People’s view of how the sport of airsoft skirmishing will fair if Labour win the election

Anybody have concerns of how airsoft will go if Labour win. Are they any worse than the tories when it comes to our sport. 

Posted (edited)

The only party I am aware of that has something that might affect us is the Green Party. It's pretty light on substance and doesn't mention our existing defence for Airsoft. But they may just make us turn our RIFs into IFs. 

image.png.f8de6af82ff6971276c4749ea76fe203.png

Edited by Asomodai

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

The only party I am aware of that has something that might affect us is the Green Party. It's pretty light on substance and doesn't mention our existing defence for Airsoft. But they may just make us turn our RIFs into IFs. 

Normally I would have said they don't have a snowballs, but after Trump & Boris, which I never believed would happen, & given the current level of distrust of all the main parties, I'm making no predictions this time🤔

1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

That is an extract from a brief dated in 2004, which relates to what subsequently went into consultation and ended up with the VCRA legislation (covering the quoted film & theatrical uses and clear IF definition) and the additional statutory instrument which resulted in the Skirmisher defence 

https://www.greenparty.org.uk/files/reports/2004/Gun control.htm

As others have posted airsoft (and other recreational gun like activities) aren’t really on the politicians radars.

Scotlands politics is a very different beast with a long tradition in politicians targeting ‘guns’

Back in the day when paintball arrived in the UK the nearest legislation was for low powered air weapons, but paintball ran on CO2 (and still does for some) The difference between CO2 and air was ignored for the majority of the UK but not for Scotland.  In England paintball (on legal & safe commercial sites) was ignored, but in Scotland paintball sites were regularly raided and prosecuted for firearms offences.  Ultimately CO2 was added to the law on air weapons

In recent years the ‘air weapon certificate’ was introduced, and though the specific legislation wording could be interpreted differently an ‘intent’ was shown that airsoft and paintball would not be air weapons under that legislation 

(Airsoft has also had explicit amendments to firearms legislation excluding compliant airsoft guns from being firearms / air weapons - paintball has no such exclusion but Home Office guidelines set paintball aside provided other projectiles are not used)

Don’t be a dick, keep showing ourselves as ‘responsible voices’ on the forums etc and don’t act in a knee jerk manner in anticipation of a knee jerk action

14 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

That is an extract from a brief dated in 2004, which relates to what subsequently went into consultation and ended up with the VCRA legislation (covering the quoted film & theatrical uses and clear IF definition) and the additional statutory instrument which resulted in the Skirmisher defence 

https://www.greenparty.org.uk/files/reports/2004/Gun control.htm

As others have posted airsoft (and other recreational gun like activities) aren’t really on the politicians radars.

It's still on their policy list updated from 2024

Crime and Justice - Policy (greenparty.org.uk)

33 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

A quick look on Google shows the green party only have 83 candidates named as standing so they've got as much chance of winning as I've got at becoming the next Pope. 

Full disclosure, I could only find 1 website with the list so I can't be sure how accurate it is

Edit because I posted before finishing.

Alot of people will be put off voting green by their other policies such as increasing road fuel tax and cutting funding for road building

Current polls suggest that Labour are unlikely to win an outright majority and will need a second party to prop up a government. It will probably be Lib Dems, but could be Green party if they only need a few votes. 

Look how well it went when the green party formed a coalition government with the SNP in Scotland I think any party would seriously think twice before entering into a joint government with them

39 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

It's still on their policy list updated from 2024

Crime and Justice - Policy (greenparty.org.uk)

It is, and the last amendment for that section is 2009 

It’s a 15 to 20 year old section, which has had the predicted legislation put into place (subject to consultation and review)

If they were to pursue further controls as detailed they would still be subject to the legislative process (though the skirmisher defence isn’t core legislation and can be subject to the strike of a pen) there remains the matter of getting through the majorities required to raise legislation, including every MP that gets petitioned by their constituents - especially businesses/employers in their constituency.

Tag on the preservation argument from sites and land owners about use of  the forests of the UK generating a level of income to the owning farmer from the site and the associated rates & taxes going into the treasury

It is of course a potential risk, but one that can be managed 

I’m a Green Party member, we’re embroiled in leadership power struggles, internal politics and various other operational issues.

