Are teams with red armbands in the disadvantage?

While playing the red team on Sunday and later seeing a picture of myself I was wondering - are teams that have to wear red armbands in the disadvantage compared to players with green armbands?

I’ve got a viper hood and a gun wrap to camouflage myself as much as possible without going full ghillie however that means I have to wear the bands on my arm (full ghillie are allowed to wear it on their ankles). As my viper hood hides the arm bands when I wear them on my upper arm I had to wear them near my wrists.

Probably the worst place you can put them.

What do you think, are red armbands easier to spot than green ones?
Where would you wear the arm bands with a Viper hood?

Me with red armbands (need to do something about the black circle poking out but that is the least of my worries with those red armbands)

IMG_0233.thumb.jpeg.814cb12e08e8ab5e6e11ed426f92b9de.jpeg

Random player with green armbands

IMG_0236.thumb.jpeg.953fa97e688d9794cde04bfcf93f4d10.jpeg 

1ABC2777-4B33-4AB6-9E30-5FF7754A6543.jpeg.d30691f309a43c993135455cdeebe5de.jpeg

Just stick to playing in the land of cuckoo clocks and chocolate!

Or the other team has these armbands.

B0860D64-91C5-496A-870B-89C543407C04.thumb.jpeg.246a864ba5a19f226b9d027beeb714b0.jpeg

Not sure why these feature a symbol?

A bad workman blames his tools.

DE6360F2-62DB-47E2-9F79-6FBD997530DC.gif.b85ef0b13af5539fc2c5fa2fd505c74d.gif

But that’s no way to talk about your colleagues.

Edited by The Waco Kid

I'm sure we have bright pink and bright yellow at our site. So both fairly visible.

I wish more sites would use an arm band on each arm though. It's frustrating being team killed when wearing one arm band because someone can't see what team your on.....despite facing and having your RIF pointed in the baddies direction.

4 hours ago, DanBow said:

At my regular site we only wear one armband but they are worn on opposite arms so if you can't tell what colour it is,  you can tell by which arm its on.

I've seen this done and it was so much better and fairer. 

Also, fuck those people who attach them to their plate carriers so they cant be seen from behind. 

12 minutes ago, Emergencychimps said:

I've seen this done and it was so much better and fairer. 

Also, fuck those people who attach them to their plate carriers so they cant be seen from behind. 

And bush Wookies that put them on their ankles.

4 hours ago, DanBow said:

At my regular site we only wear one armband but they are worn on opposite arms so if you can't tell what colour it is,  you can tell by which arm its on.

I like this idea as it helps ID what team a player is on whether you can see the arm band or not 

18 minutes ago, Emergencychimps said:

I'd put those who put it on their ankle in this group too, no matter how they try to spin it that's trying to hide the armband and is cheating in my opinion. They're usually the loudest to start bitching when shot by friendly fire too

I do agree that it's a bit shitty to have one team using green while the other uses red, switching the green to blue would even things out

Edited by Cannonfodder

Using green armbands at an outdoor site seems wrong as it does confer an advantage for that team; the same, of course, applies to sites that give one team armbands but not the other.

In my opinion, armbands should be worn either on both arms or on different arms by the two teams.

Players who put them on their plate carriers and Bush Wookies who wear them on their ankles are cheating and should be ritually disemboweled.

Red arm bands, i wouldn't say put you at a disadvantage - but orange vs green - very much so! OP - looks like your bands in the pic are orange rather than red?! At my site, there is always a scramble to get the oldest and dirtiest bands when the crate of them comes out!

I think two bands should be the norm. One on each arm; or one on the front, and one on the rear of webbing/plate carrier. As i wear a viper hood fairly regularly, placing them on the front and rear of my chest rig means they don't become hidden by the viper hood - and remain just as visible as if they are on the upper arms i think.

Whilst i have a degree of sympathy with Ghillies putting them on their ankles for cam reasons, I have no qualms in shooting them if, after a reasonable amount of effort, I remain unable to see their bands.... And actually, this is usually mentioned as a viable action during my usual sites briefing.

• Supporters

Woodland I don't mind so much because you more typically know that the badmen are over yonder.

In CQB, I dislike mid-blue or dingy-red versus bright-yellow.  When milliseconds count, it's so much easier to positively identify a target when they're wearing something bright.

And both arms, please, I don't need to be doing the mental gymnastics of inferring a positive from a conditional negative.  This gets even worse when you have unbanded marshals wandering around too.

Of course, a team-kill is a kill. ;) 

I guess you could say that the arm bands are orange but they are for the Red team. Looks like Driver Wood got brand new arm bands as I can’t remember them that bright.

I can understand that just putting one on the front of your plate carrier invites friendly fire but what about front and back?

