Quick Questions & Simple Answers.

Finius
Message added by Jedi_Master

When you ask a question please do so using red writing that way, it's easy for people scrolling down to find a question.

When you answer a question, please quote (this will make sure the person gets a notification and they can click on it to open your answer straight away and it also lets people answer questions from a while ago if there have been new questions since then) the question and reply in blue writing so we know it's an answer.

If you feel a question simply cannot be answered in one brief post, or is open for a lot of debate, create a topic to discuss it, and link the topic in your answer so everyone can find it.

1 hour ago, JoshBB17 said:

Thanks to all who replied and I will have a good look at all the guns you suggested. Annoyingly I’m to young for my kuala so will have to get 2 tone for now. Also eye pro wise my dads mate gave me a set of revision sawfly glasses will they do for airsoft?

They are strong enough but personally I wouldn't use them because they're not sealed around the edges so a BB can get underneath from certain angles.

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters
18 hours ago, JoshBB17 said:

Thanks to all who replied and I will have a good look at all the guns you suggested. Annoyingly I’m to young for my kuala so will have to get 2 tone for now. Also eye pro wise my dads mate gave me a set of revision sawfly glasses will they do for airsoft?

Protection for your eyes, yes they'll be fine but make sure you have some anti fog treatment with you too. Also - you WILL need full face protection if you're under 18 (some sites are under 16). If you're going with glasses then make sure you get a lower face mask too.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know a good place to buy the diddy 20mm x 5mm glass tube fuses?   I need a 30A for my AK and the ones I find are either 20A or below, or in China, or part of huge quantities or in selection boxes.
I only need a couple!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
34 minutes ago, emit said:

In store but 25 or 35amps at Halfords. [link]

Plenty online if it has to be 30amps [link]

Those are 30-32mm. Rostok is after 30A in 20mm which are much harder to find, to the point where I gave up and settled on 20A.  Mind you, I've binned off all my fuses now anyway, it's just another point of failure.

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

Old engineering bodge... stick a nail in 😂

Bodge?  That's standard servicing procedure on anything made in Longbridge.

Also, now I'm miffed that I resisted the strong temptation to suggest that.

4 hours ago, emit said:

Thanks but 30mm is too long for the plastic fuse holder the tech fitted.  
Mind you, the damned thing takes up a lot of space and makes the top cover hard to fit (especially under-fire, as I found out), so maybe it has to go anyway.

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Those are 30-32mm. Rostok is after 30A in 20mm which are much harder to find, to the point where I gave up and settled on 20A.  Mind you, I've binned off all my fuses now anyway, it's just another point of failure.

The fact that the fuse did blow gives me some pause for thought!  However, it was only a 20A.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
26 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

The fact that the fuse did blow gives me some pause for thought!  However, it was only a 20A.

I only had one pop (before I deleted them) and that was a 20A mini, after a V3 lockup where I did what everyone will do the first time it happens: held the trigger and hoped.

I'd reckon 20A is sufficient to protect against user error in a reasonable AEG, and once you've learned to not just keep fingerblasting long after it's clear that you're not going to get a happy ending, it's only there to protect against a full short.  My plan for that is to hurl it away then strip the corpse for parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Where can I buy the circular button to unluck the folding stock on my TM AK-47S?

The button fell off at my last skirmish.. I've searched a lot but nobody seems to sell this particular part, it's not even showing as out of stock anywhere.
@ak2m4 Do you ever see them anywhere?

(Alternatively, if I could swap the under folder for a side folder I'd be interested in that, but unsure if it's even possible on a plastic body TM AK)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to fix an M4 collapsible stock to my AR15... but that has a fixed short buffer tube, and the wiring might be a problem.  Is there a way to do it?

image.png.ace8e275095f0a0fdc5f84b72cd98db1.png

5 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I'd like to fix an M4 collapsible stock to my AR15... but that has a fixed short buffer tube, and the wiring might be a problem.  Is there a way to do it?

image.png.ace8e275095f0a0fdc5f84b72cd98db1.png

Yes, I've just done it with my 308. It foes require some cutting and additional/alternate parts, shot me a pm or make a new thread it's not a quick question thing.

• 4 weeks later...

So I got all the FN57 specific upgrade parts worth a damn. But I did spot this Nine ball Dyna Piston Head For M&P9/HK45/XDM-40/PX4/FN5-7 Gas BlowBack Pistol Series - Skirmshop Ireland LTD

Any reason to get an upgraded Gas pistol Piston head? Is it for longevity and maximum seal? I am sure the seal I have now is fine. 

