The 'How Did Your Airsoft Day Go? Thread

Skara

Just got back from a great day at Worthing Airsoft (for the most part). It was very, very warm, but after last game day I decided to go with the long sleeves and I'm very happy with the decision as I have got home and my arms are not in agony from the various lacerations from all the thorns and the horrible burning from all the stinging nettles (seriously, the foliage at Worthing is more dangerous than the enemy players, I swear...). Took my KJW m40a5 as usual, but decided to run my KWA mp9 in a thigh holster, as I want to replace it with a TM mp7 so I wanted to make sure it worked well as a setup, as well as my TM bodyguard in a shoulder holster. Didn't fire the bodyguard pistol once, but the other two got a whole lot of use. Everything chronoed fine, with the m40a5 being around 1.8 - 1.9J, which I was fine with since with the temperatures probably increasing in the day the power would likely increase a bit, so having a solid 0.4J of wiggle room means I wouldn't end up being hot. KWA mp9 came up 0.8J, so that was fine as well. Hopping .32s out delightfully!

Anyway, first game was the sands of pain. Basically, box with timers on it that you have to go up to and push your button down to start accumulating time. Can't press it with a foot, have to go up and put your hand on the button. Box can't be moved and it's always placed in a nasty location where you're going to get shot a whole lot. The site hasn't had any changes from last time and I am yet to see a team win from one of the sides. We started on that side and made a decent push up, but both us and the other team were unable to get much time on the clock. I teamed up with some of the more experienced players, calling out movement and taking some long-distance shots for them as we tried to push up, but spawning from that side was very difficult to push up with as there are a LOT of strong positions on the other side with the way the new constructions are.

However, second game we switched ends and... it wasn't even close. I went to the same position that I know has been made disgusting because of the new builds and held a flank by myself, with my friend a little behind me in another spot watching our flank (and also having perfect sight onto the sands of pain box, so none of the enemy team could get any time on it). The main issue was that I only have three magazines for the m40a5, so that's about 84 shots in total and I had gone through a magazine in the first game. 48 shots and I'm pretty sure I got about 40 kills with them, as enemy players constantly approached the new checkpoint that I have perfect line of sight to and I kept picking them off. Furthermore, the rest of our team managed to push up decently well and we got a whole load of time on the clock. I think we got almost 3 minutes total, which all of it was in the second game (which is a LOT when you have to be pressing a button in the open to count up) and the other team got under a minute which was pretty much all in the first game when we were on the other side. The highlight of the day was that there were some milsimmers present today and some of them were getting a bit salty with me constantly picking them off; the issue with getting salty at me when I'm not breaking any rules is that I find those buttons and just constantly press them because it gives me great joy, so every time they came along my flank I'd give them a .45 (BB, not the calibre!) to the plate carrier or arm. By the end of the game I was basically out of ammo on the rifle; I think I had 2 shots left. I will once again reiterate my point that they need to do some more work at the Tower base, as it's really imbalanced from one side.

Third game was a three base domination and I found out that some, but not all, of the ghillies on the other team (all of the ghillies were on yellow; only me in my uncrafted viper hood and my friend in his ghillie were on blue) were being cheeky and they were spawn-camping all day, creeping around the edge of the site and setting up just outside our spawn; I just didn't know because I hadn't had to go back to respawn yet! This game I decided that I wasn't having that and basically played rearguard all game. I spotted one trying to cross into some nettles that were just outside our spawn and I showed him why I have the opinion that mk23s are crappy sidearms for snipers. His position was way stronger than mine, and if the positions were reversed, I would've hit him where I was shooting from easily when we traded a few shots with the bolt actions, but fortunately the shots he took went wide and I decided that instead of this unfavourable situation for me, I would give him an unfavourable situation, dropping my bolt action and pulling out the mp9 before rushing him down. He was a little salty, saying the tree he was behind was crap, but it was way stronger than my spot; his issue was that the mk23 is crap at fast shooting and I just rushed him down with the mp9, keeping his head down with a few shots and moving around to shoot him from the side. I reset my position and spotted a 2nd ghillie who had crept into the nettles and I sent some shots his way. There was a bit of teflon here, since I watched the shots go in and watched him recoil from some of them, but he went to ground and kept trying to creep up next to our spawn. Sent some more shots into him as he crested the nettles, causing him to go to ground again. I then told a few of my team mates that there was a sniper in the nettles and two started moving around to clear him and a 12 year old with the worst sounding AEG I've ever heard came up to where I was. Told him where I had seen the bush wookiee and... he spotted him and took him out. He did get traded, but he took the full ghillie'd full-upgraded VSR bush wookiee with his m4 that sounded like it was constantly running out of battery, respawned in and came back to me congratulating him on the shot. Turns out it was his first time airsofting, so I'm glad he got him :D 

