Best GBB realistic metal pistol to use stock

TMPI

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

Basically just looking for a nice GBB pistol that will perform well enough stock, is mostly metal and is realistic looking.

Don't mind spening £100-150 on one, but can be cheaper too.

Alot of posts like this recommend that TM hi-cappa but as its polymer and i'm not to much a fan of its looks, i think i'd rather something else.

I'm not lkooking to main the pistol, just as a fun backup, but as it seems you can get a really nice pistol for that price range i thought i'd ask if there are any UK stand outs atm.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

You're pretty much looking at the KWC 1911s like this: https://www.bullseyecountrysport.co.uk/cybergun-colt-rail-1911-kwc--co2-stainless-15812-p.asp

There are several variants around but they're all the same internally. They work on CO2 so they're loud, make nice metal noises, and has decent enough performance. Tolerance and quality control isn't the greatest but you get what you pay for. Pretty much best in slot for a "realistic" metal pistol in this price range.

ASG CZ P-09. Sorted

Edited by MadMole

The two things you want are not available @TMPI unfortunately.

First decide what you mean by “best”.  

Going to extremes, the most accurate looking and feeling toy pistol you can buy will be a full steel, but you’ll need to multiply your budget by 4. It won’t shoot the best though.

Be aware most modern pistols, real and airsoft, have polymer frames.

Most metal airsoft pistols are made of zinc alloy. Often called pot metal, the zinc is mixed with aluminium to make the slides heavier, and easier to cast. It also makes them brittle, they break much easier than a polymer pistol

At the other end of the scale, almost anything by TM. It will shoot brilliantly, but it will be polymer.

I’ve been through dozens and dozens, and easily the best groupings, range gas efficiency and legal fps limit is the TM FNX. It’s all polymer.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, AK47frizzle said:

You're pretty much looking at the KWC 1911s like this: https://www.bullseyecountrysport.co.uk/cybergun-colt-rail-1911-kwc--co2-stainless-15812-p.asp

There are several variants around but they're all the same internally. They work on CO2 so they're loud, make nice metal noises, and has decent enough performance. Tolerance and quality control isn't the greatest but you get what you pay for. Pretty much best in slot for a "realistic" metal pistol in this price range.

whilst i won't deny that pistol fits the op's requirements, looks nice and feels good to shoot it does have a bit of a caveat of when it works

in the long run these things inevitably trend towards venting gas.

personally, if it's just for a holster filler/occasional pot shot then the WE stuff is decent enough for that purpose (depending on model ofc, the luger isn't even decent for that).

op- what particular style of pistol takes your fancy? as that might help folk narrow in on a specific model.

We Glock series I would recommend.  I used my WE G23 for a long time before I changed the inner barrel and hop unit with a Maple Leaf.  To be honest it was not really needed, but why not!

We m9. Mines scratched and rattly but cracks of nicely and has a good heft to it. And it shoots pretty darn good as well.

From my experience I would caution on Co2 pistols (magazines)

While they do have good punch, even in winter, for me the downsides out weigh the benefits.

- More expensive to run.

- Can't top-up gas so you may run out at an inconvenient time.

- Faults get expensive as you will waste a bulb every time if there is a leak.

Out of curiosity looking at reviews of the TM FNX it does look good.

Anyone had experience of the VFC or Umarex versions?

Edited by EDcase

2 hours ago, Shamal said:

We m9. Mines scratched and rattly but cracks of nicely and has a good heft to it. And it shoots pretty darn good as well.

My WE M9 v2 has the smoothest slide action of all my pistols.  It does perform well too 👍

While I certainly understand how a plastic slide is lighter and just as strong as the pot metal ones, I still like the heft of full metal 😉

Edited by EDcase

19 hours ago, AK47frizzle said:

Hmm ok, I like the look of this gun, is KWC the best brand to go with for the 1911?

18 hours ago, MadMole said:

ASG CZ P-09. Sorted

My friend actually has this gun, I liked it alot and its the reason started looking for a pistol myself, even though i do like it I would like to look for other options as to not just copy him. But will keep it in mind.

