them started.

2 hours ago, JVacation said:

I understand that is a problem however I have seen it at numerous sites people taking their eye pro off when they shouldn't be. Quite often it is young kids however majority of the time it is done during the downtime moments.

Don't really think it's a case of "being a professional". There were 204 people playing yesterday which were all forced into a confined area waiting to listen to the head marshall. Why should people who are waiting patiently and being sensible have to put up with the idea they might be shot in the back of the head from close range because people are messing around and being silly. Yes people have paid to get shot with bbs but they have paid to be shot during the games. Rifs should only be fired around people inside of games only. There's no real need for people to have their mags in the time before the safety briefing, the mission briefing and whilst walking to the start location. 

I know of one site that encourages, or used to encourage, players to take their eyepro off in the playing area between games.

1 hour ago, Colin Allen said:

Sportsmanship from both teams was good during the gameplay but there are some things I find rather annoying and unprofessional.

Don't really think it's a case of "being a professional".

Which of the two do you mean?

Again, the real problem is people removing their eyepro in the game zone; even the most dim witted airsofter should be able to work out that is not a good idea.

As much briefing as possible should be done in the safe zone; then get the players out and get them started.

I know of one site that encourages, or used to encourage, players to take their eyepro off in the playing area between games.

First line is regarding the site not the players as such but I understand it can read like that. My comment is bringing up that the site should do more to stop such behaviour. Moving the safety briefing and etc to be in the safe zone would eliminate with the point I am raising, or implementing a no magazine in rule until your start location would also do that. My point is not even just focusing on the eye pro. People don't want to stand around in a smallish area for a large amount of people whilst people are shooting and messing about. Any injury where you are not actively participating; in this case waiting for a safety briefing is not acceptable.

This sounds unique to your site. Every place I've played has a distinction between safe and game zone. General safety brief takes place in the safe zone. I also find it annoying when you're trying to make your way out to the start point and people are stopping in front of you to spray bushes, but many times it's rentals, so I guess there's an element of familiarising themselves with the equipment etc (I'm being kind). The emphasis is always on the individual keeping their eye pro on and that's the way it should be, you can't rely on someone else to be responsible for your H&S.

8 hours ago, Colin Allen said:

Used to, key point. Easier to manage eye pro always on than mag in/out.

As for young kids, going to site, how young is the site letting play and how are their adults not being very clear on this one?

But yes, safety brief in safe zone, and the long game brief if needed, game brief/recap in game zone. 

Last sunday was a wet but fun day!

9 people, games were somewhat slow but not a big deal, it gave me the chance to test some new gear/bits.

• @TheFull9 Ammo hub is wonderful, lightweight, low profile, can be upscaled or downscaled according to the user's needs, it's a nice alternative to the Mayflower rig when I don't have a lot to carry. Won't be using it for the upcoming 27h tournament though, I need a few things at hand and I don't want to overload the Hub.
  • Direct Action Dust Mk2 backpack is awesome too, a touch heavy at 1.5kg empty, but very very comfortable!
  • Perun Hybrid > Gate Titan, period;
  • My 933, despite having a shortened M90 spring and one/two teeth knocked off the sector, still does 1.02J, so another tooth will have to go.

Well got my first game since July on Sunday

I think marshalling all the time was taking the fun out of things for me and the Site Owner and the other guys pressured me into playing.

Glad I did

I was able to help issue some justice to the known offenders of non hit taking 😂

Thoroughly enjoyed myself, and got the 416 out for my inaugural run with it👌

8CD0DC75-1C44-45DD-8F46-B69A859E5AC6.thumb.jpeg.896878a031ed09366400a76a77f1fe4d.jpeg8BD03D7C-4F6E-42B2-A0C1-02F9FD302093.thumb.jpeg.c89d616cd78be9073ae23c6cacf5831c.jpeg

11 hours ago, Jaylordofwaargh said:

Used to, key point. Easier to manage eye pro always on than mag in/out.

As for young kids, going to site, how young is the site letting play and how are their adults not being very clear on this one?

But yes, safety brief in safe zone, and the long game brief if needed, game brief/recap in game zone. 

I am not sure if they still do it or not; we stopped going there because of a range of issues, culminating with the management allowing a "friend of the owner" to keep a mag in his Scorpion in the safe zone.

Haven't been out in a couple months so got the gear ready, charged a couple of batts, pre loaded the mags. Got on site brought the wrong holster and left all my mags on my desk. So just Marshalled all day. I am so out of shape I fell over trying to duck under a fallen tree. Today was not a good day.

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, BigStew said:

Haven't been out in a couple months so got the gear ready, charged a couple of batts, pre loaded the mags. Got on site brought the wrong holster and left all my mags on my desk. So just Marshalled all day. I am so out of shape I fell over trying to duck under a fallen tree. Today was not a good day.

Sorry for the laughing emoji Stew, but your day is like my life at the mo lol

28 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Sorry for the laughing emoji Stew, but your day is like my life at the mo lol

you either have to laugh or sit while still in your gear eating a tub of ice cream crying.  