I did then friendly fire someone, but it wasn't my fault. Saw them peeking out in our direction from behind some cover, so I colour challenged him. He didn't respond, peeked out again and I shot him on the face mask, then he came out was showed his arm band. I was just like "why didn't you respond when I colour challenged you?!" since if I colour challenge someone and they don't respond, I'm assuming they're hostile 😂

I called it at lunch time though. It wasn't because it was too hot; I generally enjoy warm weather airsoft, but I do quite literally have heart disease so I didn't want to push it. I'm being somewhat melodramatic with that, but last week I finally managed to get the symptoms for my palpitations captured when it acted up on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning and they've confirmed it's atrial fibrillation, which is a heart disease (but it's not the worst). Hopefully will be able to get an ablation done and get back to living my life properly, playing all day at airsoft and doing the exercise I enjoy doing during the week and losing the weight I want to lose, because I can't at the moment :(

Spent the rest of the day tweaking my Tanaka m700, but that's really a wall-hanger. It's incredibly rare and the stock is a real wood Remington 700 stock converted for the Tanaka m700 receiver, plus it's not as consistent as my KJW ones and doesn't like the intake rubbers I use to control the power, so it's not practical to use. However, I also learned something that might cause me to revisit HPAing my m14, as someone else was having the same issue and the tech on-site had a good look at his and found out what was causing the issue in his. I'm about to try the fix on my engine too and if it works I might consider keeping that HPA'd and just run is as a shorter m14 build for a more recce role (and also CQB because I love taking long guns to CQB and I don't mind the line as much in CQB since I run my plate carrier, which works better with a line and tank, and I'm not crawling through bushes and getting caught on literally everything)

Looking forward to next week. Trying a new site with a few of the Worthing lads and everything worked well today so I'll be running the m40a5, mp9 and bodyguard pistol there too :D 

9 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Just so happened that this popped up on my YouTube feed in the bath last night....

https://youtu.be/JtYlIpIq2Xk?si=uUledUApwJ95canr

A very interesting watch. Thanks.

I've just bought my first bag of 6000 .25 Nuprol RZRs. With hindsight I should of got a couple of smaller bags of different weights but at least after shooting 6000 of them, I'll know how they fly!

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Of course.  Safety briefs are by and large boring as we've all heard them before, a few humorous infills helps keep people engaged and listening.

I figured most likely, but that 1% doubt in the back of my mind was there.. I've heard some cringe stupidity in morning briefs.

• Supporters
On 10/09/2023 at 10:57, Gunboat Diplomat said:

wondering what is the max weight BB our stock guns can hop

I've yet to have anything that won't hop a 0.28g, although I think they're all running Maple Leaf buckings at the moment.  Might be work asking if you can cadge a few heavier BBs at the chrono.

On 10/09/2023 at 16:57, Dan Robinson said:

Of course.  Safety briefs are by and large boring as we've all heard them before, a few humorous infills helps keep people engaged and listening.

( @Fatboy40 wonders if all site briefings involve jokes about peoples genitals and sex, or just the sites he goes to 🤔 A bit like... https://youtu.be/wcBOX1JBcjQ?si=nGZU6BeMA_jQGoul )

Cracking evening of CQB this past Wednesday at Invicta Black Site. As always well run, very very little time waiting around between games, and fast paced jumpy CQB action in pitch black darkness. New Glock 34 was playing up (mag related I surmise), so most games played with the ASG JW3 hicappa (bought second hand from the classifieds for peanuts, and thousands of rounds later continues to perform flawlessly), and the Double Eagle UTR45 (great, but in tight CQB I still prefer a pistol).

Quite pleased with my performance, but as ever, the more tired I get in the later games, the more fast, frantic, and poorer thought through my movements seem to become -  with so many more players getting the drop on me as a result. I really need to work on slowing down my pace in the last few games and taking a breath...

