Quick Questions & Simple Answers.

Finius
Message added by Jedi_Master

When you ask a question please do so using red writing that way, it's easy for people scrolling down to find a question.

When you answer a question, please quote (this will make sure the person gets a notification and they can click on it to open your answer straight away and it also lets people answer questions from a while ago if there have been new questions since then) the question and reply in blue writing so we know it's an answer.

If you feel a question simply cannot be answered in one brief post, or is open for a lot of debate, create a topic to discuss it, and link the topic in your answer so everyone can find it.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Herrgh said:

one of them insisted that he "calibrated all of them tournament standards"

Nah, that's not a thing.  I mean, they may have a fancy-pants chrono that they're testing their XXXTECHS against, but that's all they're doing. And it's all you need to do as well. I take my chrono to sites and chickety-check myself before the marshals shuffle up 10 minutes late so if I ever do get bounced at that site at least I can compensate next time.

14 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Nah, that's not a thing.  I mean, they may have a fancy-pants chrono that they're testing their XXXTECHS against, but that's all they're doing. And it's all you need to do as well. I take my chrono to sites and chickety-check myself before the marshals shuffle up 10 minutes late so if I ever do get bounced at that site at least I can compensate next time.

Better than wrecking yourself 

Context: I've already got a DC shooters belt, it's got a holster for my pistol as well as carriers for pistol & 308 mags. But then I went and bought another pew so need to work out what to do when I want to change toys mid-gameday.

So, am thinking a minimalistic chest rig could be a goer but are they wearable while also wearing a belt? or do I need to swap mag holsters in the safe zone (not ideal).

11 minutes ago, Madhouse said:

So, am thinking a minimalistic chest rig could be a goer but are they wearable while also wearing a belt? or do I need to swap mag holsters in the safe zone (not ideal).

You have two options:

A) A chest rig that takes inserts (Spiritus Systems Mk3/4/5 chassis, F9 Gear Ammo Hub, Haley D3CRM and clones)

B) A chest rig with TACO style pouches, they take all sorts of mags

C) Helikon Tex TMR, although this one is weird because the two side rifle pouches only accept AR/AK mags whereas the two middle ones are wide enough to take AR10 mags.

Most chest rigs are perfectly fine in conjunction with a belt as long as you wear them as intended (clue's in the name, CHEST rig, not BELLY rig), the sole exception being something HUGE like a Platatac Peacekeeper or an older RRV style rig.

Edited by Skara

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Madhouse said:

Context: I've already got a DC shooters belt, it's got a holster for my pistol as well as carriers for pistol & 308 mags. But then I went and bought another pew so need to work out what to do when I want to change toys mid-gameday.

Yes, you can absolutely run a chest rig with a shooters belt. I run my Platatac Peacekeeper with a shooters belt too so unless you're a midget, you'll be fine.

Alternatively, if you want to stick to the belt mounted mag carriers, have you thought about fitting them with QLS mounts? That way you don't have to fuck about getting the carrier OFF the belt as such as the base part stays put, you just swap over the actual holstery bit.

I've recently set up my Plate Carrier with a belt to spread some of the weight around.

I haven't gone to a game with it yet but when I have had it on in the house getting it all to fit, it feels very comfortable.

1 hour ago, Madhouse said:

So, am thinking a minimalistic chest rig could be a goer but are they wearable while also wearing a belt?

Yes. I've been using a SADF M83 chest rig with belt kit for years with no problems. Just make sure it's worn correctly on your chest, not the stomach like some tin pot dictator on a PR trip visiting troops.

Thanks for the replies, plenty of food for thought but good to know I could run both without any issue.

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

have you thought about fitting them with QLS mounts?

I hadn't no, which is daft as the pistol is mounted on one!

Now to work out which route is going to work best.

17 minutes ago, AirsoftTed said:

Are Cyma AKs still the best / a good shout for a budget AK?

They aren't quite so budget now, but then nothing is.  However, they are still very good for the price.

