The 'How Did Your Airsoft Day Go? Thread

Skara

Only played half the day today, since my friend's grandson wasn't up for playing and my other friend's GBBR AKM wasn't too happy with just how cold and wet it was. However, it was a very, very fun day and I really really enjoyed myself.

First order of business was a switcheroo. My m14 DMR was sorted (not a "DMR" but that's what the stock is called!), so I needed to collect that and give the tech my faux wood m14 as that isn't feeding. I also needed to give him my nasty m14 gearbox for the short m14 that he already has, so that'll be fun when that's sorted! I was planning on running the m14 DMR, however... the scope I brought for it did not have good eye relief for the m14 DMR stock. Plus, the forecast today was cold and incredibly wet, so while it was an opportunity to see how it would work out with the flip up scope caps, using optics in the rain is never great. I didn't really want to zero the scope since I'd just be removing it afterwards and putting it on another gun anyway. However, I also had my new, totally stock A&K m249 that I bought as a black Friday deal. I wasn't expecting anything, since I've heard the hop units are wank, the box mags are unreliable and the gearboxes eventually die, but I wanted to see how it was shooting. Had my friend around and he has one, so he showed me how to adjust the hop, we set it up for .25s and... it was actually really good. Floated them out to about 50m and it was accurate enough; not too fussed about pinpoint accuracy as I just want to put a wall of fire up. The main issues were... it chronoed at 0.5J and the ROF was only about 15rps. However, with how it was shooting I decided to take that out instead of the m14 today and oh boy was it a good idea.

First game we had to take a flag from one base to another, with the other team allowed to be anywhere above the ridgeline that runs along the site. We were down the hill a little and had to push through to a base on the other side. We were pinned on the corner, so a lot of people went on a flank, but a handful of us stayed to make a nuisance of ourselves. Give a sniper a support gun and shenanigans ensue, as I slow crawled over the ridgeline without anyone seeing and tucked into a barricade made of branches. This gave me a view on a pair of ghillies to the left of us who were stopping people crossing over the path, so up the m249 went and I sprayed them with full auto. Hit one of them, then saw his friend moving up to medic him and I sprayed him down as well. We were then able to push past the ridgeline, but I went and held the flank. One of my other friends told me that there were some ghillies trying to flank us again, so I went and held over there. One sprayed his load (heh) too early and hit a bush, but gave me an idea where he was so I moved off to a tree when I heard he was distracted by my friend, got on his flank and sprayed him down again. Game ended without us managing to get the flag up, but now sides were flipping and I had an evil idea...

So next game we flipped around and I set up in a spot I usually use for sniping. It looks down a long path, so while I definitely did not have the range for long shots, I could stop anyone trying to cross over the path at this end. Furthermore, the only way I could get flanked is if they managed to push through or went around the entire site, which entailed going past both our respawn and the base we had to stop them getting to, so I was confident. I managed to get a LOT of hits from this spot with the m249, spraying full auto at everything that moved while two other friends (one with a VSR, one with his AKM GBBR) had another angle and we had a really nasty crossfire. We held them at this corner for almost the entire game, but with AKM friend running out of ammo they eventually managed to rush those two and take them out. However, they forgot about me and I went to ground and waited. When I heard the call for 60 seconds remaining, I got out of my spot and started following the enemy players. One sniper on the other team waited the entire game to shoot me, but when it came to it he either missed or had run out of ammo as he shot, I heard where it came from and I took him out. He said that he waited the whole game, but ran out of ammo. However, the entire enemy team had their backs to me and I just rinsed everyone with the m249 from behind. With 5 seconds left I did eventually get taken out by a respawning player, but I had just wiped out a massive chunk of their team, hampering their push so they also didn't get the flag in either. The two who had the other angle watched the whole thing and were laughing their asses off watching it all happen. What made it sweeter is I was on the other team to some people who get irate over getting shot and it was very amusing hitting them multiple times :D 

I called it there though as the rain was picking up and the battery compartment on my m249 is super exposed. Plus I needed some deans connectors fitted so I didn't have to use my crappy tamiya to deans converter, so I got that sorted too. I learned a lot about it though, so I'll need to tape part of the box mag on because it just clips off way too easily and could let water/dirt into the mag which isn't good, plus I learned that I don't need to remove the barrel to put the battery in as the handguard clips in so I can remove that instead. Also, the barrel is absolutely filthy, so I'll give that a clean and it might actually push the power up. We'll see though, since next game day is the Christmas game, so I'll be santa hat, a tinsel scarf and an m249 also covered in tinsel. 'Tis the season, after all!