Took some of the most painful hits i have (drew blood through my clothing) - so its convinced me that, heat be damned, I need to invest in a plate carrier when playing indoors!

Only negatives (aside from the overly painful hits) was that, when you have an hours drive home and the last game doesn't finish until 11pm, you really could do without waiting 10 minutes for a marshal to unlock the car park gate and sign you out....

47 minutes ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

Took some of the most painful hits i have (drew blood through my clothing) - so its convinced me that, heat be damned, I need to invest in a plate carrier when playing indoors!

Sorry to hear about the pain, one thing that works well me is to put a second layer underneath the clothes, i got one of those really close fit - sweat wicking tshirts, almost a rashguard. You ‘ll still feel the hit, but the second layer does a good job of stopping the skin from breaking and i sweat way less than with full plates.

Hope this helps 

2 hours ago, Kzwi said:

Sorry to hear about the pain, one thing that works well me is to put a second layer underneath the clothes, i got one of those really close fit - sweat wicking tshirts, almost a rashguard. You ‘ll still feel the hit, but the second layer does a good job of stopping the skin from breaking and i sweat way less than with full plates.

Hope this helps 

I'll give this a go, thanks for the tip!

After last week's disappointment of the event we had booked being cancelled, today I took the safe option of wandering across the Thames into darkest Essex and the small but perfectly formed Tower Airsoft.

The site was not the only thing that was small today; rather surprisingly, there were only 21 in attendance.  However, the marshalling team did a good job of rejigging the planned games to make them work.

First off was a game in which the attackers (Red) had to grab a flag from the castle and get it into the church and wave it.  There was a time limit to the game but victory over the two legs would be decided by which side took fewer hits while attacking.  Defenders had three lives, with a 30m fallback after being hit, while attackers had infinite regens on a marshal.

After we had dug in around the castle and the bush Wookies had disappeared to do whatever bush Wookies do together in the woods, we waited for the enemy's attack and then waited a little longer.  Finally, it arrived, with BBs flying in all directions; after potting a few attackers, I was hit and fell back to a position in front of the church.  After a while, a shout went up that the flag had been grabbed and was moving forwards; eventually, a decent firefight broke out and, again after sending a few Reds back where they came from, I was hit and pulled back behind the church, from where I could make sure that nobody was sneaking around behind it.  Everything seemed to go rather quiet for quite a long time until the reds finally launched an attack, during which they managed to get a gas grenade into the church but did not have anyone left alive to storm it.  Having returned from the dead, they tried again but ran out of time, having taken 47 hits.  Talking to some of the red team, we found out why it had gone quiet; four of their ten players (a group of milsim types), who were new to the site, had got rather lost and found themselves the wrong side of the deadfall that protects the church from flank attacks on one side.

Following a hydration break, we played another game.  We had to assault the village from the bus yard, find four data disks and return them to the bus yard, from where they and we would be exfiled.

This was great fun; we assaulted the village from two directions and, after lots of hairy firefights with the resolute defenders, managed to grab all four disks and get the last one back to the exfil just within the time limit.  Then we got a nasty surprise; someone had blundered!  The exfil was delayed and friends of the previous defenders were coming back to prevent us getting away; they must come from a very inbred community as they looked identical to the folk who had previously been defending the village!  This led to some great firefights, with the SLR reaching out and touching people; by the time the exfil arrived, about half of us were left alive.

After lunch, we turned round the Castle/Church game.  We decided to carry out a mass flank attack from the right, driving forward en masse, while the bush Wookies kept the defenders, and themselves, amused frontally.  This worked very well; we cleared the castle in short order, grabbed the flag and headed towards the church.  Again, we organised a mass attack while a couple of us kept the defenders in the church tower pinned down by peppering the windows with BBs.  After getting a teensy bit bogged down due to a solid defence, this strategy eventually succeeded and the flag was waved in the church well within the time limit, with us having taken 25 hits.

When we got back to the safe zone, the milsim types decided to go home; apparently, one of them had been getting somewhat upset about getting shot rather a lot and had been a bit shouty about it.  Three other players on the Red team also had to leave to go to work, leaving only a chap and his two lads.

