The 'How Did Your Airsoft Day Go? Thread

Skara

I had a more genuine sniper experience yesterday at Worthing Airsoft than I think I've had in a while. We played a long, multiple objective game in the morning, as they have the past few game days and I've been enjoying this, and I took up a position overwatching a pathway with my KJW m40a5. I lay in position for about 2 hours, watching movements in the distance and not shooting at all as my team pushed up to the checkpoint in front of my position, so I decided to get up and move because I was getting cold lying in the dirt. As soon as I pushed up, everyone on my team in front of me and around me got hit and I decided to go back to my previous position. Last hour of the game I went through all 3 of my mags holding that path, as it then got very busy. Had to pick my shots, because in cold weather the cooldown effect of my gas magazines is amplified and if I shoot too quickly the power will plummet. It's an interesting complication, but I would much rather it get warmer so my rifle performs to its best!

I think the only thing that could've made the experience more genuine is if nobody pushed up the path the whole game and also if I pissed myself and had to lie in it, but fortunately that didn't happen 😂

Didn't play in the afternoon. Only had 5 hours sleep the previous night and with my current diet and exercise regime that is about half of what I should be getting, so I was really tired and I wasn't that bothered with dealing with the cooldown challenges of my rifle all day. Once my m14 socom is sorted I'll probably use that until it warms up a little, but most of my collection are gas guns and will have similar issues at the moment.

On 11/02/2024 at 21:54, Colin Allen said:

Fewer players were present than usual, possibly because of the rather poor weather forecast which turned out to inaccurate.

During the safety brief, the site owner stated that the day would be more like naval warfare.  AP can be a trifle damp underfoot; today, some parts of it were completely flooded, with the plane at the DEA base looking like it had just crashed into a lake.

Our Sunday game was cancelled due to flooding.  The site at Necton was only usable if you had an aqualung.  

Glad others got a game in!

11 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Our Sunday game was cancelled due to flooding.  The site at Necton was only usable if you had an aqualung.  

Glad others got a game in!

HPA users would have been ok.

I played at DogTag down in West Sussex on Saturday. My son conscripted 5 of his friends to join us and at the end of the game they were already checking out deals for IFs (talking about growing the game).

The turnout was better than expected with mainly rentals and a few experienced players.

I felt like I was cheating. In one game I didn’t have to move at all as my pickings were so plentiful. I was sitting in a bush with a sniper hood and a camouflaged tuned Krytac overlooking a little valley to a place the other team had to come through to reach the objective. They looked in my direction and couldn’t understand where the BBs were coming from. I was out of reach of their rental guns so yes it really felt like cheating. 

I prefer a mix with more experienced players but hey it was fun!

I was there for the morning session  , wet but fun , and saw you guys mooching about , a very full auto heavy morning which I can only put down to some questionable hit taking on both sides so folk seemed to be ramping up the bb slinging .but nice not to see any real aggro first hand because of it , the out of bounds stuff seemed to be more of a problem than usual and I think that was more poor communication between the Marshalls , we watched one tell half a dozen guys they were out of bounds only for a follow up group to be told oh actually your good to go . 

no pics of me today , just a snap of the gun , a G&G Sr300 with a bit of spice inside which performed very well indeed :)

IMG_7189.thumb.jpeg.98b9c978423193a324729289c2ef3332.jpeg

Took the ak out for a spin today.

Performed really well except for:

Hop up, I need to slightly shave the rubber piece between the arm and tensioner as it was overhopping 0.32s without any hop applied;

Mags, back then I had bought a few Cyma 5.56 flash mags, some fed flawlessly, others didn't feed at all;

Stock, as much as I like the looks of the triangle, I think I will replace it with something else to give me room for adjustment (a touch too long length of pull for my liking).

Game wise... Let's just not talk about it 😔 mags being iffy made me reluctant to push and play as I usually do. Or maybe I just had a bad day, sometimes it happens.

15 hours ago, Impulse said:

I took a trip down to not-Worthing for once and headed to Dogtag today with a whole host of Worthing regulars

Good read! I started off at Dogtag a few years back but haven't been there for at least two years - Driver Wood is my regular site - it's closer to my home, and I just enjoy the way it is run - much tighter and a little more professional. But....I am heading back to Dogtag in a fortnights time - taking a load a scouts as its a little cheaper for a rental package, and just a bit easier all round for a group to book. It will be interesting to see how it compares to Driver Wood now that I'm a bit more experienced in the game (and will no longer be outranged by everyone without a rental G36)- must admit that I am looking forward to a little change in scenery!

