bb weight for pistol

DanBow

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

bb weight  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What is the preferred weight for a gbbp

As title really, which weight of bb is good for a gbbp? I'll be playing outdoor, mainly woodland, with some CQB too.

7 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

Really??

25 minutes ago, DanBow said:

Really??

Yes; they deliver good range and stability.

When in CQB sites I use whatever i'm using in my AEG because I don't have to bother with two bags of BBs. Never had an issue firing 0.25g or 0.28g BBs though I know things like my MK23 can easily hop way heavier.

Edited by MrTea
I can't spell

I use pistols rarely in practice and when I do it's usually as part of a suicide charge or being sneaky.  Also a recently introduced rule at our site... brought in to try and stop l said suicide charges by a few of us regualrs whereby everyone has to be armed.

So I only use .2s for budgetary reasons and a bottle of "oh balls, what were these again".

I would never run heavier than .32s, but my answer is basically to mirror the ammo you use in something else so you don't have to buy different ammo types. People always talk about muzzle energy, but the heavier you go at the same muzzle energy, the higher the momentum goes (which is why it sucks getting point blanked by heavy BBs, even at 1.1J). Looking at momentum, a .2 has 70.1 gram ft/s and a .32 has 88.6 gram ft/s and a .48 has 108.5 gram ft/s at 1.14J, just to give you a frame of reference. I think all of my pistol builds can hop .48s if I really wanted to, but I stick to .32s as that's what I stick in my 1.1J builds while playing in woodland (which my local sites are) since I play like a sniper, even with my 1.1J builds, and .32s are where I find the cost/benefit ratio is best. Heavier than .32s the BBs start getting exponentially more expensive. I also tend to run guns with a 30m MED more often than not, so I tend to use my pistol a lot at around 20m.

Also, you're typically using a pistol for closer engagements, so most of your shots won't be that far off. Either you're mid-reload and someone's pushing you and you have to fight them off with the pistol, or you're going into a structure or clearing a barricade, that kind of thing.

I'm moving to 0.28g as one of my pistols won't lift heavier though I'm phasing out my supply of 0.25g. My Mk23 can lift 0.36g easily if I want distance and low noise but I've been lucky not to have such windy days that 0.28g were blown away easily.

Similar to what Impulse said, 0.28/0.32g is that sweet spot of cost vs benefit for me.

Momentum is irrelevant when a BB hits you. I can understand why intuitively ppl think it is relevant however.

It is energy that makes the difference if there is any.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/141779/what-causes-damage-kinetic-energy-or-momentum#:~:text=Here's a more physical argument,the same momentum may not.

Heavier bbs will hang on to the energy for longer in thier flight however, because of the increased mass and same drag as a lighter bb

I use the same ammo, so long as the hop will hop the heavier bbs.

I'm guided by the cost of them, since the advantages diminish after .3, well in my guns anyway

Edited by Sewdhull

I use 0.28g out doors in a TM HK45 but i only use it as a back up i am not going for max range i just want consitance. though a lot of CQB sites I have played at limit to 0.25g for every thing.

Edited by BigStew

.25/.28/.3.  It's whatever I'm using in my aeg.  

That said, the pistol is a secondary and might have to act as your sole arm if the aeg has a (prob temp) malfunction.  In that case you might wish that you had loaded .42s.

I'll say it again though.  I have never actually used my pistol in a game in anger as it were.  I have pulled it when hiding or crouched really low, but never used it as I've never been spotted.  N.B. I do play mainly themed games where a pistol is surplus to requirements.  

I tend to just use whatever is in my primary so that's .28g for woodland and .20g for cqb then adjust the hop up accordingly.

I hardly ever pull my pistol out of its holster, I only carry it due to engagement distances

Me being a lardy, I seem to get taken out of the game before I’m close enough!

My faithful tm g17 & emg hi capa, both work fine with .28’s

My EmmmmmKaaaay - 23 which was heavily modified, would overhop anything below .4’s!!
( @The_Lord_Poncho )😲

Edited by Enid_Puceflange

I use three weights in my pistols- 0.2s for the hicapas indoors - where speed to target matters more than range and, well, they are cheapest! 0.25 in the Glock 19 used as a secondary when i'm running a DMR in woodland (usually gets drawn and used in anger 3 or 4 times per game) - a little more rage and 'punch' to get through vegetation, but ultimately for that type of use, the DMR covers everything 25m plus, so range isn't that important, and .32s in the MK23 (other pronunciations are available, but ill advised)  when it is used as a quiet secondary when I'm running the L96.

I go .28 in all my ordinary sub 350fps skirmish guns. Keeps things simple and it's a happy average of price and overall performance. There's little difference in speed to target against lighter ammo because it keeps it's velocity for longer over range. 

Edited by heroshark

• Supporters
15 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

OK say we're talking standard GBBP's as supposed to highly upgraded EmKay-23's....

Do you really want to load your pistol mags up with 0.32+, to just unload them at the end of the day when it turns out you had little to no use for your pistol (like most woodland players). Additionally in those rare moments room breaching or whatever else may call for a Handgun Hero, you're likely shooting at centre mass from 5 - 15m. Where exactly does the need for "range and accuracy" come into it?

In fact when I was at South Coast CQB, I noticed heavier and slower BB's just gave that extra bit of time for the "enemy" to dive behind the ample cover.

Don't forget these Tokyo Marui pistols we all readily recommend, were designed to be used with 0.20's.

That being said, my pick would be 0.25 or 0.28's as the latter is my chosen weight for AEG's.

I'm on board with this.

Yes you can lob 0.48's from a pistol at 0.75j if you're trying hard enough, and yes the range and accuracy is hilarious.

But realistically, can most people shoot a handgun in the skirmish environment well enough to make use of that?

what you're trading for it is extra strain on the components, particularly the nozzle bulging or even bursting when subjected to regular doses of the heavies..

0.2's indoors 'cos I've a ton of them I want to use up and 0.25's outdoors. When the 0.2's run out I'll just use 0.25's in everything, everywhere.

At the distances I'm usually using a pistol I could pretty much use any BBs and the differences would be negligible.

11 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

That's what makes pistol kills feel better than most others though isn't it?   The Whites of their eyes and the (usually) being the underdog victory.

Soooo satisfying. To be honest, I tend to draw the pistol and have a little charge some times when I would probably be OK on the DMR MED, just for the drama of it.

12 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

That's what makes pistol kills feel better than most others though isn't it?   The Whites of their eyes and the (usually) being the underdog victory.

Quite looking forward to some pistol and shottie only games at the new place when it opens. 

Pistol kills are great and I love using them so tend to use mine a few times a game - it's also quicker to switch to in the middle of a firefight than reload.

Just ventured into shottie ownership so looking forward to messing about with that - just to stay on topic I'll probably run 0.2's through that due to only using it indoors (probably).

15 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Quite looking forward to some pistol and shottie only games at the new place when it opens. 

It's immensely satisfying when they technically outgun you in that moment but you out strategise them. I once managed to land hits on 3 opponents from around a corner with a pistol before a fourth opponent got me.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.