I also tested a nuprol midcap and a PTS midcap to see if those m4 mags would feed, but they didn't. Might pick up a Classic Army one to try, as I would like some midcaps for absolute last-ditch ammo if my box mag runs out and I'm still in a firefight. Still, incredibly fun, but very wet and very cold and I'm glad we called it at lunch.

Oh, my friends also showed me how my SMG shoulder holster worked and I love it. It's a bit cold for the mac11, but the mp5k will go incredibly nicely on it, so I'm going to try that next game day. Santa with an m249 and an mp5k is a lot of firepower...

And I got caught on camera for once. Then again, I wasn't exactly being subtle with an LMG!

image.thumb.jpeg.e1081bf47ff93ed91255fd8deeba8833.jpeg

Edited by Impulse

1 hour ago, Badgerlicious said:

Wet as hell and all my guns stopped working 👍

All of them?  How many were there?

A good day at Special Ops on Saturday... last of the year - probably last woodland skirmish there until the middle of February or even March because Carlos is going to concentrate on getting the second site (CQB) up-and-running for the start of February.   

Maybe @Dan Robinson will fill in about the gameplay (props to him for a game-winning smoke grenade in the VIP round) , but personally I enjoyed this one quite a bit more than the previous visit.  This time I did bag some really nice kills, made some memorable pushes, and generally had a nice chat with lots of people between rounds. 

image.png.76be3661d43e82e7ed881416477e018a.png

Had a few problems with my kit though:
The DE M906C was noticeably screechy - my fault as I'd attempted a motor swap the previous day.  Tweaking the motor height and even removing and re-inserting the motor didn't help.  And it stopped working altogether in the late afternoon (duff battery due to the cold?)  It's all working fine now, and doesn't sound toooo bad, so I think the weather really might have to shoulder some of the blame.  Dunno, guv. 

The TM AUG HC showed a low velocity at chrono - just the 220 fps with 0.28's, but when the DE decided to stop playing ball, the AUG stepped up and proved that TM really do spread some magic dust in their internals - I still managed to get kills at respectable range with it.  And the noise of it spitting out BB's at ~20rps turns heads in the right way.  It's a cracking gun, thanks @Asomodai for selling it to me :)

The Tippmann didn't get a run out after showing some promise when I was prepping my kit... that's documented here 

And my goggles spent a lot of the day fogged up, in spite of two applications of No Fog.  The extreme cold, plus my mesh face mask deflecting my breath into them overwhelmed their usual fog resistance.   Perhaps I'll get a pair of mesh goggles as backup.  Is @heroshark still making them?

Roll on next year!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

7 hours ago, Colin Allen said:

All of them?  How many were there?

My tac41 I think got water in the hop so it just stopped hopping. My mk23 was shooting at .3j and I vented my mag crawling, and in that same crawl I managed to snap the cable tie holding my aap holster in place. 

It was just a cacophony of failures right before lunch, so I packed it in.

I got a lift from a friend so I was limited on room, hence no backups. I just know to not bring the tac out in the rain again. I have other guns that handle it much better. 

Edited by Badgerlicious

7 hours ago, Badgerlicious said:

My tac41 I think got water in the hop so it just stopped hopping. My mk23 was shooting at .3j and I vented my mag crawling, and in that same crawl I managed to snap the cable tie holding my aap holster in place. 

It was just a cacophony of failures right before lunch, so I packed it in.

I got a lift from a friend so I was limited on room, hence no backups. I just know to not bring the tac out in the rain again. I have other guns that handle it much better. 

Ouch!  What an unfortunate morning!

