Recommendations - £600 Budget for AEG

Kieronwf

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just got back into Airsoft after a very Long break & i am looking to get a new RIF 

I am happy to spend up to £600 on the gun alone - so don't need to worry about Mags or Optics etc 

I am not fussed about Milsim so don't need my bolt to to stay open or want to run 30 round mags etc but i do think the idea of some recoil is quite cool, but not essential. 

Most importantly i want a gun that is Accurate, Reliable,  Has good range & a good Trigger response - Ideally out of the box so i don't have to f*** around upgrading Triggers etc. I am happy however to get some "Upgrades" if they are an option on a website and it arrives ready to use. 

I have been looking and i Like the Idea of going TM as its what i have always done but from what i have read need to spend money on these straight away to get these firing as well as some less expensive guns like the top of the range Specna, Krytac  Or VFC Avalon which have Mosfet out the box etc and whilst i am happy to Spend the £600 on gun alone if i can get what i need for cheaper i will happily do so as thats my Max 

Preference would be AR15 Style but would consider AK 

If you were spending £600 tomorrow what would you be buying and where would you be buying it from?

Appreciate your help on this one

P.S i do have a UKARA

Edited by Kieronwf

15 minutes ago, Kieronwf said:

... guns like the top of the range Specna, Krytac  Or VFC Avalon which have Mosfet out the box

For £600 I'd want more than a MOSFET, I'd expect a full on optical controller with cycle control and pre-cocking etc.

You could potentially spend say £300 on a platform you like and then it to Negative Airsoft for him to work his magic?

Hi @Kieronwfand welcome back👍

'accurate and reliable'.

Mmm not sure those two attributes go together well in Airsoft. But we keep trying lol.

enjoy your rebirth and hope you find what you are looking for(I feel a tune coming on)lol.

Have fun fella 🙂

regards 

33 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

For £600 I'd want more than a MOSFET, I'd expect a full on optical controller with cycle control and pre-cocking etc.

You could potentially spend say £300 on a platform you like and then it to Negative Airsoft for him to work his magic?

So to that point if you were to spend £300 what brand would you be going for I would obviously rather spend £300/400 but my max is £600.

I don't really want to send it to someone to have work done espeiclaly as they are all multiple months wait at the moment I want to get something now and start using it.

25 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Hi @Kieronwfand welcome back👍

'accurate and reliable'.

Mmm not sure those two attributes go together well in Airsoft. But we keep trying lol.

enjoy your rebirth and hope you find what you are looking for(I feel a tune coming on)lol.

Have fun fella 🙂

regards 

As Accurate and reliable as an RIF can be then 😂

No suggestions or preference on what you would be spending your money on?

Edited by Kieronwf

1 minute ago, Kieronwf said:

As Accurate and reliable as an RIF can be then 😂

No suggestions or preference on what you would be spending your money on?

Well to be honest I have specna,ares,g&g,we and tm and touch wood I've not had any major disasters with any of those brands.

To me it's a bit like tins of baked beans. Heinz, Tesco, Asda ect. They are all beans and all taste the same but the juice might be thicker and the price higher but they do what they are supposed to do and fill me up.lol.

Not much help to you but at the end of the day it's your choice.

But I am quite impressed with my specna e-05.

Good luck and happy hunting 👍

Let us know what you find🙂

Welcome back Kieron

For that kind of money look into the TM NGRS range.

Can't comment on the performance or if they benefit from any mods because I've never spent that much on a pew.

Personally I don't think its worth it...

As said by others, research SpecnaArms, CYMA and G&G which produce decent quality ones which are far cheaper. (They don't have recoil or hold on empty though)

Edited by EDcase

If you want an AK THIS is available, i built this for @alxndrhll.

It is a beauty inside and out, 65M range.

If you want an AR to be the best tool possible you really need a TM Recoil IMO.

It depends what you want from you gun straight out the box.

If you want a reliable accurate 55M gun then a stock Recoil will do it.

If you want more than that then you’ll need to upgrade any gun (other than a TM MWS), which takes time and money.

@Kieronwf where are you planning on gaming, do you prefer field or CQB?

