Footwear advice needed

Grayz1980

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Need footwear advice. I struggle with shit feet. Narrow and fallen arches, plantar fasciitis. I use orthopaedic insoles but still suffer. I do plan on seeing a podiatrist in the new year.

I’m currently using Lowa Zephyr GTX mids but my feet still kill me at the end of a game day. I am thinking a more trainer like boot might be good for me. I tried on a Salomon X Ultra 4 mid and found them to be quite tight even with my narrow feet. Also the toe box dug into my toes when kneeling. Now looking at the Adidas Terrex Goretex models. Does anyone else use these or have any other suggestions? Thanks 

Edited by Grayz1980

• Grayz1980 changed the title to Footwear advice needed

I have the same lowas as you- to be honest, if you are struggling with them, then you really do have issues! My lowas are too expensive for Airsoft use, so I use a cheap pair of ankle height magnums ('ultima')- even lighter than the lowas and very very squishy/trainer like. They've lasted two years of reasonable use so far, albeit the waterproof membrane is non existent now. Very comfy. https://bootcampstores.co.uk/product/magnum-ultima-6-0-waterproof-boot/

Id say get your foot measured from some experts at mountain ware stores and they'll probably recommend something useful. I have rather small and thin feet for my height and they recommended the scarpa rush trek gtx which fits so much better than the heavy army boots I used to use. Been using those since without a bother.

Edited by AK47frizzle

If you already have plantar do you use any insoles that work in day to day footwear?

I use these which helped immensly... PRO 11 WELLBEING Clear Orthotic Gel Heel Cups for Treatment of Plantar Fasciitis. from Amazon

Changed jobs just over a year ago so no longer need to wear safety shoes (thank god for crocs), but still use them in my going out shoes & boots.

Got measured up for special insoles a few years ago but they did bugger all to help (waste of £60)

• Supporters

Must admit I feel like it's a long shot that there's anyone else on here who's either a relevant medical professional or has dealt with the exact same thing, which is what would be needed to give anything like the right advice in the context (but hey always worth a shot).

Salomon are up and down with regards quality to say the least, I've heard decent reviews of the Terrex but you can never know for sure until you buy a set of shoes and spend significant time in them.  All I could suggest is don't limit yourself to the tactical realm of products as that's very limited comparatively and is not at all necessary for this game.  Find a specific pair that'll best help your situation first, at which point you can use (for example) brown polish on any colour of leather, or a light dusting of spray paint on any synthetic material, if really necessary.

• Supporters

@Grayz1980, no need to suffer with the plantar fascitis, get your gp to refer you to community orthopedics in your area, & then immediately chase them up, tell them it's affecting your ability to go to work & causing massive financial strain, they'll rush through an appointment & you'll probably be offered an injection at your first consult, it hurts like a mofo but usually works within days.

They can probably assess the other issues & advise on best course of treatment to go for. 

But that's not to say don't consider the private route too, it'll be a quicker way to get custom made insoles for your arch problems, but not cheap. 

Regarding footwear, no two feet are the same, we can all advise you on good quality stuff that suits US, but might not suit you. 

In my youth as a young squaddie I could wear literally anything bootshaped  & still outrun a greyhound while wearing full combat loadout, but nowadays, years of injuries & wear/tear have screwed them royally, had plantar a few times on both feet(never went on its own, Always needed medical intervention), broken bones (currently nursing 2 fractures in my 1st metatarsal that occurred in March & still not healed😭), & a crush injury more than a decade ago that needed two ops, the second removed a toe, & still gives problems. 

My own personal choice in boots currently are Belleville TRU minimalist, super light, cross between a combat boot & a boxing boot, awesome for me, but whether they'd suit you is anyone's guess. 

Good luck, it's gonna be a bit of a journey for you. 👍🤞

I’ve got a pair of Lowa Z8’s and I love them, however as many have said my feet aren’t your feet!  I also found Scarpa’s to be really comfy, so maybe they might not be good for you as a result?

I used to play in Magnum’s when they were really cheap, but looking back I should have spent the money and played in something of decent quality like Lowa, Scarpa, Meindl, or Salomon.  Doing so would have reduced the odd issues I have now.

It’s going to be a bit of a mission to get the right boot, but once you’ve found a brand (and therefore last) that works for you stick with it.  Personally I’ll only ever buy Lowa again as I know they fit me like a glove. 

Without wanting to dismiss your issues, and without want to sound patronising are you drinking enough when you’re playing?  I work on my feet all day, and when I’m dehydrated my feet bloody kill me regardless of the footwear I’m wearing.  Making sure I was well hydrated meant that any pain in my feet was due to being old and fat!

8 hours ago, Tackle said:

Good luck, it's gonna be a bit of a journey for you. 👍🤞

What he said!!!

I have planter fasciitis, tarsal tunnel and arthritis in my slightly deformed, very narrow feet.  

Insoles from my local NHS podiatrists every 18 months or so and supportive, correct sized boots are key, as is pain management.  I have accumulated almost a lifetimes supply of size nine army surplus narrow fit boots from Germany (the best), Sweden, and loads from the UK.  Civvi US boots come in a myriad of fitments too.  

You can also go the private route and have your feet and gait measured and insoles made commercially.  

I have to use pain killers to play.  I also train in a soft floored gym at least twice a week in bare (bound and taped) feet.  The exercise cuts my pain meds by at least a third.  

Support, exercise and dealing with the minimised pain that remains is all that you can do.  

Good luck and don't worry, you can get there in the end.  

