Sling Lenght...?

LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Is there supposed to be tension on the sling when you hold a weapon using the typical C-clamp method? It makes reloading slightly more difficult, but if I make the sling longer, my weapon hangs too low for me to be able to do efficient pistol transistions. Am I missing something?

416sling.png

Edited by LzChase

A little tension is a good thing, if it’s interfering with reloads then tuck your stock under arm, this will slacken it off.

Wouldn’t let the rifle hang on transition either, move it to your off hand or off hand side to rest.

11 hours ago, LzChase said:

Is there supposed to be tension on the sling when you hold a weapon using the typical C-clamp method?

There is no right or wrong 

The C clamp hold can be with or without sling, it’s about stability and control of the barrel tip

Slings can just about carrying to ease the load and to allow you to free your hands - in which case it doesn’t matter how tight or loose it is, just that it holds in a manner that you can get back to it.

Slings can also be about another point of contact for stability and therefore need some tension.  If you have some tension in the sling then this almost counts as being ‘attached’ in a ‘fixed’ position:

The combined tension between the sling pulling back to your body, stock against your shoulder and you forearm pulling away gives three points of ‘contact’ steadying the rifle in the direction that you point  

If it works for you then it’s right - but with the issue of reloads @Wavey_Gravey has it - release the tension by dropping the stock from your shoulder.

Consider how flappy the rifle is when hung from the sling to pop your pistol out - if it’s just an emergency couple of shots then it doesn’t matter too much, but if you switch to pistol and carry on with pistol then a flappy rifle is very annoying 

What works for you works for you

So if there’s a problem effecting you then focus on resolving the problem, if there are others saying that you have it wrong then that’s their problem 

1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

Consider how flappy the rifle is when hung from the sling to pop your pistol out - if it’s just an emergency couple of shots then it doesn’t matter too much, but if you switch to pistol and carry on with pistol then a flappy rifle is very annoying 

I rather too frequently leave the sniper rifle or DMR on the ground whilst i run into some short range conflict with the mk23/glock. And rather too frequently spend 5 minutes searching the woods to find where i had laid the damn things down!

• Supporters
51 minutes ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

I rather too frequently leave the sniper rifle or DMR on the ground whilst i run into some short range conflict with the mk23/glock. And rather too frequently spend 5 minutes searching the woods to find where i had laid the damn things down!

Relatable.

13 hours ago, Wavey_Gravey said:

Wouldn’t let the rifle hang on transition either, move it to your off hand or off hand side to rest.

Or on the back.  I get that top tier operators (and two+ gun competitors) like to transform more often than a 1980s toy-marketing cartoon, but I've very rarely been taken out while swapping guns before going through a door.  Airsoft is a bit more forgiving than real life, I prefer comfort over absolute peak performance.

• Supporters

Well, if we're going to veer back on topic, I do prefer to run a bit on the bondage rather than the floppy side as I find it helps with holding up our super-heavy plastic toys over the course of a day.

C-clamping is mostly pretendy for our purposes, but, well, that's what we're all doing, right? 🤷‍♂️

This is why adjustable slings are king. You can leave it loose for unimpeded movement, then tighten it down if you want to switch to a pistol, or (more realistically) stand around having a chinwag with your mates 😁

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

They get a lot of hate, but I like three-point slings for the flexibility.

Weirdo.

• Supporters

Other than the backpack carry method I don't know what you gain using the issued sling on an SA80 series weapon, last time I deployed I used (for the very few hours I actually carried my rifle) an Edgar Sherman 2-point and it was waaay better than the standard issue.  The quick adjust feature on a 2 point does what the buckle and extra strap on a 3 point does in terms of length adjustment, except more betterer in every way I know of I'd have to say.

@LzChase hard to say much from the picture tbh, your rear connection point makes a fair bit of difference to how much slack you'll ever have to play with in any given position.  Either way, regardless of how much tension you like if you have a quick adjust 2-point you can always dial it in a practically-speaking infinite way to suit any given position or arrangement of kit.

Personally the setup/carry method I'd recommend everyone to at least try for most circumstances is one that's considered 'the standard' by pretty much everyone I know of who's seriously worth listening to.  You attach to the outboard side of your stock right at the back, then inboard on the handguard wherever suits but generally about as far forward as possible; then route the sling over your dominant shoulder and under your off-side arm pit.  Best depiction I could find is here:

https://reconbrothers.com/training/tactical-gun-sling-setup/

I like a 1-point attach at the stock base for indoor only games sometimes, but that's because indoor airsoft is very much getting in to the realms of a sport and is extra far removed from almost anything that'd probably happen in real life.

I’ve used pretty much all of the different sling types around, and easily the best across every size of gun I have is the adjustable two point sling.

Back in the day I used to like a three point, but the flexibility it gives has been matched by the adjustable sling without any of the faff.  For those who like the flexibility of a single point sling an adjustable sling can be loosened to let the gun move around a lot in awkward or tight environments, but if dropped doesn’t turn into the Nut Puncher 3000 like a single point does.  Equally, if you want to tighten it up for more stability (or being restrained uncomfortably is your vibe) you can do really easily and quickly.

I use the Ferro Concepts slingster, but anything that gets close to the design is a good shout.

Edited by Duff Beer

2 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

@LzChase You attach to the outboard side of your stock right at the back, then inboard on the handguard wherever suits but generally about as far forward as possible; then route the sling over your dominant shoulder and under your off-side arm pit.

Yep, this is exactly how I run my slings. I have a couple of Blue Force Gear VCAS and a Ferro Slingster. The Vickers slings are superb and ones I use most. The Slingster is good too, but I prefer the adjustment of the BFG as it seems more rugged.

Three-point slings just seem outdated, and the issued SA80 slings are dogshit. Fucking around trying to clip them back up was an utter nause, especially in the rain. 

18 minutes ago, C-Diddy said:

and the issued SA80 slings are dogshit. Fucking around trying to clip them back up was an utter nause, especially in the rain.

Aye, but... what about the realism?

Nah, 1 point sling all the way! None of this wierd gun bondage faffery. 

And I can just drop my rifle, it swooshes down to my side like a proper gucci smooth operator.

Apart from the time I forgot I had lent the sling to someone else and wasnt wearing one and just dropped it straight on the concrete ground and everyone just stared at me like I was some kind of mad man... BUT other than that it looks proper cool like.

• Supporters
16 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

2 point all day

2 hours ago, Tiercel said:

1 point sling all the way!

If only there were some sort of solution that can give the benefits of both. 🤔

... and also give you something to fiddle with while you're kicking your heels in the spawn point for 10 minutes after "Let's go, last chance or we start without you" has been shouted.

13 hours ago, C-Diddy said:

Fucking around trying to clip them back up was an utter nause, especially in the rain. 

Ran one on my C8 last weekend, and genuinely there was a point where I was kneeling there trying to clip the damn thing back together thinking "why did I not just put the slingster on it.."

Slingster ftw 👍🏼

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.