I wouldn’t worry, and if we did get a sniff at an election win, which we won’t, but if we did I assure you I’d personally take a significantly more active role as a party member to ensure the right people are put in front of the right decision makers to ensure the longevity of airsoft.

As much as I or others don’t want to believe it, party donors have a lot of sway in the Green Party, a fat donation could wipe that policy right off the manifesto.

Posted (edited)

Airsoft is a 'huge' business so I'd be extremely suprised if any gov would like to ban it.

What goverments (aka corrupt politicians and their cronies) love more than anything? You guessed it right. Taxpayers' money.

Edited by Krisz

• Supporters

Challenge accepted. "And the next game scenario..." will become "And the script outline for the next improvised theatrical performance scene..."

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Challenge accepted. "And the next game scenario..." will become "And the script outline for the next improvised theatrical performance scene..."

No worries ….

FilmSim has it covered, just ensure that scenario has an actual scenario complete with some embedded NPC role play marshals and market your ‘immersive theatrical experience’

I’ve even just come up with a bare bones overview that could be marketed for anyone from the experienced to the one off amateur taster, with a low(er) budget homage to Bill Murray, I’m provisionally calling it “The man who knew even less” 

This will work best in those non standard urban environments, and even better we don’t need to wait for disused shopping centres.  Make it a full immersive experience so that customers never really know who is an NPC, a player or just random public 

what could go wrong? 

Honestly as a grown adult who has a mortgage and has seen that payment go from "tm recoil" to "GBLS DAS416" a month courtesy of Truss (elected by the Tory membership) whilst seeing a 14 year slump in my actual take home pay honestly, I love airsoft, but the less the current tory party (who by the way have a very nasty tendency of knee jerk bans and sneaking stuff into legality through "questionable" means) have to do with running the country the happier I am.

To echo comments above, we worry about Labour, but the Conservatives (who opposed the VCRA) had 14 years to repeal the act but didn't.

The VCRA was a hobby horse of Hazel Blears, and was derived from the unpublished Home Office Consultation on Firearms (allegedly never published  because the public gave the wrong answers, and unavailable through FOI).

The manifesto pledge was:

"Most respondents to the consultation wanted some controls on Replica Weapons, particularly sales to under 18s".

This as we know became a total ban, partially overturned by the Lords.

It was also based on a blip in the figures caused by instructions from the Home Office to Police forces to record unidentified weapons (where no weapon was fired or recovered so type uncertain) as "replicas" rather than "unknown". 

There are figures for the paltry number of convictions under the act since 2007 and no evidence that Replicas are a problem.

As others have said, the next Government has much bigger things to worry about and the best thing the Airsoft Community can do is not draw attention to itself.

On 28/05/2024 at 15:36, Asomodai said:

Current polls suggest that Labour are unlikely to win an outright majority and will need a second party to prop up a government. It will probably be Lib Dems, but could be Green party if they only need a few votes. 

One outlying poll predicted that. Other polls with larger numbers of respondent are still showing a 20-22 point lead.

On 28/05/2024 at 14:48, Tackle said:

Normally I would have said they don't have a snowballs, but after Trump & Boris, which I never believed would happen, & given the current level of distrust of all the main parties, I'm making no predictions this time🤔

I'm sure all 19 people who vote for the Green party appreciate your enthusiasm 

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, rj1986 said:

I'm sure all 19 people who vote for the Green party appreciate your enthusiasm 

They got in locally up the road from me, place had been staunch Conservative for decades, & then proceeded to do feck all except upset people with daft money wasting ideas🤬

Lol, you reap what you sow 🤣

Let's face it, all politicians are self serving cunts, the mere desire to do the job should automatically disqualify someone from doing so. Whoever gets in will do whatever they think will get them more votes so they can spend longer on the gravy train.

Fortunatly the UK airsoft scene provides lots of jobs and some decent tax revenue , which are good arguments for not fucking about with it.

2 hours ago, Nick G said:

Fortunatly the UK airsoft scene provides lots of jobs and some decent tax revenue , which are good arguments for not fucking about with it.

Have you ever heard of someone called Thatcher?

57 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

Have you ever heard of someone called Thatcher?

I remember her well