Which gnu gnext? My GBBR love affair must continue

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Now the VFC HK416 had cemented its place as my favourite toy, and I have reasonably high hopes of being gainfully employed again in the near future, my thoughts turn inevitably to how I can metaphorically piss my first new bit of dosh up the wall...

My current list of candidates vary from "small, compact and relatively cheap"... To "long and unwieldy and stupidly expensive"

VFC or TM MP7

Available new or used at sensible prices, would make a very good CQB companion to my 416.  I do really like the MP7 platform, used it quite a bit in the Battlefield 4 game.

VFC SIG Rattler

New, looks good, no clue about long term reliability, obviously.  Could potentially share magazines with my 416 (the V3 Stanag style.  Have heard those mags have got 'issues' though)

VFC HK53

Scratches my long term MP5 itch with the added benefit of the AR style mags fitting in my existing pouches.  Looks awesome

VFC MP5 

... the same with the downside of need a new rig to carry the pouches... But could source this gun 'used' to fund that.

VFC LAR (FAL)

OH GOOD LORD GIVE ME THIS GUN NOW

Sorry, what I meant to say was - Ideally I'd like a proper SLR replica, but it looks fantastic even so.  I fired the SLR as a cadet and loved it.  Gives me a fizz in my loins

VFC G3

I like long battle rifles it seems, must be compensating for something...

TM MWS 

Probably the sensible option in terms of long term reliability, best performance of of the box...? Best performance once the autumn sets in, I'm sure.

I'd probably go for the CQB version... Need to research further.

TM AKX

I have too many M4 style guns, this would perhaps be the sensible alternative to the MWS just for that reason.  I do love a good AK, and given this will let me mount an optic easily, it has extra appeal

WE L85 

The other gun I have a life-long fascination with is the SA80, right back to when it was still in 4.85mm calibre (and looked very svelte as the XL60).  I know very little about this particular model as yet, not done my due diligence, it might be a load of shite 😋

Open to thoughts on all these, and suggestions for others, as this is very much the beginning of my GBBR  journey.  I know zilch about other manufacturers tbh!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Ive got the Umarex (VFC?) MP7 and its awesome. I regularly run it in the woods it's got plenty of range . Also have a WE L85 which is fun , but tbh I find the bulpup thing a bit awkward as I'm used to mags being furyher forward. 

TM vs. VFC MP7:

TM is 90% of the real deal's size meanwhile VFC is 1:1. Biggest issue is that the whole gun is polymer and that recoil constantly bashes against the rear. Altough you can buy some aftermarket stock adapters and stocks to make it more rigid (which I did). But at that point you spent close to 400 pounds just on the gun...(if new)

Internally vfc has been made to run it on gg Marui should be run on duster at least on paper. But I bet most people run their TM on gg anyway and having minimal amount of issues except usual wear and tear like broken nozzle but that's airsoft for you.

VFC Rattler/MPX:

Both are sexy plus you don't see them that often but there is minimal amount of info about them. Watched every yt review available and they seem solid internally but every gun is fine out of the box and longevity is a different topic. They are just too new to able to form an opinion.

VFC MP5:

Never had one but according to other people internals are made of out chocolate easily braking charging handle etc. New gen. may be better but who knows?

VFC HK53:

Too new buy it on your own risk. 

TM MWS:

Never had one but it seems the king of all GBBR M4's. GHK used to be a serious competitor but since QC issues no one would recommend them.

TM AKX:

It's an just TM AKM with modern furniture. Personally I wouldn't pay almost 200 pounds more for it but it's your money and value is subjective.

Edited by Krisz

As the owner of a G3 and FAL I can only say, get the FAL over the G3.  Both are excellent but the FAL edges it

1 hour ago, EvilMonkee said:

As the owner of a G3 and FAL I can only say, get the FAL over the G3.  Both are excellent but the FAL edges it

I feel it's important we cut out all the middlemen (those pesky retailers), and the waiting for my next pay day (whenever that might be), and you should just bring them both round to my house so I can extensively test them. 

For the next 10 or 12 years perhaps?

22 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I feel it's important we cut out all the middlemen (those pesky retailers), and the waiting for my next pay day (whenever that might be), and you should just bring them both round to my house so I can extensively test them. 

For the next 10 or 12 years perhaps?

Sorry dude, GBBR are my passion, you have more hope of Scarlett Johanssen popping over to give you a quick BJ.  

I’ve spoken about the VFC MP7 ad nauseam, but suffice to say I love mine.  There are a couple of bits to watch out for; the stock catch WILL fail so buy the Crusader Steel one immediately, and watch out for the tiny grub screws on the selector switches and bolt release.

Mine’s had about 20k rounds through it (which with 40rnd mags is a lot) and with the exception of the stock catch has run like clockwork.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The words "I fricking love it" spring unbidden to my lips 😋

Now I've never had a chance to have a pop with an MWS, so I'm going by the fact that a couple of respectable reviews I've read have put the MWS ahead in the pecking order.  I'm inclined to believe them, especially if you want to mag dump (but I doubt in real game play you'll even do more than briefly burst fire the gun, so that's no real difference)

If it's more accurate then that's the thing to have... My VFC is no laser gun. I've still pulled off some cool shots at range though.  I suspect most GBBR's aren't all that consistent or accurate, but damn they're fun.  Could I have got more hits with an MWS?  Quite possibly? I'd love to find out, maybe one day I'll buy one.