I didn't really play today on account of my heart doing weird things at the moment and couldn't really work on my two m700s much because the temperature seemed to yoyo pretty incredibly today, so getting a consistent setup was nigh impossible. Plus it was incredibly windy on the range, so every shot curved to the left. Not good! I was about to go out to play, but I asked what the game was and was told that it was down at the bottom of the site, and considering I'm not allowed to do strenuous activity at the moment, I wasn't going up and down that damn hill.

However, I did chat a lot with people there and I met @Hatchet (jury's still out whether that's a positive or a negative ;)).

Just kidding, always good to meet more people from here! Way too cold though; where is spring?

After a very good day with the lad at Airsoft Plantation last weekend, I took myself off to AP's other site, Tower Airsoft, today.  I was rather laden down with guns as I had the two AEGs that I was intending to play with and the lad's AKS74U, which I wanted to test as I had stripped and rebuilt it on Friday evening as it was underpowered and suffering from midcap syndrome.

It was a typically good Tower day, with well organised games that worked with the numbers present and the nature of the site.  I teamed up with three chaps and we formed an effective little squad of an LMG, a sniper and two assault rifles.  However, the high point of my day was in a fall back game; having potted a few players from a favourite well concealed position, I let the opposing team advance past me and then stalked them from behind, racking up a number of kills that delayed their attack.

My newly built LR300 was on the receiving end of some admiration, which was satisfying; it has been a long time in the making.

I am now deciding where to play next.

Guns used:
A&K/G&G/E&C LR300
Ares VZ58
Milbro Classic M1911 CO2 (I really must get a better pistol!)

Really great day, despite some technical issues.  Good games, well fought, even though our team had the edge that day, it wasn't for lack of trying on the other team's part. In fact they had us on a timed assault game but someone threw a green smoke (toxic gas) which almost cleared the whole base but kept them standing around a couple of minutes while it burnt out. Just long enough to give us the win. 

Mp5k now feeds which is good, though I realised the alignment is really off with the nozzle, which is why it shoots so hard left. And the new ghillie works wonders already and it's not even finished yet! Getting looked over by someone that's only 10m away is a hell of a rush. 

No photo description available.

I didn't really play today on account of my heart doing weird things at the moment and couldn't really work on my two m700s much because the temperature seemed to yoyo pretty incredibly today, so getting a consistent setup was nigh impossible. Plus it was incredibly windy on the range, so every shot curved to the left. Not good! I was about to go out to play, but I asked what the game was and was told that it was down at the bottom of the site, and considering I'm not allowed to do strenuous activity at the moment, I wasn't going up and down that damn hill.

However, I did chat a lot with people there and I met @Hatchet (jury's still out whether that's a positive or a negative ;)).

Just kidding, always good to meet more people from here! Way too cold though; where is spring?

Ah, wondered why I didnt see much of you today, not that I ever do 😂 Hope you can get out there more soon 👍

Edited by Badgerlicious

11 minutes ago, Impulse said:

However, I did chat a lot with people there and I met @Hatchet (jury's still out whether that's a positive or a negative ;)).

Sorry to learn about the heart problem; I hope it gets sorted out very soon.

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, Impulse said:

on account of my heart doing weird things at the moment

Like, ordering pineapple and anchovy pizza?  Sorry to hear that you didn't get to play, but sometimes just a range day and watching some other mugs slog up and down a hill can be rewarding.

2 minutes ago, Badgerlicious said:

someone threw a green smoke (toxic gas)

We're doing simulated war crimes now? 🤔

3 minutes ago, Badgerlicious said:

Mp5k [...] ghillie

Ah, I see you're a sidearm man of culture too.  Love mine as a sniper secondary.

18 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Like, ordering pineapple and anchovy pizza?  Sorry to hear that you didn't get to play, but sometimes just a range day and watching some other mugs slog up and down a hill can be rewarding.

Depends on your views (I personally love anchovy, but pineapple is heresy). I'm not at risk of suddenly keeling over, but my ECG scan on Thursday was, to quote my doctor, "fine, but odd". At the moment if I do too much I wake up at about 2am with palpitations and shortness of breath, severity depending on how much I did. Will probably get referred to a cardiologist to get it fixed, as it is likely a fixable thing, but until then I can't strain myself too much.

45 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

We're doing simulated war crimes now? 🤔

Ah, I see you're a sidearm man of culture too.  Love mine as a sniper secondary.

😂

I actually run them at different times since my main "dmr" and the mp5 are both HPA. I've been eyeing up those stock bottles though... If I get one of those some interesting things might happen. 

On 26/02/2023 at 10:30, RostokMcSpoons said:

Luckily a chap volunteered to give me a hand and we ended up talking to each other for the rest of the day, made a friend!

image.png.08d36e29f54a88bfe2d6d563baa28452.png

Aww friend... airsoft friend.

20 hours ago, Khyber said:

image.png.08d36e29f54a88bfe2d6d563baa28452.png

Aww friend... airsoft friend.

