BB weights...

gavinkempsell

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Can someone in the 'know' explain to me the benefits & adaptions required to a rif depending on bb weight please?

I can understand a heavier bb flying straighter & possibly further especially on windy days or even cutting through a bit of shrubbery but when I tried .3's on one game day it put my fps over the site limit but .2's were fine.

I've read several forum members talking about adjusting their hop for different bb weights, is this common as I thought the hop was to add or reduce spin to improve flight.

Thanks in advance.

Apparently I read the thread wrong. Ignore my stupidity. I would have expected a heavier BB to decrease FPS, not increase it. I can't say i've ever seen this personally.

Edited by MrTea

Heavier BB’s can increase the dwell time of the BB in the barrel and make the RIF more efficient and capable of developing more power.

For example, if I gave you a ping-pong ball and asked you to throw it as far as you can, and then gave you a tennis ball and asked you to do the same the tennis ball would go further even though your strength hasn’t changed.

This is why good sites chrono based on joules of the ammo you’re using, not 0.2’s for FPS.

Edited by Duff Beer
Clarity

6 minutes ago, Duff Beer said:

Heavier BB’s can increase the dwell time of the BB in the barrel and make the RIF more efficient and capable of developing more power.

For example, if I gave you a ping-pong ball and asked you to throw it as far as you can, and then gave you a tennis ball and asked you to do the same the tennis ball would go further even though your strength hasn’t changed.

This is why good sites chrono based on joules of the ammo you’re using, not 0.2’s for FPS.

That makes sense, however you haven't seen my girly throw.

10 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

Can someone in the 'know' explain to me the benefits & adaptions required to a rif depending on bb weight please?

I can understand a heavier bb flying straighter & possibly further especially on windy days or even cutting through a bit of shrubbery but when I tried .3's on one game day it put my fps over the site limit but .2's were fine.

I've read several forum members talking about adjusting their hop for different bb weights, is this common as I thought the hop was to add or reduce spin to improve flight.

Thanks in advance.

Joule creep. It's more prevalent when you've got a longer inner barrel.

That's correct hop's sole purpose to get the most out of your BB regarding distance and to have a "straight" fly path.

I think you can decrease your FPS with no hop but no sane marshall is gonna accept that chrono reading. 

Edited by Krisz

11 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

This is correct, a heavier BB may need a bit more hop to counteract gravity and keep in flight for longer. It’s not to bring their pew within chrono limits.

Sounds like you experienced Joule creep, there’s tons of info on that here.

Holy shit Impulse, great reply.

I can't help think a more fitting 'thank you' is required but I have crap communication skills so...

Cool.

;)

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Krisz said:

I think you can decrease your FPS with no hop but no sane marshall is gonna accept that chrono reading. 

Reducing the amount of hop applied will increase FPS, not lower it. 

First time I chronoed an upgraded VSR it was firing at around 510 FPS on 0.2g. Realised the hop was on the lowest setting so dialled it in and it went down to around 490 fps.

It would make most guns unusable past around 20-30 metres anyway.

• Supporters
35 minutes ago, Esoterick said:

Reducing the amount of hop applied will increase FPS, not lower it. 

Not in all cases, some setups can have a dramatic drop in power when the hop is almost/completely off, so dramatic the bb can struggle to even make it down the barrel.

I've never quite figured exactly how that works but i've seen it often enough that i got into the habit of setting hops at least mid-way when bench testing.

Hence why it bugs me when sites do the whole "chrono with the hop off" thing because its basically asking for false readings.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Esoterick said:

VSR [...] 0.2g

My TAC-41 has never had a BB under 0.43g run through it. Not once.  I couldn't even tell you what "fps" it's slinging them at, only that it yeets properly hopped 0.43g-0.46g at 2.2 - 2.3J.  It's CURRENT_YEAR, after all, not the Before Time, in the Long-Long Ago.