As there were now only 14 players, the marshals decided to spend the last hour of the day playing a number of games in the bus yard; as this is not something that I am particularly keen on, I decided to pack up and leave having had a good, fun day.

Weapons used:
Ares SLR
Real Sword Type 97
My longest and shortest rifles!
Milbro M1911 Classic (CO2)

Just now, Colin Allen said:

Ares SLR

How's the fps?

mine is shooting 1.85j 434fps too hot for my local site coz it's not a bolt action. 😐

1 hour ago, gavinkempsell said:

How's the fps?

mine is shooting 1.85j 434fps too hot for my local site coz it's not a bolt action. 😐

I cannot remember what it was when I got it as it was a few years ago; it is now running at about 1.05J after an extensive rebuild last year.

Very good day at Redcon-2 for me yesterday. My body's paying for the full workout that my fitness tracker estimated burning more than 3k calories in running and walking.

Another day at Ambush Airsoft and on the whole us was a good one, despite a few negatives. Firstly the PDW chrono'd at a measly 120ish fps on a .28g bb (0.2j) so it went straight back into the bag and I stuck with the MP5K. The only other real negative was that there appeared to be a few players who were reluctant to call their hits and so this resulted in quite a few cases of overkill. An announcement by staff to knock it off was given and afterwards things were alot better. A large number of players also left at lunchtime when the heavens opened and after this the games felt like they flowed better and everyone seemed generally more chilled out.

All in all it's not the best day I've had there but it certainly wasn't a bad one

Another weekend at... not Worthing 😮 

So this weekend a few of us decided to try a new site, since Worthing is only every two weeks and one guy hasn't been able to play for a bit due to family and football commitments and he wanted to get out and play BB wars. I snagged a lift with him since he lives near to where I am and we headed to Southdown Airsoft, near Petworth in West Sussex, along with two others from Worthing. I packed the MWS, as I planned on using that after doing a bit of setup, however I also packed the m40a5 and the mp9 just in case it didn't work as intended... and how prescient that was. Chronoed the m40a5 and mp9 first as I knew what to set them up with and it was nice and easy to get them sorted in case I needed them. Then I took the MWS to the range and... it was flinging BBs all over the place. I could get the power where I wanted it, experimenting up to 1.7J on .32s at the highest, though I imagine I can bump it up to 1.88J with .4s if I ever go to a site to run a DMR at, and I had no issue getting it comfortably to 1.1J on .32s without issue. However, it was flinging BBs left, right, centre, up, down, side to side. It was horrifically inaccurate, so I put it back in the bag and will swap the hop rubber out. I don't think it's ever really liked autobot rubbers, so I'll stick in an MR hop. Was running the Jaeger Precision nub, but I'll take it to Worthing with spare nubs and rubbers next weekend and properly sort it out as I really want to run it now that I've converted it to a mk12. They separated us into two teams, splitting the snipers down the middle too and I overheard a marshall being concerned that the other team had all their regular snipers who are well-known at the site with well-tuned rifles and our team had two of us who had never been to the site before and another kid. However, we dunked on them so it was all fine ;)

Anyway, with the m40a5 in hand and the mp9 in its holster, we headed out to the first game. The first game was good fun. There was a box with a scanner and people on each team were given cards they had to scan. So you had to run up to the box and scan your card to score a point, then once you've achieved that you handed your card back to the marshalls so you could only score once. I actually quite liked this, as it meant that a lot of people on your team had to push rather than the same 2 or 3 people playing aggressive and trying to get all the points by themselves. There were some very good pushes on both sides. My main criticism here were two things; the gameplay area needed some barricades (and with my criticisms of Worthing at this time of year you know it's gotta be bad if I'm saying that). It was way too open and that allowed people like me to set up and deny the other team any progress, assuming people are taking their hits. That was my 2nd criticism; there was some laughable non-hit taking. Most people were fine, but a not-small amount of players were hilariously bad at taking their hits on the way into the objective, getting laced up sometimes and not calling it. Marshalls sometimes called it out, but not always and I feel more could've been done. I just started aiming for more noticeable areas, like flabby bits sticking out the side of plate carriers. A .45 at 2J is going to be felt there! I got so many hits here that I had to reload and keep ammo out with me, which I never usually have to as I only shoot when I'm confident I'm going to hit the shot but there were just so many targets. I even hit the same guy (one of their regular snipers) 4 times as he kept going back to the same spot that I had a perfect line to. I was just thinking to myself "go literally anywhere else!" but he kept coming back and getting hit by me.

