The 'How Did Your Airsoft Day Go? Thread

Skara

Hey guys,

I know we already have a dedicated section but it's mostly used for site reviews, which I love reading from down here, especially Asomodai's ones, but I reckon it'll get more visibility here.

I'm interested in hearing how your day went, whether it's a simple skirmish, a full day themed event or a hardcore milsim! In particular I'd like to hear anecdotes, something in particular that made (or broke) your day, or even just some venting because of one or multiple unpleasant events, maybe a super long range shot or if you snuck so close to someone you managed to tap him on the shoulder. These kinds of things :)

Lemme start this absolute shitshow by telling you (I don't care if you don't care, you sit there and read) my day.

So, today was the first game after the summer pause, it gets quite warm here in summer and people prefer to roast themselves on a beach rather than play with toy gnus, I was very excited as I took my new specna for a spin.

Due to the relatively low numbers we invited another club to play with us (which from now on will be called "cheater club" but I won't bore you with the explanation), we ended up being 18 people, 12 of us + 6 of them and some randoms thrown in.

The day started well, with the two first games being a little slow paced due to "the others" playing for the first time in the highest part of our field.

Hit calling was generally good until the last three games.

The first one of these three saw me sneaking up to 4/5 metres of an enemy sniper, who was unaware of my presence as he was focused on pinning down my teammates. Flick the gun to semi and let off a couple of shots into the only visible part, the head. Both BBs impacted.

And this is where it all goes to shit.

The guy visibly flinches, turns towards me and ducks into cover, to pop up later with his pistol, but I'm still there waiting, this time with the fun switch on, and let off a small bursts that gets him right in the forehead. Still flinches and dives back into cover. At this point I'm pissed, I hold down the trigger to keep him down while moving to the side to get a better shot, as we were separated by a small ridge. At this point half a flash mag has been dumped. When I get really close to him, must've been 2/3 metres at best, he pokes out of cover and lets off a nice full auto burst from his CO2 pistol in my neck.

I'm not Shouty McYelly, so I call my hit and walk away.

Game ends and the guy comes out of his little trench, bleeding with visible welts on his forehead. Didn't feel bad for a second about it. Also quite a few people were watching the scene so I didn't even need to say or do anything as it was pretty obvious what happened.

The game after I'm on defense, I set up an ambush on a small side path on the left hand side of the objective and spot a 3 man squad coming my way, I let the first one pass and unleash hell on the second and third guy. The second enemy dives into cover while the third, a good 10/15 metres behind the other two, is still in the open, so I instantly direct the fire towards him. Now I'm not 100% sure I hit him as he was a good 40 metres away, but my gun does reach up to at least 55 metres, I was shooting down from an elevated position and the spread was still torso sized.

Nonetheless, the target at first stands still in surprise and then runs away. Meh. Follows a nice exchange of bbs with my club's president (the first guy) but then I'm overran and eliminated.

Still a bit puzzled by this "incident", but again, might have misjudged the distance but it seemed like I did reach that guy, as when the game ended he told me my bbs were zipping past him. The magic of airsoft and round lightweight ammunition.

Then the last game of the day, we send the whole cheater club to defend a small chapel, we as attackers have two advantages. Range, because we are starting from the high ground, and terrain knowledge.

We split up in 2/3 man teams as we always do, my mate and I decide to go on a huuuuge flanking maneuver that gets us behind the objective.

At this point it gets ridiculous:

We emerge out of cover right next to a girl who was looking at the opposite direction, none of us saw her (new nickname, Eagle Eye lol) until she moved a few branches. On the plus side she somehow didn't hear us. Great, let's spread out now so she doesn't fuck both of us up with a single sweep.

Slowly creeping towards her, I flick the gun to semi, wait for my teammate to move a bit and then I pull the trigger....

Nothing, fuck's sake, the gun locked up.

She notices us, turns around to shoot us but we're already behind cover: me in a dip protected by a bush, my teammate on the opposite side of the very tree she was using as cover. I draw my pistol, pop out of cover and fire 4 shots, hitting her in the side of the mask (from 3 metres, clearly saw the bbs hitting) as she was looking at my teammate. I dive back into cover, she turns around towards me and my mate puts 4 bbs in her side while she lets off a small unaimed burst between us. Note that this took some seconds so she had the time to call the hit, but she doesn't until she took my mate's balls (lul).

The hit was called, but suddenly she starts yelling that she hit both of us and ran to cry about it to our club's president.

I stare at my mate, he stares at me, we both shrug and keep playing. We both end up being taken out by her boyfriend, who got himself into a really cheeky position and was almost invisible from where we were (imagine a huge bush with the tiniest of tiny holes in it and a barrel barely poking out, good luck spotting that), good play by him and we complimented.

A rollercoaster of a day, which started with the best premises but ended in disappointment.

