How to you carry your 209 Primers on the field?

I use a DIY job. An alloy tube tapped at each end with a window cut through one threaded section. Undo bolt and slide out the primer like a smartie.

Yeah I mean there are loads of ideas and designs out there it what suits you . I have one of those AirTac ones as  on my vest but the amount of time it’s fallen off and I’ve lost it 

2 hours ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

I just use an Altoids mint tin with tissue paper to stop the rattle

This definitely counts as both effective and budget-friendly, but doesn't quite have the 'zing' of the Lynx Africa BB bottle idea

The search for Lord Sugar's next business partner... continues...

Sprayed an old vaseline tin black, and glued some cotton wool inside to the top and bottom

When I was playing, the good old tic tac box worked wonders. This one has sat in my cupboard for over a year hence the discolouration.

I do hope the primers are still good, I'm considering getting back into the sport.

image.thumb.jpeg.76f390b193c5864d4cadd75ad5f90c78.jpeg

I also used a tic tac box but they make too much noise.

I now use a cloth pouch with drawstring to close.  (still looking for the hero carrier 😉)

I use a little sealable plastic bag stuffed in the tub from a kinder egg

209s are brisant.  No way on earth I'd carry them banging around together.  

Note too that they are all sized slightly differently and have different brisant ratings.  Any primer will cause permanent damage if it goes off in your hand or in a pocket with other primers.

No way I'd use a Tic Tac box etc.  

Why not cut the plastic tray that they come in onto strips and cover with electrical tape?  Peel the tape as needed, and always use when wearing your eye pro.  

17 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

<snip>

Tic tac box worked for me for a couple years. Never had any issues. Also allowed me to easily get 1 or 2 out at a time even with gloves on as my TRMR has the multi shot base (I've never used used the standard single shot one)

Tbh I'm finding that I don't carry primers on me as much any more as quite a few cqb sites are putting restrictions on the number of bangs you can use in a game

On 22/02/2024 at 17:42, Duff Beer said:

I just saw this in the description 

• Magnetic primer remover lifts the fired primer out of the chamber.

Is there iron or steel in there? The ones I've always had are copper so I wouldn't expect a magnet to do anything. Also I just tend to tip the primer holding bit over and let gravity do the work 

Edited by Cannonfodder

7 hours ago, Paltala said:

Tic tac box worked for me for a couple years. Never had any issues. Also allowed me to easily get 1 or 2 out at a time even with gloves on as my TRMR has the multi shot base (I've never used used the standard single shot one)

Primers are a primary explosive.  They are inherently volatile.  They used to be sold loose in jars or tins, the reason they no longer are is because of risk of chain explosion.  It only takes a bit of static electricity.

Glad you've never had issues, but I personally wouldn't chance it.   Skin grafts are not nice.

Here's a quote from a reloading site:

'Avoid handling primers with your hands. Oils and such from your skin can interfere with reliable operation later. Most hand priming tools have trays that allow you to dump primers right from their box onto the tray without handling.

Always wear safety glasses when handling primers. Remember the primary explosive part and how they’re designed to go boom from mechanical force? If one gets jammed up and goes off, you won’t want flame, gas, or primer bits going into your eyes. If you use a primer feed tube, as on a progressive reloading press, it’s possible that some weird sequence of events can set off the whole tube, so be careful. Pretend like you’re handling explosives, because… you are!

While they’re the little guy in the process, and usually the least expensive component of the reloading process, don’t neglect the primer. Kind of like a stubbed toe, that little thing can make life miserable if not treated with respect.'

I've been using a 5.56 strip clip that I bent a bit smaller (narrower) with some pliers. 

Makes the strikey side of the primer covered in metal and with a hole drilled in one end, it's tied onto a pouch it's stored in. 

As they are quite firmly in place, makes it easy to just take one when needed and I top it up between game days, it can take around 12 at a time 

Edited by Emergencychimps

I carry them in their quake. If I need to chuck a grenade more than 7 times in a game, I'm in the wrong game. The refills stay in the safe zone.

9 hours ago, Mad dog 49 said:

I carry them in their quake. If I need to chuck a grenade more than 7 times in a game, I'm in the wrong game. The refills stay in the safe zone.

Yeah there's definitely some merit to that point.  I can certainly leave my spares in a toolbox and refill between rounds if I have to

13 hours ago, Emergencychimps said:

I've been using a 5.56 strip clip that I bent a bit smaller (narrower) with some pliers. 

Makes the strikey side of the primer covered in metal and with a hole drilled in one end, it's tied onto a pouch it's stored in. 

As they are quite firmly in place, makes it easy to just take one when needed and I top it up between game days, it can take around 12 at a time 

They will strike from underneath given enough of a whack, or a direct strike to the base of the anvil. 

You really want the base of the primer (bit with the hole) covered as that's where the brisant material will explode from. 

Look at a fired cartridge that has been hit by a firing pin that is too long.  The pin will pierce the striker and the metal of the pin will be burnt to such an extent that the hardening goes and it becomes pitted and brittle.  The pierced metal face of the primer will be burned black as it has been exposed to such high temps.   Now imagine that amount of heated material hitting human skin.  If a primer goes off in your hand for example, it will likely leave a disabling amount of damage.  I know I'm harping on, but I've worked in this field years ago.   

13 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Surely all these problems can be avoided by employing a trusty bearer/loader to handle such mundane duties, while you focus on the important business of engaging with a typical airsoft opponent?

42495234-victorian-engraving-of-a-safari-game-hunter-shooting-a-gorilla.thumb.jpg.6959b916014fc80d300c836981c64981.jpg

I thought that that was a plate from Grogan's Cape to Cairo, but its a bit earlier and bloody fascinating:  https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/collections/savage-africa-being-the-narrative-of-a-tour-in-equatorial-southwestern#/?tab=about

Has unicorns in apparently.  Love the look of outrage on the gorilla's face, and its over emphasised opposable big toes.  

Here's Grogan showing how to get directions from pygmies: 

FROM THE CAPE TO CAIRO. The First Traverse of Africa from South to ...