Unspoken rules in airsoft?

Pseudotectonic

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Like is it generally frowned upon if you get too close to enemy spawn because it is spawn camping?

Should you call hits if your own team shot you?

Does ricochet count as hits?

How do you execute a knife kill, and does it only count if the enemy hasn't noticed you and if you do it , or can you engage a enemy around a corner and try to land a stab as they try to shoot you or is this not allowed?

5 minutes ago, Pseudotectonic said:

Yes

6 minutes ago, Pseudotectonic said:

Yes

6 minutes ago, Pseudotectonic said:

engage a enemy around a corner and try to land a stab as they try to shoot you

If they haven’t hit you, before you “stab” them, then it should be allowed

Just my opinions, of course. I would assume it depends on the field/scenario/game and many other factors though. I know that some sites I’ve been too count ricochet, others don’t. 

Like is it generally frowned upon if you get too close to enemy spawn because it is spawn camping?

Yes.

Yes. 

No. 

How do you execute a knife kill, and does it only count if the enemy hasn't noticed you and if you do it , or can you engage a enemy around a corner and try to land a stab as they try to shoot you or is this not allowed?

Depends on the site but it's usually a light tap to the t-shirt area, with a suitable larp safe melee weapon.

It counts if you manage to do it and you're not dead when you do it. 

Trying to stab someone with a larp weapon around a corner could be viewed as blind firing. Most larp safe knives are still "pointy" to a degree, thrusting it wildly round a corner, hoping for a melee kill is pretty dangerous. You could knock off eye pro, jab someone in the ear, who knows what? 

I wouldn't recommend it.

Been to some fields where friendly fire doesn't count, or where friendly fire means the person shooting has to go respawn.
And a site where friendly fire means both people involved have to respawn so the one person can apologize to the other, so it all depends on which site you go to, but it'll always be explained during the game day briefing (or just ask a marshal if you're unsure).

I've never played at a field where ricochets count, but it's always mentioned that if you're unsure if it was a direct hit or ricochet, just take it.

Spawn camping is annoying and generally frowned upon in my opinion, but most sites I play at have spawns thus far away from each other it's difficult to get to the enemy spawn (except one site I played at that had a massive field with 5 spawnpoints where it occasionally happened, but usually telling the attacker that he's at a spawn is enough for them to try his luck somewhere else.

15 minutes ago, Pseudotectonic said:

Ricochets counting depend site-to-site, likewise how knife-kills are handled -- but giving them a chance to surrender aside, it's generally higher back/shoulder area, and the knife generally has to be a rubber one that can be bent 90º -- no stabbing folk in the delicate or squishy bits :D

1 minute ago, Skullchewer said:

Not a rule where I play, but if I team kill I take the hit myself 🤘

Me too.  I feel a total cnut otherwise. 

I think Reforger play it as a rule.... But it's a matter of honour really. 

We've lost mags, even guns... They've always been handed in, and I think that makes airsoft special as does the friendly banter in the safe zone. 

That was something I should have mentioned about Saturday at High Wycombe.  We had a marvellous chat with some Aussies on a 6 month world tour. 

Depends on your field.

For example, at my field:

Friendly fire is a kill.

Ricochets are not.

Knife and melee kills are not allowed at all (you're not allowed to touch another player for legal reasons).

• Supporters

Generally, but not always: yes, yes, no, and you shouldn't be stabbing anyone with anything, let alone round a corner where you can't see what you're poking at.  "Knife kills" should be carefully laying a hand or some toy on someone from behind, only as hard as necessary to make them aware of it, not engaging in any sort of fencing match.

None of these should be "unspoken", they should be covered clearly at the briefing. If your regular site(s) aren't doing that, you might want to have a constructive word with the staff and remind them that there's no way for new players or visitors to know how they expect the game to be played unless they tell them.

19 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

the offender should be the one to respawn

That’s when you shoot as many of them as you can before respawning. Gotta make sure it’s worth it 😏

• Supporters

Especially in CQB, where it's easier to trade hits, if you think you hit someone and vice versa you should both take the hit.

I've taken hits where I've been reasonably sure they missed me in the interest of promoting good play. Generally speaking it's good practice.

You can normally spot a dodgy player if you casually say "you sure I didn't hit you?" after calling your hit and they get weirdly aggressive.

Ricochet hits are for sites with silly rules and they open players up to getting overkilled. Someone clears a room by spamming fire into it and where they are firing from is the only exit. How do you get out?

I also don't think players should give the impression they are out of play to flank and get kills. Once had a player get behind our team by feigning having lost something, only to knife us all. It was funny, but it encourages players to shoot players that could be injured, lost etc... ofc if they have their hands up they are actively cheating.

I think that an unspoken rule is that non-hit takers can be hosed.

The only time I've ever (to my knowledge) full auto'd someone in the (full mesh) face was someone playing in God mode.  The player was reported by half the players present also, and removed from site.  Honestly the worst player I've ever seen.

I got the only hit on him that I saw him acknowledge all morning.  TBH I'm not that keen on the practice unless it's absolutely egregious play witnessed by several competent players.

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I think that an unspoken rule is that non-hit takers can be hosed.

Makes you feel better, but doesn't fix the problem.

12 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

removed from site

The actual solution.  As with forums, 95% of problems are down to 5% of participants.

1 minute ago, BigStew said:

airporters

Them damn pilots! 
Fully agree though, airsoft and the world in general would be a lot better off if people followed the “Don’t be a dick” rule 😂

22 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

One thing I've noticed is that the more a player shouts at others to push up, the further back they are

I'd like to make it known that I also yell stuff luke that, but not from the back (and there are several forum members who are witness to that), not every shouty person leads from the rear, mostly because my aim is crap and I can't hit anyone otherwise

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

To me that would be a reason to find another site

One thing I've noticed is that the more a player shouts at others to push up, the further back they are

Yeah I would never visit a site again that is like that. 

Normally if you kindly suggest players that are the furthest back try moving up themselves they wind their necks in.

If you suspect someone isn't taking a hit you can slowly ramp up how much you shoot them, rather than deciding "better shoot every player I see 30 times for the rest of the day" which I don't think anyone is saying anyway. You can operate on the assumption you just aren't hitting them or are hitting them somewhere they aren't noticing. It's fairly easy to use discretion here.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.