How did your day go? Did you have the same bad luck as me? Did you have a great time?

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Airsoft, I remember that... 😢

I honestly don't know how you handle that level of bad temper and gamesmanship.  It seems orthogonal if not diametrically opposed to the ethos of airsoft.

I was just gonna say that! 😄

Regards 

4 minutes ago, Skara said:

I guess I got used to this kind of behaviour so it doesn't bother me too much anymore.

I used to really get angry at cheaters and general bad sportsmanship, but now I just shrug it off and try to have fun :D no point in spoiling your day because you're dealing with manchildren.

I just can't understand how people can feel themselves being hit multiple times and then feel good about kills they get after. You get those people who you literally have to shoot in to submission. Had it with my near 500fps DMR. Couple of shots to the plate carrier, they clearly reacted looked down at their chest and then around to see if anyone saw before carrying on, then a couple to the head and clearly in pain this time but no calling...until a couple more and they finally give in. By which I mean skulking away with both hands down, no audible "hit!" and walking with a raised hand. No doubt they'd also be the first to moan if shot again.

Another weird one is the "I'm clearly in the game zone but you're not allowed to shoot me" players (and no I don't mean Marshals!). The people chatting to their mates, rolling a cigarette or just generally chilling by the base they're supposed to be defending, who then flip-out as soon as BB's fly their way.

I had a good day at Skirmish Wycombe last Saturday.

My 3rd game with my own RIF, still in love with it.

I don't really have any memorable anecdotes. Just had a good day skirming. 

Got some compliments at the end of the day tho, saying that I'm a good player so that was fun to hear ✌🏻

Now that is very weird!

I got down to Airsoft Plantation yesterday and have now dropped by here to mention it, wasn't sure where to post it and boom, there's this thread!

Nice when that happens!

Like a lot of you probably are, I was more than ready to get back to the sport and seeing that their website was accepting bookings again I reckoned it was time I gave AP a go. I saw a very comprehensive and well written site review by asomodai I think which was very positive about AP so this place was always on the list to try. It's also less than ten minutes from my house which is even better.

After a what I must say was a little bit of faff in terms of actually contacting John or Steve (to be fair I'm guessing they're busy guys) I got booked in and turned up to the event. The safe zone was out of use for obvious reasons meaning everyone was relocated to the car park and worked out of their cars. This was just fine with many bringing chairs and tables (or just repurposing/nicking the site's ones!) In the end it was actually quite workable though if it rained it may have been a bit more interesting! You could still visit the shop and the amenities with ease.

Brief was very comprehensive, everything covered and clearly they have a good attitude towards safety and this virus business, they weren't just giving out spiel, they really came across like they gave a shit, nice to see. I will say though I found the chrono rule of spot checking was a little odd, the player has to chrono his or her own gun with their own chrono, AP then randomly check you with their chrono at a later juncture, this is fine in principle and it's up to them but I did think that having all those different chronos in use instead of just one could lead to errors possibly, it's kind of the same as MOT'ing your own car with your own test kit, leaves room for error? Also theres a chance one could slip through the net with a hot gun, at least if you chrono everyone with one known good chrono then its all levelled out and you really cut the chances down of getting hit with a hot weapon.

As a rental player that side was academic to me obvioulsy, granted many here have long graduated past the stage of renting but some of us UKARA-less pikeys (aka me) are of course still in need of this, so too were many of the groups who bought mates along for a try out and needed kit too. While we're here it's well worth mentioning the decent quality of kit they run, as with a lot of sites they use the CM16 Raider which has a pretty decent rep in the airsoft world as I understand it. Indeed it seems to be very popular on AFUK too. This was my first hands on encounter with it and I have to say after all that hype to live up to it did brilliantly.  

The one I was issued with was naturally not new but was accurate, reliable and user friendly, AP clearly maintain them well.  Based on its following and how well it did on the day it will be the first gun I buy once that UKARA number comes back for sure. Also serves as confirmation that the advice here on AFUK is generally solid.

The battery did conk out just after lunch but this was no problem - I simply asked a marshall and within seconds I had a replacement gun back in my hands ready to roll which by luck was also brand new! They just sorted it out in short order which was another plus for AP. Having a new gun was nice but seeing how well looked after it's predecessor was there was no noticeable difference in performance. 

I didn't have any non hit takers that I noticed, whenever I saw a BB connect with a target the hand went straight up with all the honesty and sportsmanship you'd hope for. One guy was however particularly vocal about his opponents not taking hits, again I don't know if that was true as I couldn't see but ironically he had a lot of trouble taking his own, that said later on after a little discussion between him and someone else they both took the hit, fist bumped and moved on - well played lads. 

The games were varied and fun, a couple of new ones were tried out which were good ideas but needed tweaking, that is of course the idea of a trial though and both ideas got good feedback.