A very special friend as he gave him a "hand" ;)

To stop this from being spam I'd better say my last game was at Ambush Airsoft near Cobham on the 12th and it was a great day, despite the MP5 battery dying 30 seconds into the last game. Still, I had lots of fun with the shotgun which got a few admiring looks and comments about it what it's like to be on the receiving end of it

On 26/02/2023 at 20:15, Impulse said:

Depends on your views (I personally love anchovy, but pineapple is heresy). I'm not at risk of suddenly keeling over, but my ECG scan on Thursday was, to quote my doctor, "fine, but odd". At the moment if I do too much I wake up at about 2am with palpitations and shortness of breath, severity depending on how much I did. Will probably get referred to a cardiologist to get it fixed, as it is likely a fixable thing, but until then I can't strain myself too much.

Hope it gets sorted soon. Despite what we may say in jest, your health and staying out of a forever box is more important than dicking about in the woods 

50 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

A very special friend as he gave him a "hand" ;)

To stop this from being spam I'd better say my last game was at Ambush Airsoft near Cobham on the 12th and it was a great day, despite the MP5 battery dying 30 seconds into the last game. Still, I had lots of fun with the shotgun which got a few admiring looks and comments about it what it's like to be on the receiving end of it

Hope it gets sorted soon. Despite what we may say in jest, your health and staying out of a forever box is more important than dicking about in the woods 

Haha, I'm not going to live that down, am I :)

He was interesting to talk to, he used to be in models and toy engineering, eventually got in as a member of Jim Henson's animatronics workshop, then helped build the Batmobile for Dark Knight Rises, and now works as a consultant engineer for 'interesting' (i.e. military) things.   Rather put my career as a programmer mostly working on financial systems into a (very dull) perspective!

I've got friends down in Cobham, and I thought I might take them there to intro them into the fun of airsoft - is it 'newbie'-friendly?

7 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I've got friends down in Cobham, and I thought I might take them there to intro them into the fun of airsoft - is it 'newbie'-friendly?

The 2 times I've been I found both staff and other players to be friendly and welcoming. One thing I do like is that they seam to have the right balance between not sitting around waiting for the next game and not  feeling rushed to kit up for the next game, unlike some sites I've visited 

Edited by Cannonfodder

Fun day at AWA, bit chilly, plenty of puffer jacket clad rentals not taking hits, another cluster fuck with guns not working.... But was genuinely fun. 

Touching cloth to start with (aka capture the flag) our team was trounced by time, but at least I kept up my average by being the one to get the flag for our team. 

Some how managed to bend my thumb back on itself too which is now v sore. 

The boy's M16 shit itself on chrono, so we have decided to make it my "learning to tech" gun. 

My newly returned (as in yesterday) Rapax M7 managed two shots on chrono before the gearbox locked up.  So we were stuck my new Honey Badger and the boy's L85. 

The latter performed nicely.  The Honey Badger was great apart from being incredibly fussy about the spring tension in the mags.  Several occasions saw me lying in my back behind a tree taking fire on all sides trying to ferry bbs from a duff mag to the least fussy. 

Best game of the day was a rolling retreat, then counter attack, but sadly I got caught short with the battery dying at the end of the first round necessitating a 20 minute round trip to the safe zone. 

The Badger's accuracy is a little sporadic but then it was never going to be a sniper. Got more than my fair share of kills when I found a nice hidey hole behind a tree 

Marshalls were fair and kept things flowing once everyone was out of the safe zone. For some reason, two dappy old codgers decided to meander through the game area on their bikes at one point.  Last time out it was a dog walker.  

You'd think the sound of explosions and 70 adults dressed in military gear brandishing assorted automatic weapons would have been a deterrent.  But hey ho 🤣

1 hour ago, Dan Robinson said:

Fun day at AWA, bit chilly, plenty of puffer jacket clad rentals not taking hits, another cluster fuck with guns not working.... But was genuinely fun. 

Touching cloth to start with (aka capture the flag) our team was trounced by time, but at least I kept up my average by being the one to get the flag for our team. 

Some how managed to bend my thumb back on itself too which is now v sore. 

The boy's M16 shit itself on chrono, so we have decided to make it my "learning to tech" gun. 

My newly returned (as in yesterday) Rapax M7 managed two shots on chrono before the gearbox locked up.  So we were stuck my new Honey Badger and the boy's L85. 

The latter performed nicely.  The Honey Badger was great apart from being incredibly fussy about the spring tension in the mags.  Several occasions saw me lying in my back behind a tree taking fire on all sides trying to ferry bbs from a duff mag to the least fussy. 

Best game of the day was a rolling retreat, then counter attack, but sadly I got caught short with the battery dying at the end of the first round necessitating a 20 minute round trip to the safe zone. 

The Badger's accuracy is a little sporadic but then it was never going to be a sniper. Got more than my fair share of kills when I found a nice hidey hole behind a tree 

Marshalls were fair and kept things flowing once everyone was out of the safe zone. For some reason, two dappy old codgers decided to meander through the game area on their bikes at one point.  Last time out it was a dog walker.  

You'd think the sound of explosions and 70 adults dressed in military gear brandishing assorted automatic weapons would have been a deterrent.  But hey ho 🤣

I have heard good things about AWA; I might have to take a trip up there sometime soon.