The 'How Did Your Airsoft Day Go? Thread

Skara

19 minutes ago, Skullchewer said:

If you don't like bruises and cuts you're playing the wrong game. 

Too right.  The number of times I've taken a tumble, and hurt myself to protect the pew are too many to count.  The only time I get annoyed is when I'm walking off with my hand up and someone shoot you in the arris.

FFS you're paying good money to be shot at, and we spend a lot of money making sure we can shoot mofo's.  Why the feck would you whine about it? LOL?

Edited by Dan Robinson

On 09/07/2023 at 20:50, OTH21 said:

Yeah, I'm definitely not writing the site off my list. It's convenient, good facilities and the game zone itself suited my style of play. I had a few good trades and got the drop on a couple of people , as did others on me. 

Driver Wood is my local site, and i really enjoy it. Its a great site, plenty of thick vegetation to allow sneaky three dimensional play, interspersed with open areas to add variety.  Definitely don't write it off - from all that I've been to, its by far the most professionally run and managed, and the safe zone feels, well, safe.

In a year and a half of going there, I've only ever witnessed one proper argument between players, and I can't fault the manner in which the marshals reacted to that situation - ultimately though, I appreciate there is only so much that they can do. Seeing that kind of behaviour definitely leaves a bad taste, but it really isn't something I see as endemic to Driver Wood. I tend to go only to the morning sessions, plausibly people might be a little more level headed when they are less tired?

• Supporters

Why are we only ever hearing one player complain ?, what nobody else who plays the site ever gets bruises or feels some gats, hpa in particular, are running hot. Nope. 

My only other thought is that words got around, & he's getting the kind of well deserved special treatment usually reserved for segregated prisoners & TV presenters😈

🤣

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Dan Robinson said:

Can we include Stop Oil Protesters in that too?  

Definitely, lol the irony that those protesting about pollution are actually making it worse with traffic jams everywhere. 

I'm thankful that I'm a long way from the typical areas affected, with no plans to go near them, except by choo-choo🚅, which so far they've not been able to fuck with. 

12 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Definitely, lol the irony that those protesting about pollution are actually making it worse with traffic jams everywhere. 

I'm thankful that I'm a long way from the typical areas affected, with no plans to go near them, except by choo-choo🚅, which so far they've not been able to fuck with. 

I would imagine attempting to block or disrupt rail lines would inevitably end up resulting in a one under, followed by near-instant abandonment of that idea 😅

4 hours ago, Tackle said:

I've yet to have first hand experience, but I do travel through their favourite London areas frequently.  I'm not sure how I would react, but those oil based banners and high vis vests may be used as a weapon against them.

Have thought about signing myself up to one of their training days and taking some used oil from my van and giving them a taste of their own medicine.

I'm all for saving the planet - hell, I drive an electric car, install heat pumps and have been ahead of the curve with domestic heating controls for 15 years.  But those tossers deserve a good hiding for their clueless ill informed shenanigans.  Ironically funded by a descendant of the Getty family.

Aaaaaaannnnnnnndddddddd    breathe.

Sunday just gone was good at ambush activities.

Had some rifs play up but day went well enough with no rain during the times we were out .

Players count was lower than normal but the field is flexible enough that lower player count just means more chance for stealth, flanking and 1v1 moments. 

They had a new marshall do the safety talk which was incredibly slow but it was his first go at it so will see next time.

They've built a new fort in the stockade section which really changes up the defence options on that part of the map.T he game modes weren't as varied as they could be because they took parts on different parts of the field worked well enough.

Despite a terrible weather forecast, I decided to go to Tower Airsoft in Essex today for a third successive weekend of airsoft, as I am unlikely to be able to play for at least the next two, and possibly three or four, weekends due to rehearsals, a festival set and, weather dependent, hiking on Dartmoor.

As the lad had set off for the Helmut-Schmidt-Universität/Universität der Bundeswehr Hamburg for a week of playing with G36s and other interesting activities, I was on my own this time.

Despite the site not usually playing host to HPA users, attendance was once again low, with a group of rentals forming a significant percentage of those present.

However, in true Tower style, the games suited the numbers present and a good day was had.  The rentals turned out to be good players and the teams were well balanced, with the times for two legged games being almost identical.  One "amusing" incident related to the site's 30m minimum engagement distance for full auto.  While defending the village in one game, I was hit by a short full auto burst from about 4m; when I mentioned the rule to the player, he replied that it wasn't full auto as it was a three round burst; the marshal "had a word".

The forecast heavy rain and strong wind failed to put in an appearance, which was a bonus.

Weapons used:
CYMA/LCT/real steel MPiKM
Golden Eagle AMD-65
Milbro Classic M1911

The MPiKM has been running low on power for a while; a quick strip down this evening revealed that the piston head O ring was no longer sealing.  It is now back up to power:).

