What are you're rig/vest recommendations

Gavin W

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

6 hours ago, JimFromHorsham said:

unless you are doing some sort of extended game , impression or weekender just keep it light and functional .

This. It's very easy to fall into the mindset of carrying everything but the kitchen sink "just in case". Invariably you end up carrying loads of unnecessary stuff which is just dead weight

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

This. It's very easy to fall into the mindset of carrying everything but the kitchen sink "just in case". Invariably you end up carrying loads of unnecessary stuff which is just dead weight

Very much so, especially when buying molle platforms, the urge to fill every inch of molle is real, another reason why I favour chest rigs over plate carriers, if I ain't got it I can't fill it lol. 

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, TheFull9 said:

"I use a chest rig because they're smaller and lighter"

His chest rig:

HSGI Denali Warlord Leather Label | Army shop, airsoft, armyburza -  největší burza s militariemi v ČR

(Not aimed at Tackle, it's just a funny trope)

LOL, way way back I had one of those, looks like a copy (?) of a hsgi denali, remember thinking how good it would be for eating lunch in the field🐷🍗🥞🥪🍔🍟

(like half of my rigs I don't think I ever actually played in it) 

I'd say that the key here is - work out what you carry at a typical gameday, and then build your load carrying gear around that. The OP mentioned a battle belt, so yes a solution that works around it - they've already hinted that some of the larger, bulkier carriers will get in the way of this.

I started off with just a belt rig, then went to a plate carrier. As a predominantly midcap user, I found that it was easy to overload and then wouldn't be comfortable, as well as stopping me from going prone. I think over the course of about 18 months I switched between, belt, belt + vest, vest + no belt, webbing, SADF chest rig + belt, PLCE assault vest, Arktis chest rig, and now finally I'm on a Platatac Peacekeeper chest rig.

You're unlikely to find a load carrying solution to suit every event, or one that works really well for someone else and works for you likewise. If you've got mates with different gear then ask if you can see what their kit is like, or if you don't mind a bit of trial and error then maybe go for a chest rig as people have suggested and see if it works - if not then try and return or sell it on (or hoard it like I do).

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Tackle said:

LOL, way way back I had one of those, looks like a copy (?) of a hsgi denali, remember thinking how good it would be for eating lunch in the field🐷🍗🥞🥪🍔🍟

(like half of my rigs I don't think I ever actually played in it) 

That pic is either the Warlord or Denali, I looked up both on google images to see which picture I could find of the most comically huge/overloaded chest rig possible.

I think if someone had to gun to my head and forced me to recommend one bit of gear that'd be most likely to the majority of people for sunday skirmishes, I'd probably go for something with the footprint of a Spiritus Thing 2 (other systems are available).

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, TheFull9 said:

That pic is either the Warlord or Denali, I looked up both on google images to see which picture I could find of the most comically huge/overloaded chest rig possible.

I think if someone had to gun to my head and forced me to recommend one bit of gear that'd be most likely to the majority of people for sunday skirmishes, I'd probably go for something with the footprint of a Spiritus Thing 2 (other systems are available).

The denali was definitely the daddy of overkill when it came to magazine capacity, on top of all the vertical BIG mag pouches you had the zip on lower section that had further horizontal mag pouches, at a guess I'd say 20-25 stanag mag carry was achievable, my back hurts thinking about it. 

Recently picked up a helikon tmr, added a condor hydra back panel & I'm modding some kydex type mag inserts to allow instant switching between 7.62, 5.56, & 9mm smg mags without swapping inserts. 

Yep, I know I always recommend the bulle mle when asked, but I think my decades long search for the perfect loadout (for me🤯) has triggered a bit of ocd, not helped by my recent forced downtime. 

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, JimFromHorsham said:

I think that’s the HSGI Silverthorne … even bigger if I recall 😂

I think they were pretty much identical in size & capacity, available colours & a couple of tiny features were the difference. 

Been a lot of years since I've seen any in use🤔

16 minutes ago, Tackle said:

I think they were pretty much identical in size & capacity, available colours & a couple of tiny features were the difference. 

Been a lot of years since I've seen any in use🤔

my man @The Waco Kidwill probably know down to the last stitch 🤪

• Supporters

I source most of my gear through EBay , mostly for collecting sake so for me all that’s required is a little patience for the right piece or a little cash on standby for that bargain popping up :)

This Eagle MPCR in excellent condition was £85 , absolutely bomb proof rig , comfy and loads of load carriage should you want it .

IMG_5272.thumb.jpeg.9568d5006548a05b67496b841e6c4a17.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I need help! Can't decide between a Yakeda 1000D rig or the Invader Gear Mod Combo rig. I'm trying to maximise mag capacity and storage whilst maintaining a low profile that allows for additional attachments if I need them. Both are great for the price, but I am thinking of getting the Yakeda rig with the belt, with would be cheaper than the Mod Combo rig. Any/all considerations appreciated! 

