Which retailers in the UK accept Just-Cos Cosplayer Insurance?

• Supporters
33 minutes ago, superwok said:

looking at sellers feedback is all fine and good, but when you want a new toy, that is extra effort. easier to buy from a retailer.

Your money, your choice 😁

2 hours ago, Tackle said:

Your money, your choice 😁

Agreed. I tend to buy new as I'm happy to pay a little more for something where I know it's new and I have the peace of mind knowing if it is a lemon it can go straight back for a refund. Also tbh it's very rare that something shows up in the classifieds which piques my interest and I actually have funds for

I've bought a few pews from the classifieds & a few from shops, on at least 3 occasions I've ordered from a shop & in a matter of days the pew I ordered at new price has appeared in the classifieds at a much lower price... DOH!

2 hours ago, BigStew said:

So am I like the only person that actually asks for proof of defense for the stuff i sell? Also how is this thread still going.

Just Cos goes against the the defense that was hard won and completely undermines the airsoft industry's ability to prove it can self regulate by selling RIFs to anyone and is a wonderful piece of ammunition for any pollical group who feel the need to go after airsoft.

I’m not having a pop at you, bud they are your RIF’s to sell , but…..

If you had something up for sale and you recognised a regular forum member , who has a reasonable collection already, would you ask them for a defence?

Im just trying to gauge when we cross the line?

Personally I have never asked for any defence from a buyer of one of my RIF’s

Edited by Enid_Puceflange

Looking at the classifieds pop up from members with zero feedback, and even less forum interaction - I am somewhat surprised at how easy it is to post an ad.  Some are blatantly from dealers/shops/not skirmishers.

Edited by Dan Robinson

2 hours ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

I’m not having a pop at you, bud they are your RIF’s to sell , but…..

If you had something up for sale and you recognised a regular forum member , who has a reasonable collection already, would you ask them for a defence?

Im just trying to gauge when we cross the line?

Personally I have never asked for any defence from a buyer of one of my RIF’s

As others have said they don't check. there maybe buyers on here with perfect records who have never set foot on a site or not played in years. The chances of a prosecution happening are astoundingly low but sooner or latter it will happen. some one will sell to a brainless fuckwit who will point a RIF at a member of public and when they are arrested you bet they will squeal who the sold it to them. Don't know about every one else but having my life ruined over a toy gun is not worth the risk.

22 hours ago, Tackle said:

Effort is clearly an issue for you, like making the effort to play a site 3 times in no less than 56 days, not exactly difficult though ? 

(Unless your like me & for a long time couldn't find a site I liked enough to commit to🤔

Surely the downside to your cosplay defence is you're restricted to the limited number of retailers that accept it, & potentially screwed over on the price, compared to the relative ease of EVERY retailer accepting ukara, allowing you to shop around 

Also, what's the situation on importing rifs on a cosplay defense. 

I have a disabled child that needs 24/7 care, the odd time I get free, I go to airsoft, so please do not assume or judge or make comments you no nothing about, effort is not a issue for me. 

22 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

I've bought a few pews from the classifieds & a few from shops, on at least 3 occasions I've ordered from a shop & in a matter of days the pew I ordered at new price has appeared in the classifieds at a much lower price... DOH!

Yep I know what you are saying.

I bought some pies from Asda and then found the same pies cheaper at Tesco. 😉

To import you will need a defence, although most overseas shop probably don't accept anything other than UKARA to avoid problems

There is also the problem of customs, they are (probably) used to checking UKARA but not any other types of defence

1 hour ago, superwok said:

I have a disabled child that needs 24/7 care, the odd time I get free, I go to airsoft, so please do not assume or judge or make comments you no nothing about, effort is not a issue for me. 

Your case, and to a much lesser degree mine is why we need an alternative to the UKARA system.  But like I mentioned, we're very much a minority sport, and within that you and I are a minority, so options are limited.  Might be easier to get a sub category within the UKARA system to reduce fuckery with imports.

Edited by Dan Robinson

The ukara require 3 games in no less than given period, does it specifically state a maximum period? If it doesn't and you can show attendance beyond the minimum time surely a record of bookings is enough to obtain the defence. 

If a site has online booking them the bookings with a user account say, then the bookings themselves should serve as evidence enough for a ukara register entry.

2 hours ago, concretesnail said:

The ukara require 3 games in no less than given period, does it specifically state a maximum period? If it doesn't and you can show attendance beyond the minimum time surely a record of bookings is enough to obtain the defence. 

If a site has online booking them the bookings with a user account say, then the bookings themselves should serve as evidence enough for a ukara register entry.

Never seen anything in writing but considering UKARA has to be renewed annually with in 12 months would seem the max.

• Supporters

The 'stated thing' floated around has always been between 3 months and 1 year; that's what I've always seen at least.  Not official like, but it seems to make sense..(within the known rules)?

On 17/03/2024 at 20:11, BigStew said:

So am I like the only person that actually asks for proof of defense for the stuff i sell? Also how is this thread still going.

How would you actually confirm that the UKARA number they give you is valid and not just a random number? Is there some information encoded in it? Does it have a given structure (like a VIN). Does it have a checksum or something?

36 minutes ago, ParHunter said:

How would you actually confirm that the UKARA number they give you is valid and not just a random number? Is there some information encoded in it? Does it have a given structure (like a VIN). Does it have a checksum or something?

None of the above, apart from being a three letter site indicator followed by a  five digit number.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, ParHunter said:

My understanding is there are a number of friendly retailers, such as firesupport, that are happy to confirm the validity of ukara details, including the address for delivery. 

8 minutes ago, Tackle said:

My understanding is there are a number of friendly retailers, such as firesupport, that are happy to confirm the validity of ukara details, including the address for delivery. 

GDPR would stop them from giving out or confirming an address surely?

only thing they can do is confirm that UKARA number belongs to the named player

They will not give personal information but will confirm details you provide.

When you call you ask if a UKARA number is associated with 'name' and/or 'address' and if currently valid.

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters
35 minutes ago, Jez_Armstrong said:

Your correct, I should have made it clearer, buyer approaches me & I'd ask for ukara number, linked name & address, which I can then provide to the likes of firesupport, who would confirm if it's correct & current. 

If all good, my only other requirements is to ensure the delivery address is the same, no deviation. 

Personally I've only ever done this twice, when I had concerns that the buyers were sus in some way, one turned out to be fine, his site also confirmed his regular attendance, but the other was moody af, underage & trying to use someone else's details........... He got swiftly fucked off by me & reported to the mods, ascuk if memory serves me, years ago. 

2 hours ago, Jez_Armstrong said:

GDPR requires information held to be used for the purposes for which that information was collected 

Using the GDPR as an excuse to not confirm details could be a breach of the GDPR in itself - particularly if the subject provided their reference details to a third party on the basis that the third party may request verification

2 hours ago, Jez_Armstrong said:

An address is personal data, the GDPR does not prevent the release of personal data - but to do so must be valid 

Technically a UKARA members address could be released, but the most practical outcome would be a query of whether or not ABC1234 matches with Joe Bloggs of 1 The Avenue.  A nice simple match would be a yes or no. Less simple would be that Joe Bloggs has moved, but that goes beyond an easy yes or no and becomes dependent on the policy under which the data was collected 

eg should it be a simple no that there isn’t a 100% match or something inbetween ?  - which probably shouldn’t be in the remit of a friendly site / retailer 

I’m sure there have been cases highlighted on this forum of issues occurring on import etc due to to customs blockage because of an import to a work address that doesn’t match the players UKARA registered address