The 'How Did Your Airsoft Day Go? Thread

Skara

On 30/12/2022 at 15:10, Impulse said:

Normally I would chime in here and say "not all HPA users are bad" but I'm having a falling out with my own HPA systems at the moment because they're both being annoying to the point where I may sell them both and no longer be part of the club as I doubt I will go back to it because my gas systems are better and my AEGs are more reliable, sooooo... :P

Sucks to hear that your last game of the year was a bad one. Mine was as well. The idiots specifically targeting hands and groins are worse than the Kicking Mustangs who go for headshots; headshots sting, but hand shots and groin shots sting even worse, as as you said, the hand is fairly easy to fracture if they hit you in the right place with enough force. I only go for hand or groin shots if the person I'm shooting at hasn't taken their body shots and then also hasn't taken their headshots afterwards.

There was a guy that I repeatedly hit, even when I used aerodynamics to banana my shots around a corner, could see the BB's bouncing off the guy and yet, still putt their head around the corner and lit me up. I said to the one marchal that I'm fed up of the other team not taking their hits and I'm leaving the game.

As for my finger, I can feel the fracture callus right on the index finger joint, still sore 10 days on, only because of where it is and on the same finger that had a bad fracture to it.

Head shots in my book are only OK when the only target presented is a head, I tend to offer up a load of real estate to take a pop at and it really gets my back up when I get headshots  when I have a bigger target on offer, I had a pair of eyepros broken that cost me £175 because they are prescription lenses and rated higher than the minimum EN rating for airsoft... Just shows how hard HPA hits are. I'd go as far as HPA should be relegated to outdoor use only and not CQB sites.

One of the guys attending that was also discussing the issue at the site said that you get the Friday night games and Saturday gamers who are there to blow off steam and generally don't follow the rules, it defeats the object of the game if the rules are not followed, a few seconds out the game and you're back in and don't see why people need to cheat. You learn better tactics by following the rules as you learn from your mistakes.

Played a half day today at a private game with the staff and a few of the long-time regulars at my local airsoft site. My only gripe is that I didn't bring the m700 as the forecast was "it will piss it down all day" and sniping in the rain is just an awful experience. Wanted to run my GBBR AKM, but I felt it was just a bit too nippy for that too, so I chose to run the m21 (the AEG one, not the HPA one that jams).

We played until about 1pm and it was really mild. Strong winds meant shots did veer off to one side quite often, but it was a very enjoyable day of 10v10 where everyone involved was experienced and knew the site. I was expecting to remove the scope mount from my m21 early on as soon as the rain started, but the rain didn't come and I got some cracking shots with it. However, I definitely prefer my bolt action, since I found that while the m21 is quiet for an AEG, as soon as I pulled the trigger people on the other team immediately had a rough idea where I was, where if I use my m700 they have no idea at all. It started pissing it down as we were finishing lunch and we all decided to call it there

Was good to get out and I'm looking forward to a normal skirmish day next week, as long as the weather is either dry or not freezing cold. I don't mind wet as I can use my GBBRs, I don't mind cold as I can use my m700 in all temperatures, I really dislike wet and cold because it means I have to use my only AEG (which is still a sniper rifle, just I have to run it with iron sights) as I can't use my GBBRs or any of my scoped rifles :P 

Had a good day too, played until about 3pm and was wet through but enjoyed it immensely!  Sadly not everyone shares my enthusiasm for being out in the rain though so our teams were much diminished by the last game.

Eye pro was much better with the Sawfly plus inserts solution so I could see way better than with the paintball mask.  Just looking at when I can squeeze a game in around the six nations for Feb now!

First game of the year was a short, wet cqb session at the abandoned fort.

8 people, we played a few 4v4s with pistols, which gave me the chance to finally use my TTI AAP carbine.

I definitely need higher sights as the Evo ones I bought for it are way, way too low. And maybe a torch.

First game of the year and ... Cheaters galore, its obvious when you hit someone that they know that they have been hit.

I popped my head out of where I was to see what the player was doing and he said "Oh... did you hit me?" and another player unloaded on me whilst I was answering the player, I shouted to the player to "Cut it out" and got an indignant "You what" reply.