Screenshot_20231209-211112.png

Screenshot_20231209-025104.png

Each to their own but even at the lower price of £86 (plus a belt?) thats whack.

Both are going to be naff compared to a second hand Arktis or pattern 83 chest rig…if you really want a plate carrier you could get a “real steel” item off eBay for sub £150 more often than not with pouches on them.

4 hours ago, Wavey_Gravey said:

Each to their own but even at the lower price of £86 (plus a belt?) thats whack.

Both are going to be naff compared to a second hand Arktis or pattern 83 chest rig…if you really want a plate carrier you could get a “real steel” item off eBay for sub £150 more often than not with pouches on them.

I've looked around on Ebay and I don't fancy paying silly money for 2nd hand that I need to build all over again I'd rather throw that kind of money at guns and attachments tbh! Just looking for something reliable and hassle-free with plenty of real estate. As for comparing them to real carriers, I'm quickly finding out that comparison is the thief of joy and money in this hobby, haha! 

• Supporters

Cheap new chinese kit with iffy knock-off quick release buckles doesn't fit in the 'realiable and hassle free' category, I'd say the opposite frankly.  It might be fine, it might break after a game or when a bb hits one of the buckles; you roll the dice.  

There's various Warrior kit on eBay right now that's bomb proof, plus some arktis as mentioned.  Or there's the venerable BULLE options which have always been solid and yet still real cheap:

https://www.flecktarn.co.uk/odtmb2nx.html

https://www.flecktarn.co.uk/odtav2nx.html

This'll be way better made than the invader gear kit at about 40% less money.

https://www.flecktarn.co.uk/sdtav3nx.html

Just some of the examples out there.

8 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

Cheap new chinese kit with iffy knock-off quick release buckles doesn't fit in the 'realiable and hassle free' category, I'd say the opposite frankly.  It might be fine, it might break after a game or when a bb hits one of the buckles; you roll the dice.  

There's various Warrior kit on eBay right now that's bomb proof, plus some arktis as mentioned.  Or there's the venerable BULLE options which have always been solid and yet still real cheap:

https://www.flecktarn.co.uk/odtmb2nx.html

https://www.flecktarn.co.uk/odtav2nx.html

This'll be way better made than the invader gear kit at about 40% less money.

https://www.flecktarn.co.uk/sdtav3nx.html

Just some of the examples out there.

From what I've seen regarding reviews these kits are fine and no one complaining they fall apart or anything. BBs aren't going to destroy these things, so why do people act like we need to be nuclear-proof? I'll definitely look at these links though, but not looking to prepare for war in Ukraine when my biggest worry is getting a bit dirty! 

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, The DrabOlive said:

From what I've seen regarding reviews these kits are fine and no one complaining they fall apart or anything. BBs aren't going to destroy these things, so why do people act like we need to be nuclear-proof? I'll definitely look at these links though, but not looking to prepare for war in Ukraine when my biggest worry is getting a bit dirty! 

Your not quite getting it, some of the knock off copies, & they're not all relatively cheap, have suspect build quality, no double stitch bars at the end of stitch rows etc, & poor composition plastic buckles that to the untrained eye look literally super hard in their feel, but that's deceptive, while a harder material their usually considerably thinner, which means that when hit with enough force, which isn't necessarily an excessive force, but highly focused by a BB, they shatter or have holes punched through them. 

Hence when people recommend particular kit it's usually because it's been proven over time. 

Bulle kit is generally brilliant, not necessarily the very best tactical kit available if you had very deep pockets, but as budget kit nothing really matches its price point. 

3 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Your not quite getting it, some of the knock off copies, & they're not all relatively cheap, have suspect build quality, no double stitch bars at the end of stitch rows etc, & poor composition plastic buckles that to the untrained eye look literally super hard in their feel, but that's deceptive, while a harder material their usually considerably thinner, which means that when hit with enough force, which isn't necessarily an excessive force, but highly focused by a BB, they shatter or have holes punched through them. 

Hence when people recommend particular kit it's usually because it's been proven over time. 

Bulle kit is generally brilliant, not necessarily the very best tactical kit available if you had very deep pockets, but as budget kit nothing really matches its price point. 

Yeah the bulle stuff looks great and affordable. Honestly I've been thinking about making an investment in Warrior Assault gear which I have been led to believe is really good - and it comes in black! Surely Warrior is a safe bet? 

Screenshot_20231210-222523.png

• Supporters
33 minutes ago, The DrabOlive said:

Yeah the bulle stuff looks great and affordable. Honestly I've been thinking about making an investment in Warrior Assault gear which I have been led to believe is really good - and it comes in black! Surely Warrior is a safe bet? 

Screenshot_20231210-222523.png

Warrior kit is awesome, owned quite a few rigs of theirs (still got a DAR rig), slightly on the heavy side but I guess for good reason, but if your fit enough it won't be an issue. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.