3 hours ago, Asomodai said:

So I got all the FN57 specific upgrade parts worth a damn. But I did spot this Nine ball Dyna Piston Head For M&P9/HK45/XDM-40/PX4/FN5-7 Gas BlowBack Pistol Series - Skirmshop Ireland LTD

Any reason to get an upgraded Gas pistol Piston head? Is it for longevity and maximum seal? I am sure the seal I have now is fine. 

In my experience and a few other people I spoke to it dropped FPS and efficiency.

13 minutes ago, heroshark said:

In my experience and a few other people I spoke to it dropped FPS and efficiency.

Cheers. It was more to put it in an order to make it worthwhile to grab a new Maple Leaf Hop Wheel for the M9, I got a couple of H Keys for the two pistols I have that dont have them yet! 

• 2 weeks later...

I need to swap out some / all of the wiring in my SG552 gnu, which gauge wire do I need?   14 or 16  or 18 AWG?
(Stock motor, spring etc, expecting to stick with mini 8.4v NimH battery.  It's a tight fit around the gearbox, so the more flexible the better)

And does anyone sell small quantities of black + red wire, and with heat shrink?

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
added 18 AWG

• Moderators

a friend of mine has qualified as a personal trainer. He is looking at different tasks with his circuit classes he runs. One thing he mentioned was he saw a fitness video he tried out 1 mile run, various exercises but they used weighted vests. I said i had some low profile vests that you can put training plates in

Any one know where you can get the plates or much about them?, also, are there any cheaper than warrior vests you can use that are low profile and take these plates....

I will google anyway so don't panic when i get a break in work but always good to get first hand experience or avoidance  as i remember some members asking about them a while back :) 

5 hours ago, djben9 said:

a friend of mine has qualified as a personal trainer. He is looking at different tasks with his circuit classes he runs. One thing he mentioned was he saw a fitness video he tried out 1 mile run, various exercises but they used weighted vests. I said i had some low profile vests that you can put training plates in

Any one know where you can get the plates or much about them?, also, are there any cheaper than warrior vests you can use that are low profile and take these plates....

I will google anyway so don't panic when i get a break in work but always good to get first hand experience or avoidance  as i remember some members asking about them a while back :) 

Travail or trident gear

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a used Novritsch SSE18 AEP with a 7.4V 550mah battery. With a battery fully charged it shoots single and auto as expected when tested indoors.

Storing the pistol in the shed where the temp is in the low 2-10 degrees Celsius if I try to shoot on single it doesn't seem to have the power to compress the spring and complete a cycle. On auto it takes over a second to complete the first cycle but then it shoots OK while the trigger is pressed.

If I keep it indoors it seems to have no problems.

I took it skirmishing at the weekend and found I couldn't depend on it to shoot. Temperature ranged from 1-8 degrees Celsius through the day.

I bought it as my gas pistols are very unreliable in the winter and hoped an AEP wouldn't suffer from the cold.

Do all AEPs behave like this or is the battery faulty?

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, emit said:

Do all AEPs behave like this or is the battery faulty?

My CYMA CM.123 (essentially the same internals) is fine in the cold.  A bit weak with the stock battery, much better even with a tiny 300mAh 35/70C (i.e. 10.5A - 21A) 7.4V lipo and no mosfet.  Sounds like your battery is quite tired.  It might benefit from a gearbox lube, although they're pretty fiddly to take apart, or more specifically, put back together.  Some silicon lube down the "nozzle" so that it gets to the piston rings might help.

E&L one piece cylinder + cylinder head:

The piston head is mushroom type, if I use a regular piston head, will it fuck up the AOE? From pictures I've seen of so called "silent" cylinder heads they seem of the same dimension as regular cylinder heads.

Yay or nay?

19 hours ago, Skara said:

The piston head is mushroom type, if I use a regular piston head, will it fuck up the AOE? From pictures I've seen of so called "silent" cylinder heads they seem of the same dimension as regular cylinder heads.

Yay or nay?

Well that's a question I should have asked as I had poor compression with my new silent piston head, then had the piston head come away from the piston (hadn't loctited it) and so put a standard piston and head in to the gun.  Which then promptly ate the piston.  

So I'm going to say yes, my personal experience is that using mismatched heads fucks up the AoE. 

It might not be that... But it seems likely

• Supporters
19 hours ago, Skara said:

Yay or nay?

yes it will, although not by much. easily correctable with some shims between the piston head and piston body.

the mushroom head is slightly thicker than a non-mushroom which is why the ootb aoe is pretty decent.