On 12/07/2023 at 13:24, AirSniper said:

they are incapable of accepting a truth or a fact.

Just like you're incapable of accepting the fact you're posting bullshit again. I've had similar looking bruises to that from AEG and GBB guns.

On 12/07/2023 at 12:00, AirSniper said:

hear that Anzio have now made HPA limits lower

Please cite your sources

As others have posted, if you're going to get all pissy over getting shot in a game which involves shooting each other then maybe you need to get another hobby

On 12/07/2023 at 12:00, AirSniper said:

You can't make this shit up,

But you just did

Anzio have had lower power limits for HPA for a while; overall, their FPs limits do not make much sense.

Anzio has had hpa limits listed separately for a while but and there on site measurements have been consistent when I've been there. However their website doesn't help matters as it lists limits then maximum variances up to a hard limit. The language used makes it more confusing than it needs to be, like they are trying to show a rule of thumb for builders and that fact some rifs chrono differently due to weather or drying seals etc. 

• Supporters

I thought HPA was considered the most consistent FPS wise? The only almost certainly overpowered hit I ever took in the 100 or so games I've played was most likely a CO2 gun with a new bulb, made me consider stopping for the day it was so painful(relative to normal hits) - felt like being shot with a coin and left a bruise the size of one...

I don't see their rules mention CO2 at all outside of launchers so are they just fine despite the new bulb issue?

• Supporters
35 minutes ago, concretesnail said:

Anzio has had hpa limits listed separately for a while but and there on site measurements have been consistent when I've been there. However their website doesn't help matters as it lists limits then maximum variances up to a hard limit. The language used makes it more confusing than it needs to be, like they are trying to show a rule of thumb for builders and that fact some rifs chrono differently due to weather or drying seals etc. 

Sounds needlessly complicated.

Limit in joules for regular/dmr/sniper, strip of tape converted to fps for common bb weights, chrono on the players game weight with a stash of speedloaders to verify suspect cases, follow up with in-game spot checks and most importantly actually enforce bans for infringement.

19 minutes ago, Esoterick said:

I thought HPA was considered the most consistent FPS wise? The only almost certainly overpowered hit I ever took in the 100 or so games I've played was most likely a CO2 gun with a new bulb, made me consider stopping for the day it was so painful(relative to normal hits) - felt like being shot with a coin and left a bruise the size of one...

A well dialled in hpa setup can be very consistent, emphasis on the well dialled in. Needless to say sub-par tuning can have an hpa being every big as inconsistent as an aeg.

The issue comes with the phenomenon of joule creep, which also affects gbb guns (and some modified spring bolt actions when heavyweight pistons are involved) whereby the gun can chrono entirely legitimately on say .2g, but then with no other modification output more energy simply by switching to a heavier ammo (the fps will be lower but not by as much as the same switch in an aeg), hence my above caveat of chronographing on players game weight.

49 minutes ago, concretesnail said:

They also list lower joule limits for anything over 0.20g than they do for 0.20g, which is bizarre.

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

The issue comes with the phenomenon of joule creep, which also affects gbb guns (and some modified spring bolt actions when heavyweight pistons are involved) whereby the gun can chrono entirely legitimately on say .2g, but then with no other modification output more energy simply by switching to a heavier ammo (the fps will be lower but not by as much as the same switch in an aeg), hence my above caveat of chronographing on players game weight.

Any site that thinks they have their finger on the pulse with chrono but insists on only testing with 0.2g makes me roll my eyes because of this. The other silly thing with doing so is that guns with really strong hop setups can be buggered up by firing lightweight BBs so you either risk that or can't play at that site using it - I have a gun with an R hop that applies a reasonable amount of hop with the dial turned to the lowest setting.

Joule creep was fairly well documented on the Airsoft sniper forum 5-10 years ago, so there's no excuse.

I run a gas bolt action and I'm pretty sure if I chronoed on a .2 I would be something like 1.4J, while on a .45 or .48 I'm around 2.2J without changing anything else.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Limit in joules for regular/dmr/sniper, strip of tape converted to fps for common bb weights, chrono on the players game weight with a stash of speedloaders to verify suspect cases, follow up with in-game spot checks and most importantly actually enforce bans for infringement.

That's basically what happens at anzio but I know first and only have other sites with specific rules, indoor cqb etc. I think the website tries to umbrella it for all sites and gets messy. It needs rewrite, a case of keep it simple.

Display the site limit in joules for each class and the chrono rules. Eg.

Chrono on game weight, if it's over the limit back in the car it goes etc.

Say that there will be Spot checks and the consequences of failing a check in game. Done.