Didn't try the food van but it looked and smelt bloody good, even attracting a guy on a golf buggy with his black lab dog stood casually on the passenger seat with weirdly good balance, for a breakfast roll which would have been enough for two. Maybe next time...

All in all a great day out, well planned, attentive and switched on marshalls, solid hire kit, above average facilities and a fun site to play with lots of variation and space, I've started the UKARA visit process and this will be a regular site after that too.

That said I did get close-ranged with a Mk 23 in the right arse cheek and now have what looks like ursula major semi tattoo'd in red dots on there - could call it a souvenir maybe? 

Airsoft Plantation is a very well run site and I have always had a good time there (I am fortunate that it is very local to me).

The only downside is if it is raining some bits do get very swampy pretty quickly. Personally not a problem for me on a game day, but some folks do get a bit grumpy when they come back caked in mud, and it does make the post event clean down a bit of a ball ache.

This is by no means a unique problem and would be true of any Woodland site with hereby ground water (AP is next to a fishing lake). Let’s be honest it has to be pretty decent if the weather is the biggest problem.

Okay. My airsoft day has been spoiled even before starting.

A little bit of boring context first.

We live in a sea town, we don't really play (as in organized games) in the summer, we usually call it quits around mid June and resume in early September. If we feel like playing we gather a bunch of people from different clubs and have a skirmish somewhere.

Then we have tournaments, two types mainly (4 hours and 8 hours, one year we do the 4h ones, the year after we do 8h, you get the idea) with some 12/24h events thrown in, but they are quite rare.

At the 4 hour long ones, the minimum age threshold is 16, 18 for the longer 8 hours ones as there are more "safety" risks involved. More on that later if anyone's interested.

Due to the slowly dying community here, in the past we've resorted to inviting other clubs so we could reach a reasonable number of players (15 total, on average), including the cheater team I have mentioned several times, both in the OP and in various threads/statuses.

We also have a few father/son couples playing with us, they really make it fun as they are always on opposing teams so they can settle every affair they might have (seriously tho, they are freaking hilarious at times).

We happen to have this F&S pair who are friends with the cheater club's president, so they always push to invite them and often play with them during the summer break.

The dad is a cool cat, he just wants to sling plastic with his friends from both clubs, fair player who calls his hits and brings laughter.

His son, though, has been behaving like a cunt for the past year or so. Decent player with a great ego, he couldn't attend tournaments because of his age (he's turning 18 in a short time), the only one he could attend was a bit disappointing for him as another person was picked. Always tries to stand out (the bad way) from the crowd, expects to be praised for the individual plays (team game? Hello?) and, most importantly, gets super upset when someone points out any mistakes he might have made.

/boring prelude.

Let's jump to present day, I'm organizing the 2nd official game after the summer break. The 2 people aforementioned said that they wouldn't play because they were busy with family stuff (completely fine with it, family trumps everything else). 6 people, shit, not enough, so I started asking other clubs too, when I called the cheater club's president he told me they were playing with another club (completely fine with it as well) and that the 2 guys were joining him (NOT fine with that).

Now, if you join a soccer team, the team expects you to play with them.

You can't join X club but then play with Y only, it's not very respectful of X.

I did just call the kid asking what was it about and he told me his will to permanently join the other club because we never let him play tournaments.

Now, let's pause that for a second.

Since he joined us he could not participate in tournaments because he wasn't of age:

2018 (16yo min) he was 15

2019 (18yo min) he was 16

2020 (16yo min) we got the 'rona.

2021 (same 2020 series, postponed because of the virus) he'd be 18, so he could play and we are always happy to have new people in the competitive team.

I pointed that out to him and he suddenly hung up the phone.

Oh, we also have a somewhat bland "don't come back policy" that both guys are well aware of, if a member has an issue with the team or one of the members, we try to discuss it and come to a solution together. If the member leaves without actually giving an explanation, joins another club but then wants to come back, heh, train has been missed mate.

We actually try to solve problems.

I fully expect them to regret their decision and try to join us back within 2 months.

So yeah, tomorrow will be a sad skirmish, regardless of what happens..

Sounds like you're making a big deal out of nothing tbh. The kid is allowed to play where he wants, afterall he isn't getting to play tournaments with you guys. Also if he's as big a pain in the arse as you say then surely you're better off without him

• Supporters

Sounds like good riddance to bad rubbish, shame for his dad but no point in trying to keep a player who's more trouble than he's worth, & clearly doesn't appreciate playing in your games.

Yeah today it leaves a bitter taste, but after tomorrow you'll be happy to be rid of him, move on.

he didn't play tournaments because he was underage, not because we didn't want him to play, after all he's not a bad player, he's fast and for the most part can listen to "commands"

Now that we have seen his real intentions, yeah, fuck him. Shame for his dad as he is just following his son :(

but heh, people come and go.

meanwhile I'm preparing my kit for tomorrow's game.

arp or pink m4?