Second game didn't work. It was a standard team deathmatch, but without any other objectives it turned into a bit of a campfest. I pushed up to a spot that overlooked a massive valley to watch a flank and denied a large area with my m40a5, but one of the guys I was with said he pushed so far up without finding anyone to shoot at that he was almost at their spawn. If I was running the game, I would've put an objective in the central tower structure of the area we were playing in for this game to force both teams to push up, as it slowed right down and wasn't a great game.

That's all though, as we left at lunch. I'm only playing half days until my heart is fixed and my friend's mosfet got wet in the absolute torrential downpour that started during the second game, so we decided to head off early.

Did I have fun? Yeah, I did actually. The site is great and the first game we played was super engaging. It's just a shame the weather was so bad and was absolutely tipping it down fairly early into the games as a lot of people (myself and one of the Worthing guys included) headed home at lunch because it was just unworkable. It was some of the heaviest rain I've ever been in, but the thunder storm was atmospheric as all hell. Don't think I'll be heading back any time soon though as it's a bit far from us and I think they have to close for the winter due to local wildlife or something. Was a good day though and I thoroughly enjoyed myself :D 

Edited by Impulse

Distrct 23. Sunday afternoon/evening session. Around 20-25 players. Fantastic session. MP5 ran like a champ all session but man I need to find a better sling setup. Gameplay was great and everyone had a laugh. Rentals had fun. No complaints.

@Tugger During the break we introduced the marshal to Magflash as he was also interested in them. The "mini" flashbang that was sent as a tester is what I used first and was the single loudest piece of pyro i've ever heard, holy shit. I've never felt a shockwave like that from any pyro, no wonder they're still in the testing phase. Testing the three other flashbangs (small, regular, large) was a success and they're much quieter than the first; these three are about the same sound report as a Mk5 Thunderflash where the small, regular, large appears to relate to the amount of flash/sparks effect each flashbang provides.

The marshal has approved them for use downstairs only as the upstairs of the site is made primarily of wood and he wants to reduce the risk of fire caused by the sparks as much as possible. The "mini" flashbang might need a bit of tweaking but can't say for sure as I only took one of each for testing/approval.

Edited by MrTea

One of those days today, to start I was over chrono on one rifle so down to one from the off.

A few shirty Marshall’s seemingly thier just to be miserable and obviously nothing like a brief starting the day with the exact words “if you don’t like our rules fuck off down the road to *insert site*”

Crappy hit taking from both sides, some players actively calling hit then dropping their hands to shoot you the second you move on to your next target.

MWS return spring shit itself and locked up the entire receiver so had to pack up and  fire alarm just after lunch was icing on top…

Did see a microwave get blown up with some TAG grenades though so that was fun.

Bit of a mixed day yesterday. Organised one of my themed game days, cold war romp set in East Germany. All ended up a bit one sided as one team was definitly working better . The weather was truly vile but 70 odd still turned out . One or two frayed tempers later in the day, a combination I think of frustration from one team and the weather. A couple of lessons learned for when I do another. Organising and marshalling games gives you a very different perspective on our hobby , makes you realise how thankless the marshall's job often is. Herding cats is so much easier than trying to organise your average bunch of airsofters  !😂

1 hour ago, Nick G said:

Bit of a mixed day yesterday. Organised one of my themed game days, cold war romp set in East Germany. All ended up a bit one sided as one team was definitly working better . The weather was truly vile but 70 odd still turned out . One or two frayed tempers later in the day, a combination I think of frustration from one team and the weather. A couple of lessons learned for when I do another. Organising and marshalling games gives you a very different perspective on our hobby , makes you realise how thankless the marshall's job often is. Herding cats is so much easier than trying to organise your average bunch of airsofters  !😂

Several years of marshalling gave me a very jaundiced view of most airsofters and almost resulted in me giving up the hobby.

Played at battlestations on Sunday. Always a good site with decent marshals and always trying to find new games to spin.

Mostly decent day, a few hit taking issues over the day especially in the afternoon when a fresh faced group of rentals in shorts and t shirts rocked up. 