12 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

I've never quite figured exactly how that works but i've seen it often enough that i got into the habit of setting hops at least mid-way when bench testing

Is it because the magnus effect helps stabilise the bb's flight in the barrel.  Without it, the bb literally rattles it's way down losing all it's energy? 

24 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

Is it because the magnus effect helps stabilise the bb's flight in the barrel.  Without it, the bb literally rattles it's way down losing all it's energy? 

I remember an explanation of barrel bores from YouTube that said the BB rattles down a standard bore, floats down a wide bore, and runs along the top of a tight bore barrel.

I have no idea if that's actually true but as in two cases the BB is supposedly contacting the walls of the barrel, I think it means energy loss would be negligible.

My thought is that the hop holds the BB in place long enough for back-pressure to build up before the BB starts traveling.  But that's just an intuitive guess, with no evidence either way.

It would be great to know for sure 😊

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
37 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

I did suspect basically this:

23 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

My thought is that the hop holds the BB in place long enough for back-pressure to build up before the BB starts traveling.  But that's just an intuitive guess, with no evidence either way.

Although i've never really dug into it enough to find out conclusively.

16 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

remember an explanation of barrel bores from YouTube that said the BB rattles down a standard bore, floats down a wide bore, and runs along the top of a tight bore barrel.

The issue i have with that as an explanation is that whilst the bb is in the barrel, the airflow past it will be inverted so the magnus effect would be pulling it down against the bottom of the bore, and that additional airflow around the bb would magnify this effect, ie that it would rattle in a tightbore and run along the bottom of a widebore.

I did for a while contemplate the idea of an intentionally curved barrel, putting a slight radius along its length to force the bb to roll along the top surface which would help add a little more spin (although likely still need a hop for adjustability) but more importantly mean that the bb would consistently be riding along one surface.

Ultimately though in practical terms the trick is getting a pew consistent enough to even be able to notice these sorts of minutia, and that generally the main boost from a better quality barrel is not in its nominal diameter but in how consistent that diameter is along its length, how straight it is and how good the internal surface finish is.

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

the BB rattles down a standard bore, floats down a wide bore, and runs along the top of a tight bore barrel

To my simple mind, a BB that so much as touches the barrel once it's been through the hop would emerge with no, or random, backspin.  I'd wonder on what evidentiary basis these claims are being made.

What I have observed is that adding some hop can increase muzzle energy, so I fully agree with half-hop while bench testing, or ideally with the hop dialled in for the BB weight.

34 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

To my simple mind, a BB that so much as touches the barrel once it's been through the hop would emerge with no, or random, backspin.  I'd wonder on what evidentiary basis these claims are being made.

Given that a hop rubber with a bit of silicon lube on it loses its ability to impart backspin, I'd say the effect of a BB touching the sides of a clean polished barrel will be fairly negligible.  But as you say it's really all guesswork with no evidence. 

The makers of wide bore barrels claim great things, but I've watched a video where testing showed they tended to be less accurate. 

Too many variables in play, and not enough science, so far.

(I daydreamed of a glass barrel so someone could actually film the BB traveling along, but I suspect in reality even that would effectively be impossible due to the realities of manufacturing difficulties and  costs, refraction affecting observation etc)

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I remember an explanation of barrel bores from YouTube that said the BB rattles down a standard bore, floats down a wide bore, and runs along the top of a tight bore barrel.

I have no idea if that's actually true but as in two cases the BB is supposedly contacting the walls of the barrel, I think it means energy loss would be negligible.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

The issue i have with that as an explanation is that whilst the bb is in the barrel, the airflow past it will be inverted so the magnus effect would be pulling it down against the bottom of the bore, and that additional airflow around the bb would magnify this effect, ie that it would rattle in a tightbore and run along the bottom of a widebore.

I did for a while contemplate the idea of an intentionally curved barrel, putting a slight radius along its length to force the bb to roll along the top surface which would help add a little more spin (although likely still need a hop for adjustability) but more importantly mean that the bb would consistently be riding along one surface.