17 hours ago, Tackle said:

you-shut-your-dirty-whore-mouth.jpg

this made me laugh!

16 hours ago, sp00n said:

I have always had luck with my WE g18c …. Just don’t full auto like a loon and they are fine

thanks wil have a look at it.

15 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Going to extremes, the most accurate looking and feeling toy pistol you can buy will be a full steel, but you’ll need to multiply your budget by 4. It won’t shoot the best though.

Most metal airsoft pistols are made of zinc alloy. Often called pot metal, the zinc is mixed with aluminium to make the slides heavier, and easier to cast. It also makes them brittle, they break much easier than a polymer pistol

At the other end of the scale, almost anything by TM. It will shoot brilliantly, but it will be polymer.

I’ve been through dozens and dozens, and easily the best groupings, range gas efficiency and legal fps limit is the TM FNX. It’s all polymer.

Oh ok, that makes sense. Thanks for posting this, a few things i didn't realise.

By best, i just ment are there any pistols in this price range that are metal and realistic looking that are stand outs. I don't care the gun is shooting within 10% of another gun, i'm not that interested in performance, i would care more about the look and feel of the gun, but if there is something that is far better then the others i would like to know about it. but i suppose its not that simple (which i should have known)

Maybe I will have a think about how much i want a metal pistol, maybe i'll look for something with just a metal slide.

TM FNX, i have heard alot of people rave about these, will ahve another look at it.

10 hours ago, EDcase said:

Yup, I had one. About as good as a WE G17, with stupidly expensive mags

17 minutes ago, TMPI said:

TM FNX, i have heard alot of people rave about these, will ahve another look at it.

The Cybergun FNX by VFC feels better in the hand if you’re not worried about performance, but spare mags are expensive

13 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

whilst i won't deny that pistol fits the op's requirements, looks nice and feels good to shoot it does have a bit of a caveat of when it works

in the long run these things inevitably trend towards venting gas.

personally, if it's just for a holster filler/occasional pot shot then the WE stuff is decent enough for that purpose (depending on model ofc, the luger isn't even decent for that).

op- what particular style of pistol takes your fancy? as that might help folk narrow in on a specific model.

I would very much like something that is reliable and won't require any mods or much work to keep it functional, this won't be a heavily used pistol, just for the odd cqb moments and when it takes my fancy.

Looks wise, i really like the look of the ASG CZ P-09 and the 1911. I would like the gun to have a traditional looking trigger, not like the hicapa trigger which is that blocky thing. something based off a real steel gun, nothing to large or with a silencer, just a basic looking pistol would be nice.

13 hours ago, Sneaky said:

We Glock series I would recommend.  I used my WE G23 for a long time before I changed the inner barrel and hop unit with a Maple Leaf.  To be honest it was not really needed, but why not!

Ok thanks, i'm not entirely sure i like the look of the Glock, still undecided on that front, but will keep this in mind.

12 hours ago, Shamal said:

Haven't heard of this one, but will check it out, something with a nice heft and some crack on the blow back sound ideal!

11 hours ago, EDcase said:

From my experience I would caution on Co2 pistols (magazines)

While they do have good punch, even in winter, for me the downsides out weigh the benefits.

- More expensive to run.

- Can't top-up gas so you may run out at an inconvenient time.

- Faults get expensive as you will waste a bulb every time if there is a leak.

ok fair points, i would like the kick of Co2 and i suppose i'm not planning on using it so much that the expense would get in the way, but will keep in mind.

I've not heard good things about VFC in the UK, would be interested to hear what people think of the VFC/Umarex FNX.

10 hours ago, EDcase said:

My WE M9 v2 has the smoothest slide action of all my pistols.  It does perform well too 👍

While I certainly understand how a plastic slide is lighter and just as strong as the pot metal ones, I still like the heft of full metal 😉

haha yeah metal does give it a nice feel. this is the second recommendation for the WE M9 so will def have a closer look at that.

Ok guys, after some searching, I think i'm going to go with a M9 style pistol.

I really like the look of some of the WE M9s i have seen, but which one should I get, there seems to be a few different versions avaliable. does anyone know the differences?

