What Have You Learned About Airsoft Recently?

Cr0-Magnon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I stopped playing for around 5 years. Got back into it around March.

HPA.

HPA everywhere. Up until Sunday when I played Camp Sparta I had no issues with it, other then the occasionally pen-arse showing off there silly ROF while the marshal is doing the game brief. Thankfully, didn't happen to me but to my friend who is just getting into the hobby/sport/money-pit. Camp Sparta is a single shot site everywhere, but someone was hiding, proceeded just to let a flurry of around 7-10 shots off, all hitting the mark from no more then 10-15M away. 

I've been reading about the stereotype HPA w*nkers on here but was yet to fully see it in the flesh.

Completely uncalled for, all into his back too.

3 minutes ago, Just Joe said:

I stopped playing for around 5 years. Got back into it around March.

HPA.

HPA everywhere. Up until Sunday when I played Camp Sparta I had no issues with it, other then the occasionally pen-arse showing off there silly ROF while the marshal is doing the game brief. Thankfully, didn't happen to me but to my friend who is just getting into the hobby/sport/money-pit. Camp Sparta is a single shot site everywhere, but someone was hiding, proceeded just to let a flurry of around 7-10 shots off, all hitting the mark from no more then 10-15M away. 

I've been reading about the stereotype HPA w*nkers on here but was yet to fully see it in the flesh.

Completely uncalled for, all into his back too.

Ahh, another cyclic topic by way of a change. It's nothing to do with the fact it's HPA, an AEG is entirely capable of that sort of overkill. The person using it is the problem, not the tool (though the person using it is evidently a tool, so that's fun). You're just leaning into a self fulfilling prophecy by assuming they're a wanker because they're using HPA, when infact, they're just a wanker.

In terms of answering the question:

• That A2 carry handle receivers are a pain to find
  • That TekLoks (or TekLok equivalents) are amazing in comparison to MOLLE if you switch your belt around a decent amount
  • That ditching any sort of 'theme' to your kit and running what works for you (in my case currently jeans, t-shirt, softshell if I need it and whatever load bearing kit works for what I'm using) gives you so much freedom, which likely sounds really obvious but 🤷‍♂️

HPA 

Learned it’s awesome and a far more consistent way of running my GBB’s.

I was showing off my mental ROF recently. I can get about 1 round per second with my KC-02 ;) and with a 31rd magazine, that’s 31 seconds of fire power.

Seriously though. Gas blow back is the way forwards and air is the way to power it

5 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

Ahh, another cyclic topic by way of a change. It's nothing to do with the fact it's HPA, an AEG is entirely capable of that sort of overkill. The person using it is the problem, not the tool (though the person using it is evidently a tool, so that's fun). You're just leaning into a self fulfilling prophecy by assuming they're a wanker because they're using HPA, when infact, they're just a wanker.

All in all, I've probably had more 'negative' experiences with none HPA users since coming back then HPA users. You're very much correct, its about the person on the other end. 

Was just stating I hadn't met the stereotypical HPA user before. 

Despite loving Light Machine Guns and other long rifles my L86 lsw seriously disappointed me and I used the newly bought backup CYMA MP5 I brought with me, took off my helmet and replaced it with headphones, emptied most of the junk in my webbing into my Bergen and went out for the second half.

For the first time in my short airsoft history I got a kill, three or more due to less weighty magazines and a smaller, easier to handle gun.

Thus I plan to get a Scorpion Evo and see how that does for me.

Edited by scorpssells

Just now, Just Joe said:

HPA.

HPA everywhere.

I think I'll also echo this, but also as a recent HPA convert. I stopped playing about 6 - 7 years ago after I left university, but got back into the hobby 2 years ago. HPA wasn't really a thing back in the early 2010s, but now it's everywhere. However, I have also learned to love it myself. I converted my VSR to HPA and never looked back. The effortless bolt pull, the silence of having no moving parts in the firing mechanism and the silly levels of consistency are all priceless and I just don't find myself using my spring VSR ever. I don't think I'll ever fit the bill of a stereotypical HPA full auto idiot (they exist in the AEG variety too!) though, since it's hard to get silly ROF out of a boltie ;)

I'll also add another thing I learned recently: I don't like milsim. Gave it a shot two weeks ago and had fun, but I don't think I'd repeat the experience. It's total pay-to-win at night time, because the guy who spends thousands of £s on NVGs will just win against the guy who can't afford to do the same. Yes, people will say "but you can see the illuminator" and that's how I did hit someone while being otherwise blind, or "pop smoke to screw with it", but seeing a red dot in the darkness is very different to seeing everything plainly and smoke doesn't solve the issue as then nobody can see anyone and firing blindly can be dangerous. Also, I don't really like the whole idea of being told exactly what to do. I'd much rather be given an objective of "we need intel on X, and if you see Y they are a target of opportunity" then be left to my own devices on how to accomplish it, rather than being given strict orders on "we need you to go and do A". Also, I didn't really get an opportunity to use my boltie at all (which made me sad :(), as most squad-based tasks were ill-suited to it, so I basically played the whole event with my secondary (stock cyma mp5k) and sidearm (upgraded TM mk23).