Likely the final game of the year for us.  Skirmish time has been a bit curtailed recently, but happily we made it out for a morning session at Spec Ops MK. 

The boy was most excited to try out his recently acquired Golden Eagle HiCapa.  This is our first experience of anything gas powered, but I pre-warned him that with sub-zero temperatures and green gas he should set his expectations pretty low.  That said, his pistol chrono'd at 280ish on 0.2s reasonably consistently.  He got a couple of kills with it during the day so was pretty happy.  Slight issue with the mag venting unexpectedly from time to time so I'll have to look into that (assuming it wasn't just the cold).

My Double Eagle 906C continues to be ever reliable, though it's only doing about 0.77 joules on 0.28s so I think a spring change is due.  

My memory of the games is already fading, but highlights for me were getting my first 'knife-kill' whilst clearing the central compound and some optimistic but poorly executed attempts to rush objectives (until I was too knackered to run back from respawn anymore).  Getting right in with close engagements and sweeping through villages and compounds has become my favourite way to play (on the rare occasions I can get that close and I'm not too knackered to move fast enough) so I'm very much looking forward to the new indoor CQB site.  And also being sheltered from shit weather.

Had my Apple watch on this game, so a picture probably tells a thousand words about my day in this case:

image.thumb.png.9d303cf3090ea91531999473424f88e5.png

5 minutes ago, Gunboat Diplomat said:

Likely the final game of the year for us.  Skirmish time has been a bit curtailed recently, but happily we made it out for a morning session at Spec Ops MK. 

The boy was most excited to try out his recently acquired Golden Eagle HiCapa.  This is our first experience of anything gas powered, but I pre-warned him that with sub-zero temperatures and green gas he should set his expectations pretty low.  That said, his pistol chrono'd at 280ish on 0.2s reasonably consistently.  He got a couple of kills with it during the day so was pretty happy.  Slight issue with the mag venting unexpectedly from time to time so I'll have to look into that (assuming it wasn't just the cold).

My Double Eagle 906C continues to be ever reliable, though it's only doing about 0.77 joules on 0.28s so I think a spring change is due.  

My memory of the games is already fading, but highlights for me were getting my first 'knife-kill' whilst clearing the central compound and some optimistic but poorly executed attempts to rush objectives (until I was too knackered to run back from respawn anymore).  Getting right in with close engagements and sweeping through villages and compounds has become my favourite way to play (on the rare occasions I can get that close and I'm not too knackered to move fast enough) so I'm very much looking forward to the new indoor CQB site.  And also being sheltered from shit weather.

Had my Apple watch on this game, so a picture probably tells a thousand words about my day in this case:

image.thumb.png.9d303cf3090ea91531999473424f88e5.png

Drunk again eh? 😂😂

On 03/12/2023 at 15:50, JimFromHorsham said:

Scraped in a mornings walkon at Dogtag airsoft , wet and wild springs to mind but some great gameplay , didn’t see or hear any problems and everyone seemed to be having fun , rolled out with the cyma Mk18 which for an out of the box gun performed flawlessly on .28s , picture was pre downpour but the trusty smock kept me warm and dry :) 

IMG_6364.thumb.jpeg.635c0d306c3c6b144d28c4fff613c88b.jpeg

Which smock please please?

I've never found one that didn't cause you to sweat like your wearing a bin bag!

6 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Which smock please please?

I've never found one that didn't cause you to sweat like your wearing a bin bag!

https://keelaoutdoors.com/product/ventile-heritage-smock/

had it quite a few years now , one of the best purchases I’ve ever made , very comfy , warm , breathable and tough 👍🏼

2 minutes ago, JimFromHorsham said:

https://keelaoutdoors.com/product/ventile-heritage-smock/

had it quite a few years now , one of the best purchases I’ve ever made , very comfy , warm , breathable and tough 👍🏼

I've seen Ventile stuff before.  Never imagined that it would be breathable enough for airsoft.  Cheers Jim!

If anyone is wondering if expensive wet weather gear is worth it, my Barbour leggings were bought in about 1998 and are still 100% OK even after a few years of daily dispatch riding through the winter.  

18 hours ago, Colin Allen said:

Ouch!  What an unfortunate morning!

