Ambush - Netflix

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Usual cheap “nam” generic stereotypes.

got 30min in and gave up, only posting this as the rifle spotting pissed me off no end.

airgun as a sniper rifle

a2 m16’s 

I expect there will be more but I got bored 

enjoy 

Edited by Stratton Oakmont

As I mentioned in the '416 thread, "The Covenant" on Amazon Prime seems to contain VFC HK416 A5's 🤓

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 hour ago, Leo Greer said:

I love it when I see airsoft guns or air guns in movies.

In one of the promo pictures for the movie Nobody the guy literally has a Hicap in his rifle 😆

658E1583-D2EB-4A5A-8CB3-1CAE7C654E30.thumb.jpeg.59bc50df07778e02a7690c8287e675e5.jpeg

Great film though 

1 hour ago, Leo Greer said:

I love it when I see airsoft guns or air guns in movies.

In one of the promo pictures for the movie Nobody the guy literally has a Hicap in his rifle 😆

658E1583-D2EB-4A5A-8CB3-1CAE7C654E30.thumb.jpeg.59bc50df07778e02a7690c8287e675e5.jpeg

Great film tho...

42 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

As I mentioned in the '416 thread, "The Covenant" on Amazon Prime seems to contain VFC HK516 A5's 🤓

I really enjoyed that film.  The translater dude looks very similar to one of the guys that work for me, which was a bit disconcerting. 

Certainly not what I was expecting from Guy Ritchie

Edited by Dan Robinson

2 hours ago, Stratton Oakmont said:

a2 m16’s

At this point I gave up too.

13 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

I really enjoyed that film.  The translater dude looks very similar to one of the guys that work for me, which was a bit disconcerting. 

Certainly not what I was expecting from Guy Ritchie

Yes agree. It was a very good film.

47 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Great film though 

33 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

Great film tho...

Never seen it. I kinda wanted to though… if only to figure out how they managed to fit real bullets into those hicaps. 😉

12 minutes ago, Leo Greer said:

Never seen it. I kinda wanted to though… if only to figure out how they managed to fit real bullets into those hicaps. 😉

It's a great film though

After the Baldwin on set accident,I've read that some studios are going to replica's and prop guns to avoid anything else happening. So expect to see a lot more CGI muzzle flash and case ejection, as well as hicaps and feed lips.

Not sure i agree with it, as the Baldwin shooting was breaking many many rules and should've been avoided

28 minutes ago, rj1986 said:

Not sure i agree with it, as the Baldwin shooting was breaking many many rules and should've been avoided

Absolutely the circumstances were atrocious -- but in a time where replicas can be identical to "real steel" variants without the lethality, and convincing effects for muzzle flash / projectile travel can be created without the risk to anyone else, why wouldn't you agree with it?

Sure, catching some airsoft replicas might make you feel like there's a little less realism for a moment, but there are plenty "dummy" guns that did the job long before airsoft came along... Replicas and props aren'y anything new by a long shot, so what exactly are you against / in disagreement / uncertainty about? 🤨

58 minutes ago, rj1986 said:

After the Baldwin on set accident,I've read that some studios are going to replica's and prop guns to avoid anything else happening. So expect to see a lot more CGI muzzle flash and case ejection, as well as hicaps and feed lips.

Having watched a lot of the court motions on that case I am amazed he got away with it....   But this is worth a watch as they discuss alternatives to blanks and airsoft:

• Supporters
17 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

It's a great film though

Reviews unclear, watching it now to determine if it's a great film.

Hmm, they're not even bothering with CGI-ing in ejecting shellazines.  The bloke doing the "sniping" is comical, he's holding it like it's a rattlesnake that just bit him, and jerking it all over the place. Still seems to be hitting everything though, and every shot from Freedom calibre is an instakill.

Grea- decent film though.  Needs more Emily Beecham, but then everything does.

Arec Bardwin - and particularly the murderously incompetent nepotism hire armourer Gutierrez-Reed - have ensured that everything is going to have winding wheels or gas valves from now on.  Eh, no biggie. We get the joy of spotting them, most folk won't know the difference, and we're watching make-believe anyway.

5 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Grea- decent film though.  Needs more Emily Beecham, but then everything does.

Ah, I was echoing the 'great film' for Nobody

The Covenant... decent, agreed!

Sniping in films is almost universally awful, isn't it?   I just watched The Mother where J-Lo teaches her kid to shoot, where the target basically fills the sight picture of the scope ... and naturally she still manages to miss - to leave room for improvement

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

Arec Bardwin - and particularly the murderously incompetent nepotism hire armourer Gutierrez-Reed - have ensured that everything is going to have winding wheels or gas valves from now on.  Eh, no biggie. We get the joy of spotting them, most folk won't know the difference, and we're watching make-believe anyway.

We get to feel just like all the other blokes whose professions and hobbies are butchered by the jokes in Hollywood. 😂

13 minutes ago, Leo Greer said:

We get to feel just like all the other blokes whose professions and hobbies are butchered by the jokes in Hollywood. 😂

I thought The Accountant sums up my profession rather well - it's not all grey suits and tax returns you know 😂

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Sniping in films is almost universally awful, isn't it? 

Season 1 of Shooter is particularly egregious, given that it's specifically about the snipiest of snipers.  Put the crosshairs right on the target and you hit. At any range, on any target, from any elevation, without holdover, or leading.  I nearly snorted up a lung when Snipy McSniperson described .223 Remington as "a squirrel round".

The thing that strikes me is that Hollywood is full of people who make content about guns, but loathe guns so much that they refuse to find out the first thing about them. And that's how you Arec Bardwin someone.

Thought I'd check out the Ambush trailer as I've never even heard of it.  That's gone straight into the 'Nope' pile.

I was really surprised by The Covenant though.  It went very CoD towards the end but it was solid enough with a pretty good message.

• Supporters

Covenant was OK, bear in mind that a majority of audiences aren't stitch counters, more often it's the stars rather than the content that gets butt's on seats. 

As for sniping, or any other particular military skillets, the finer details have got to be compressed in to 2 hours or less, read the book of the same title, binge it in 24-48hrs maybe, or take a week or two, either way the detail you'll probably briefly absorb would be impossible to put in to film unless you "24" it (Jack bauer !). 

1 hour ago, Jamsandwich said:

Thought I'd check out the Ambush trailer as I've never even heard of it.  That's gone straight into the 'Nope' pile.

I was really surprised by The Covenant though.  It went very CoD towards the end but it was solid enough with a pretty good message.

The Covenant is just about ok.  Ambush, on the other hand, is garbage; the plot is full of holes, the script is awful and the acting is dreadful.

• Supporters
56 minutes ago, Tackle said:

the finer details have got to be compressed in to 2 hours or less

Sure, but my issue is when they choose to get things so deliberately wrong, in a way that assumes the audience lacks the most minimal of knowledge, or even the basic cognitive reasoning of an average ten year old.

As an audience member, it feels personally insulting.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.