Or I might have to accidentally drop my arm bands in the mud and walk all over it while trying to find it 😅

42 minutes ago, ParHunter said:

I guess you could say that the arm bands are orange but they are for the Red team. Looks like Driver Wood got brand new arm bands as I can’t remember them that bright.

I can understand that just putting one on the front of your plate carrier invites friendly fire but what about front and back?

Or I might have to accidentally drop my arm bands in the mud and walk all over it while trying to find it 😅

Armbands; the name sort of gives away where they should be.

Putting them on the plate carrier also causes issues if everyone is looking for them on the arms.

I cannot see why people won't have them clearly displayed on their arms, unless they are trying to gain an unfair advantage, which is otherwise known as cheating.

16 hours ago, Badgerlicious said:

I'm usually not too concerned with the arm band being spotted, but green bands vs work-vest-orange seems a touch unfair in woodland. 

If you want to get really unfair play at Camouflage Airsoft in Alton in Hampshire, where the teams are either  bright orange armband or no armband at all. This is in a woodland site with lots of ferns during the summer, so it's as biased as hell (I still play there in the summer though as it's a local site with good games / marshals). I've complained about it but they still do it.

Green ops physically wrap red parcel tape on the right arm for one team and yellow on the left arm for opfors. 

The bloody stuff needs cutting off at end of day lol

2 hours ago, Colin Allen said:

Armbands; the name sort of gives away where they should be.

Putting them on the plate carrier also causes issues if everyone is looking for them on the arms.

I cannot see why people won't have them clearly displayed on their arms, unless they are trying to gain an unfair advantage, which is otherwise known as cheating.

I don’t have a problem with wearing them on my upper arm but that is a bit problematic with the Viper hood. Wearing a high viz arm band on your wrist however signals your position a lot more than having it on your upper arm (due to the way you hold your RIF). 

IMHO the arm bands should not be to spot a player but to identify one once you have spotted them. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Fatboy40 said:

If you want to get really unfair play at Camouflage Airsoft in Alton in Hampshire, where the teams are either  bright orange armband or no armband at all.

Can I take a guess about which team the regulars and marshals' mates play on?

Saw your picture on FB, been meaning to drop by that comment section to see how it's going.

The orange arm bands are shiny new, I was there in mib Feb and we used blue and yellow, both sets needing a wash....

Big fan of sites that do double arms, and also red right other left, although I do have a hi team kill count from not having coffee that morning.....

Ghillies? Fuck em, both arms above what ever foliage they have but on themselves

58 minutes ago, ParHunter said:

IMHO the arm bands should not be to spot a player but to identify one once you have spotted them. 

If it's such an issue for you, attend events and sites that based teams off the clothes etc you wear and don't use arm bands. 

Ultimately, it's a team based game and most skirmish sites do that team designation using an armband, which based on the name should be on the arm, not the wrist, ankle, plate carrier or your left bollock.you know this before going to a site and paying your fee. 

Just because you've chosen a special outfit for the day, I'm struggling to see why other people who have also paid should be at a disadvantage of not being able to determine your team as quickly as the any other player on site. As the anomaly you are the issue. 

I do sympathise, but it isn't real war. I've played against players in woodland both with arm bands and against arm bands and if you're sensible, it's not that much of a big deal. I've certainly had days of being slaughtered by arm band wearing players. 

1 hour ago, Jaylordofwaargh said:

Ghillies? Fuck em, both arms above what ever foliage they have but on themselves

This!  The same rules apply to them as to everyone else.

Thought about this thread today. 

Earlier I put my RPK down on some foliage.  The orange bakelite mag shone like crazy.  I never realised just how much it stands out. 

I'm wearing solid black gear.  It also stands out, and combined with the orange is akin to orange/black hazard tape!  I've still managed to remain unseen for most of the day. 

Both teams are mostly wearing olive green kit.   The PAVN have bright red collar tabs.  I'm glad as twice today I've stalked friendly players, only the red tabs stopped me from shooting them.   

In some circumstances the red can give advantages.   I'm probably painting the mag though.   

Technique is as important as outfit in a lot of cases.....I have zero subtlety and thus spend a lot of time going to respawn.   The boy on the other hand was nearly squished by me when he was hiding in long, light coloured grass in his DPM outfit and booney hat.

Even in his Afghan desert loadout

he's surprisingly stealthy when he wants to be....not so much with a Japanese flag as a cape though.  Stick him in an environment with some autumn leaves in that kit and you'd have little chance spotting him.

AP1GczOgWeGuYqbbzlRTlCWPkFrqvyeZKlwP4Wgw

AP1GczM1HUFUV5gVyOZwCw13eBtLAhEr2RhhwQN0

AP1GczONzvGhroOtXdoNKykbjXffkTL8XqGs_wcU

AP1GczMGmoW6NP2n0bxU30nyQoFQ3DGGoVKkGxfd

Edited by Dan Robinson