I've treated myself to some Vans MTE-2s in the January sales, some decent savings on them. They're more trainer style and I've hard a lot of good things

I have a pair of the Addida Terrex. Personally I find them very comfortable and don't have any issues with my feet after a day running about the woods with them. They are nice and light and reasonably flexable.

I dont use any additional insoles in them, but there is space in them if you wanna add some.

Vans MTE, Adidas Terrex, Altama…in that order.

Salomons are notoriously narrow and only recently have they improved their fit, especially if you choose a wide.

TBH the vans are just ridiculously comfy, if you get the GTX version you’re laughing in all weather. 

On 31/12/2023 at 23:10, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I have accumulated almost a lifetimes supply of size nine army surplus narrow fit boots from Germany (the best)

Standard German Army issue? They must have improved a lot over the years. Back in 88 they were very solid but would give you the most beautiful blisters. Oh the joy when they then got infected as well.

Our Sargent told us to urinate into the shoes to make the leather softer. I don’t think anyone took up that idea 😉

1 hour ago, ParHunter said:

Standard German Army issue? They must have improved a lot over the years. Back in 88 they were very solid but would give you the most beautiful blisters. Oh the joy when they then got infected as well.

Our Sargent told us to urinate into the shoes to make the leather softer. I don’t think anyone took up that idea 😉

The issue Meindl Kampfstiefel Schwer Combat Extreme boots are very good.

I found the German para boots to be good too

On 31/12/2023 at 20:08, Duff Beer said:

Magnum’s

They used to be a decent brand but went downhill about 15 years ago after being bought out and they shifted manufacturing to China. Now they're terrible and fall apart after a few months 

6 hours ago, ParHunter said:

Nope.  I should have said modern jungle issue German boots.

I remember those bloody German 80s things.  Rock hard and the soles always came unglued!

Pissing in them did work wonders though.  Somewhere on here there is a whole thread derailed by a conversation about the effects of ammonia laden piss on boots.  😆

13 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Nope.  I should have said modern jungle issue German boots.

I remember those bloody German 80s things.  Rock hard and the soles always came unglued!

Pissing in them did work wonders though.  Somewhere on here there is a whole thread derailed by a conversation about the effects of ammonia laden piss on boots.  😆

I remember one tank commander putting his boots on the heater as he managed to step into a 1 meter deep ‘puddle’. When he tried to put the boots back on the sole still stuck to the heater.

I can't recommend any footwear as I don't have the same problems as yourself. I did have plantar fasciitis for about a year and it was a really irritating thing to have. One thing I found that helped was rolling my feet on a lacrosse ball. I still do it as part of a stretching routine to help keep my feet in good shape.

3 hours ago, ParHunter said:

I remember one tank commander putting his boots on the heater as he managed to step into a 1 meter deep ‘puddle’. When he tried to put the boots back on the sole still stuck to the heater.

I had a couple of pairs; the soles started to detach from both of them.

22 hours ago, Colin Allen said:

I had a couple of pairs; the soles started to detach from both of them.

There was a batch of the old British assault boots where the soles suddenly self destructed without warning and crumbled almost overnight. People on patrol with field dressings wrapped around their boot to retain what was left of the sole was an amusingly common sight, kind of turned the boot into some kind of medieval fabric footwear.

On 30/12/2023 at 09:31, Grayz1980 said:

Need footwear advice. I struggle with shit feet. Narrow and fallen arches, plantar fasciitis. I use orthopaedic insoles but still suffer. I do plan on seeing a podiatrist in the new year.

I’m currently using Lowa Zephyr GTX mids but my feet still kill me at the end of a game day. I am thinking a more trainer like boot might be good for me. I tried on a Salomon X Ultra 4 mid and found them to be quite tight even with my narrow feet. Also the toe box dug into my toes when kneeling. Now looking at the Adidas Terrex Goretex models. Does anyone else use these or have any other suggestions? Thanks 

Hi, cant comment on foot problems as i dont have any, but i have the adidas terrex in trainer and boot form. Wore the boots today after breaking them in last week and they have performed really well. Feet comfortable and dry all day, the open tread pattern dealt with the wet mud on site really well. Wore a decent pair of socks too 

Socks are very important! Given how deep the mud is in places and streams of water just running through the woods I am considering getting some Seal Skinz socks. They are supposed to make every shoe ‘waterproof’. I’ve got some Sealskinz gloves and they are very good. I believe the Army is issuing these now.

39 minutes ago, ParHunter said:

Socks are very important! Given how deep the mud is in places and streams of water just running through the woods I am considering getting some Seal Skinz socks. They are supposed to make every shoe ‘waterproof’. I’ve got some Sealskinz gloves and they are very good. I believe the Army is issuing these now.

If your boots are Goretex (or equivalent) and have a gusseted tongue you may want to look at a pair of gaiters rather than Seal Skinz socks as the main area of ingress will be over the top/wicking through your trousers.

Ironically membranes like this only work when they are dry, they get wet and you soak yourself from the inside since they become plastic bags. Hence the dwr on such things.

I gave up long ago trying to keep feet dry, one or two pairs or wool socks soak up a fair bit of moisture and you can change them out at lunch.

If you are going to get your feet a little damp it won't matter either way and if your going through puddles, or standing in water, leather or the membranes will result in the same result, wet feet.

Some feet are sweatier than others of ofcourse so some might get on with membranes better.

I change my socks out, I find it more comfortable that way.

I have the sealskin gloves too, very nice gloves but mine are too short to keep the water out.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.