Zero One is closing their shop.

BigStew

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, EDcase said:

I don't know about you guys but I never bought anything from them so I guess they didn't have competitive prices.

I bought some mags from them as they were the only stockist. Never the cheapest that I've seen, little low end stuff, and the site is an utter shitshow for actually finding what you're looking for.

I do understand that their prices have to be higher to cover the costs of the bricks and mortar, but that's really only a draw for people shopping and buying in person.

7 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Hopefully its not going to be a trend with other retailers.

Mmm, good news is that the business will go to them, bad news is that it's autumn and the lean times are already starting - and Zero One is fire-sailing their stock.

I mean, if they actually get around to applying the promised discount, which it doesn't seem like they have. 

It's not completely closing. They say the website as is will go away but they're launching a new website next year where they'll only sell TM stuff. The showroom is shutting down so they'll be online only. 

• Supporters

Yep, business rates/rents etc are crippling most walk in stores, irrespective of the products they sell, add to that the rising stock costs means most businesses are walking a tightrope in fear of the next setback, I wonder how many heard the gloom predictions regarding the next budget & are literally thinking "should I jump before I'm pushed ?".

The other big issue is t'internet, we're now the generation to learn about the must have airsoft stuff via it, we then scour it for availability & best prices, & if a retailer wants us to buy from them, their having to virtually shoot themselves in the foot financially to get the sales.

It's a sorry state of affairs🙁

22 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Hmm, good news is that the business will go to them, bad news is that it's autumn and the lean times are already starting - and Zero One is fire-sailing their stock.

I mean, if they actually get around to applying the promised discount, which it doesn't seem like they have. 

It auto applies the discount at checkout - it fooled me too.

I never bought from them, purely for not having anything I really wanted at the time but it's a shame. As already said, it's a warning of the state of UK retail though I blame business rates and property leases (along with the lack of relief) for the most part. I've always bought new RIFs and other expensive items from the UK only where possible to support retailers.

Edited by Galvatron

While this is surprising, thinking about it it's not unexpected. I'd guess that most airsoft shops do the majority of their business online, I know I haven't set foot in an airsoft shop for a few years. If having a physical store is a net loss then I can see why they're going online only. I just hope their new website is easier to use than the old one as it was one of the things which put me off shopping there.

1 hour ago, Daveoc33 said:

they'll only sell TM stuff.

This is an odd one to me. By only selling TM stuff they're effectively cutting out a large chunk of the market as not everyone has the £500+ in disposable income to get a TM rif with mags etc

24 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

This is an odd one to me. By only selling TM stuff they're effectively cutting out a large chunk of the market as not everyone has the £500+ in disposable income to get a TM rif with mags etc

True but more profit and much less returns. There are a lot of brands retailers have stopped stocking as the failure rates and warranty repairs/refunds are killing any profit. I would make a bet that there is good money in pistols and accessories. 

• Supporters

It's a shame to see any retailer go that's been around for as long as they have, but they chose to invest a hefty chunk in a new showroom at just the wrong time. Add to that the location not being cheap and airsoft being rather a luxury, the current economic climate was sure to have an effect sooner or later. To be perfectly honest I was more upset when ProAirsoft shut down.

I was in the Z1 showroom a couple of months ago (i'm relatively local) - midday on a Saturday. And I was the only customer. Spent 45min in the shop chatting with Alex - no one else came in during that time. I also noticed that they were also renting out parts of their unit (downstairs) to another company. Never a good sign as that was part of their huge warehouse.

I think that people forget that Z1 was one of the very first UK online Airsoft retailers. I remember looking at their website as far back as 1999/2000 on the college PCs wishing I had the money to buy to put together a metal body TM build from parts. They had some cool shit in stock back in those days.

Sad to see the retail side of things go - but such is life.

55 minutes ago, BigStew said:

True but more profit and much less returns. There are a lot of brands retailers have stopped stocking as the failure rates and warranty repairs/refunds are killing any profit. I would make a bet that there is good money in pistols and accessories. 

Not touching individual brands I can understand but to not touch anything that isn't TM does seem a little shortsighted to me, especially as TM haven't been immune from certain models having issues.

14 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

Not touching individual brands I can understand but to not touch anything that isn't TM does seem a little shortsighted to me, especially as TM haven't been immune from certain models having issues.