CQB today

usual games, TDM, bomb game

marshals tried to mix things up a bit when picking spawns, 2 of us draw pistols and stand back to back duel style

take 3 paces then the marshal counts down from 5, turn and fire

I missed

he missed

he shot me in the leg

I pinged him on the bell end :D

fair to say everyone laughed and we had a great day

at the time not so great for that guy

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Skara said:

team

Is another word for tribe, and tribalism usually ends badly.

Have you considered trying to change the way airsoft is played in Italy?  It sounds like a recipe for gamesmanship and acrimony.

My Airsoft day - a few Saturdays ago - went very well. We hired Camp Sparta for the day and held a private game / charity event. 

The day was an absolute hoot, we knew one another - no silliness or cheating - just old fashioned fun and enjoyment.

The morale of this story - if you want to avoid dickheads / cheaters / ego centric site marshals - do your own thing.

Get the right people around you and hire a site, and enjoy yourselves again.

I'm not done with toxic sites.

2 hours ago, Skara said:

Today's game was really fun!

If only all game days were like this.

see better off without the dramatic players then lol

• Supporters

Today was a good day to pew hard.

My first day at Biohazard airsoft, an Old Abandoned Chemical Factory CQB site

A late start and somewhat vague brief in a rather echoey safe zone weren't great, but then the actual play was really fun.  I've been rather spoiled by the big indoors area of the Depot, but Biohazard know their site well, and tailored the games to make the best of it.  There was actually more opportunities for stand-off firefights up the length of the site than at the Depot, or you could Billy in up the room maze in the middle with pistol and grenades.  Short walks to spawn, quick turn-arounds, good marshalling, good value: yes, very happy with that.

• Supporters

Some very tense games today, had a few issues with a plate carrier/plot armour type earlier on but rest of the day was pretty on point.

Seen to have found the favour of the leaf gods apparently, spent a good chunk of a fallback game hiding behind a bit of a hedge that had no right stopping as much plastic as it did.

Was pleasantly surprised to find the lct worked pretty much flawlessly all day without major issue.

Of course managed to lose a mag, the hubris of friction based holders....

Another great day!

The specna M4 performed flawlessly, sending 0.28s way over there and took full advantage of it throughout the games, at some point a few of the younger players questioned the legality of the gun.

Opted to leave the AAP at home and only take the mk23, should have left that one too as I used it once.

But anyway.

We invited a club we really enjoy playing with, bunch of players who play well but don't take airsoft too seriously, 14 people on the field in total.

Games went well, got some long range kills and in the last game I single handedly wiped the whole attacking team. Well, to be completely honest it was almost impossible to dig me out of the hole I found without doing a WW1 style trench charge.

Downside: gotta rework my full kit.

Again.

Fuck me.

A bit of a mixed bag for me. My camelback leaked on the train and I didn't notice till I'd lost about 3/4 of it. Then no taxis were available so I had to walk the rest of the way meaning I missed the first game. Later my Striker decided to start playing silly buggers. 

On the plus side the games were great with plenty of enthusiasm from all resulting in some really good games which more than made up for the issues I had in the morning 

Hi all

Just got back from greenops liphook.

Absolutely cream crackered!

Great day though. We all had to work from out back of cars which was ok.

Got seven good clean kills with the badger and a cracking epic 150ft hit with the mk23 to end the day.🙂maybe it was luck but I did aim it.

Had to use the mk23 for last mins of end game due to the badger refusing to fire. Had been ok all day but half way through last game noticed the grip was getting pistol grip was getting very hot and smelling.have just looked and the motor is seized solid! 

Any Suggestions as to which motor to replace it with?

Gonna lay down now cause me poor little legs are complaining lol

Thanks to all Marshall's and players for a great fun day of pain 👍

4 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Hi all

Just got back from greenops liphook.

Absolutely cream crackered!

Great day though. We all had to work from out back of cars which was ok.

Got seven good clean kills with the badger and a cracking epic 150ft hit with the mk23 to end the day.🙂maybe it was luck but I did aim it.

Had to use the mk23 for last mins of end game due to the badger refusing to fire. Had been ok all day but half way through last game noticed the grip was getting pistol grip was getting very hot and smelling.have just looked and the motor is seized solid! 

Gonna lay down now cause me poor little legs are complaining lol

Thanks to all Marshall's and players for a great fun day of pain 👍

That doesn't surprise me, the honey Badger motor is shit. Pretty sure my dad used a 22tpa SHS motor to upgrade my mates gun. 

4 minutes ago, Shamal said:

I'm buying another SHS high torque specifically for that gun. Maybe you should too