Edited by The_Lord_Poncho

35 minutes ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

Good read! I started off at Dogtag a few years back but haven't been there for at least two years - Driver Wood is my regular site - it's closer to my home, and I just enjoy the way it is run - much tighter and a little more professional. But....I am heading back to Dogtag in a fortnights time - taking a load a scouts as its a little cheaper for a rental package, and just a bit easier all round for a group to book. It will be interesting to see how it compares to Driver Wood now that I'm a bit more experienced in the game (and will no longer be outranged by everyone without a rental G36)- must admit that I am looking forward to a little change in scenery!

I keep intending to try these two sites, but they are just a bit too far away for a skirmish day when there are so many closer sites.

did my first nvg night game and it was a mix for me.

i was trying to get used to using the things and managed to get in to the first objective. seems i got put with the "elite". 

Some guy in front was looking about and then said you IR is on so looked on the nods and it said IR off. i replied its saying off.

the response from him "its fucking on i can fucking see it" 

alright mate jheez. 

decided to move off and see the other location

wasn't getting on with the nods but carried on till turn around.

started the game moved up to the location till 3 guys got wiped in front

fell back and the nightmare hit, eye pro took a whack from a branch enough to break the arm. (gutted)

get them on temp and moved to safe zone. 

had to change the setup and go with a balaclava and goggles.

nvg was set to these so drop that.

got back in and didn't have a clue what was happening. team was going off and had scattered.

decided to tuck in and just pot shot the objective.

game  ended and we moved on to building clearance.

this point i knew where i wanted to be and got to the location to defend and stuck it out.

i enjoyed that as i was holding a couple of guys back and using the torch to blind them.

got a hit and moved to respawn and then returned to get team killed.

managed to hold the team back before game over

we turned it around and attacked

game we well and we pushed passed the last team game.

the night was interesting to say the least but a learning curve.

A little annoyed with the comment and the glasses breaking but is what it is.

Was back at Worthing for a cold one this weekend. We had to leave very early because the guy who gives us a lift was asked to help sort the car park, which is usually pandemonium, as it was going to be a very busy, very fully booked day today. He says it's the last time as they really need to get a marshall to sort it out, as he used to do it when he was a marshall, but stepped away from it a year or so ago so that he can play more as he's getting older. Anyway, I wasn't sure if he was bringing his grandson along, but knew he was bringing the wet weather kit, so I only took one rifle bag today (well, two, but one was going to a tech), as I didn't want to take up too much space in the car. This meant that the m700 came along, as it's my favourite gun and I was still riding off the high of last weekend when the weather was nice. This was potentially a mistake, but I'm undecided on it. Also, the reason it was fully booked was because it was one of the ongoing narrative game days, which is a bit like a blend of skirmish and filmsim. There were two teams, traditional cartel and another not-cartel who work with the government, but there was also a third element out today which was a press crew; two guys in press gear with two guys and a ghillie sniper as protection. They only fired if fired upon, or if the marshalls told them to shoot at one team that was doing too well, and when hit they would go down to a knee for 30 seconds before getting back in the game.

After standing around the safe zone for a long time because we arrived at 7:30am (left my house at 6:45am, and the other two were closer to 6:30am), we went out into the game. The first issue of the day was here, as with this game everyone who was wearing a loud, Hawaiian style shirt were put on the cartel team. The issue here is that a LOT of the regulars came in costume and so the teams weren't very well balanced. Me and my friend were on the not-cartel team and it was going decently for about 30 mins. Our team pushed forward and were doing well. However, then when people got hit and respawned back in, they stopped pushing up. I very quickly found myself as the front line, which with a bolt action sniper rifle wasn't the best. Manged to stay hidden and pick people off, including the leader of the enemy cartel, but eventually I had to fall back because the pressure was getting high and I was starting to get surrounded. Moved back to another position and dug in, but again I quickly found myself being the front line again. One guy on the other team ran up and killed off about 6 of my team who were just huddled behind a building doing nothing and while I took him and another who pushed up out with my mk23, I was eventually overrun by more players as I was alone again. It felt a bit like I was pushing a stone up a hill as none of my team seemed to be doing much. Headed back to respawn and even though by this point there was only a few mins left, I went back to try and cause some havoc. Crawled up behind a low layer of foliage, using it to screen my advance along a flank and taking out the enemy player watching that flank (I love how quiet the m700 is...) and managed to get into a position where I managed to take three more players out with the mk23. However, at this point the morning was over and it was lunch time. Our team had zero objectives and the enemy team had crushed just about all of their ones. The game continued after lunch, but I can't comment too much on that as I decided to not play the afternoon. The forecast was wet and running a gas m700 in this temperature is already enough of a challenge, so I packed up. Was definitely the correct choice to get my wet kit off and put my warm kit and waterproof jacket on, as the wind picked up and it started to rain, getting heavier over time. Definitely did not want to play in that today. I heard that the not-cartel team continued to get their asses kicked through the afternoon.