Also, I noticed there are a fair few TM M9s as well, shouldl i consider them too, or would WE be better for the M9?

20 minutes ago, TMPI said:

Also, I noticed there are a fair few TM M9s as well, shouldl i consider them too, or would WE be better for the M9?

Not had any first hand knowledge of the TM but as its a tm then should be a good gun.

I guess it's down to budget really. 🤔

• Supporters
1 hour ago, TMPI said:

this made me laugh!

Thanks, always my intention 😜

& Welcome to the forum, & yep I am a TM hi-capa fanboi, but I do own other brand pistols, what I would say is if your in to Airsoft "for the long haul" so to speak, decide what style of pistol you like, then see if TM make one, if they do, BUY IT, you'll never regret it, & no matter what catches your eye in the future that you blow your wad on, you'll do so safe in the knowledge that if all else fails, you can go back to your trusty TM, who'll always have your back👍

• Supporters
2 hours ago, TMPI said:

I would very much like something that is reliable and won't require any mods or much work to keep it functional, this won't be a heavily used pistol, just for the odd cqb moments and when it takes my fancy.

green gas is the order of the day then. just keep the mags gassed, odd dash of silicone and jobs a goodun

it won't work as well in colder weather (guns with metal slides like WE will suffer before guns with lighter slides/better qc like tm) but as a holster filler just fine.

Guest Mr. No_Face
2 hours ago, TMPI said:

Ok guys, after some searching, I think i'm going to go with a M9 style pistol.

I really like the look of some of the WE M9s i have seen, but which one should I get, there seems to be a few different versions avaliable. does anyone know the differences?

1.1 scale M9's have really chunky pistol grips. That's something you might want to consider before buying one. Might be super uncomfortable when it comes to holding it with gloves on. I've always used my KWA PTP tactical until it started acting up. It's a nice full metal pistol with some good weight to it. Also takes Green or Red Gas.

GLOVES.jpg.6ee4cf917e3518e0792417181dfd08bc.jpg

Also if you familiar with airsoft youtube channels it's the side arm Dutch the hooligan uses.

2 hours ago, Shamal said:

Not had any first hand knowledge of the TM but as its a tm then should be a good gun.

I guess it's down to budget really. 🤔

there are two versions of the M9 one has a fixed-ish hop and one has adjustable hop you want the adjustable hop. the WEs are copies-ish of the TMs. performance wise the TM are superior but have plastic slides. 

Can I suggest you have a think about what else you may want to run with the pistol, such as torches, holsters etc etc?

I have the ASG CZ P-09 and whilst I love the pistol itself, finding other stuff is a nightmare and the base plates on the mags are like glass and almost impossible to find replacements unless you print them yourself.

I run c02 mags and whilst there has been no issues skirmishing it for over a year, yesterday it ran hot yesterday and I couldn't use it all.

Edited by Panama

22 hours ago, Davegolf said:

I love my P-09 on C02, give your floating valve a tweak to drop the FPS a nads and your good.

Cheers Dave, I will look into that, I didn't realize there maybe an option to do that.

On 07/08/2021 at 20:59, rocketdogbert said:

Don’t agree that metal slide guns break easier than polymer ones, certainly not my experience. 

On 07/08/2021 at 15:48, TMPI said:

Hi guys,

Basically just looking for a nice GBB pistol that will perform well enough stock, is mostly metal and is realistic looking.

Don't mind spening £100-150 on one, but can be cheaper too.

Alot of posts like this recommend that TM hi-cappa but as its polymer and i'm not to much a fan of its looks, i think i'd rather something else.

I'm not lkooking to main the pistol, just as a fun backup, but as it seems you can get a really nice pistol for that price range i thought i'd ask if there are any UK stand outs atm.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

I have no personal experience with one but from negative airsofts review of the it seems like the VFC HK45 CT may be exactly what you're after.

Otherwise if you can find one then the KWA G19 is an amazing piece of kit and generally extremely cheap second hand,  i do have the KWA and stock it is decent but not amazing however there is a hop upgrade available for it that makes it significantly better at not much extra cost its called the maple leaf evo 3 and it makes a huge difference.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.