Airsoft, finances and mental health.

Wavey_Gravey

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Definitely agree.

I have deleted Instagram several times due to the 'let's impress someone' mindset it gives you.

I now just use it sparingly.

Social media is cancer. People try to outdo each other when in reality "everyone" has the same grey and boring life.

Airsoft is quite unique regarding spending money because it's not difficult to see how deep that rabbit hole goes. It's crazy how easy to get addicted to get more guns when you don't need them actually but you can always find an excuse for yourself. 🤔

Edited by Krisz

7 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

As you say, it's only a game, do no more than you need to have fun playing it; and balls to everyone else who try to make it otherwise

*Insert Chris Hemsworth "this" gif*

8 hours ago, Wavey_Gravey said:

that ultimate “thing”

I have decided that with my new/replacement plastic slinger, I can justify a telescopic sight....the gun cost more so I can spend more on attachments, as you say, the rabbit whole goes deep. Got it down to a choice of two .... and then I got an actual tap measure next to said gun ..  😂

On the social media side of things, I post here more than I do FB but on the plus side I saw a post similar to this, a mental health check in and was reminded to get my pills. So thank you for the check in. 

Still buying the scope though....

Social media and tabloids can seriously damage your mental health.  

Hope your pal is OK.  

12 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Financial awareness is something that is severely lacking from our education system, coupled with susceptibility to peer pressure and you have a very dangerous concoction.

It’s not only ‘education’ on financial awareness but situations can change, eg credit is perfectly fine at a manageable level until the pay packet is taken away or even with no credit commitments an emergency can break finances

When the spiral occurs for whatever reason then it’s very easy to rapidly decline a mental state.  Even with spiraling debt their can be a rush from spending on a nice shiney thing which you know is better spent on digging out a tiny step forward 

I’m comfortably off, am debt free other than a credit card which is the months diesel bill and sometimes hotel stays which gets cleared every pay day, and I’m usually ending up with more money left over than the previous month

But there have been times that this hasn’t been the case

I’ve had dark times which haven’t gone anywhere - it’s good to talk

You need close friends that you can tell anything, but sometimes it’s a stranger that you turn to

I’ve lost friends that could still be here today if only the right time happened, and I still have friends around that might not have come through to the other side 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Probably the best thread title/premise I've seen on here.  Great idea.

I think I was lucky in a respect, when I went through my trade training (age 19/20) it was like a more compact stint at uni except we got paid and had to march for it.  I'd watch most of the other lads on my course manage to vanish their pay packet within a week every single month, for 15 months.  They'd *constantly* complain about being skint the 2nd half of the month and be even worse when their cars were due MOT or insurance.  I figured I'd better not be like them.

Appreciate the folks who've been so open and honest so far, really good to see.  I hope this discussion continues.

Not sure what more I can add that hasn't already been posted, but there's some great advice here

As someone who has struggled with debt and mental health issues I fully understand how appealing that new gun feeling can be, only for it to go very quickly and be replaced by the shitty feeling that you're still in the same position but more skint.

When it comes to social media I find it's good to remember that what you're seeing is an extremely edited version of what's going on in people's lives and occasionally taking a break from it for a few weeks can do your mental health a world of good, especially the airsoft groups on facebook. All the whinning manbabies on there really make me dispair for the future of the hobby so I left almost all of them

On 22/02/2023 at 16:21, Speedbird_666 said:

I was very lucky. My Wife didn't divorce me (but it was close) - I don't know where I would be today if she had. I was able to change jobs and dramatically increase my income. Every spare penny went into repaying the debt - and it took 5 years - but for the last 2 years I have not owed a penny to anyone and I am determined to keep it that way. 

It can be done - I would also suggest taking a look at the 'Debt Free Wannabe' section of the Money Saving Expert forums, it helped us to identify the best course of action for the circumstances I landed myself (and family) in. 

Well done, this to me is cool as fuck! I'm sure you and your good wife are stronger than ever and financially much better. 

Seriously, excellent work and yes, money saving expert. what a legend and how much support you can get from there. Nice one! 

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

especially the airsoft groups on facebook

Facebook have just yeeted me because "We think you're under 13" (despite having that account for at least that long!). "Provide real world ID to get access."

Nah, I'm fine, thanks.  They really did me a favour there - one fewer thing to refresh every morning, seeking engagement that's really nothing of the sort.

• Supporters

That unboxing buzz sure is addictive.  It's great to hear that you're out of the hole now though, and helping your sons to avoid falling in it.

1 hour ago, Egon_247 said:

You want something and the access to be able to buy it is waaaaaay too easy to do.

Goddamn Klarna at every checkout.  Can't afford it now?  No problems, just pay it off later! No interest, no fees, no catch!

Unless, you know, you can't afford it later either.  Then they'll be happy to turn your payment into a loan at 19%.  Can't pay that off?  Then they'll turn it over to Big Baz at their debt collection arm and start piling on the fees and valuing your furniture.

It's predatory behaviour: their entire business model is based on pushing people into the debt pit. 

I will say I also don't think we should be demonising spending money on things we want, as long as it's within your means. Finances are such an individual thing, and for the most part an entirely case by case basis. Just be responsible.

Edited by alxndrhll

On 03/03/2023 at 11:07, Tackle said:

…….have ascertained that you must be childlike.......... 

I for one have throughout my life put into  practice the right not to grow up

42 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

I will say I also don't think we should be demonising spending money on things we want, as long as it's within your means. Finances are such an individual thing, and for the most part an entirely case by case basis. Just be responsible.

I don’t think that any post here has demonised spending (even out of your means)

The thread highlights other issues, whether spending is a temporary escape from the issues or whether spending is the cause of the issue

In both the spiral is the same

I take the thread as a call out to think, and to not be afraid of seeking help

Just one is a victory 

15 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

I don’t think that any post here has demonised spending (even out of your means)

The thread highlights other issues, whether spending is a temporary escape from the issues or whether spending is the cause of the issue

In both the spiral is the same

I take the thread as a call out to think, and to not be afraid of seeking help

Just one is a victory 

I absolutely agree, and the post wasn't intended to point out any posts that were or I'd have quoted the ones that I felt had. Purely highlighting there are two sides to it, and you shouldn't feel bad every time you buy something... as long as you're responsible in doing it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.