However, that was generally my only criticism with how the game was run; the team balance was horribly off. Outside of this, the game was well thought out and was fun to play and while frustrating at times, I still had fun. The multi-objective, full-site gameplay was good and I way prefer these sorts of games to the simple attack and defend type games that are prevalent at skirmish days across the country. Hit calling, from what I saw, was generally pretty good and I only had one instance of a guy very obviously not taking his hits, because I hit him in the face (that was all that was showing!) and watched him recoil back from the shot, but then he just retreated back behind cover. Every other player I shot took their hits and I didn't observe anyone near me not taking theirs, so the sportsmanship was top notch! The issue with players not playing and sitting about 90m away from the other team and trying to shoot at them is just an inevitable part of airsoft, but they were almost all on one team today and that team got royally thrashed :P 

The other issue was my gun. When the weather is this cold, the gas bolt actions just... drop in power. With every shot. Which throws your hop up setting off. It was a pain in the backside trying to adjust for it and was one of the contributing factors why I didn't play in the afternoon; I just couldn't be bothered to deal with it any longer. I love my gas m700, but for it to be consistent it needs about 15 celcius. 10 - 12 celcius is okay, but 6 - 7 celcius like today is too low. If it's cold next game day I'm just going to take my SR-25 and run that.

Anyway, I'll leave it there. Amazing day that was only marred by poor team balance. Everything else was great!

I have to post the video of sunday, recorded by our local youtuber Stingray Airsoft. I was one of three PMC's and it was very fun dipping into some roleplay and messing with both sides. 

It's a long one but it's excellent. Well worth a watch. 

I did a couple of weekday night games last week.  Thursday evening at South Coast CQB and then Friday evening at Ironsight.

First time back at SCCQB for a couple of years.  Cool site for sure. A shame about a few people kicking off with accusations of overshooting.  It seemed that some people hadn't fully grasped that at a night game, it is more important than skirmishing in daylight that you make clear you've been hit with a loud "hit" and putting your arm up.  I saw multiple instances of people doing neither and then having a little hissy fit.  I don't know about everyone else, but I shoot at someone until they make it clear they're hit...

Also, shout out to the absolute madlad (and lady) rentals on our team that decided their first airsoft experience would be a night game.  Legends. They seemed to have fun and enjoy the evening.

Ironsight.  Again, a cool site.  The rain just about held off until right at the end which was nice.  Excellent hit taking and all round play.  I got some very satisfying kills.  I'm pretty sure I shot someone in the face on the top level of the bus so sorry if that was you and you're reading this ha.   

Had an exhausting day at the ucap bunkers Portsmouth today.

My bb attraction device was set on hi and performed faultlessly hence many facial injuries but it's my choice not to wear full face protection so can't moan. Well I did anyway just for effect😂

The hunny badger,which has never let me down did! First shot through chrono and it made a strange whirring noise when trigger pulled so I'm thinking a gear stripped of teeth?

I managed to catch a bb in my mouth which nearly stripped my teeth!

It hit my bottom lip and as my mouth opened to say 'FUCK,' Mr bb carried right on in! It did make a mess of my lip though☹️

Anyway game play was intense and fast paced despite my efforts to slow it down. I racked up 6 good clean kills,two friendly hits and half a dozen disputed hits.

Overall game etiquette was great and there was no nastiness at all. The marshalls did a great job of being everywhere at all times and directing game play which helped keep the games flowing nicely.

Thanks to all staff👍

Went home hurt but happy 😊

Did a morning stint at POW near Falkirk, Was in the red team (holding up the rear as usual), on the attack and my first time using a GBBR, the XM177 performed well despite the cold, only miss behaving  after around 4 mags but I'm claiming a couple of kills from the 1st game & respawned about 3 times which us about par for me. Used the respawns to reload & discovered I'd much rather use a small reloader for the gas mags as the odin adaptor didn't seat very well without a thump. I honestly don't know if we won the game but the yellows were down to only a couple of players & we were all shooting at one sniper as far as I could make out as the game ended (I'll assume the bomb was planted).

