Airsoft Forums UK

Glass BBs?!

Anyone come across these before?  I assume (hope) that they are actually plastic.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174606728485?hash=item28a75f3d25:g:y7QAAOSwJ4hY-Ge5

Glass is an extremely complicated material, I imagine that .28g glass BBs are a possibility.   

4.Made of high strenth/tough materials.

That suggests 'plastic' to me.  With some bad typo checking!

So hopefully they originally had 'transparent' and it got chucked out of whatever translator they used as 'glass'

They could be either:

Made of glass

Hard material for breaking glass targets (windows etc)

(Note that the advert does not specify airsoft - it’s selling ball bearings.

On a legal basis in the UK it’s a matter of what you do with them

In an airsoft gun my interpretation is that if you load one of these then you now have an air rifle / air weapon - and it might be an offensive weapon

For a paintball gun I know that if you load something like this then you have either an air weapon or an offensive weapon.  

The Home Office recognise gelatine paintballs and First Stirke brand ‘shaped projectiles’ as legitimate for paintball (as a retailer paid for the approvals testing of First Strike in the UK)

There are many things like this sold around the world in paintball sizes marketed as less than lethal / home defence   Which is illegal here in the UK (other than authorised police and military use) 

The eBay seller is in China so it’s a matter of eBays worldwide rules and whether they are targeting the UK for eBay.co.uk for its rules

The easy solution is to just report to eBay.co.uk

One of my buddies bought a bundle and included with it was a carton of glass bb’s!!

they do exist!

They were quickly dispatched to the bin! But horrifying to think of the consequences of a shattered glass bb after a mash mask/ eye pro impact 🤬

Phoenix feather airsoft has a video from a few years back at an event, someone was caught using glass bbs because someone got shot and it shattered on his mask causing his face got cut up underneath. 

I messaged the seller, asking "please don't sell this to people who might use it at an airsoft game"...

New message from: airsoft987 (7,004Green Star)

ok.
This item was ended.

Phew!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters

Could well be glass as glass ball bearing do appear from time to time .

Wasn't there an incident years ago where someone had been using glass bbs and some vehicles ended up with broken windscreens? IIRC for ages afterwards the forums were full of debates about how dangerous they were

Edit: it was bioval bbb max

Edited by Cannonfodder

15 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Anyone come across these before?  I assume (hope) that they are actually plastic.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174606728485?hash=item28a75f3d25:g:y7QAAOSwJ4hY-Ge5

Glass is an extremely complicated material, I imagine that .28g glass BBs are a possibility.   

The law states...
Police and Crime Act 2017

(5)After section 57 insert—

57AException for airsoft guns

(1)An “airsoft gun” is not to be regarded as a firearm for the purposes of this Act.

(2)An “airsoft gun” is a barrelled weapon of any description which—

(a)is designed to discharge only a small plastic missile (whether or not it is also capable of discharging any other kind of missile), and

(b)is not capable of discharging a missile (of any kind) with kinetic energy at the muzzle of the weapon that exceeds the permitted level.

(3)“Small plastic missile” means a missile that—

(a)is made wholly or partly from plastics,

(b)is spherical, and

(c)does not exceed 8 millimetres in diameter.

(4)The permitted kinetic energy level is—

(a)in the case of a weapon which is capable of discharging two or more missiles successively without repeated pressure on the trigger, 1.3 joules;

(b)in any other case, 2.5 joules.