Very.

But in two weeks we have our annual christmas game, so I get to run about looking like a fool win an mp5. That'll more than make up for it 😁

6 minutes ago, Badgerlicious said:

Very.

But in two weeks we have our annual christmas game, so I get to run about looking like a fool win an mp5. That'll more than make up for it 😁

Christmas game and a MP5? Perfect for a John McClaine loadout

• Supporters
16 hours ago, Gunboat Diplomat said:

Slight issue with the mag venting unexpectedly from time to time so I'll have to look into that (assuming it wasn't just the cold).

Almost certainly the cold.

Didn't have an airsoft day as such, but spent a solid 8 or 9 hours helping Carlos with the new CQB site.  We were building a structure all day - well one side of it anyway - and forgot to stop for lunch.  Good discussions and stories exchanged as well as talking about what types of games to play in the new place as well as a different kind of "warm up" game for the regular site.

Poor chap has a lot of work ahead of him to be ready for the opening next year, so I hope the regulars of Special Ops appreciate the effort and money he's putting into it when it opens.  He has a model of the final layout showing a good mix of buildings and open areas, so, even though I'm not a great CQB person, I think this will have something for everyone except Bush Wookies and DMRs.

Looking forward to some pistol and shotgun games.  Plus it's slightly nearer my gaff too.

All looking forward to the annual Xmas game at Ironsight Airsoft, 30 minutes in and my DMR shat itself, I think a stripped gear 😭

Still, a good day with my AEG, loads of my son's friends were there so he had a great time, and a great way to end the airsoft year.

With the lad being back from university, we went to Airsoft Plantation's Christmas Shoot today.

With around 200 players present the site was busy, with a fair number of players dressing for the occasion.

In the first game we, the red team, had to kidnap the other team's players in fancy dress from the village and get them back to our regen, gaining a point for each such player captured.  Regular blue team players (those not in fancy dress) had two lives while we had infinite regens on the Firebreak.

A group of us set off on a wide flanking manoeuvre and fought our way into the village in the face of stiff resistance.  The lad got an excellent grenade kill on three chaps in a structure just before the grenade they lobbed at him went off.  It was wonderful mayhem, during which we wiped out the defenders and captured a number of fancy dressed folk..

This game was then reversed and we decided to defend against anyone repeating our tactic.  Having been hit, we fell back and defended against Blues who had captured the suburbs and were trying to push into the village from that direction.  I was hit again just before the end of the game; the attackers were still trying to break into the village when the game ended.

The next game involved collecting presents that Santa had deposited all over the very large site; some could only be collected by the red team, some only by the blue team and others by either team.  The blue team apparently decided that the best way to win the game was to capture our repository at the DEA base so that we could not get any presents there; they sent a large force to do this, which they succeeding in doing after our players had transported several presents there.  However, this seriously weakened their present collection team and they failed to collect enough, so we still won the game.  During the latter part of this game, the MPi-KM started misbehaving so my contribution to shooting people was limited.

Lunch followed, including a raffle with some rather good prizes including three pistols and several packs of pyro.  We had ten tickets; two prizes went to players with numbers one lower and one higher than ours :(.

After lunch, during which the catering van provided a proper Christmas dinner for around 140 of the players, we had to defend the mortar pits against the blue team; three presents were located in the pits and they had to get a pyro to each of them in turn and blow them up.  However, only players in fancy dress could transport and use pyro.  Attackers had infinite regens while defenders had two lives.  The lad and I, with me now using my somewhat underpowered but long ranged MPi-AK-74N, which I had just finished building, started off in a favoured forward location, from where we put up a stiff fight before being hit.  After falling back, the lad was shot by some of our own players, who seemed to think that a player facing the same way as them and shooting at the enemy must be an enemy.  I fought on longer, potting attackers who were trying to mass behind the comms truck, before finally being hit.

In the return of this, played in rapidly diminishing light, we attacked via the comms truck, with the lad carrying out a solitary charge with a pistol, and then getting down on his belt buckle and crawling along behind a berm like the trained semi-professional and Cambrian Patrol silver medal winner that he is.  The game ended soon after this.