The owner had to address the issue of spamming, that on video its clear that some players were rapid firing and not giving players a chance to signal that they are hit as the HPA players were unloading at full auto speeds, not giving others a chance in the game. There is a lack of etiquette and observation of the rules by some people in airsoft that would be very off putting to new players and kids.

I had my CREE M3 Illuminator blown out by an HPA player that was clearly overpowered by the way the BB's were exploding on my helmet, RIF and the LED element behind the perspex glass was destroyed. 

Also had a G&G UVT106 damaged from being hit. I wasn't the only person to have their tracer unit damaged. It was also very clear when I was using my non tracer pistol that players were being hit but because it was non tracer, they were not taking the hits.

Another broken finger from game play... 

One player had been to a game at another site and had their nose broken from being hit in the face.

A marshal had to have words with one of the HPA players about their spamming as plenty of people were clearly complaining about one of the players (HPA Player) and they were playing it ignorant until they got lit up by another player and he was then "I see what you mean".

In general the game play was overly aggressive which sucked most of the game enjoyment out of the day.  

WTF is wrong with HPA players?  People go to have fun, not to get hurt or have equipment smashed or damaged.

Nice bait.

It's not the gun, it's the player, give a cunt an AEG/GBB/BA/£10 springer and he'll still be a cunt.

Also you should look for other sites :P

1 hour ago, AirSniper said:

WTF is wrong with HPA players?  People go to have fun, not to get hurt or have equipment smashed or damaged.

Well, most of the HPA players I've come across have been no problem at all - they have enough self awareness to recognise that they will be more heavily scrutinised purely on their choice of power source for their plastic people shooter. 

I've probably had more problems with DSG and Super-duper Hi-speed AEG build owners over the years than HPA.

As @Skara so eloquently put it - it's the player, not the gun. 

And I've seen very expensive gear get (surprisingly) smashed up with 1j guns (well before HPA became a 'thing') and if people don't wear full-face protection, then I don't have much sympathy for injuries that are clearly avoidable. 

P.S. I don't own anything HPA or remotely 'Hi-Speed'.

2nd post in a row with a hard-on for hating HPA players and blaming them for everything. Will your next post also blame them for world hunger? 🤣 @Skara has the right of it, it's the player, not the gun, and dickheads will be dickheads regardless what they're using. Though it is very easy to build a wankergun with HPA, not all HPA are wankerguns and not all wankerguns are HPA. I don't think I've ever had any issues with the HPA regulars at my local site, and we have some pretty dedicated HPA players. Also, not all HPA systems are spammy; my HPA m21 really, really hates it if I try to spam the trigger as firstly the mags can't keep up and will stop feeding well and becomes inconsistent, inaccurate and generally just bad if I spam. The only issue people have had with me running my HPA m21 is the classic "that's a bit close for a sniper isn't it?" because it looks like a sniper, sounds like a sniper and I'm dressed like a bush like a sniper, but it's 1.1J and I have the same issue with my m700 when I run that lower power as well.

Also, again, as Skara said... Sounds like you need to find a new site

5 hours ago, Impulse said:

2nd post in a row with a hard-on for hating HPA players and blaming them for everything. Will your next post also blame them for world hunger? 🤣 @Skara has the right of it, it's the player, not the gun, and dickheads will be dickheads regardless what they're using. Though it is very easy to build a wankergun with HPA, not all HPA are wankerguns and not all wankerguns are HPA. I don't think I've ever had any issues with the HPA regulars at my local site, and we have some pretty dedicated HPA players. Also, not all HPA systems are spammy; my HPA m21 really, really hates it if I try to spam the trigger as firstly the mags can't keep up and will stop feeding well and becomes inconsistent, inaccurate and generally just bad if I spam. The only issue people have had with me running my HPA m21 is the classic "that's a bit close for a sniper isn't it?" because it looks like a sniper, sounds like a sniper and I'm dressed like a bush like a sniper, but it's 1.1J and I have the same issue with my m700 when I run that lower power as well.

Also, again, as Skara said... Sounds like you need to find a new site

An AEG on .25's or .2's will sting, not break things.
HPA with a non-match regulator that can be turned up can throw out BB's hard and fast that explode on impact.

