How often do you play?

DanBow

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I probably manage a game once every 5 or 6 weeks. I can sometimes get a few more games in if I use a some holidays when I'm rostered to work a weekend.

I'll try get a midweek CQB in every now and then if I can't make a weekend woodland game.

I should probably thin my gun collection down a bit, because the amount of guns I have Vs how often I play is quite silly!

7 hours ago, leadly said:

I should probably thin my gun collection down a bit,

Wash your mouth out ! 🤣

9 hours ago, leadly said:

I should probably thin my gun collection down a bit, because the amount of guns I have Vs how often I play is quite silly!

Don’t be stupid

How about roughly 25 guns when playing once a year, rising to over 30 while not playing and moving to twice per year ?  

Perhaps I might get to 3 next year, or dare I try and align my social life to fit 5????

I've only played twice this year - I've been selling off some of my Airsoft stuff to thin things out to the essentials.

I've been airgun shooting loads instead: about 6 times a month. I've become slightly obsessed with 25m Benchrest.

10 hours ago, Impulse said:

or hikers will spend on boots and backpacks and sometimes camping gear?

And alot of that stuff is over priced low quality crap which starts to fail after a few uses

17 hours ago, DanBow said:

So how often do you all play?

Every Sunday, but then again I live in a different country with different costs :P

9 minutes ago, Skara said:

Every Sunday, but then again I live in a different country with different costs :P

What are the costs like for a days Airsoft or weekender in Italy if you don’t mind me asking?

3 minutes ago, Wavey_Gravey said:

What are the costs like for a days Airsoft or weekender in Italy if you don’t mind me asking?

Zero, we pay a yearly insurance and club subscription fee (ours is €70) and that's it.

For tournaments we usually pay around €20/person for the short ones and about 30/35 for the 8h+ ones.

Interesting thread. I try to get get a "milsim"/24h(+) game once a month between october-may, with some skirmishes sprinkled in between. Sometimes we'll travel to a particularly cool site and get an airbnb the night before. And I tend to take summer off just because of holidays and that sort of stuff. And real life gets in the way too. I managed to get ill 3 times in a row between october and december last year so had to pass up on some games.

For me getting to a 24h game is £200 taking into account ticket, fuel and food. It's about 20hours of play (say 4hrs sleep) and about 8 hours of driving total. The sites near me are around an hour away so i think I get good value-for-money-for-time. But I do notice it leaving my bank account of course. I would like to get to skirmishes more. If the difference is either going by myself or not going at all, I'll go by myself. But if I do go by myself its half "i have the itch" and half "i have a new bit of kit i want to try out but don't want to take it for a first spin at a 24h game".  The thread about "fireteams" sums it up really. When your "normal" is playing with your friends in a somewhat organised squad, with a squad and command radio net (even if comms can be iffy!) then my expectations for a skirmish aren't lower as such, they're just different. 

I would like to do more skirmishes next year though. Mostly because I am moving so I want to check out some sites i've not been to whilst I have the chance. And when I do move I'll be closer to my airsoft friends so easier to do skirmishes with them. (when it comes to the 24h games we are equally far away, just in different directions). I'll also have quite a few really cool sites all within about an hours drive so that'll be nice too. I also hope to have some "life changes" which will probably impact my ability to go away for entire weekends but whatever i think it'll be worth it.

Edited by GeorgePlaysAirsoft

1 hour ago, Wavey_Gravey said:

That is very reasonable, I’m guessing that fee is for one site only or does it cover a few?

Your tournaments are cheaper than our walk on days! 😂

We have our own private field, so does every club.

As long as you're under the same federation, there is no extra fee.

Not as often as I'd like. But you know, life.

With two kids playing for three football teams and two athletics clubs between them a weekend game is a rarity (one so far!) so I play CQB on a Thursday night at Z-mart whenever I can fit it in somewhere between being 'dad's taxi' and my other hobbies - mountain biking being the main thing I do on thursday nights when I can.

Will probably play more airsoft as the weather gets more crap.

i usually play once a month, occasionally twice a month, but occasionally need to take a break due to other commitments, especially since i became an uncle last year. 

22 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Well..... no ....   because then I'd feel silly with my  Osprey body armour complete with brassards and neck collar. 😍😳🤬

nothing wrong with the Osprey..  i have mine as my main rig (though i have removed the brassards and collar)

looking for a more lightweight option to use with the M249 as in the gunner role, i wont need to carry as much kit

12 hours ago, Tommikka said:

How about roughly 25 guns when playing once a year, rising to over 30 while not playing and moving to twice per year?

36 at last count, at least 7 of which have never left the house, and 3 more have never been fired "in anger"

On 28/09/2023 at 22:37, Dan Robinson said:

How much does a use able fishing or golfing hobby cost to get started?

Second hand set of clubs from the charity shop £15, bag from same £5, and practice on the school field after the kids have fucked off home, £8 a round at my local ancient uncared for site... OR £2K on clubs alone and £100 per hour lessons, sky's the limit club fees etc.

I use the same DAM rod that my grandfather bought me for my ninth birthday, along with the tacklebox and seat that my dad got me for he same event.   £150 a year ticket at one of the county's best waters.  Or you could do marlin in the Caribbean and pretend to be Hemmingway for Christ knows.  

Anyhow, airsoft.  Like George I play once a month but March to October filmsim or milsim (350 mile round trip so £80 diesel plus £75 ticket).  Skirmish a few times in the winter.  Much prefer to get away properly once a month and truly unwind, but then Mrs TPH travelled a lot for work in her earlier youth, so family hols are not required, and since we play together with our lad, and sometimes our daughter, it is family time.  

Leaving the heavy theory out of it.  If you decide to learn new lessons when undertaking the same task, you'll get more out of it.  Apply it to hobbies and they don't get stale.  Complex airsoft games employ so many skills that I doubt I've enough life left to exhaust them even if I did develop them.  

How often do I play? A lot less than I'd like to. this year has been shocking with only a couple of events and no skirmish days. Life, family, funds, everything has seemed to be stacked against it this year but i live in hope and look forward with anticipation when i do manage to have the stars align.

On 28/09/2023 at 16:52, DanBow said:

How often is constantly?

Hope you don't mind but I'm pinching that. 😁

Used to play every weekend in the first year but airsoft is just way too demanding financially and free time wise. I was like a proper crack cocaine addict. In the second year I played every second weekend. And I dialed it back this year so I manage to play once a month.

Edited by Krisz

Start of the year didn't play a single time, nephew kept insisting I take him and now it's given me the itch again and I've been going twice a month.

Downside to being an adult though is picking and choosing what hobbies to sink money into.

Airsoft, golf, kayaking, and snowboarding when I can. 

6 hours ago, DanBow said:

Thank you all for replying, I don't feel too bad about only managing once a month or so now. 

No need to feel bad about how often you play, especially if you have other commitments like work or family. Anyone who expects others to make slinging plastic their main priority over more important things like family or being able to pay bills is simply a cunt 

Once this year, was meant to be two but train strikes and working in hospitality. Twice last year....

More next year guaranteed as my kid turns shooting age

2 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

One thing I've noticed since i don't get every weekend free anymore is that I'm far more picky about where i play and what I want from a site

Exactly so.

My two games were Oakham to shoot with a particular group of arseholes for a day and Newbury to shoot with family. 

Now I could have maybe gone to a "London" site two other times balancing family and work but choose an extra day with family instead of 3 hours on a bus and maybe a decent skirmish.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.