But an MWS will cost a chunk more money to buy used.  I got my VFC at a very decent price and I'm delighted with it 🤗

Amusing story from my last gameday. I was walking back to the safe zone at the end.  Two guys in front of me were talking about the different gats they'd seen through the day... "Gas blowback is just a flex", at which point I adopted my best He-Man voice and called out "I AM THE FLEXOR"

I wasn't embarrassed or annoyed, I was PROUD 😅

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Just go buy a MWS. get it out your system as they are really good. Just make sure you buy a Bavtac 140% nozzle return spring for when the TM one breaks (and it will eventually).

Once you get over the MWS start to have a look at something a bit more exotic like the GHK Sig 552/553 or the Archwick ACP9K (on pre-order now it seems). I've been running mostly gas guns this summer and if you find yourself at UCAP vendetta then feel free to ask for a shot of the GHK 552, ACP9K G, TM AKX or whatever I've decided to try out that day.

10 minutes ago, mightyjebus said:

Once you get over the MWS start to have a look at something a bit more exotic like the GHK Sig 552/553 or the Archwick ACP9K 

Mmmmmmmmm

Sig 553 👌

Mine just arrived two weeks ago, gotta say that I’m mightily impressed with the quality of the build & materials 

Edited by Enid_Puceflange

25 minutes ago, mightyjebus said:

GHK Sig 552/553

"Sold!"

On 14/06/2023 at 21:55, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

By the time this (KWA F90 AUG) comes out, I might have the money saved up yo buy one.

"Sold!"

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

5 hours ago, Haru said:

I prefer the look of the hk but im slowly drifting off to the mws side, that marui magic be doing things. wish tm made a hk416 mws

Pretty sure there's kits for that, but it won't be cheap.

I'd put my vote in for the MWS. I have one as a m16 recce rifle setup and will get a 2nd to make a general purpose, short-barreled carbine. I seriously love the platform.

33 minutes ago, Impulse said:

Pretty sure there's kits for that, but it won't be cheap.

I'd put my vote in for the MWS. I have one as a m16 recce rifle setup and will get a 2nd to make a general purpose, short-barreled carbine. I seriously love the platform.

ouch, yeah i just checked £1500 thats 3 mws'

2 hours ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Mmmmmmmmm

Sig 553 👌

Mine just arrived two weeks ago, gotta say that I’m mightily impressed with the quality of the build & materials 

Yeh, the Sig looks like a sexy bit of kit.

I keep saying that I don't need another gun,  but if I do, it will be a Gbbr. Just not sure what I would get at the moment.

I am deffo gonna get a new pistol, but pistols don't count.

I am now watching videos of the VFC MP5k PDW.

I'm a huge advocate for the MWS, as it's easy to work on, has huge third-party support, and, most importantly, just works like a mo'fo right out of the box, at least in my experience. This is the reason I've just added another to the collection. 

Having said that, it seems like a few other brands are starting to up their GBBR game recently, which can only be a good thing. While I admit to being a bit of a whore for TM, I'm keeping a close eye on Cyma's latest offerings. They're affordable and, if they're anything like their AEGs, are unbeatable for the price. Also looking at VFC, but my only experience with them (one of the OG Umarex Glock 17s) is all a bit meh. They do seem to have improved however. 

For me, gas guns are just that little bit more exciting. They're mechanical instead of electrical, have an element of realism AEGs can't provide, and are just fucking cooler. 

Whichever path you choose, it'll be a great extension of the path you've started.

15 minutes ago, C-Diddy said:

I'm a huge advocate for the MWS, as it's easy to work on, has huge third-party support, and, most importantly, just works like a mo'fo right out of the box, at least in my experience. This is the reason I've just added another to the collection. 

Having said that, it seems like a few other brands are starting to up their GBBR game recently, which can only be a good thing. While I admit to being a bit of a whore for TM, I'm keeping a close eye on Cyma's latest offerings. They're affordable and, if they're anything like their AEGs, are unbeatable for the price. Also looking at VFC, but my only experience with them (one of the OG Umarex Glock 17s) is all a bit meh. They do seem to have improved however. 

For me, gas guns are just that little bit more exciting. They're mechanical instead of electrical, have an element of realism AEGs can't provide, and are just fucking cooler. 

Whichever path you choose, it'll be a great extension of the path you've started.

im about done with opening gearboxes and fiddling around with wires and plugs, fragile little things.

I hear you...not that I'm brave enough to even open a gearbox! I do keep a couple of AEGs, including my absolute workhorse TM 416, as back-up.

I definitely recommend always  having an AEG to hand, just in case, but they can't compete on the joygasm scale for user experience 😂

Following with interest as I’m on the fence between a TM MP7 and an MWS. 
Had a pair of GBBR WE G36’s years ago and they were a lot of fun, but the parts support wasn’t there and even with an NPAS fitted I couldn’t seem to get the fps below 400 😂

The only thing stopped me atm is having to buy new magazines, just managed to streamline my collection to exclusively NGRS which has saved on having to have loads of different magazines!

That said, one of the guys on my team has an MWS and absolutely loves it. 

MWS is the one.

MP7 is amazing but being the wrong size and having a few known issues (sleepy trigger, cracked receiver) it’s just not quite as good.

If Marui decide to update it and fix the issues / get it to the correct scale i’d be all over it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.