What Have You Learned About Airsoft Recently?

Cr0-Magnon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

@Adolf Hamster

"If you've got the drop on them from a few feet and you're aiming for headshots might be part of the reason folk are getting annoyed, jus' puttin it out there" 

I think you've missed my point slightly mate. I was being blamed by my own team for something that had nothing to do with me!

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

And on that note of an officially entirely detailed thread, I’ll go ahead and disappear

Oh aye, bail right before we have to put the effort in to re-rail the thread :P

18 minutes ago, leadly said:

@Adolf Hamster

"If you've got the drop on them from a few feet and you're aiming for headshots might be part of the reason folk are getting annoyed, jus' puttin it out there" 

I think you've missed my point slightly mate. I was being blamed by my own team for something that had nothing to do with me!

ahh, fair enough, my apologies.

Being new to this I’ve learnt that there’s a minefield of acronyms I need to get my head around before I even think about buying anything - starting to wonder if that’s what the UKARA rules are really for 🤔

I’ve also discovered there’s more midweek games around than I initially thought. Not tried CQB but it’ll make life easier if I do as weekends are fast becoming a logistical nightmare.

Oh and I like Beretta’s, specifically the M9 A3. No idea if they’re any good. Still navigating the sea of rifles ……. 

• Supporters
51 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

333484F2-2FD3-447F-8D93-3D9C06CFE451.thumb.jpeg.42e2a81ce6d97fb83b8e85c48909f9a3.jpeg

👀

And on that note of an officially entirely detailed thread, I’ll go ahead and disappear.

7C9366B0-66AF-43C1-B87A-8FD7F0035A88.jpeg🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I find a 3 point sling very versatile and usable... as long as I have literally no other tactical kit on me for it to get caught on. It's worst with plate carriers. 

As for what I've learned, probably that there are ways for me to enjoy airsoft without getting to a game. I've not been playing for over 3 years now due to a mix of health, money and personal reasons which has been incredibly frustrating. Luckily I found 3d design work for my guns to be very helpful easing the pain of not playing. So I can look forward to taking out some very impressive and unique guns when I do eventually get to a game. 

Edited by PopRocket123

@Cr0-Magnon mine are very similar to yours, well the first two

1) mid-caps are the way forward

2) comfort over (uni)form

There was a three when i started but after a long arse day its gone

• Supporters
1 hour ago, PopRocket123 said:

I've not been playing for over 3 years now due to a mix of health, money and personal reasons

Is it the queer beard😜

Sorry, my generation can't help themselves, dragged up on a diet of innuendo & sarcasm🤡

6 hours ago, alxndrhll said:

Turn out that I just learned that somehow in 2021 folks are still using, and more worryingly recommending, 3 point slings.

Get a 2 point with a quick adjustment tab (Slingster, Trex Arms, Vickers to name a few… I imagine there are clones too if you care to run that gauntlet) and enjoy the aforementioned benefits without any of the draw backs that come with a 3 point.

I can think of only one time that it might be worth considering a 3 point and that if you’re hellbent on wanting an MP5 that’s correct to certain time periods. In this instance they’re still overly complicated piles of tangle wank, but at least ‘the look’ is right I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Yes, I do. I've had only problems with 2 points. 1 points are great on the mp5k etc.

Ran it on the m4 first, great easy to adjust never got in the way.

Then the mp5 for obvious reasons same thing, easy to maneuver no catches.

The l86 with controls all along the side same thing no problem only enjoyment.

Admittedly however the evo might be a bit too short from sling point to sling point thinking about it. (Such a lack of distance makes them useless anyway)

In the end, just use whatever works for you! In my case 3 point slings.

5 hours ago, scorpssells said:

Admittedly however the evo might be a bit too short from sling point to sling point thinking about it. (Such a lack of distance makes them useless anyway)

This has turned in to "which sling setup are you using at the moment?"

But "lack of distance" for an Evo 🤔

I have a stock one and there's a stretch of field at my local site where I can max out the range from a particular line, hitting some black netting without really "lobbing" the BB's. So I am tempted to pickup a range finder and check the distance.

8 hours ago, Tackle said:

Is it the queer beard😜

Sorry, my generation can't help themselves, dragged up on a diet of innuendo & sarcasm🤡

A serious lapse in judgement made me shave off the tactical beard meaning I couldn't be seen in any of my kit until it has grown back to a respectable length 😂

1 minute ago, PopRocket123 said:

A serious lapse in judgement made me shave off the tactical beard meaning I couldn't be seen in any of my kit until it has grown back to a respectable length 😂

Welp you're not alone.

Whenever I shave people ask for my ID when buying smokes -.-

I look like a 12yo without beard -.-

Here is what ive picked up from the games so far this year.

I like sites having under 18's days. not because of the really young 12 year old players (TBH they are always so happy to play with) but its the older teenagers who think overshooting people is funny and purposefully being destructive to purpose built structures. 

Mil-Sim games. Thats a big nope from me, the day becomes so slow paced and feels more like im feeding into a guys ego more than playing a game.

and final thing I've learnt.....More people need to know how to do basic tech work on their guns. Last game I went to 2 dudes went to the stall to buy new guns as the ones they arrived with were too hot. One dude quit after an hour because of gun issues (looked like hop rubber was fucked as BB just fell out) and a dude whos buffer tube was wobbling and he decided to break it off instead of just using a damn screwdriver to tighten it up.

