Best Anti-fog Eye Protection 2021?

BoneyT

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know it's been asked a million times before, but new products are always coming to the marketplace and I want to know what the current best anti-fog eye protection is. I have been playing a while now and have tried a number of options. My latest are ESS British Army Revision goggles and when used with Revision anti-fog wipes are pretty good, but they still get quite "watery" from the middle of the day onwards and are becoming a bit frustrating.

What would you top guys and gals recommend?

Thanks!

Interesting! Never heard of these, I shall check them out. Cheers!!

• Supporters

I haven't found anything better than Revision wipes.  I've tested them side-by-side against Cat Crap, Rain-X anti-fog, shaving foam, washing up liquid, spit, and potato. Yes, potato.

raw

The Revision wipes are literally the clear winner.

However, as you've found, they don't actually remove moisture.  For that you need ventilation and I'm a big fan of fans.  Even the tiny fans in FMA goggles (or more expensive versions) do shift a bit of air, especially if you over-volt them.

Best results I've got are from 12V blowers, often sold as 3D printer fans, run off a spare 7.4V lipo, and a piece of tubing to get the air inside the goggles.  Or ExFog, if you want the commercial alternative.

7 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

For that you need ventilation and I'm a big fan of fans.  Even the tiny fans in FMA goggles (or more expensive versions) do shift a bit of air, especially if you over-volt them.

Best results I've got are from 12V blowers, often sold as 3D printer fans, run off a spare 7.4V lipo, and a piece of tubing to get the air inside the goggles.  Or ExFog, if you want the commercial alternative.

Yeh - I've just ordered a 25mm fan to sit on top of my paintball goggles after my (normally pretty good) Fogtech DX wipes completely failed to deal with the moisture last week. Made a game in the afternoon nearly unplayable.

I'm planning a 50mm blower setup to sit on the back of my son's bump helmet (exfog style) with a tube to the goggles, but I don't personally run a helmet so a smaller fan on top of the goggle frame is the best option for me.

Edited by Speedbird_666

54 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I built something similar, ran in in the back panel and a switch on my right shoulder.

I used a bigger blower rather than 2 micros as I ordered the wrong one.

But it works when paired with the revision wipes. The next revision i will make to them is to use some more rigid tubing to stop them collapsing on themselves, and then find a way to keep the air pressure up

Edited by rj1986

Here’s a fun fact it doesn’t need to be cold air to stop the fog just any form of air movement - admittedly sticking the blower/fan over a kettle would fog up ya lens :P

Had 5 mins spare so done some finkin' before tea.

Could somebody come up wiv a system like a car windscreen but in reverse.

No,no come back....

I figure some micro wiper blades on the inside of the goggles would sweep the condensation to the sides and it would drip out of the bottom? 

Yeah? No? I think it has legs....

Regards 

Genius!!! Great idea! They say genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration...........

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Had 5 mins spare so done some finkin' before tea.

Could somebody come up wiv a system like a car windscreen but in reverse.

No,no come back....

I figure some micro wiper blades on the inside of the goggles would sweep the condensation to the sides and it would drip out of the bottom? 

Yeah? No? I think it has legs....

Regards 

i'd be more interested in the ford system for antifog with the tiny wires to heat up the lenses.

i vaguely recall seeing some images from shot show or somesuch for a product that worked like that, but i can't remember who made them and no idea if they're still in business.

there was also someone on here looking at doing it DIY, going all fancy n shit with moisture sensors.

2 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i'd be more interested in the ford system for antifog with the tiny wires to heat up the lenses.

i vaguely recall seeing some images from shot show or somesuch for a product that worked like that, but i can't remember who made them and no idea if they're still in business.

there was also someone on here looking at doing it DIY, going all fancy n shit with moisture sensors.

That would work 👍

Easist way to do that would be magnetic rubber wiper inside your goggles with a small magnet on your glove that you could just wipe from the outside without taking the goggles off.

Alternativily you can do a railed wiper with the control arm on the outside at the top of the lens.

