Don't Be This Guy (Eye Pro)

TheFull9

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Worth checking the ratings.

Even a good brand like bolle can crack if the particular model isnt rated for airsoft energies.

Iirc the raiders are stanag 2920 which from memory is well in excess of "you have got to be joking" joule levels.

• Supporters

Have seen this in actions so many times over the years , have literally seen some one turn up with a grands worth of gun and a set of £5 own brand work glasses from B&Q ! Some times the mentality and lack of thought some players put in to the most Important piece of kit associated with airsofting , your eye protection , can literally stop you dead in your tracks . 

I’ve got a expensive pair of ballistic eye pro, took a round to it a couple of weeks ago from not very far and didn’t even scratch it. Honestly why so don’t think to invest the money into it is beyond me 

I've seen so many people turn up at a game with a fully decked out TM recoil, full multi cam, the works and yet they go onto the field with kit that hasn't been adjusted to fit them, wearing Halfords eye pro and filling their expensive guns with .2g BBs and yelling at everyone for not taking their hits. 

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

I've seen so many people turn up at a game with a fully decked out TM recoil, full multi cam, the works and yet they go onto the field with kit that hasn't been adjusted to fit them, wearing Halfords eye pro and filling their expensive guns with .2g BBs and yelling at everyone for not taking their hits. 

sounds about right.

it's fine, just sit back and enjoy the salt build up as their rounds drop short.

• Supporters

Unfortunately any sport or past time that needs any kind of PPE you’ll see people turning up with Kit that just about reaches the bare minimum . See it all the time with motorbikes for instance , you’ll see someone riding a CBR1000 that they’ve dropped 20grand on , it’ll do 180 mph in the blink of an eye AND there wearing jeans and trainers ! 😡

You will only ever have one pair of eyes, don't take the risk! I was shot in the eye area with a 500fps upgraded VSR from approx 10ft away (on purpose by the player 😠). Glasses remained intact but the sound and vibration of the impact scared the life out of me and even slightly knocked them off my face. Who knows what kind of terrible state I would have been in if I opted to cheap out.

I’ve been running JT Elite goggles since the very early 2000’s. They are a mixture of cost effective and solid as a nori brick. That being said. If I take a serious hit to the lens I’ll swap it out for a fresh one. Even if I don’t, it gets changed after about six months of use. 

Currently looking for some good low profile full seal, I got the Pyramex I-force pro due to Novritsch saying they never fog. obviously they fogged pretty quickly. I have bought a second pair as well as a "PJ Panoramic." At this rate I'm tempted to just get some sunglasses style ones but as I play CQB I think full seal would be best?

have ought some fogstop to test as well.

• Supporters

If you fog everything, go (Quality!) mesh goggles or fan goggles.  Former is a lot cheaper even for good ones, fan goggles from ESS or Revision are big bucks (£100+), though an investment that'll pay huge dividends for years of playing.  Best airsoft money I've ever spent.

I've always found cat crap* works well with a quick treatment first thing and maybe reapplying it at lunch on the bad days. 

Although I picked up a pair of Edge Tactical glasses last year and so far they've been pretty much fog free even without treatment 

*no I haven't been raiding the litter tray, I mean this

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Cannonfodder

On 22/05/2021 at 17:19, PopRocket123 said:

WTF?!?! Shopping at Halfords ?? Are they made of money ??? :D 

11 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

I've always found cat crap* works well with a quick treatment first thing and maybe reapplying it at lunch on the bad days. 

Although I picked up a pair of Edge Tactical glasses last year and so far they've been pretty much fog free even without treatment 

*no I haven't been raiding the litter tray, I mean this

s-l300.jpg

What Edge eyewear model do you have?

9 hours ago, Samurai said:

I've been wearing super cheap eyepro since day 1 and never regretted it, but I do my research on them.

You don't have to buy the expensive brands, but do get good ones. If you don't know what makes them good, then buy proven expensive ones.

Dewalt eye pro.

A direct hit with a 28lb sledge hammer obliterates them! So does a boomag vibrating power roller. But they sure as hell take a 5mtr hit from a .02bb.👍

Regards 

19 minutes ago, gunbod007 said:

What Edge eyewear model do you have?

Not sure off the top of my head, I'm at work at the moment so I'll post a picture tomorrow 

I use Bollé Pilot II - in CQB they have taken a point blank hit to the lens (well within a metre) and they were golden probably the best £8.95 spent from Amazon .

Admittedly I did loads looking for goggles that would go over my spectacles and when I found any I did a lot of fact checking before I bought them via checking their safety information data sheets.

The Pilots are rated at Medium energy impact, resists a 6 mm, 0.86 g ball at 120 m/s which is 393fps but it handled a 0.25 BB at 350 with no markings 

https://www.bolle-safety.com/uploads/tech/6019789922782.pdf

Edited by MiK

• Supporters
1 hour ago, MiK said:

The Pilots are rated at Medium energy impact, resists a 6 mm, 0.86 g ball at 120 m/s which is 393fps but it handled a 0.25 BB at 350 with no markings 

sure you got that calculation right? 0.86g at 120m/s is equivalent to an 0.2g going at 816fps?

for en166:

there's f marking for low velocity, which is 0.86j

there's the b marking for medium velocity which is 6.19j

there's the a marking for high velocity at 15.5j

only the f marking should be of concern, but needless to say the gaps between them are massive, so whilst eyepro that can stop say 4j would be fine for uk fields it'd still only be f marked, of course it's not really worth rolling those dice.

I only calculated the 120m/s into FPS - I didn’t bother with working the 0.86g bit out but I kinda assumed that half of .86 is .43 and then double up the 393fps to 786-ish (match box maths) ?? But I know they can handle a .25 in the face :D

Edited by MiK

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.