3 hours ago, Kieronwf said:

Just got back into Airsoft after a very Long break & i am looking to get a new RIF 

I am happy to spend up to £600 on the gun alone - so don't need to worry about Mags or Optics etc 

I am not fussed about Milsim so don't need my bolt to to stay open or want to run 30 round mags etc but i do think the idea of some recoil is quite cool, but not essential. 

Most importantly i want a gun that is Accurate, Reliable,  Has good range & a good Trigger response - Ideally out of the box so i don't have to f*** around upgrading Triggers etc. I am happy however to get some "Upgrades" if they are an option on a website and it arrives ready to use. 

I have been looking and i Like the Idea of going TM as its what i have always done but from what i have read need to spend money on these straight away to get these firing as well as some less expensive guns like the top of the range Specna, Krytac  Or VFC Avalon which have Mosfet out the box etc and whilst i am happy to Spend the £600 on gun alone if i can get what i need for cheaper i will happily do so as thats my Max 

Preference would be AR15 Style but would consider AK 

If you were spending £600 tomorrow what would you be buying and where would you be buying it from?

Appreciate your help on this one

P.S i do have a UKARA

I'd would never spend that amount of money on anything especially not on an AEG. Just imagine you buy a freaking expensive rif and let's say you get bored after 3 months. Amount of money you are gonna lose due selling it's gonna be hundreds of pounds, probably. Expensive guns can be still crap or pretty general internally. What do I mean? You spend 350-400 pound on brand new Krytac/VFC for example and you get a 18:1 gear set and an utter garbage motor which doesn't have either speed nor torque. I'm not saying these expensive brands are necessarily bad (I've got an Avalon Calibur and I love it to bits) but sometimes I feel these manufacturers spend more on marketing than manufacturing a good value gun and trying to get away with the shittiest/cheapest internals/externals if possible.

"If you were spending £600 tomorrow what would you be buying and where would you be buying it from?"

I'd think what kind of platform I fancy first check classifieds here for a good deal and if no luck then do a bit more research into the guns I prefer. CQB vs. outdoor the other very important thing. You don't need extreme amount of FPS or range if you shoot people within 15-20m distance. Outdoor on the other hand... :D

Edited by Krisz

TM NGRS.

Have a look at their 416, m4 and mk18 if you like AR style platform. 

No need to upgrade until something breaks.

Yeh that’s what I was trying to get from him, what you need the gun to do realistically.

Dont know if this is still available but this is the sort of thing you’d want KoA 416 if you are gaming long distance assault role.

Edited by Davegolf

51 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

If you want an AK THIS is available, i built this for @alxndrhll.

It is a beauty inside and out, 65M range.

If you want an AR to be the best tool possible you really need a TM Recoil IMO.

It depends what you want from you gun straight out the box.

If you want a reliable accurate 55M gun then a stock Recoil will do it.

If you want more than that then you’ll need to upgrade any gun (other than a TM MWS), which takes time and money.

@Kieronwf where are you planning on gaming, do you prefer field or CQB?

Thanks for the advise and answering my question :)

Il Be playing both woodland and CQB so don't want to go to far down any specific route happy to have a bit of a jack of all.

I guess I need to go fire TM recoil to see how it feels. Considering I previously was using a 15YO TM which was fine I'm guessing it will be a big improvement.

45 minutes ago, Krisz said:

I'd would never spend that amount of money on anything especially not on an AEG. Just imagine you buy a freaking expensive rif and let's say you get bored after 3 months. Amount of money you are gonna lose due selling it's gonna be hundreds of pounds, probably. Expensive guns can be still crap or pretty general internally. What do I mean? You spend 350-400 pound on brand new Krytac/VFC for example and you get a 18:1 gear set and an utter garbage motor which doesn't have either speed nor torque. I'm not saying these expensive brands are necessarily bad (I've got an Avalon Calibur and I love it to bits) but sometimes I feel these manufacturers spend more on marketing than manufacturing a good value gun and trying to get away with the shittiest/cheapest internals/externals if possible.

"If you were spending £600 tomorrow what would you be buying and where would you be buying it from?"

I'd think what kind of platform I fancy first check classifieds here for a good deal and if no luck then do a bit more research into the guns I prefer. CQB vs. outdoor the other very important thing. You don't need extreme amount of FPS or range if you shoot people within 15-20m distance. Outdoor on the other hand... :D

Not to worried about the second hand value as not planning on selling the gun anytime soon and I am prepared to spend the amount I suggested in my post but also happy to spend less.