20 minutes ago, AirsoftTed said:

As good if not better than my LCT out the box. However depending on what you want (heavier/nicer finish), you can pick up a 2nd hand LCT for the same price as most of the new Cyma AKs. 

40 minutes ago, AirsoftTed said:

Yes. When I first got mine I had accusations of using a hot gun as I was keeping up with high powdered sniper rifles thanks to the hop unit

I've half a dozen of the things.  My folding AK47 is beaten but still straight shooting.   My full stock AK47 has been loaned to various friends of my son forever and still performs well.   

My metal bodied series are 100% A OK and Mrs TPH loves her AK74SU.   

I really rate them.  The lad's CM.048 has been mistaken for an E&L or LCT more than once.  

1 hour ago, OTH21 said:

Also, worth checking Patrol Base in the run to Xmas, they usually have an AK variant in their sales. Last year it was a Cyma AK74SU, cm045a. For £145. 

To be fair PB tend to have quite a few sales through the year so OP may be able to pick something up on sale before Christmas if they wanted to.

Thanks guys for all the answers & advice.

Will keep an eye out and let you all know in the gun pics thread when I get one! 😁

Spotted a site making this claim on faceache. Any truth to it or are they talking out of their arse? It's the first time  I've heard that

20230531_141619.jpg.b57f07215e9a25378d1627146519f950.jpg

15 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

Spotted a site making this claim on faceache. Any truth to it or are they talking out of their arse? It's the first time  I've heard that

Most sites are something similar, I don’t think there are any hard and fast rules for renewal though

21 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

UKARA is a national register of participating site memberships.

The original signup criteria for UKARA is based upon the recommendations made while the scheme was being formulated under the VCR bill consulting process.

Its up to sites how they renew membership, and as RIF sales are what players are really after from UKARA it’s perfectly reasonable to only renew someone who has actually played.

Playing once at a site is a reasonable requirement to show that you’re a skirmisher.   The alternative is to start again with the 3 games process

It would not be complying with the principles of UKARA as a VCRA Defence to renew membership of someone who isn’t playing 

45 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Most sites are something similar, I don’t think there are any hard and fast rules for renewal though

That's what I thought. Sites are free to have whatever rules they like for membership, but to blame it on ukara if that isn't the case just seems a bit shitty to me 

40 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

UKARA is a national register of participating site memberships.

The original signup criteria for UKARA is based upon the recommendations made while the scheme was being formulated under the VCR bill consulting process.

Its up to sites how they renew membership, and as RIF sales are what players are really after from UKARA it’s perfectly reasonable to only renew someone who has actually played.

Playing once at a site is a reasonable requirement to show that you’re a skirmisher.   The alternative is to start again with the 3 games process

It would not be complying with the principles of UKARA as a VCRA Defence to renew membership of someone who isn’t playing 

I know ukara is simply a database of site memberships. What I'm getting at is that it's not unreasonable for a player to not be able to play for a few months but to then return to the site. Should said player have to go through the 3 games registration again. Obviously if a player got their site membership only to never be seen again the of course it shouldn't be renewed.

This to me just stinks of a policy being in place to make more money and  being blamed on ukara

• 2 weeks later...

Can the motors be swapped out in AKs (V3 gearbox) just by removing the grip? (I know that 10 seconds with a screwdriver would tell me, but unfortunately I'm away from my RIFs for several days, and have a hankering to put an order in for a Big Dragon m140 motor - the answer to the above will guide my decision as to get a long type and fit to one of my AR RIFs, or short type for one of the TM clone AKs)

3 minutes ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

Can the motors be swapped out in AKs (V3 gearbox) just by removing the grip? (I know that 10 seconds with a screwdriver would tell me, but unfortunately I'm away from my RIFs for several days, and have a hankering to put an order in for a Big Dragon m140 motor - the answer to the above will guide my decision as to get a long type and fit to one of my AR RIFs, or short type for one of the TM clone AKs)

You have to remove the grip and disassemble the motor cage. So not quite as easy as V2, but it's not difficult. 

Simple question:

I want to number my mags, what kind of pen do I need? (presuming a chalk pen will just rub off)

Thanks.