Haha you lot are nuttier than a squirrel who has just robbed the kp factory! Lol

😉

Regards 

1 hour ago, Shamal said:

That would work 👍

only issue is that u can see the wires…. Was sooooooo off putting when I had a Ford a few years back BUT I do miss the lack of scrapage on those frosty mornings 

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

there was also someone on here looking at doing it DIY, going all fancy n shit with moisture sensors

I've looked into it and did the sums on the resistance wire. I reckon a couple of Watts should be sufficient and you'd get several hours out of a decent 18650 cell.  The wires shouldn't be that visible up close, less than mesh.

Fortunately (or unforunately, for science) my dual pane, fan, and Revision wipes have rendered it unncessary, but it's on my list to try anyway at some point, just for kicks.

You know that film they have over cameras at the motor racing where it scrolls so never gets dirty? That, but on the inside of goggles.

Seriously though, it’s all about airflow, but there won’t be much of that when you’re hiding out behind a barricade taking fire from all sides. So that leaves us with forced air or heated lenses.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, SheriffHD said:

Easist way to do that would be magnetic rubber wiper inside your goggles with a small magnet on your glove that you could just wipe from the outside without taking the goggles off.

Alternativily you can do a railed wiper with the control arm on the outside at the top of the lens.

Without a fixed runner system and a fair bit of pressure against the lens all this’ll do is smear it across the lens . 

10 hours ago, BoneyT said:

they still get quite "watery" from the middle of the day onwards and are becoming a bit frustrating.

Sounds a bit simple but I just re-wipe mine after every other game , no problems with them and I've got inserts in mine as well so I’ve got three surfaces too fog up . 

10 hours ago, SheriffHD said:

You can buy them from pets shops for cleaning fish tanks.   As said above, lack of pressure hinders them.

When I rode bikes for a living, I often advised the new lads to wipe the inside of their visor with a raw onion.  

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

When I rode bikes for a living, I often advised the new lads to wipe the inside of their visor with a raw onion.

Before going to collect some left handed hammers and tartan paint? 

Poh-tay-toes I'd heard of, but onions are a new one.

It was pinlock visor inserts that convinced me that dual-paning airsoft goggles is the way to go, and the way to go it is.  I'd actually recommend that as the default anti-fog strategy, given how cheap and easy it is to do to any goggles.

A guy at our local site uses a magnet system that works very well.

Its basically 2 small (about 3mm) thin magnets and on the one inside the goggles there is a small piece of cloth stuck to the magnet. He swipes the outer magnet over the lense, the inner one with cloth clears the moisture.

Everyone's been bugging him to get more, but apparently he got them stateside and importing would be prohibitively expensive. But maybe some neodymium rare earth magnets and microfiber cloth would work.

Me i just use fogstop and it does the trick

37 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Before going to collect some left handed hammers and tartan paint

If you've got a shopping list going can you get me a bag of sparks for the grinder and a bucket of steam for the kettle.Ta👍

17 minutes ago, heroshark said:

I have the secret of 100% no fog polycarbonate eyepro. I just keep it to myself to keep up sales.

Yeah yeah. Lol

• Supporters
1 hour ago, heroshark said:

I have the secret of 100% no fog polycarbonate eyepro. I just keep it to myself to keep up sales.

You bounder ! Your as bad as all the big pharmaceutical companies hiding all the cures for the common cold ! 

• Supporters

Good news, my hat is fully charged!

image.thumb.png.4c5c845dc4ff9cf5a09dcb569b7f51ec.png

I've just thrown that unit together from a 12V fan[1], a small 7.4V lipo with some kydex wrapped round it to make a holder, a switch, and some silicone tubing, all liberally[2] hot-melted together and finished off with Poundand's very best rattlecan black.

[1] This is running much quieter off of 7.4V than the visually identical one sealed in to my Space Soldier helmet.  I wonder if that might be a 5V unit.

[2] Liberally in the sense of sloppily, lazily and without any care or pride in my work.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.