Was hoping for some gun recommendations not financial advise 😂😂

44 minutes ago, THE FNG said:

TM NGRS.

Have a look at their 416, m4 and mk18 if you like AR style platform. 

No need to upgrade until something breaks.

I have had my eye on a 416, have previous history with TM,they are reputable and I do think the idea of the recoil system as it's a bit of fun.

I guess my concern was around reading some people saying you need to do trigger etc straight away etc and that there are other "Better" guns for less money 💰

@Kieronwf there is absolutely nothing wrong with a bone stock M4 or 416 Recoil.

55M is not to be sniffed at.

What you are getting with a Recoil is;

- Recoil obv

- TM reliability

- The best AEG hop unit ever (M4/416/Scar)

- Firing stop on empty

- Great build quality

You will want to run it on 7.4 LiPo - simple

From there run it and see how you get on.

Easy external mods are;

Prommy 6.03 barrel - fps increase

Super Nub/Omega with 0.25 BBs

After that it gets silly but good.

I wouldn't bother about recoil tbh.  I have used them, but stopped noticing the effect as soon as gameplay began.  

If I was spending £600 tomorrow and wanted reliability, performance and durability, I'd get a non-recoil, non-ETU G&G M4.  A decent barrel, rotary hop and rubber/nub swap is a ten minute job.  Plug and play Burst Wizard 4 mosfet and away you go.  A high torque motor is another five minute job, and difficult to fuck up, if you really want to go to town.

Rifs have come on so much that over £150 price and quality have less and less of a relationship.  I was amazed at how well my CYMA M14 shot out of the box.  It was less than £100  from TG a few years ago.   

All that said TMs are bloody lovely.

You have a lot of choice atm IF you can find something that you really like in stock.  

I'd buy a reasonably well reviewed gun I liked the look of for around £300-£400, and as needed I would: put a zci hop, maple leaf bucking+nub, stabilise the barrel, reshim (yourself or a tech), deans the connector, and slap a warhead in that bad boy. Maybe a perun ab++ if I'm feeling spicy, though you don't really need it with the warhead unless you want burst fire. 

It means you can be a little bit platform neutral. 

2 hours ago, Kieronwf said:

Thanks for the advise and answering my question :)

Il Be playing both woodland and CQB so don't want to go to far down any specific route happy to have a bit of a jack of all.

I guess I need to go fire TM recoil to see how it feels. Considering I previously was using a 15YO TM which was fine I'm guessing it will be a big improvement.

Not to worried about the second hand value as not planning on selling the gun anytime soon and I am prepared to spend the amount I suggested in my post but also happy to spend less.

Was hoping for some gun recommendations not financial advise 😂😂

I have had my eye on a 416, have previous history with TM,they are reputable and I do think the idea of the recoil system as it's a bit of fun.

I guess my concern was around reading some people saying you need to do trigger etc straight away etc and that there are other "Better" guns for less money 💰

If you play indoor and outdoor variable fps definitely could help you out in the long term. Some aeg is capable of that like some KWA models for example. NPAS does the same in gas powered guns if I'm not mistaken.

Spending 600 pounds on a gun is totally pointless in my opinion because you can buy a budget but well built stock gun and change internals for your taste or give it to someone to tune it. You said ar15 or ak that's very vague because there are a few thousand different M4's and AK's on the market and most of them do the same job but look different.

Out of box gun would be a Double Eagle M904 if you like honey badger style or some kind if Arcturus if you're into AK's. ASG Scorpion Evo is a very decent gun, too. So many good guns are out there it's impossible to list all of them.

If you're into GBBR/HPA 600 pounds is like pocket change especially if you buy everything brand new.

Edited by Krisz

I'd suggest one of two avenues to approach this. 

The "out of the box" approach:
Get a TM NGRS. They fire great out of the box, recoil is present (though it's nothing to write home about. Get a GBBR if you want a bit more kick and impracticality) and it stops shooting when your mag is empty which is a nice little addition. Shove a 7.4v lipo in and run .25s or .28s in it and you'll love life. Maybe put a maple leaf hop rubber and omega nub in at a later date if you're feeling spicy

The "I'm going to tinker" approach:
Get a Cyma AK, m14 or mp5 (or whoever does a good m4 if you like AR15s, idk). Get a 60 or 70 degree maple leaf macaron rubber, an omega nub and a 6.03 prommy or a ZCI barrel. Spend the rest of the money on blackjack and hookers because that'll probably come to only around £200ish and the upgrades are easy to install. I never open AEG gearboxes (outside of stripping them entirely and shoving an HPA engine inside) because all the gears and stuff is techno-sorcery, but barrels and hops are incredibly easy to change out.