I was wearing a Vest, T Shirt, the game top I play in a fleece coat and a game vest, so 5 layers and the lot is loose and baggy so as to help with impact, I have wounds that are perfectly circular purple hematoma under the skin from being shot at from well over 12 meters away and they were HPA for sure as the cycling on HPA is faster than AEG's

Equipment doesn't break as its been designed to withstand the punishment from players who play with weaponry that complies, the problem is that HPA players with non-locked / match regulators can adjust the power output.

My viewpoint is that HPA should be for skirmish outdoor sites and not CQB.

The point I am also making is that first time players get put off because of a few people who generally don't play by the rules.

Airsoft is a game where the honour system is in play and if you cheat, that says alot about you as an individual. They say a picture speaks a thousand words, well cheating in an honor game speaks volumes.

An AEG on .25's or .2's will sting, not break things.
HPA with a non-match regulator that can be turned up can throw out BB's hard and fast that explode on impact.

Wow, what a surprise, I wonder if I put a stronger spring in my gun after chrono this would also happen? what about using a higher pressure gas in my Gas Blowback? 

If people want to cheat then they can with any platform, not denying that it is theoretically slightly easier on HPA, but it is up to the site to make sure this doesn't happen. Locking regulators and random choro checks should be mandatory. if you banned HPA these people would just swap the spring in an AEG after chrono or run gas mags with black gas but only chrono on green. 

HPA doesn't hit any harder than any other gun at the same power level, it is people cheating with HPA that are the problem not the system its self.

1 hour ago, AirSniper said:

An AEG on .25's or .2's will sting, not break things.
HPA with a non-match regulator that can be turned up can throw out BB's hard and fast that explode on impact.

1 hour ago, Terry_Rist said:

Wow, what a surprise, I wonder if I put a stronger spring in my gun after chrono this would also happen? what about using a higher pressure gas in my Gas Blowback? 

If people want to cheat then they can with any platform, not denying that it is theoretically slightly easier on HPA, but it is up to the site to make sure this doesn't happen. Locking regulators and random choro checks should be mandatory. if you banned HPA these people would just swap the spring in an AEG after chrono or run gas mags with black gas but only chrono on green. 

HPA doesn't hit any harder than any other gun at the same power level, it is people cheating with HPA that are the problem not the system its self.

What he said

Changing any of the elements involved in launching a projectile can and will change the way it performs

I’ll turn to paintball mode as that’s where my knowledge lies…..

HPA is regulated, and therefore is ‘consistent’ if you don’t change any of the key factors.

The can be cases where the first shot of a burst differs from subsequent shots - so you chronograph with multiple shots.

If you fire long bursts and the inline regulator cannot refresh quickly enough then you lose operating pressure and lose energy - a ‘modern’ low pressure internally regulated paintball gun is much less effected by that then a high pressure mechanical one operating at the cylinders full regulated output

If you change a spring, (or adjust it, or the internal space - as per the chrono adjustment of mechanical paintball guns then you change the power/velocity)

If you change barrel then it affects the power & velocity. My X7 would be used at standard 280fps events and CQB 250fps events.  I could happily just switch barrel between the usual and a 3” (of which most of it was the ‘muzzle break’ so effectively a 1” barrel)

This was a very inefficient barrel as there was no space for the ball to accelerate, but would reliably drop the 30fps - I needed to go through chrono but didn’t need to adjust 

An excessively long barrel would also lose efficiency 

If you use a gas that’s affected by heat then it will cool/warm during the day and also cool/warm as you shoot which will change its performance

CO2 in paintball is affected by atmospheric conditions - usually cold in the morning and velocity increases during the day.

With long bursts it will also drop temperature, potentially go liquid and drop or increase velocity depending on the gun design - in extremes the barrel tip will snow 

Change the balls during the day and the physics down the barrel will change - to a degree paintballs distort under pressure which changes their efficiency & performance down the barrel 

With airsoft having plastic this isn’t the case, but different balls could bounce, float on a cushion of air or resist against the barrel under friction 

Bring in shaped projectiles and it’s a whole different situation.  First strikes in paintball retain their velocity and energy for much further along their flight, and suddenly drop

A first strike is half a paintball with a fin on the back - it hits ‘harder’ as it retains energy 

Add backspin and you also change the physics of flight - risking losing energy if you’re hitting a physical element, but a good backspin will aid the balls flight.