It was a really good, fun day and it was good for the two of us to fight together again; we hope to get at least one more day in before he returns to university in January.

On arriving home, I changed the spring in the MPi-AK-74N, which is now shooting at a pleasant 1J.  I then decided to test the MPi-KM, which seemed to be running perfectly again!

Weapons used:

Me:
CYMA based MPi-KM
CYMA based MPi-AK-74N
Cybergun M1911 Railgun (CO2)

The lad:
G&G C7A2
G&G GR4 G26
ASG Commander XP18 (CO2)

Real Steel day today - had a good run too with decent stands.  The ol' man was not having such a good day despite getting a two for one shot on his very first Pull.  One stand had a low flying incomer that had its black underbelly facing you as it came out of the shade - so he had no chance with is ropery vision and was shooting the grass ten feet in front of him.  His new shooting name is "Weed Whacker". LOL.

Ended up beating him by 7 shots. 😎

Edited by Dan Robinson

Last game of the year at Killzone Airsoft today! I turned up after lunch as I'm on nights.

Fully KMCS'd up because I know you guys like that!

Ran my MK23 and TM skirmish hi capa both with MP5 primary adapters. I ran dual lines so I could be a pain in the arse and be super sneaky and then switch to my hi capa for objective pushing!

Was a fun day! Mainly did it because I have very little free time and miss playing CQB!

Awesome Sunday morning at Driver Wood. First game i was using the new SSX303, mags loaded with red gas. I can only surmise that it was too cold for it (8 degrees c) - even keeping the next mag warmed up in a pocket, FPS and range was wildly inconsistent, and dare fire three or more shots in succession, and the BBs dropped 10m on front of me. Still, managed to about break even, with a memorable charge with the Glock19 on a kid who wasn't keen to accept the (albeit low powered) hits from the SSX303!

Second game I swapped onto a MK18 AEG that I had largely re-built from parts - its first proper skirmish, and it performed superbly. With a rolling objective capture, 25 re-spawns allowed for the defenders on each objective, I managed to pull off a flank that left me a few meters directly behind the objective being defended. Must have shot at least 10-15 of the enemy team (mostly a very unsporting in the back!) before those returning from their spawn lit me up good and proper. I'd like to think that my little action there was a key element to us winning that game.

Also first game wearing my new Multicam Tropic combats - awesome! Cheapo set from Aliexpress, and only an hour or so needed on the sewing machine to lengthen the legs and sleeves to fit...

17.12.23.JPG

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Christmas game at Red Alert. Airsoft is srs bzns. 

SO SRS!
Was a bloody great day, and I finally played instead of marshalling, for the first time since the end of july!
Some really great fun, with Santas Vs Elves, an AMAZING lunch of Chicken, mash, sprouts, carrots, yorkies, pigs in blankets, and delicious gravy, followed by mince pies, hot chocolate and mulled wine.
Was knackered after lunch
, cos I'm an old git, so went back to marshalling and live streaming to the facebook group.

The only downside to the day was @Lozart being there ;)

Here's both the live streams in one youtube version. Crappy quality, cos I was streaming from my phone in a wood in the middle of nowhere. Some funny business at the begining, or skip to 30:30 for mortar fun.
image.thumb.jpeg.e55aa63c1fb199c3de082894adad8055.jpeg

Edited by Skullchewer

Much better day this week. It was the Worthing christmas game, so had a few people dressed up, my mate donned his bright green suit that was originally for AI (green team of course 😁). I ran my mp5k with a new stock and loudener, which was nice to shoot and loud af, as intended, and had a little ribbon bow to dispense christmas cheer at 1.1j. Though I have found the connection point on my hpa line has a leak, so I needed to top up at lunch, when I can usually run two game days on one tank of air. Also my aap01 with a front grip thing. Shoots nice but has some feeding issues.

Still, lots of fun, lots of running around, no chances to be sneaky with an elf hat and a nice red cloak. Got swapped to the other team for one game after lunch, and it was of course one of the best smoke grenade throw of my life 🤣

412190091_695723019203274_4100258368755731139_n.jpg