7 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I wouldn't bother about recoil tbh.  I have used them, but stopped noticing the effect as soon as gameplay began.  

If I was spending £600 tomorrow and wanted reliability, performance and durability, I'd get a non-recoil, non-ETU G&G M4.  A decent barrel, rotary hop and rubber/nub swap is a ten minute job.  Plug and play Burst Wizard 4 mosfet and away you go.  A high torque motor is another five minute job, and difficult to fuck up, if you really want to go to town.

Rifs have come on so much that over £150 price and quality have less and less of a relationship.  I was amazed at how well my CYMA M14 shot out of the box.  It was less than £100  from TG a few years ago.   

All that said TMs are bloody lovely.

You have a lot of choice atm IF you can find something that you really like in stock.  

This is really my concern as i like the thought of it and its "Cool" but as you say will it make a single difference when i play. Does all this additional functionality add weight to the gun etc as would much rather a lighter gun as an example. But they do look really nice, and build quality will be good but is it worth the 2/300 extra for those features and TM name? 

As you say RIF's are so good now that £300 should buy you something really decent and ready to play which leaves room for some easy upgrades 

5 hours ago, WarriorTed said:

For this price anything is possible. I have a few higher end pews but I would recommend the ASG scorpion evo... or the NGRS (m4 beats out the aks and the scars imo).

100% Agree would never find me with a SCAR, i do like an AK though 

6 hours ago, Impulse said:

I'd suggest one of two avenues to approach this. 

The "out of the box" approach:
Get a TM NGRS. They fire great out of the box, recoil is present (though it's nothing to write home about. Get a GBBR if you want a bit more kick and impracticality) and it stops shooting when your mag is empty which is a nice little addition. Shove a 7.4v lipo in and run .25s or .28s in it and you'll love life. Maybe put a maple leaf hop rubber and omega nub in at a later date if you're feeling spicy

The "I'm going to tinker" approach:
Get a Cyma AK, m14 or mp5 (or whoever does a good m4 if you like AR15s, idk). Get a 60 or 70 degree maple leaf macaron rubber, an omega nub and a 6.03 prommy or a ZCI barrel. Spend the rest of the money on blackjack and hookers because that'll probably come to only around £200ish and the upgrades are easy to install. I never open AEG gearboxes (outside of stripping them entirely and shoving an HPA engine inside) because all the gears and stuff is techno-sorcery, but barrels and hops are incredibly easy to change out.

Yea there are a few common themes appearing which is really useful - Go TM or Buy Cheaper and upgrade! 

I think i do need to have a look at a few upgrades as like you say as splitting the receiver and swapping out some plug and Play parts is no drama but i don't want to get involved in any wiring or gearbox stuff 

7 hours ago, Badgerlicious said:

I'd buy a reasonably well reviewed gun I liked the look of for around £300-£400, and as needed I would: put a zci hop, maple leaf bucking+nub, stabilise the barrel, reshim (yourself or a tech), deans the connector, and slap a warhead in that bad boy. Maybe a perun ab++ if I'm feeling spicy, though you don't really need it with the warhead unless you want burst fire. 

It means you can be a little bit platform neutral. 

Getting to the Well reviewed gun at £300-£400 was where i was trying to get to on here. What would you buy in this price range?

7 hours ago, Davegolf said:

@Kieronwf there is absolutely nothing wrong with a bone stock M4 or 416 Recoil.

55M is not to be sniffed at.

What you are getting with a Recoil is;

- Recoil obv

- TM reliability

- The best AEG hop unit ever (M4/416/Scar)

- Firing stop on empty

- Great build quality

You will want to run it on 7.4 LiPo - simple

From there run it and see how you get on.

Easy external mods are;

Prommy 6.03 barrel - fps increase

Super Nub/Omega with 0.25 BBs

After that it gets silly but good.