And the most recent thing: I've learned that carrying a small, lightweight AEG at the same time as the VSR is a game changer. I may go back to just the VSR and mk23 for some games, as I just like pistols and like excuses to use mine, but carrying a small mp5k alongside the VSR has been super easy and super useful; having full auto for tight situations and allowing me to push aggressively when my team is inevitably all hiding behind a barricade, shooting at enemies far out of their range as airsofters are wont to do has been really nice. The mp5k + spare mags are really lightweight and I just unclip it from the sling and put it to one side when I get into a position where I'm lying prone with the VSR.

You learn something new every day :D

• Supporters
39 minutes ago, Just Joe said:

Was just stating I hadn't met the stereotypical HPA user before. 

sadly that stereotype does exist for a reason, ironically the best game i ever played was with a big team of guys who rocked up all with hpa kit, even as an hpa user myself i saw those airlines and thought "ohhhh shit.....", needless to say i was happy to have my predictions overturned.

to answer the main question i recently realized how handy an ak fire selector that doesn't need to be reset to safe before switching from semi to auto is.

I have learned that GBBs aren't that bad to work on :)

Also that most of my guns have a "semi automatic" position on their selector switches 😕

8 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

sadly that stereotype does exist for a reason, ironically the best game i ever played was with a big team of guys who rocked up all with hpa kit, even as an hpa user myself i saw those airlines and thought "ohhhh shit.....", needless to say i was happy to have my predictions overturned.

After having researched a little bit on it in the last month I really do see the appeal. To me its the silence they operate with. 

The idea of HPA taping my m14 and turning it into a dmr appeals to me.

Just a bit outlay on cost!

• Supporters
1 hour ago, alxndrhll said:

With love,

j1-gif.153510

I've learned that the only way to deal with toxic, pugnacious people is segregation.

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Just Joe said:

After having researched a little bit on it in the last month I really do see the appeal. To me its the silence they operate with. 

The idea of HPA taping my m14 and turning it into a dmr appeals to me.

Just a bit outlay on cost!

hpa tapping a gbbr isn't going to make it quieter thanks to all that action noise, unless we're confusing terms.

a solenoid engine with a nice foam can on it though, that can be very quiet and ideal for a dmr, at least if you don't mind the paraphernalia that goes with it.

Just now, Adolf Hamster said:

hpa tapping a gbbr isn't going to make it quieter thanks to all that action noise, unless we're confusing terms.

a solenoid engine with a nice foam can on it though, that can be very quiet and ideal for a dmr, at least if you don't mind the paraphernalia that goes with it.

Its an cyma M14.

I just wouldn't know where to start (I think i've read your guide briefly).

I've just never teched on guns. I've tried and run out of patience.

1 hour ago, scorpssells said:

Despite loving Light Machine Guns and other long rifles my L86 lsw seriously disappointed me and I used the newly bought backup CYMA MP5 I brought with me, took off my helmet and replaced it with headphones, emptied most of the junk in my webbing into my Bergen and went out for the second half.

For the first time in my short airsoft history I got a kill, three or more due to less weighty magazines and a smaller, easier to handle gun.

Thus I plan to get a Scorpion Evo and see how that does for me.

Totally this. Most of my collection is SMG's (incl' 2 x Evo's).

I don't have a range finder but I know for a fact that a stock Evo outranges many much longer AEG's. I also love folding the stock and throwing it behind me on the two point sling, enabling me to freely use my pistol.

37 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Totally this. Most of my collection is SMG's (incl' 2 x Evo's).

I don't have a range finder but I know for a fact that a stock Evo outranges many much longer AEG's. I also love folding the stock and throwing it behind me on the two point sling, enabling me to freely use my pistol.

Think I'll become an SMG Afficionado.

I highly reccoment 3 point slings even if its not the norm for the scorpion. You can hold the gun very tight to the chest when booking it and then release the buckle allowing effortless shouldering. Both my mp5 and l86 had them to great effect.

Turn out that I just learned that somehow in 2021 folks are still using, and more worryingly recommending, 3 point slings.

Get a 2 point with a quick adjustment tab (Slingster, Trex Arms, Vickers to name a few… I imagine there are clones too if you care to run that gauntlet) and enjoy the aforementioned benefits without any of the draw backs that come with a 3 point.

I can think of only one time that it might be worth considering a 3 point and that if you’re hellbent on wanting an MP5 that’s correct to certain time periods. In this instance they’re still overly complicated piles of tangle wank, but at least ‘the look’ is right I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Edited by alxndrhll

1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

In fairness a 3 point works well on an f2000

I mean thats not a long list, mostly because almost everything has something on the left side of the gun that they interfere with.

