Quick Questions & Simple Answers.

Finius
Message added by Jedi_Master

When you ask a question please do so using red writing that way, it's easy for people scrolling down to find a question.

When you answer a question, please quote (this will make sure the person gets a notification and they can click on it to open your answer straight away and it also lets people answer questions from a while ago if there have been new questions since then) the question and reply in blue writing so we know it's an answer.

If you feel a question simply cannot be answered in one brief post, or is open for a lot of debate, create a topic to discuss it, and link the topic in your answer so everyone can find it.

Yeah but what I've noticed recently is that there are a lot of high value gats for sale.

Compact red dot that will hold zero on a gbbr? Sig romeo ish size, lower third rise, recommendations... (sorry for no red text, I do t know how to do it in the mobile version)

1 hour ago, concretesnail said:

Compact red dot that will hold zero on a gbbr? Sig romeo ish size, lower third rise, recommendations... (sorry for no red text, I do t know how to do it in the mobile version)

Budget?

£200 will get you a very nice RS Vortex or Sig

£100 will get you a decent Vector Optics

£50 or less for a reasonable clone of the Vortex or a clone Aimpoint T1/T2

Before I order parts and take it apart, does anyone happen to know if the Cyma Blue Edition MP5s (i.e. CM.041J) have gearbox's with quick change springs? Thanks!

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

Before I order parts and take it apart, does anyone happen to know if the Cyma Blue Edition MP5s (i.e. CM.041J) have gearbox's with quick change springs? Thanks!

Huh, good question. TaiwanGun reckon so, but neither PatrolBase, Bespoke or Bullseye mention it and there isn't one on this 2020 example.  Could be new, could depend on the exact version or variant, could be retailer flim flam.

28 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Huh, good question. TaiwanGun reckon so, but neither PatrolBase, Bespoke or Bullseye mention it and there isn't one on this 2020 example.  Could be new, could depend on the exact version or variant, could be retailer flim flam.

Many thanks - agreed it was exactly those conflicting specs that caused me to ask the question on here! Guess there is only one way to find out!

2 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Budget?

£200 will get you a very nice RS Vortex or Sig

£100 will get you a decent Vector Optics

£50 or less for a reasonable clone of the Vortex or a clone Aimpoint T1/T2

top would be 100 currently

8 hours ago, concretesnail said:

GBBR will shake the shit out of any cheap optics, I'd assume. But if you don't want to invest a lot of money I'd buy a Feyachi whatever from amazon or an Aim-O T1. But in long term you should invest into something more durable. But you have to open your wallet, though.

8 hours ago, concretesnail said:

Holy warrior t2 mate. No problem on a gbbr so far. Probably the most accurate copy too. Although the trades are kinda engraved not embossed. Well priced from wgc shop. 

5 hours ago, Krisz said:

GBBR will shake the shit out of any cheap optics, I'd assume. But if you don't want to invest a lot of money I'd buy a Feyachi whatever from amazon or an Aim-O T1. But in long term you should invest into something more durable. But you have to open your wallet, though.

No issues with opening the wallet but there needs to be something in it, bloody kids keep emptying it. ;)

Thanks for the advice though, I'll look up the feyachi.

4 hours ago, SBoardley said:

Holy warrior t2 mate. No problem on a gbbr so far. Probably the most accurate copy too. Although the trades are kinda engraved not embossed. Well priced from wgc shop. 

I'll look it up, thanks.

Edited by concretesnail

The threads on the muzzle of my WE makarov are knackered so the mock surpressor can fall off very easily. Would it be a stupid idea to try using thread lock to keep it in place? I'm thinking blue so I can still take the can off to strip the gun down 

2 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

The threads on the muzzle of my WE makarov are knackered so the mock surpressor can fall off very easily. Would it be a stupid idea to try using thread lock to keep it in place? I'm thinking blue so I can still take the can off to strip the gun down 

Thread lock isn't going to work very well if the threads aren't engaged properly, perhaps try some PTFE tape to build it up a bit?

On 16/06/2022 at 11:45, The_Lord_Poncho said:

Well, after a little bit of time with a hex key -I can confidently state yes - the CM.041J's which are currently being shipped do indeed have gearboxes with a quick change spring function!

14 hours ago, Floperator said:

Thread lock isn't going to work very well if the threads aren't engaged properly, perhaps try some PTFE tape to build it up a bit?

Thanks, I'll give it a go 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

Thanks, I'll give it a go 

You could also try amalgamating tape, it stretches for forming on awkward joints & sets semi sticky so might do the job. 

Does anyone think they’re might be a market for de-activated shotgun cartridges?

All internals removed, primer correctly neutralised.

Cartridge on the left is the deact

3A1E8965-4A68-4D01-9ABB-2C2D272217AA.jpeg

3E1A1EFA-E63C-4A3B-8011-88895FA4C684.jpeg

11 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Does anyone think they’re might be a market for de-activated shotgun cartridges?

People would want them, but perhaps not at a price that would make it worth your while...

8 minutes ago, Floperator said:

People would want them, but perhaps not at a price that would make it worth your while...

Dunno, what are they worth, I don’t have a clue.

I know slabs of decent cartridges are pushing £65 now (that’s 250 cartridges)

11 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Dunno, what are they worth, I don’t have a clue.

I know slabs of decent cartridges are pushing £65 now (that’s 250 cartridges)

But you can get spent carts for basically nothing, and most people would be happy with those if all they were doing was sticking them in a bandolier or similar.

Recrimping spent carts would probably be more cost effective both in materials and labour than taking all the workings out of live carts.

12 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

I don’t trust people.

Visually they look the same, and on closer inspection it would not be easy to know the difference between an emptied  cartridge that still has a primer and a genuine deactivated inert cartridge.

Even with the primer still in place there’s not likely to be a negligent discharge without some effort, but I’d be wary of someone just telling me they are fully inert.

There are valid uses for an inert dummy, but that can include clear markings and unusual colours or a film prop etc where they would possibly at the moment want manufactured dummy inerts rather than modifications.

Unless there’s a real need for close up realism then I’d prefer someone’s dressing up to be based on used cartridges or to have a hole where the primers cap would be 

https://www.cobra-ts.eu/en/blog-article/inert-deactivated-or-neutralized-ammunition-what-is-it-and-what-is-the-law-saying-about-it

I've re-crimped used carts that I've filled with rice.  I left the used primers though.  The weight and fired primer made misidentification harder. 

Training brass rounds need to have holes in them.  

As an aside, a friend bought a load of flood damaged carts at auction.  The auction house staff had cleaned them up with WD40 or similar.  Only about one in twenty actually went off.  

8 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I've re-crimped used carts that I've filled with rice.  I left the used primers though.  The weight and fired primer made misidentification harder. 

Training brass rounds need to have holes in them.  

As an aside, a friend bought a load of flood damaged carts at auction.  The auction house staff had cleaned them up with WD40 or similar.  Only about one in twenty actually went off.  

Yeah, I wouldn’t have bought them to use. Oil  soaked into the primer (WD40) will prevent it going off. Never mind the smokeless powder (which is very small paper-impregnated squares)

I only shoot clays so they all need to go off 😂

Possibly silly question:  I'm looking for a new 7.4v battery with a Deans connector, preferably a fairly small stick one that'll fit any of my guns. 

My usual places seem to be out of stock - any recommended retailers?   As I seem to be good at killing / abusing batteries I'd rather they were disposably cheap, and preferably > 1200mAH
Also: Is there a difference between RC batteries and airsoft, apart from maybe the C rating?