A well maintained gun will be more consistent than a poorly maintained gun, and a if the owner/operator is confident in what they do then they may happily adjust to the top of the velocity / energy limit knowing that they will reliably be site legal 

(Unlike my X7 which received virtually no maintenance but was fully reliable)

Site rules and chronograph regimes should take into account all types - and the staff should know how to enforce them 

There’s nothing wrong with HPA in airsoft, it should provide consistency and tagged to enforce 

4 hours ago, AirSniper said:

Moan, whinge, whine, moan.

BBs at 1J can and do break things and cause injuries; you saying they do not does not change reality.

I've noticed that the level of bastardry tends to increase with HPA players but it definitely isn't limited to them. I've seen plenty of cuntery with all other types of guns/power sources in my limited time playing from people not taking hits to overshooting and everything inbetween.

It sounds like the field is poorly run, especially if they're not locking the valves/regulators post chrono with clearly identifiable and difficult to remove tags. As others have mentioned, i've seen optics/lights etc smashed/cracked/damaged by 1.1j AEGs.

Most of the HPA players at my local CQB are actually marshals.

HPA is the airsoft version of the 'BMW driver'. In reality anyone can behave like a dick if they are so inclined, regardless of their chosen platform.

1 hour ago, Cannonfodder said:

Sounds to me like someone's just a whinny little bitch who loves to complain and blame their shortcomings on everyone else 

What have I told you about beating around the bush, Cannon? Tell us what you really think! 🤣

Today saw a return to Airsoft Plantation, near Braintree in Essex, for my son's first game since September 2022.

A cold morning saw probably about 150 people getting ready in the excellent safe zone; however, I always wonder why some players leave it to the last minute to arrive

As usual, the safety briefing was concise, to the point and genuinely amusing.  Immediately afterwards, the first game was briefed but then had to be changed to allow for a newly fallen tree to be made safe.  The schedule for the day was shuffled around with no fuss.

Airsoft Plantation do not chrono guns; chronos are available on the range and players are informed that it is their responsibility to ensure that their weapons are under the limit.  There is a lot of spot checking and anyone using a hot gun is "asked" to leave the site.

The games were well designed and well marshalled and generally played in a gentlemanly but competitive manner; there were a few allegations of non hit taking on both sides, but no more than would normally be expected.  At one point, in a squad based game, we did hear two nearby squads (one from each side) being instructed by a marshal to disengage and fall back in order to reduce tension; this seemed to be well handled by the marshal involved.

The games ran well, were challenging and were fun, although my view may be biased by our side (blue) winning all of them, despite an attempt to balance the teams.

Overall, my son and I had an excellent day; next stop is Camp Anzio, near Leek.

Weapons used:

Me: Ares VZ58, PTS Masada (AK version), Milbro Classic M1911 CO2
Son: LCT AKMS, G&G AKM, ASG Commander XP18 CO2
Shared: JG G3A3 (first run out since being bought and upgraded)

Had another great day at Worthing today. It was pretty chilly, but it was dry so I could actually use my m700! People always say gas rifles are crap in the cold, but today I had to put a smaller gas router into the bolt as it was chronoing a bit hot on green gas! Ended up on red gas with a narrower router and it was between 2 - 2.2J, so exactly where I needed it. I was fortunate enough not to run into too many cheaters which was nice, but my friends said there were a few out there :(

I also contributed to someone throwing their toys out of the proverbial pram. They kept coming back to the same spot and I kept on sniping them every single time they went there and they had no idea where I was due to my ghillie and good choice of firing position combined with the fact the gas m700 makes basically no noise whatsover. They then got angry, blindfired around a corner... right into a marshall's face, who then had a good stern word with them while they had a temper tantrum. I was watching the whole thing through my scope :P 

The fact that it was dry all day until a brief shower in the afternoon meant it was a fantastic day for me. It has been really wet the past few game days, and the game days before that I was either injured (inflamed nerve in my head giving me a headache as soon as I did anything mildly active, followed by a strained foot after I took a tumble on my daily run) or still working out the m700 setup I want. Today was the first day I had the m700 where I wanted it and also was able to play the whole day and I'm super happy that I did.

Roll on next game day!

Went out to D23 yesterday. Indoor CQB... just how I like it. Pretty good numbers. For some reason they split teams down the room which meant around 8 kids on my half ended up on my team which made up around half the team with 0 on the other.