Ultimately though in practical terms the trick is getting a pew consistent enough to even be able to notice these sorts of minutia, and that generally the main boost from a better quality barrel is not in its nominal diameter but in how consistent that diameter is along its length, how straight it is and how good the internal surface finish is.

My science knowledge is misty as it goes back many decades - and also my barrel / projectile experience is with paintballs, which have the added effect of distortion under pressure whilst inside the barrel

All the theories mentioned ring true with my recollection & experience, particularly the bent barrel which seems very wrong at first but effective when right (this was the Tippmann flatline) it does exactly as per the theory - drag in the curve causes backspin

IMG_0332.jpeg.2b52d3820ea79bfb9326a2ba2d532566.jpeg

Next we had the Apex tip which is pretty much the same thing as an airsoft hop

IMG_0334.png.47972367bbe545b053f68986997fd8a7.png

An adjustable rubber element gives backspin, but the tip can also be rotated to change the angle of the backspin

(spoiler in the following video but he rated it as ‘it sucks’ - it does give backspin and additional range, but can impact on consistency - I have a team mate who puts in all the practice, he was an apex ninja and as a result could place a ball where he wanted it to go - though this was courtesy of numerous factors with the Apex as just one of them to adjust the spin)

https://youtu.be/Vfgi_AwdTR8

Flatlines and Apexes have had their day, some will still use them, but most will go for bore matching a barrel / insert with the ball - and everyone has a different preference that they swear by of bore match, overbore or under bore 

Still to add are the consistency of the gun itself to reliably send the ball out of the chamber, and the length of the barrel which must be long enough to allow the ball to accelerate but not so long that any drag/bounce along the barrel is so much that it  loses the energy that was gained in acceleration

Consistency and practice are key - consistency gives you a reliable benchmark and practice let’s you first understand the combined effects  and fine tune each in turn

• Supporters

I did think paintball might be more suited to the curved barrel thing, intuitively it would seem less strenuous on the round and i'd have assumed an airsoft style hop might results in bursting rounds if its set too tight.

Plus curved barrel would only suit one particular weight/energy combination which wouldn't be popular in airsoft given people want to make dmr's out of basically everything, change hop weights on a whim etc.

Curved barrels, or LRBs (Long Range Barrels) were a thing before hop up existed. Enthusiastic players would bend the last third of the barrel a few degrees in order to impart some kind of backspin.

People have been debating where the BB flies in the barrel for years at this point. Over on the American forums, we actually have members working on a glass barrel project.

On examination of the fluid dynamics, it seems that no proper quality airsoft BBs contact the top of the barrel or rattle around, but instead float through the barrel, closer to the top but not touching. Bore size is practically irrelevant. The people who say the BB rattles around in some bores and skids or floats in others are completely ignorant of how little the difference actually is between these barrel bores we care so much about.

I will also cite that BBs rattling or skidding down a barrel produces a very distinct, noticeable sound that is lacking when you shoot your airsoft gun, even upside down.

Naturally, air will push and flow around the BB due to its spherical shape. The proponents of the skid theory, where the BB rides along the top, propose that the Magnus effect forces the BB to “hop” off the hop patch and cling to the top of the barrel.

However, this does not make any sense, as the Magnus effect does not become stronger than the forward velocity of the BB until long after it has left the barrel (overhop), even using extremely short barrels, which should theoretically prove this.

I am not a physicist either, but having spent time both talking to people smarter than I, and researching fluid dynamics, I believe the most logical explanation is that the BB does ride closer to the top of the barrel, because of a negative pressure cushion created by the backspin (Magnus effect), but does not touch, because of air naturally flowing between the BB and the barrel and causing an opposing cushion.

For some excellent practical evidence, Google Tanio Koba Twist barrels. They were airsoft barrels with rifling, tuned for 1J, that spin the air around the BB. Because they have cut grooves along the top, yet shoot normally, they prove that the BB does not ride along the top or rattle around,

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.