Good day today. Gameplay was competitive and overall was enjoyable. There were a couple of complainers when playing. Due to the thickness of the trees, bushes and nettles full auto was a need sometimes to get through. Admittedly this means sometimes you get hit multiple times but that's part of it. These complainers would always mumble and groan under their breath as they walked back to spawn such as "learn your trigger discipline mate" and stuff like that. 

It always puts everyone on edge when that happens as you never know if they are just going to click and cause a big issue. 

Overall though thoroughly enjoyed today more than the site I went to last weekend which didn't chrono anyone until they chronoed 4 people after lunch and played hardly any airsoft at. 

7 minutes ago, concretesnail said:

That's basically what happens at anzio but I know first and only have other sites with specific rules, indoor cqb etc. I think the website tries to umbrella it for all sites and gets messy. It needs rewrite, a case of keep it simple.a check in game. Done.

"Individual sites may have lower BB weight limits but company wide 6mm 0.48g is the absolute max. Vault has .25g and Mill .28g currently as max for example."

They literally say individual sites may have lower limits -- the only way to make this "simpler" website-wise would be to have all sites' individual limits listed, but that could be information overload for some folks.

Saying that covers people who turn up thinking .48 is fine everywhere, then cry when they can't CQB with it. It's already simple.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Esoterick said:

Any site that thinks they have their finger on the pulse with chrono but insists on only testing with 0.2g makes me roll my eyes because of this.

Same, but then the number of times i've chrono'd on the limit with .48's to be told my gun's shooting low because they're reading the fps and not the joule readout.....

The other silly thing with doing so is that guns with really strong hop setups can be buggered up by firing lightweight BBs so you either risk that or can't play at that site using it - I have a gun with an R hop that applies a reasonable amount of hop with the dial turned to the lowest setting.

Not encountered that one much, although mostly because the sites hadn't evolved that far.....

Joule creep was fairly well documented on the Airsoft sniper forum 5-10 years ago, so there's no excuse.

Tbf kinetic energy is (unless they've changed the curriculum) still taught in schools yet we still have sites that struggle to understand the difference between velocity and energy.

Yeah i get not everyone's an engineer or even an enthusiast but as you say so much is documented, the conversion charts and calculators freely available on the internet and the majority of chronographs even do the conversion for you and that still aint enough.

20 minutes ago, concretesnail said:

That's basically what happens at anzio but I know first and only have other sites with specific rules, indoor cqb etc. I think the website tries to umbrella it for all sites and gets messy. It needs rewrite, a case of keep it simple.

I can understand lower limits for energy at cqb sites. Whilst i don't personally subscribe to the idea of heavy weights being an issue when fired at lower energy i can understand that a cqb site limiting ammo weight as an expedient means of avoiding joule creep issues especially when the site environment (especially indoor close range) means that realistically there's no benefit to the heavies anyway.

As long as on a per-site basis the rules for that site are well signposted, and enforced as advertised then it's up to folk showing up to prepare for that.

19 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

Just like you're incapable of accepting the fact you're posting bullshit again. I've had similar looking bruises to that from AEG and GBB guns.

Please cite your sources

As others have posted, if you're going to get all pissy over getting shot in a game which involves shooting each other then maybe you need to get another hobby

But you just did

What... from 30 meters? I seriously doubt that.

I'd been a bit disenchanted the last couple of times I went to my usual site, lots of moaning players which pulls the mood down and then I got one of my front teeth busted on a battlesim day which sucked.  Wear a mask people!

Anyway I'm pleased to report that yesterday was hugely enjoyable despite my team getting roughly handled throughout the day.  We had quite a lot of timid players and no Major Pushup to encourage them!

I took my new (I know) Specna Core M249 and was pleasantly surprised by it.  I was able to suppress the other team pretty consistently though quite a lot of the time I was doing it so I could move as opposed to my team mates moving.  It does lack enough range to compete with some of the better weapons on the field though which made advancing a little tricky at times.  I wasn't quite prepared for the different weight distribution though, it got to be pretty hard work advancing with it shouldered.  More time in the gym required

Highlights include a classic YouTube "M249 SAW Destroys Enemy Team" style victory on defence against a crew of five or six that just couldn't move once I'd pinned them and I whittled them down one-by-one after that, I was then promptly shot obviously since I was loudly shouting for support that never came!  I got a bush-wookie out from under a bush, my first sniper taken out too.  In another first I crossed a path and started laying down fire from the safety of some ferns until the ferns stabbed me...  I came back as quickly as I could and asked repeatedly if the sniper in the ferns was gone to a chorus of yeses even when I shot the bush to indicate here he was.  I advanced back to where I was and the ferns shot me with a pistol...  :D 

So despite being on the losing side all day I had a great day with some superb moments, no grumbling about hit taking or cheating this weekend which was good and a nice feeling of sportsmanship endured