It does seem.odd to be exclusive to one brand. Only thing I can think off is they have a very good deal with a whole seller and intend to be an unofficial TM dealer/wholesaler to all of UK maybe. Agreed TM isn't immune to design flaws and duds but there failure rate is significantly lower than any other manufacturer. CYMA is the biggest manufacturer on the planet but even their high end stuff has high failure rates just look at the retailer boneyards.

Edited by BigStew

I can kinda see it working. It works for places like Eagle 6 and KOA.

If they make it a one-stop-shop for TM products, both AEG, NGRS, propane and propane accessories - and be a bit cheaper and quicker than the rest of the UK, then TM fanboys and girls like myself will shop there.

CAMOraids in Essex is almost exclusively a TM shop. With some other high end gear added into the mix. They also run a site and events and it seems to be good enough for them.

Whilst the decline of the Brick and Mortar shop is obvious. I think this is Zero Ones own doing. They never innovated, kept with a very confusing to operate and filter website, so many things out of stock and the stock was very inconsistent in terms of the type of things they sold. 

It's one of the only Airsoft shops that I never looked at when searching for a specific thing, because I knew they wouldn't have it or it would be more expensive than others. 

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Tackle said:

I wonder how many heard the gloom predictions regarding the next budget & are literally thinking "should I jump before I'm pushed ?".

Yup, I'm pre-tightening my belt.  And fine-weather hobby suppliers tend to call it a day in autumn, you see it with bike dealers as well.

4 hours ago, Tackle said:

The other big issue is t'internet, we're now the generation to learn about the must have airsoft stuff via it, we then scour it for availability & best prices, & if a retailer wants us to buy from them, their having to virtually shoot themselves in the foot financially to get the sales.

It's a sorry state of affairs🙁

Mmm, some comments in the Facebook post about punters trying out guns at retailers, and then buying online while still in the shop, without even asking for a price match.  That's a proper dick move.

22 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Mmm, some comments in the Facebook post about punters trying out guns at retailers, and then buying online while still in the shop, without even asking for a price match.  That's a proper dick move.

Yep. When I was in the previous iteration of the Z1 retail shop (they had a unit near Bournemouth Airport before consolidating operations into a new showroom at their warehouse) I watched that exact thing happen. One kiddie was moaning that he didn't have signal to order whilst his mate was testing the pistol on the little range they had.

Thing is, Z1 would price match provided the cheaper retailer isn't listing whatever you want as a 'sale' item. I used the facility a number of times.

4 hours ago, Lozart said:

To be perfectly honest I was more upset when ProAirsoft shut down.

Same here; that was a great little shop for a while.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

That's really scummy. One thing I appreciate about bricks & mortar retail is that you can usually speak in person if something goes wrong with whatever you buy and have less chance of being ghosted with emails or phone calls with a web-only retailer.

The fact that people would "showroom" and order online on the premises without asking for a price match shows shameless contempt.

18 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

As much as this is <oh-well-anyway.gif>, it's also a yellow flag about the state of retail and airsoft in particular in the UK.  We really don't want to have to be importing individually from Abroadland.

People are skint more than ever and airsoft is a luxury hobby plus you don't need a new RIF every week compared to bread or milk.

Brick and mortar shops are deemed to fail since amazon and other online retailers turned up. They killed high street shops nationwide. There are other reasons ofc but people are already mentioned it.

A shame to see it go. I've never been to the store, but I had hoped I would at least visit if I was nearby.

For a while, they had this thing on their website called the Stock Exchange. I think it was a way to get rid of old parts etc. The prices of anything on the Exchange changed every fifteen minutes. I ended up getting a G&P Patriot kit for £60 or so.

Here's hoping they do well with their new website.

On 10/09/2024 at 17:54, Rogerborg said:

When I worked in a bicycle shop, folks would come in to try shoes/clothing on and I'd see them scrolling online for prices while they supped our free coffee. I know everyone wants everything as cheap as they can get it (I'm the same) but I think people forget that every hour a shop is open, it's costing money.

I had one experience with ZeroOne, nearly 20 years ago. I bought an ICS MP5SD that was DOA. I sent it back and they accused me of having opened the motor housing because the wiring was bust! They repaired it (as a gesture of goodwill...) and I haven't shopped there since.

Edited by LMKipper