Quick Questions & Simple Answers.

Finius
Message added by Jedi_Master

When you ask a question please do so using red writing that way, it's easy for people scrolling down to find a question.

When you answer a question, please quote (this will make sure the person gets a notification and they can click on it to open your answer straight away and it also lets people answer questions from a while ago if there have been new questions since then) the question and reply in blue writing so we know it's an answer.

If you feel a question simply cannot be answered in one brief post, or is open for a lot of debate, create a topic to discuss it, and link the topic in your answer so everyone can find it.

authenticity! This is why I have been very picky about finding the right ICS L85 to match my loadout. It must remain externally authentic which could be L85A1 or A2 since I personally transported my squadrons weapons to Warminster for refurb/upgrade. No rails, ACOG, vertical foregrips etc because they were not in service when I served

Outside of cutting down/changing the spring are there any good methods to lower the FPS of a spring sniper rifle? It's around 515 FPS currently.

wide bore barrel, or shorter barrel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporters

wide bore barrel, or shorter barrel.

To lose 20-25FPS though... Hmmmm!

A wide bore barrel needs a whole new approach, because you are going to need a stiffer spring to maintain BB velocity, but to be billy badass as a sniper you must absolutely minimise any loss of compression so that your spring choice will be the lightest it can be, so that cocking it while keeping eyes on target does not become difficult/impossible, although some rifles' cocking handle design and position, relative to how you shoulder them, makes this easier as does sheer arm strength. For eg, these days my arms are pretty weak, but at last try I could cycle a Well L96 with a 150 spring without losing my sight picture, yet even though I am far more practised with my SVD with a 135 spring (which has an 'extended' cocking handle), I have to reacquire my target after every reload - my arms are long and the geometry is such that I just can't quite complete the last bit of bolt travel to lock it without shifting my body position (I did try adding 40mm to the length of the stock but it hasn't helped enough - I was going to try adding more but I've decided to try modding a CO2 kit to deliver a UK site legal FPS 1st). This may well result in needing to replace many more parts, possibly even the entire compression chain...

Cutting down a barrel is a possible alternative, however to lose that much you will need to be quite brutal and of course if you can't re-crown it properly, you'll have ruined it. Bear in mind also that a good quality long barrel can do a fair bit to even out instabilities in BB spin introduced during hop up by sub-prime parts/poor design, so lopping a 3rd off that length may impact accuracy even if it is re-crowned well.

I would suggest that the numbers are working for you for a simple approach - drop to a spring designation 10 below that which you are already using, which ought to get you to about 485FPS and then use washers on the spring guide to pre-tension the spring until you are getting about 494FPS at room temp and average humidity. That will leave you enough wiggle room for chrono variance and differences in heat and humidity on site.

planning to go hiking in machu pichu next year, and all of my boots are either cold or all weather ones, which'll probably overheat my feet, anyone got any recommendations for summer boots preferably full length, if at all possible somewhere that sells them in kent so I can try on sizes (size 9 in length, but 12 in width, tends to cause issues with online bought ones)

• Supporters

planning to go hiking in machu pichu next year, and all of my boots are either cold or all weather ones, which'll probably overheat my feet, anyone got any recommendations for summer boots preferably full length, if at all possible somewhere that sells them in kent so I can try on sizes (size 9 in length, but 12 in width, tends to cause issues with online bought ones)

Try the Blacks website you will want either lightweight hiking boots or trail running shoes. Try the northface stuff.

• Supporters

There's a Go Outdoors in Canterbury. Personally I rather like the Merrell Moab mid or whatever their latest incarnation of that is. I have very wide feet too!

I am also hobbit-footed and found decent summer hiking shoes that fittest best in Decathlon, having tried a few sports shops.

Where in kent are you? If you are in north kent you have kentons in Dartford, Platoon Stores in Rochester (also sell Airsoft bits ;) ), Cotswalds at Notcutts in Maidstone.

• Supporters

Outside of cutting down/changing the spring are there any good methods to lower the FPS of a spring sniper rifle? It's around 515 FPS currently.

Daft reply & I presume it is a bolt action sniper (so short stroke won't work here duck)

But on the odd chance that the spring might be irregular type - fit it ar$e about face ?

(heck if spring change is easy peasy - it "might" be worth a short anyway "just in case")

I know in aeg's fitting a spring ar$e about face can result in a drop of expected fps

• Supporters

if opening it up he may as well fit the right spring for the fps he wants.... they only £10 ish.

Absolute agree - if he has one to hand or arriving soon

Think Ian's idea of slightly lower spring and add spacer/washers if needed is best

Was just saying if he rips her open to consider cutting coil(s)

might be worth a check/try spring in reverse & may drop fps

(later on if spring loses tension refit spring correctly etc....)

But yes correct spring is best option if available

• Supporters

if opening it up he may as well fit the right spring for the fps he wants.... they only £10 ish.

Yeah this is for a mate, I think he's resorted to firing a load of rounds through it as one chrono read 515 and another 500. Issue being the one reading 515 was on a game site lol.

• Supporters

I need a stock for this gun http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/vfc-umarex-hk416-aeg-airsoft-gun that fits these http://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-2600mah-25c-continuous-discharge-cranestock-lipo-battery.html ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY HIGHLY APPRECIATED. (no i dont want to change batteries)

Try here its the place I always use for hard to find bits.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=5a_0VcD2M-Kq8weI37PoBg&gws_rd=ssl

Hope this helps. ☺

• Supporters

Crane stock won't catch on the holes on the buffer tube and I cant adjust it... What do I do? Here is the stock:http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft/asg-crane-stock-m4-m15-black.htm#.VfwugPlVhBd Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Change the buffer tube or swap the pin from the original stock with the one in the ASG stock (if it will fit).

• Supporters

How would I change the pin... I'm new.

pin in old crane - held on with a tiny allen key underneath usually

and the hole on top to withdraw or hold the bolt/spring

swap over pin from old stock to new stock I think is what Lozart means

(if ya betteries now fit in that)

What he said. If you honestly think that this is beyond your abilities, take it to a shop and ask them to do it for you.