But that aside we still seemed pretty evenly matched. Winning around 50% of games for each team. And the ones we one were won by a long shot.

Had great fun running the shadow 2 for the first time. Got countless kills with it. The best being on 'mainstreet madness'. A mad head to head dash up one lane where you can get tagged back in infinite times. First team to oppositions starting wall wins. We had them suppressed hard and with what I thought was just a few players left I made a dash for their wall. As I passed their cover points there were 3 behind one wall 5 behind the next and 2 behind the second to last, in which I took them all out with the Shadow. Buzzing hard I ran for the wall but the final piece of cover had one guy holding back who took me out 2 meters from victory! Thankfully 2 comrades close behind took him out and grabbed victory. By far the most successful streak I have achieved which left me high the rest of the day.

The Shadow 2 performed flawlessly and I would say matches, if not supersedes the accuracy of my MWS. And my god does it kick on CO2! So happy with it and will be with me every game from now on. Once I get a few spare mags might even try some pistol only games it's that good.

Absolutely cracking day at Camouflage Bournemouth today. Took my lad and one of his mates who has been bitten by the bug too. 

Despite the frosty weather causing a few grumbles about cold fingertips, the lads got into it quickly, and in the first game, as attackers, we made solid, if slow progress in pushing the enemy back through the game site. 

A quick trip back to the safe zone to bomb up, roles were reversed and we dug in ready to defend. In five years of airsoft, I have to say this particular game was one of the most purely entertaining and rewarding times I've had on an airsoft field. Being side by side with the boy and his mate as we picked off the advancing blue team, time after time, was pure action movie glee.

Having the morning mist still lingering, plus a fair amount of smokes added to the atmosphere, but it was the teamwork, the communication from our team mates, and the sheer number of enemy kills we racked up that made it such good fun. I'm a fairly reserved shooter (usually run an MWS but I figured today was too cold, so ran the NGRS) sticking to semi, and pleasingly, my son has adopted this too. Within 15 minutes of holding one particular spot, we'd all used at least double the rounds we'd spent during the entire first game, and the enemy hadn't reached their second objective yet. 

I rarely have to recharge mags during a game but the three of us had to refill mags three times as we absolutely destroyed those blue bastards.  This continued through the day, as our team completed objectives in a quarter of the time it took the blues. 

Makes such a difference being with team mates who are all like-minded in their approach to the game, talk to each other and help each other out, rather than have some Jack prick at the back barking at everyone to "PUSH UP!!!"

A truly fantastic day with some really good players, and a great way to kick off the first game of the year. 

Good but chilly day at AWA.  Our side ended up with a party of 12 rentals who's English was less than optimum.  Lead to a rather funny incident with the marshal yelling at one of them for taking his eye pro off in the game zone - Dude's soul left his body for a minute LOL.  But they were a good laugh and certainly put in the leg work when it mattered.

Started the day off with my favourite game "Touching Cloth" which is essentially Capture the Flag, but with the flag on top of the bunker hill, with people shooting at you from either side and the rear.

Managed to get a decent run with the Auto 9 - including rushing a marshal in the kill house at the end of the day whilst shouting "dead or alive, you're coming with me" - well you kind-a have to don't you?  Think I'm going to get a shotgun Scabbard for it as it sounds less painful than cutting a hole in my leg - plus its too big for a regular holster.

Other than that it was another day as DMR due to the Specna not working.  Entertaining exchange with a mate on the other side who was just out of range taunting me as the BB's landed inches from his feet.  Also domed one of my side when he stood up in front of me whilst I was looking down-scope.  He wasn't tall enough to move into my vision, but was tall enough to be 3" in front of the barrel when I sent a BB down range.  Sounded like a branch of a tree breaking it was that loud.

The boys M16 also isn't feeding, so that's another mystery to solve.  Little smart arse came up with a good plan for his gas pistols....  Stashing those fisherman hand warmers in the bottom of his mag pouches.  Kept them working nicely throughout the day.

Certainly better than last time out with torrential rain and multiple gun failures 🤣

Edited by Dan Robinson

Took my almost new AK out to an indoor range which was pretty cool until it crapped itself and started firing multiple shots on semi-auto.  Bit disheartening since it's my first one but the shop said they'll look at it under warranty so hopefully it's not a lemon!