Just now, SheriffHD said:

and final thing I've learnt.....More people need to know how to do basic tech work on their guns. Last game I went to 2 dudes went to the stall to buy new guns as the ones they arrived with were too hot. One dude quit after an hour because of gun issues (looked like hop rubber was fucked as BB just fell out) and a dude whos buffer tube was wobbling and he decided to break it off instead of just using a damn screwdriver to tighten it up.

Yep. I'll always advocate for doing basic maintenance, tune-ups and simple upgrades yourself. It allows you to notice when something is wrong with your gun and immediately have ideas on what's wrong and how to fix it.

• Supporters
35 minutes ago, SheriffHD said:

BUT playing devils advocate the hot guns ? that’s the fault of the retailer who sold the guns to them in the first place not the players for lack of technical knowledge , really pisses me off the way British airsoft retailers are STILL sell guns you can’t use because there too hot or charge you to make it legal to use . You don’t go in to PC world to buy a new TV and expect to find an American plug on it , to then be told by the shop “oh thats not ours problem we just sell them , if you want to watch it you need to change the plug your self or we’ll do it for you and charge you 30quid !” Would you ?
Plus the minute you do crack it to change the spring your warranty is gone and the very same retailer who sold you a gun you had to alter your self to use will turn around and say “the gun stopped working ? Nope we won’t do anything about it you opened it up so you voided the warranty !” 
The hop rubber again if it’s a new gun retailer should have tested it first before selling it . I’ve never had to change a hop rubber because it was faulty only time I’ve changed them is for a better one or it’s a 2nd hand gun and previous owner been ‘fiddling’ and bollox’ed it up .

Buffer tube ? Just sounds like a spoilt bastard ! 😂
PS you don’t use as screwdriver to tighten a buffer tube .😇

23 minutes ago, Impulse said:

Yep. I'll always advocate for doing basic maintenance, tune-ups and simple upgrades yourself. It allows you to notice when something is wrong with your gun and immediately have ideas on what's wrong and how to fix it.

Every game I go to I take poundland tool set (you know the stubby handle with like 30magnetic bits everything you need to take a rifle apart) and a long screw driver and hex keys it all fits in the front pouch of my gun bag and I'll bring spares too like old hop rubbers and nubs that ive replaced and kept as a back up as id rather be back in the game then have to call it quits. Understandable when you first start off you won thave much but it'll save you so much hastle and agro just by knowing that you can quickily resolve an issue should it arrise.

• Supporters

Error

1 minute ago, Druid799 said:

PS you don’t use as screwdriver to tighten a stock tube .😇

Alot of AEGs have the philips head screw that sits in the buffertube holding it to the gearbox. the castlenut helps to add extra tension.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, SheriffHD said:

Alot of AEGs have the philips head screw that sits in the buffertube holding it to the gearbox. the castlenut helps to add extra tension.

Sorry my boneheaded error completely forgot about the gearbox screws as only buffers I've got now are TM recoils and gas ! 🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, Druid799 said:

Sorry my boneheaded error completely forgot about the gearbox screws as only buffers I've got now are TM recoils and gas ! 🤦‍♂️

easy to look down on us Non TM peasants, I understand 😆

• Supporters

I would NEVER look down on you lowly pheasants !
I’m too short for that ! 😳

• Supporters

Good points, I've learned that it's always a good idea to bring at least one backup AEG and the box-o-bits.  I got a full day on Saturday via playing with backup #1, then cannibalising backup #2 to get DMR Prime sorted at lunch.

It was surprising (and a little disappointing) the number of folk who made of point of saying "Rather you than me, mate" or "I'd never risk working on my gun, mate", as though ignorance is a virtue. Come on, M4 hop units are one bolt then a circlip, you could train a monkey to work on them.  And not a monkey from the top of the tree either, one who's fallen out a few times and hit his head on every branch on the way down.

27 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Good points, I've learned that it's always a good idea to bring at least one backup AEG and the box-o-bits.  I got a full day on Saturday via playing with backup #1, then cannibalising backup #2 to get DMR Prime sorted at lunch.

It was surprising (and a little disappointing) the number of folk who made of point of saying "Rather you than me, mate" or "I'd never risk working on my gun, mate", as though ignorance is a virtue. Come on, M4 hop units are one bolt then a circlip, you could train a monkey to work on them.  And not a monkey from the top of the tree either, one who's fallen out a few times and hit his head on every branch on the way down.

My mp5k or spring shotty always comes with me as a backup gun, regardless of what else I'm bringing. Always a good idea to have a backup!

And you're totally right. Outside of gearbox related shenanigans, airsoft guns are really easy to work on. And even then, V2 gearboxes aren't that complicated once you open them up and have a look. I'll give someone a pass though if they don't want to crack open their V7 gearbox, as I've endured that pain myself and wouldn't wish it on anyone (unless it's a tech I'm paying to open it up for me, then I do wish it on them because that's what I'm paying them to do!)

35 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

It was surprising (and a little disappointing) the number of folk who made of point of saying "Rather you than me, mate" or "I'd never risk working on my gun, mate"

I'd change a hop bucking on site but I wouldn't open a gearbox....OK maybe if Luke was sat next to me.

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I'd change a hop bucking on site but I wouldn't open a gearbox....OK maybe if Luke was sat next to me.

oh for sure, too many springy things in a gearbox to get lost on site, better done at home with a clean&tidy floor.

i've always advocated knowing your own teching, so many advantages once you get past that hill at the start and can put stuff together properly.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.