Had a moment or 2 though of 'hmmm is someone shooting hot' after a mate had their mesh lower face pro dented by a bb and then I had the flip up lense protector on my rifle cracked right through.

But a decent day all in. Back into the woods in webbing and hat instead of plate carrier and helmet in a couple of weeks.

This last Sunday I had the first rather average morning I've ever had at Driver Wood. They seemed to be experimenting with a longer (2.5 hrs) game  rather than two shorter games and a break- fine - I'm happy with that.  At least 30 minutes extra game time packed into the morning, and of course people free to head to the safe zone for a break whenever they wish. What was less good was the decision to relocate the team spawns to the far corners of the playing area in order to spread people out all around the map. The Orange team spawn  was hidden in a dense maze of rhododendron right on the edge fo the map - I genuinely spent 15 minutes walking in circles trying to find it, and even the times I managed to locate it first time, it was a tedious 5-10 minutes trudge from the middle of the playing area there and the same back.

I know there is a balance to be struck -  ultra quick re-spawns can be equally frustrating if you are trying to dominate and take objectives and the enemy players that you take out are re-emerging under a minute later (knowing exactly where you are). But being taken out of a game for 10+ minutes once you are hit is just boring. Driver Wood doesn't seem to suffer endemic cheating, but yesterday morning was different - with most players choosing to retreat a few hundred meters when hit, wait in a bush for a few minutes, and then come back into play rather than trudge off to try to locate the spawn. And frankly, I sympathise!

Lets hope that they stick with the 2.5 hour games to maximise playing time, but have a careful re-think about spawn locations and suitable playing area size for the numbers.

I didn't really play this weekend, as I spent all of Saturday settling my little sister into university as it's her first year. After dragging a heavy suitcase with broken wheels, and carrying a bunch of heavy food shopping through London, I didn't want to take my chances on Sunday with my heart and play airsoft (still waiting on the arrhythmia clinic to talk about treating my atrial fibrillation) but I still went down to Worthing Airsoft to chat and tinker with my MWS on the range, since having a 100m range isn't something I have access to in the middle of Brighton. Anyway, I first helped a guy put together his ZCI hop unit and try and troubleshoot why his new (2nd hand) AEG was acting up. Wasn't the hop up, with a new ZCI rotary unit and a G&G green bucking it was firing very nicely when it fired properly, but it was horribly inconsistent. Eventually we worked out it was either his mag alignment or, more likely, a poorly done gearbox. With my aversion to gearboxes, I wasn't going to help him pry it open and tinker it though! Also my friend's m700 was acting up (again) and I realised his gas router was installed upside down, so after changing that over he just had to tweak the power a little bit to get it under 2.3J.

Anyway, once everyone headed out to games and after a bit more of a chat with the staff, I got the MWS out and took it to the range. When I took it to Southdown Airsoft last weekend it was shooting all over the place and was totally unusable, so I swapped out the Maple Leaf autobot rubber for a very old Maple Leaf MR hop rubber that was in my parts box for the past three or more years just to see if it was the type of hop rubber and... it was; I brought all of my VSR hop rubbers and all of my nubs as I was ready to experiment to find the best combination, but the old MR rubber with the Jaeger Precision nub was working really nicely. Even with the really old MR hop rubber it was shooting really nicely at 1J on .32s and was pretty accurate and consistent, so it's now my go-to 1J gun. I forgot to bring my .4s so I couldn't open up the NPAS and experiment at DMR power (1.64J at Worthing Airsoft), plus my friend forgot to bring his dremel so I couldn't modify the fire selector anyway. Will get that done during the week. Anyway, I was originally planning on replacing the old MR hop rubber with a silicone one like I have in my AKM (that performs really nicely too!), but with how it was performing this weekend on the range I'm happy to just keep the old rubber in until I need to swap it out. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Once I finished up there, my friend had come back and grabbed his m249 as there were too many snipers and it was getting boring. Apparently on his team alone there were at least 8 bolt action snipers and about 6 ghillies (not necessarily the same people either), so he wanted something with a bit more punch. At this time of year the site is still very thick, so having so many rifles with an MED was really grinding the game down and had all the snipers vying for the same spots. I next saw him coming back early before lunch and apparently it's because the marshalls were running games on semi-only.