Second game were were defending our '88s' and TBH this is one game we've played a few times while I was in attendance so I felt comfortable planting my arse behind a barrier in ambush mode (decided to use an L85 aeg for this game with a few highcaps), in my experience the first flag is often captured fairly quickly but not on this occasion the reds covering it held out for a good portion of the game, meanwhile a few sneaky yellows tried to capture our flag but were held off to the bitter end. Game was called off due to a 'mandown' but I don't think this was far from the end of time anyway so lets call it a draw. Pretty sure I got 1 kill & 1 possible (the sneaky yellow was getting shot at from a few of us) & no respawns.

Took my...

Scar-H gbbr, it hated the cold so wasn't used

XM177 gbbr, worked pretty well, locked open a few times due to the cold but felt good in game

L85A1 aeg(with dd rail), forgot to reattach the bipod (DOH!) but had good range and accuracy, the SUSAT was limiting on zoom but fine without it applied

L85 carbine aeg, plan B, but didn't need it as all my other pews passed the crono test

Mk18 aeg, just wanted to see how it felt in game but it only left the boot of my car to crono

& collected my Honeybadger from the local tech, all my pews are now under my roof again but where the hell will I put it?

Will deffo wait for the warmer weather before I take my gbbr's out again (basically 1 week in July here in sunny Scotland)

32 minutes ago, Shamal said:

The bunker is such a great site, played it at a couple of private games, must get down there for a regular gameday at some point. 

A slightly unbalanced day at worthing, the marshals did move people around between games, so it's not for lack of trying. Just the way it is sometimes I guess. But the rain held off, so that's good. Some fun games though. One where we got to pick a base, then had to collect items, move them to our chosen base, then run them down the site to the banker, who was armed with a minigun to keep the non-banking riff raff away. Our team ended up cutting their team off from the lower half of the map by taking a notoriously hard to push corner of the map. Some changes are needed but I hope it returns, it was a very fun game, and I always love big games that let you solve things creatively. 

Also today, I had a newly modded gun (LCT VSS) that actually worked first time for once! Gosh it's been a while since something just worked. Since it has the AK hop unit, it kind of works its way down through the day, which is a bit annoying but hopefully solvable. However I was trying out the maple leaf gbb/aeg hybrid bucking today with a crazy jet barrel and I gotta say it performs very nicely. Even with the hop slowly turning off, the bbs flew straight and true, very nice and consistent. My shorter barrel with 3D printed spacer also worked very nicely, no collisions with the built in spacer at the very end of the suppressor at all. And my modifications to my ghillie seemed to work very nicely. I managed to jump scare a couple of people, and that's always fun :0

IMG_4228.jpg

30 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

Took my...

Scar-H gbbr, it hated the cold so wasn't used

XM177 gbbr, worked pretty well, locked open a few times due to the cold but felt good in game

L85A1 aeg(with dd rail), forgot to reattach the bipod (DOH!) but had good range and accuracy, the SUSAT was limiting on zoom but fine without it applied

L85 carbine aeg, plan B, but didn't need it as all my other pews passed the crono test

Mk18 aeg, just wanted to see how it felt in game but it only left the boot of my car to crono

Crikey!  I felt that taking three was too much of a faff!

1 hour ago, Shamal said:

My bb attraction device was set on hi and performed faultlessly hence many facial injuries but it's my choice not to wear full face protection so can't moan. Well I did anyway just for effect😂

The hunny badger,which has never let me down did! First shot through chrono and it made a strange whirring noise when trigger pulled so I'm thinking a gear stripped of teeth?

I managed to catch a bb in my mouth which nearly stripped my teeth!

It hit my bottom lip and as my mouth opened to say 'FUCK,' Mr bb carried right on in! It did make a mess of my lip though☹️

Anyway game play was intense and fast paced despite my efforts to slow it down. I racked up 6 good clean kills,two friendly hits and half a dozen disputed hits.

Overall game etiquette was great and there was no nastiness at all. The marshalls did a great job of being everywhere at all times and directing game play which helped keep the games flowing nicely.

Thanks to all staff👍

Went home hurt but happy 😊

If it was the Ares, it was probably the back of the piston breaking off; their pistons are notorious for doing it.

Edited by Colin Allen

2 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

Crikey!  I felt that taking three was too much of a faff!

It wasn't too bad thb, 4m to the car the 4m back into the house, I usually take about 3 but wanted to air the gbbr's the L85 carbine was the only one I knew would pass the crono if the rest didn't.