My concerns are around the trigger response and the issues with the bolt locking back in single fire mode which i have seen happen in quite a few videos online. 

Its great having that recoil but if the system impacts the ability to play then that's where it will fall down for me but i think this can be overcome with a mod

Firing stop on empty makes a big difference IMO, firstly you don’t give away the fact you’ve run dry to everyone attacking you, secondly it’s so much more immersive when you change mag and hit the bolt release.

Personally I’m not a fan of electric ’recoil’ only because I like full stealth so the extra noise I don’t like.

Really a NGRS is the best OOTB.

Seriously no other AEG can shoot as straight and true from the box.

The hop unit and related parts are the best in the business, yes you can get other airsoft guns to perform the same but it takes A LOT of effort.

If you’re not buying an NGRS then I really don’t see you getting any better value past the £300 mark.

All you’re getting is box ticking with usually sub standard bells and whistles.

Sub £300 I would look at these as base guns, owing to great externals and build with easy upgrade;

E&L AK105/SU

ARCTURUS GR16

ASG Scorpion EVO

These have the quality to match the TM and with work have the same performance ceiling.

The Scorpion is a little over 300, but you get bolt-lock-on-empty and 3rd burst.

RE NGRS trigger lock up, this is a rarity and is caused by the user…

It happens because the trigger is not being fully depressed for the full cycle / spammed faster than the gun is capable of.

If you get an NGRS you hands down will love a Gate Titan or BTC Spectre in it, they are one of the best upgrades to any airsoft gun TBH.

Also just noticed the AK12 is available from E&L now 😍

Edited by Davegolf

4 hours ago, Kieronwf said:

This is really my concern as i like the thought of it and its "Cool" but as you say will it make a single difference when i play.

People here now and again post the most relevant comment / meme, that what we're running around with is just a toy, and really that £600 toy won't do much at all that the £300 one won't, and it certainly won't turn a novice into John Wick 😆

I'd be buying a "good" rifle and spending the remaining £300 on giving myself a competitive over everyone else. For example on my AEG I've just moved from 0.25g to 0.28g along with a good inner barrel supporting an ML MR bucking, that extra 8 to 10 meters of accuracy can hold off others quite easily, when running it I put onto it my DMR's flip to side 3x magnifier and can spot approaches and pick people off. You say some of your time is in woodland, so maybe spend some of the money on great camouflage? (I desperately wish I had the money for one of these... https://sc-ghillie.pl/en/shop/produkt/nextgen-viper-hood-long-sleeve/ )

• Supporters

First and for most welcome back ! 2nd who ever is telling you you ‘must’ upgrade a TM recoil is talking out of their arse plain and simple . Only thing you ‘need’ to do is get a deans connector on it(only reason I say deans is it’s the standard connector up-grade most use)instead of the Neolithic Tamiya that’s on it . I 100% believe you don’t need to change a thing in them to be more effective , it’s you that needs the changes not the gun . if your bimbling around the field totally oblivious to your surroundings as 75% of players seem to be then I don’t care how far you guns shoots it won’t help you ‘up your game’ , get your field craft sorted and I guarantee you’ll be racking up the kills . Plus for the negative effect on the longevity of the guns life and the increase in range I just don’t think it’s worth it , I don’t care who’s worked on it the minute you start ‘up-grading’ you’ve just put a best before date on your gun and started a countdown timer for it to implode . If you frequent the tech sections of any online airsoft group you’ll see it’s full of players asking problems with their ‘upgraded’ TM recoil AND frequently their the same players who you’d seen telling every man and his dog about his new laser blaster that’ll take the wings of a fly at 65mtres not a few wks ago . TM’s are made to VERY precise tolerances aimed at the Japanese market and once you start replacing bits you’ve messed up that balance and you’ve just boarded the train to ‘dead gunsville’ wether you like it or not .

And when I get told I’m wrong ? I just get out my my 12-13yr old stock TM Socom and my 10-11yr old AK74su and ask them to show me their upgraded ones of that age ? 

• Head Moderator

I an owner and fan of TM, so with your budget I would recommend that you get a TM recoil.   I bought one for my first gun, had the Deans mod for LiPo battery, and left it stock.  Great out of the box with no messing around to "upgrade".  I was happy with that choice, and I see no reason to get a cheap gun if you do not have to.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.