Picture prop

Parantodd

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Parantodd said:

Hi there I wanted to know what I’d have to do in regards to using my airsoft pistol as a prop in some photos,do I have to notify anyone of what I’m doing or can I go ahead and use it as a prop

Are you joking ?, unless your on private land & not visible to members of the public etc, then it's a big fat NO. 

11 minutes ago, Parantodd said:

I was going for like a detective thing on some common land by me but I live in the countryside so it’s in the middle of nowhere but people do walk up there

Unless its on private land forget it, even then you still stand the chance of the local ARV turning up. You'd be better off asking your local Airsoft site if you can go out in the game area before or after play has finished so you can do whatever you're trying to do in the safety of a place where replicas aren't in potential view of people that could and would call the plod on you.

For context - Ive been on private land doing pest control and had someone call the police because they saw me with a gun. Once I spoke to police to say why I was there and showed them that I had permission to be there all was good but its an entirely different scenario to you wanting to take a few snaps with a replica which chances are look nothing like what would be used for pest control and being dressed like a "detective" would definitely raise more than a few eyebrows!

1 hour ago, JimFromHorsham said:

If it’s outside sainsburys I’d say let the police know first then they can meet you there for crowd control .

Unless you're a reputable production company this would never happen and even if it did would cost an arm and a leg.

Edited by clumpyedge

1 minute ago, clumpyedge said:

Unless its on private land forget it, even then you still stand the chance of the local ARV turning up. You'd be better off asking your local Airsoft site if you can go out in the game area before or after play has finished so you can do whatever you're trying to do in the safety of a place where replicas aren't in potential view of people that could and would call the plod on you.

For context - Ive been on private land doing pest control and had someone call the police because they saw me with a gun. Once I spoke to police to say why I was there and showed them that I had permission to be there all was good but its an entirely different scenario to you wanting to take a few snaps with a replica which chances are look nothing like what would be used for pest control etc

Unless you're a reputable production company this would never happen and even if it did would cost an arm and a leg.

oh my bad , the police near me have always been really responsive when it comes to firearm looking things in a public place and For some people the Cost is irrelevant , the heart wants what the heart wants .

• Supporters

Jim was using that rare talent that only us older non-woke members understand. 

23bad305474529ede0def9c4bb3417fa.jpg

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Parantodd said:

I was going for like a detective thing on some common land by me but I live in the countryside so it’s in the middle of nowhere but people do walk up there

First, I'm not encouraging you to do it.  Quite the opposite. But all you actually need is "a reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies with [you])".

There's nothing in the statute that requires you go to your local police for permission - and it's not like they have a statutory power to refuse.  It would definitely be the sensible thing to do though. When I used to do swords-and-axes reenactment, we trained in public (and got a few recruits that way) but were careful to liaise with the local community policing unit, and had contact names and a copy of our public liability insurance to hand.

Is this by yourself, or some sort of multi-person photo-shoot?  I ask because there's a pragmatic difference in a rambler stumbling across you doing a Trenchcoat Mafia tribute act with a selfie stick, versus seeing you chatting a photographer wearing a hi-vis - the universal symbol for "it's OK for me to be doing this".

I've done a fair bit of unauthorised filming with props including rifs, BUT using cameras that were shoulder held by members of a small film crew.  

If it's blindingly obvious what you are up to, then it's blindingly obvious what you're up to.   However... never underestimate the stupidly or malicious intent of your audience.   

Pest control chaps employ signage increasingly, for example. 

• Supporters

I'm a guessing it's just a generic "detective" look he's going for, applicable worldwide as almost every other country bar the UK Arms its plod. 

The whole photoshoot scenario sounds like a load of walting crap, no good will come of it lol

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Parantodd said:

True,I was going for a life on Mars,ashes to ashes style look

Still not tooled up.

Yeah, scratch that. I assume you mean in a Gene Hunt big fuck off revolver way then? Do you have a Quattro or an old Cortina to go with it?

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Still not tooled up.

Yeah, scratch that. I assume you mean in a Gene Hunt big fuck off revolver way then? Do you have a Quattro or an old Cortina to go with it?

It’s a rover 600 so not quite the same but yeah that’s the idea

A8A71BBD-5F04-40E0-849E-FC16E000DD2A.jpeg

4 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I've done a fair bit of unauthorised filming with props including rifs, BUT using cameras that were shoulder held by members of a small film crew.  

If it's blindingly obvious what you are up to, then it's blindingly obvious what you're up to.   However... never underestimate the stupidly or malicious intent of your audience.   

Pest control chaps employ signage increasingly, for example. 

That's probably a good idea. A few signs with 'Filming in progress' or whatever. 

I have done this on both sides of the camera.   I have the perfect face for modelling work with a mask on

The ideal location is on a site, but even that can get people calling in about suspicious activity when the site is normally closed.

A remote location always becomes the most occupied public area as soon as you begin to do anything.

It won’t hurt to let the local police know what you are doing, and to put up some signs.

If you really are satisfied that it’s out of the way enough, that you will be quick and unobtrusive then you can just go ahead.  But I guarantee that ramblers, dogger, bird watchers and a music festival will all suddenly arrive as you pull out the pistol

Technically you're allowed to use an airsoft (or air) weapon on private land as long as projectiles don't cross the boundary.  (I know you won't be shooting anything)

BUT as mentioned, do not underestimate the stupidity of some dog walker reporting a hostage situation of a photographer etc.... 🙄

Edited by EDcase

15 hours ago, Parantodd said:

Hi there I wanted to know what I’d have to do in regards to using my airsoft pistol as a prop in some photos,do I have to notify anyone of what I’m doing or can I go ahead and use it as a prop

I would say that an Airsoft pistol as a prop is not really strong enough or shaped correctly.

Get some bricks and timber they are much better as props. I know cause I'm a builder and I would never use a pistol.👍

Edited by Shamal
Spellin

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Shamal said:

I would say that an Airsoft pistol as a prop is not really strong enough or shaped correctly.

Get some bricks and timber they are much better as props. I know cause I'm a builder and I would never use a pistol.👍

A Comedian masquerading as a builder 😜

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

A Comedian masquerading as a builder 😜

Have a look at some of my block work. That'll make you chuckle.😮

😂😂

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.