This is something that is really grinding my gears about Worthing Airsoft these days and this is coming from me; I pretty much only play on semi-auto and believe that full-auto is a crutch for people who can't aim (a generalisation, but one that is mostly accurate, pun intended), so if I wanted the game to cater to me over everyone else I'd be wholly endorsing semi-only games, but I hate it. Semi-only games have their place, but that place is not woodland skirmish days. Furthermore, it screws people over like my friend who like support guns, since his m249 only fires on auto and even feathering the trigger he was told he couldn't do that because it wasn't semi. Plus someone moaned when he hit them with two BBs from feathering the trigger. It's also a decision made on the day, so what happens if someone brings their support gun for a skirmish game only to be told "sorry, you can't use that because we're playing semi-only today." As I said, I don't mind semi-only games and love playing filmsim and battlesim games where everyone is restricted to semi-only and support guns have to be deployed, but can shoot full auto, however a woodland skirmish day is not filmsim. Apparently the reason for it was that the gameplay was too close, so during lunch I went for a wander down to where the game was being played, as I know there is an area of the site where semi-only is needed, as the Clearing area of the site is basically like playing in a woodland killhouse (used to be clear, now the name is pretty ironic and some call it Coppice). However, the area this game was being played was no thicker than the other areas of the site. There weren't going to be many close range firefights where the game was being played, and some of the foliage needed full-auto to punch through. I think the players and the marshalls are getting a bit too precious about full auto, and they do nothing about people with hair-triggers who spam semi-auto faster than some people have full-auto since it's how a few of the marshalls have their own guns set up. I get no full-auto under 10m, but limiting entire games in a woodland skirmish setting where most engagements are between 20 - 50m to semi-only is ludicrous!

I love Worthing Airsoft and I would consider a lot of the staff and regular players as friends, but it's lost what made me fall in love with the site in the first place. Once I've got my driving licence and my own car, I think I'm going to start trying other sites around. Haven't heard amazing things about Dogtag or Driver Wood, but I'll give them a go since I also hadn't heard good things about Southdown Airsoft and I had more fun there last week than I typically have at Worthing Airsoft and it was by no means a perfect day of well-managed skirmish! Yes, part of it was because it was a new site to me and it was way better for sniping than Worthing is, but the fact remains that I enjoyed myself more. The big one I'll probably look to do is the open filmsim weekends at Gunman Battle Lakes in Kent, as that's not too much further than Worthing Airsoft from where I live.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm upset :(

Edited by Impulse

6 minutes ago, Impulse said:

Haven't heard amazing things about Dogtag or Driver Wood, but I'll give them a go since I also hadn't heard good things about Southdown Airsoft and I had more fun there last week than I typically have at Worthing Airsoft and it was by no means a perfect day of well-managed skirmish!

Dogtag is adequate, Driver Wood is pretty good in my view. But then i haven't been to Worthing or Southdowns, so i can't form a comparison for you I'm afraid. My slight whinge in my post above aside, I'd be interested to hear what other negatives that you've heard for Driver Wood.

Good day out at Spec Ops yesterday.  I'll probably leave Dan to review the games, but basically after worrying at the outset that the teams looked unbalanced with more regular/experienced/sniper/HPA players on the other team, it actually turned out to be reasonably well balanced.  (Though we did lose most of the time in the end!)

Decided to travel light again for this event, so went Double Double Eagle + gas gun

* Double Eagle M906C (approving comments on the new paint job were much appreciated)

* Double Eagle M904G (backup)

* VFC HK416 A5 GBBR

This was my first chance to test the two DEs at range after swapping gearboxes and barrels + hop units between the two.  All worked fine.  Ran the 906C with an 11.1v battery and it didn't get hot.  Good result!

I chose the HK416 for the first games, but having only three working mags, and then seemingly having a problem with another, I switched back to the 906C. 

Some very pleasing long range hits, but the best moments were (as always) sneaky flanking attacks where I got nice and close before 'unleashing hell' (or indeed a few small bits of plastic)

A bit of crap hit taking from the kids .. mostly people getting shot in the feet and ignoring it, because they no doubt thought no one could see it happening.  It got called out by the marshals, seemed ok after that.

Great to see lots of friends, weather was good, burger and chicken was tasty, a decent day 🤗