What are you're rig/vest recommendations

Gavin W

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Whats everyone's go to vest, I've got a very light weight plain chest plate but it only has molle on the front, I bought a second vest but it's rather chunky and doesn't work with my battle belt. I'm interested to see what other people like using.

I have two OD Condor Ronin chest rigs because they're split rigs that I can unclip the front, allowing me to push it aside when crawling so I can crawl with nothing on my front. One is set up for AR-15 and AK mags, one is set up for .308 and has the hydro harness to carry my HPA tank and thread my line through the arm strap where the hydration would go whenever I'm using my HPA m21. I really like them because most of my replicas are sniper rifle style guns and I tend to play with a lightweight ghillie cape or cobra hood and therefore I crawl along the ground a lot. If I'm crawling around on my belly, being able to unclip the front and push it aside is incredibly useful for me, as crawling around with mags on my front is a good way to get them covered in mud, not to mention it's uncomfortable.

I also have a Warrior Assault Systems chest rig if I want something a bit heavier with a bit more molle space, but it's an older model that isn't available now (pretty sure it's basically the same as their current one though). It has lasted me now for... 15 years and it's still going strong. Amazing purchase.

And for plate carrier I have a Warrior Assault Systems RPC with Trident Gear heavyweight training plates. I use this whenever I play CQB or urban and I have three different front panels so I can very quickly change between .308, assault rifle and SMG setups. It's the only plate carrier I own and probably the only one I will own. It's so good!

Then for Vietnam airsoft I have a chicom. They're like... £10 or so, are period accurate and can hold AK mags, m14 mags and m700 mags, which covers all the guns I use for 'Namsoft. That said, I also have a US m16 short magazine bandolier which fits a few m14/m700 mags (but not in all of the pouches) for if I want to go super lightweight VC sniper, but most of the time I just use a belt kit for 'Namsoft. The chicom is mostly for if I'm running my AKM.

I just sold off my plate carrier and have instead switched to a viper mini rig like this with different panels and inserts for different guns. I then have 2 belts, 1 with magazine pouches and a holster and the other with just a general large pouch and a holster 

Final_1200_VP_VX_Utility_Rig_Green_01_NE

Many dis Viper gear but like above I have this chest rig. Been using it a few years now and still going strong. Can't grumble at the price either. Lightweight. Can hold 6 M4 mags or 8 SMG with different inserts. I like to keep my kit minimal and this does just that.

I’ve got two HSGI AO Small chest rigs setup; one for the MP7 and one for the L85.  They both work perfectly with the battle belt.  They’re very good, but my head’s been turned by the Spiritus Systems Alpha 34.  

I’ve got a Tactical Tailor Mini MAV in the drawer which was super lightweight, but if overloaded wasn’t as comfy as it’s an X-harness rather than an H-harness in the HSGI’s.

27 minutes ago, Duff Beer said:

I’ve got two HSGI AO Small chest rigs setup; one for the MP7 and one for the L85.  They both work perfectly with the battle belt.  They’re very good, but my head’s been turned by the Spiritus Systems Alpha 34.  

I’ve got a Tactical Tailor Mini MAV in the drawer which was super lightweight, but if overloaded wasn’t as comfy as it’s an X-harness rather than an H-harness in the HSGI’s.

I've been looking at mp7's recently, I'd love to have it hpa, whats yours?

27 minutes ago, Gavin W said:

I've been looking at mp7's recently, I'd love to have it hpa, whats yours?

I’ve got the Umarex/VFC MP7A1 Gen 2 GBB.  I’ve written loads about it on here, but it’s a bit of a beast and I recommend it

We could spend ages talking about nylon.

Tell us what RIFs you have and how much crap you intend to carry with you!

Kit selection is heavily based on your play style and your supply requirements.

I, for example, have different kits for different uses:

If I'm playing a "short" event, with not many kilometres involved, I run a chest rig, shooter's belt and small (9L) backpack.

When kilometres and play hours increase (8h+) I switch to a battle belt and either a small (9L) or medium (20L) backpack.

Pack selection is also based on expected weather/temperatures and event duration.

For regular skirmishes anything goes, really. Depending on the RIF I use I may not even wear any nylon, just a small pack with comms, BBs and water.

Edited by Skara

14 hours ago, HuttArmouries said:

I just sold off my plate carrier and have instead switched to a viper mini rig like this with different panels and inserts for different guns. I then have 2 belts, 1 with magazine pouches and a holster and the other with just a general large pouch and a holster 

Final_1200_VP_VX_Utility_Rig_Green_01_NE

I also have this and it is a fantastic piece of gear. Super lightweight, can fit 3x AR magazines or 2x M14/G3 magazines in the back panel and you still have room for celphone, car keys and whatever in the front one, you can buy side flaps for more MOLLE attachments, it is cheap (I bought it for 36€) and quite abrasion resistant.

In summer I only use this one

• Supporters

My go-to? A Platatac Peacekeeper MK1. 

Can carry 6 7.62 mags or 9 5.56 ones plus pyro, water, the whole 9 yards. Not cheap though.

Also - you haven't told us what you use, what sort of games you play etc.

Suitable load carrying equipment will vary, not just on personal preference but also on what sort of games you play. At woodland skirmishes I use a SADF M83 chest rig. It has 3 double mag pouches which comfortably hold many different magazine types, 2 pouches which are a perfect size for BFGs and another small pouch. This is then paired up with a belt kit consisting of a pistol holster, pistol mag pouch, extra gas and a rubber knife.