An F2000 is bad enough as it is, combined with a 3 point sling that’s a borderline war crime.

Ah yes the F2000, my favourite Jet ski shaped weapon!

I've learnt, or rather just had the point reinforced that people just love to moan. (The irony)

Much like the comments about HPA users, the daggers I receive when I'm rocking my MTW and KMCS is hilarious! 

Screenshot_20210605-220625__01.thumb.jpg.b2af2027e100c3011e7633c3c49825a2.jpg

Someone catches a head shot and dosn't see where it came from? "Probably that cunt in a ghillie" Someone gets over killed but dosn't see where it came from? "Probably that HPA Ghillie cunt". Totally disregard the fact that I'm on their side and hiding a few feet away from them 😂

I like to combat this with extreme politeness and asking how their day is going! 😂

• Supporters
2 hours ago, alxndrhll said:

Turn out that I just learned that somehow in 2021 folks are still using, and more worryingly recommending, 3 point slings.

Get a 2 point with a quick adjustment tab (Slingster, Trex Arms, Vickers to name a few… I imagine there are clones too if you care to run that gauntlet) and enjoy the aforementioned benefits without any of the draw backs that come with a 3 point.

I can think of only one time that it might be worth considering a 3 point and that if you’re hellbent on wanting an MP5 that’s correct to certain time periods. In this instance they’re still overly complicated piles of tangle wank, but at least ‘the look’ is right I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️.

That’s the funny thing about personal choice , it’s your own choice ? 
everyone raves about EVO’s , me personally I wouldn’t piss on one if it was on fire absolutely detest the things . I’ve never owned one , never fired one matter of fact I’ve never even handle one but I still detest them . Simple personal choice , same as on a long gun M16/G3 I think a three point is the perfect sling to use . 😉

• Supporters
1 hour ago, alxndrhll said:

An F2000 is bad enough as it is, combined with a 3 point sling that’s a borderline war crime.

Its a fine weapon.....

As long as you're ok with a trigger from a black and decker......

1 hour ago, leadly said:

Ah yes the F2000, my favourite Jet ski shaped weapon!

😂

😂

I preferr tactical tuna myself :P

Also deleting smilies from a quote on mobile is basically impossible so, yeah, there's that.....

1 hour ago, leadly said:

Totally disregard the fact that I'm on their side and hiding a few feet away from them

If you've got the drop on them from a few feet and you're aiming for headshots might be part of the reason folk are getting annoyed, jus' puttin it out there.

22 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

That’s the funny thing about personal choice , it’s your own choice ? 
everyone raves about EVO’s , me personally I wouldn’t piss on one if it was on fire absolutely detest the things . I’ve never owned one , never fired one matter of fact I’ve never even handle one but I still detest them . Simple personal choice , same as on a long gun M16/G3 I think a three point is the perfect sling to use . 😉

The evo got a lot of bad rep by a certain type of user sure (just like a lot of airsoft stuff) but in fairness it is pretty damn good and one of the few guns even a serial tinkerer like me would reccommend be left alone.

If I was to sum up my feelings on 3 point slings in one image:

image.gif.3bf140c7538d50610658eea0c2fcc915.gif

And just to be clear I only raised my own opinion because it was given as a recommendation when the person making the recommendation hasn’t actually got experience with the thing they’re recommending i.e. combining a 3 point sling and an EVO. I wouldn’t usually be so pernickety but as others have highlighted they’re better on some RIFs than others because of how they get in the way of controls… especially on a RIF with a ‘bolt release’ of sorts.

There are literally forum rules regarding giving advice in this regard (yes, I’m aware I’m the only person that actually reads them).

Edited by alxndrhll

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

The evo got a lot of bad rep by a certain type of user sure (just like a lot of airsoft stuff) but in fairness it is pretty damn good and one of the few guns even a serial tinkerer like me would reccommend be left alone.

My point exactly my good friend , I’ve only ever heard good things about them and everyone I know who has one gets a semi boner every time they speak of them BUT I still think there a big fat lump of smegma from the devils foreskin ! I just hate them simple as that .😁

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

If I was to sum up my feelings on 3 point slings in one image

Thats a gif :P

10 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

My point exactly my good friend , I’ve only ever heard good things about them and everyone I know who has one gets a semi boner every time they speak of them BUT I still think there a big fat lump of smegma from the devils foreskin ! I just hate them simple as that .😁

i get it man, we all got guns we hate for no particular reason.

Like how i hate ar stocks on non-ar's (ak's being most prevalent but not exclusive victim). I understand how it came to be, and why people do it, but i still just hate it.

hmm, that could be an interesting thread.....

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.