For CQB I go with a low profile plate carrier which holds pistol mags, shotgun shells on the front and a shotgun scabbard on my back. Belt kit is as above, but with the BFGs on my hip instead of the pistol mags

20 hours ago, Gavin W said:

Whats everyone's go to vest, I've got a very light weight plain chest plate but it only has molle on the front, I bought a second vest but it's rather chunky and doesn't work with my battle belt. I'm interested to see what other people like using.

Oh boy. Well if I was efficient then a three pocket bandolier would work for every thing.

I start there and it just snowballs to just take everything! Lightweight for me is an Arktis jungle battle vest and only twelve mags….. 😭

If you can’t clear rooms with a full stock G3 you ain’t trying!

I should probably take the e-tool off my deuce gear….. 😁

Edited by The Waco Kid

Warrior Pathfinder chest rig. 4x M4 mags, 2 utility pouches and molle space that fits another 2x M4 pouches or whatever you need.

I've also used a Haley Strategic DC3R-X knock offs. 4x M4 mags, 4x pistol/40mm grenade pouches, 2x utility pouches.

Currently having to figure out a different load-carrying style because P90 mags are looooong and will not work in my chest rigs.

Edited by MrTea

Run a chicom 3 mag pouch. Currently gathering components to build a chicom "visits brecon, webbing set". 

Have used the SADF Pattern83 vest before and regret selling it tbh. And for anyone with multiple RIFs, I'd say it's an easy go to if you don't mind the colour.

Franken-rig made up of 1 x PLCE dpm yoke, ARKTIS side plate panels and buckshee osprey pouches. Gave me a split front chest rig for £20. Has the ability to carry 6 + 5.56 mags, 2 x pistol mags or speedloaders, water/food/pyro etc. Actually half decent. Shame I don't run any 5.56 RIFs. 

Also bought a 5 cell 5.56 bandolier to add elastic to and run as an Allen belt type bit of kit of just over the shoulder.

20 hours ago, Duff Beer said:

The front opening TT MAV with molle back panel is the best load carrying setup thats not a vest/plate carrier, its very comfy fully loaded, simple and light in itself.

Money no object in my experience, comfiest plate carrier is the Slickster

I ran the MAV setup above for years, great kit.

Im currently trialing my velcro inner/outer rigger gun belt setup, but added a British PLCE yoke for some extra stability when running with a lot of gear on the belt (GBB pistol, 3x mags, 2x AR mags, 1x med, 1x utility, 1x Navtel, 1x dump)

Means i can throw a plate carrier on with a triple front AR mag for CQB etc, or a Combat Smock for woodland, all super low profile / minimal snagging.

• Supporters

Similar to the TT mav but half the price (but better imho) is the bulle mle, I own 2,plus numerous other rigs but always find myself gravitating back to the mle, super comfortable & lightweight, can't recommend it enough. 

https://www.flecktarn.co.uk/odtmb2nx.html

5 hours ago, OTH21 said:

Have used the SADF Pattern83 vest before and regret selling it tbh.

Great bits of kit these but unfortunately they're not the bargain they used to be

I find I tend to use my MTP PLCE kit most of the time, got an Osprey Mk4 to use where I can easily swop out the front panel with different mag set ups (P90, M4, DMR) & a West German Fieldgear PLCE(style) set up for using G3 or G36 mags but 99% of the time I'll use my MTP PLCE. it's the comfiest and most practical for a chubmonster like me. 

While I have SADF M83 battle jacket and chest rig <flex> I find I am running my more minimal ones.

Spiritus MkV (like the regular mini chest rig but only one pocket deep) with 3x M4 mags and a pistol-mag sized speed loader in a Esstac Kywi on the side to top up the M4 gas mags. Axle dangler plate holds a LBX blowout pouch underneath for a basic first aid kit (and protect my gut a bit!)

Plate carrier-wise a Warrior LPC and dangler, with Esstac 5.56 placard and Platatac mag pouches. I'm thinking of getting an Agilite PC in the new year.

Chest rigs, I use a Platatac Peacekeeper Mk5, which has so much space it's ridiculous, and I also have a TMC Spiritus clone with various inserts, and a Chicom, because, well, everyone should have one 😂

For just general m4 mags and playing assault, I have a kombat trojan chest rig. You can't change anything on it, but it's got enough room for everything I usually carry (4 mags, three pistol mags, two grenade pouches, admin pouch, and radio). It's held up for the last three years, no signs of coming apart at all, and I tend to drag it around on the ground when I play. 

I also recently got the bulle mle that @Tackle posted for my sniper loadout to sit under a ghillie. I also have something similar to what @Duff Beer posted, but made by bulle (I believe it goes by "lightweight chest rig"), that's crafted and goes on the outside of a ghille. Both of these are specifically so I don't have anything on my front, and I can lie down without mags digging into my ribs. The velcro on the top panel/pocket of the lightweight rig is coming apart so it's kind of annoying to use, but eveything load bearing is still holding up fine. 

These are all super cheap rigs, so I say they've easily made up their value. 

for me it’s always been Chest rigs for the woods , PC for more urban settings , you generally do less up / down / prone / repeat indoors or in and around buildings and it’s usually a bit faster paced , unless you are doing some sort of extended game , impression or weekender just keep it light and functional . Like many above I prefer a split front chest rig , fixed pouch Eagle or LBT being my favourites . You can get some great deals secondhand on eBay .

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.