A Warning, Attempted Scam

Samlondon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong section.

Recently I posted a wanted advert up for a GBBR G28 

The next day I was contacted by a member Dannywill (danielwill###@#####.com) who said he had one and that I should email him.

it all seemed very good I asked him for some pics and he sent a load through it was a good deal, said he had recently broken his back and just wanted rid of most of his collection. He wanted a pick up but would post if needed but he was in Thurso in Scotland (the southern most tip)

I agreed to by the rifle but said I would only pay via pay pal as the forum has advised me not to do bank transfers. He agreed but said

I'm presently having some technical hitches with my Paypal but my son is here to help me with his Paypal, Kindly let me know when you're ready to proceed with the purchase so I can send you the paypal address you will make the payment to.” 

Red flag No.1

So I asked for his phone number just as a back up but then he sent me this.

Here's the paypal address you will make the payment to, ongoloerick@#####.com , Kindly make payment via family and friends, and please include your contact information and shipping address in the next mail. Thanks

Daniel Wilson, 
###### Crescent,
Bettyhill,Thurso ####
819 334 #####”

Strange I thought that’s not a UK number and so I checked the paypal and it only accepted $ USD 

I pushed him on it and said I would have to speak to him on the phone before I would send any money and that the phone number he had provided seemed not to work to which he replied.

My phone is bad Sam, it accidentally fell of while in water while cleaning an hot water tank rupture I had on Monday, I think I will get a new phone once I had some cash on me.

It was getting more dodgy by the message I asked him again for a number to which he sent another American number saying it was his son who was over from America to look after him after breaking his back.

I told him I’m not giving him any money and at which point he called me from an phone number in Great Falls Montan USA and was even more sketchy on the phone.

I said to email me a picture of a utility bill or junk mail with the address he had given me on it to which he refused.

He then kept calling me from the same Montan number demanding I Pay.

He told me he would right my name on a bit of paper next to the rifle but never sent it this would only prove he had a G28 not that it was in Scotland.

his last message was as follows

Sam, How I Wish you Know me personally, you would really no am a man of my word, My Son Eric is a student in the USA, he has only been home to take care of me since I had an accident

if you doubt this, I would advice you to come for a pickup, I will be waiting for you right in the front of my house or you make half payment and if you refuse to balance me up after receiving the goods on your end, I will filed up a case against you, let me know if you're okay with this

I never replied.

We then found an advert from October 2020 with the exact same description and pics that he had sent but collection from Bedford.

we contacted the original seller from the 2020 advert who assured us it was sold in 2021. He was pissed they had used his images as part of a scam and reported the guy.

This is just a warning to other to be very careful when buying stuff and if anything seem even remotely dodgy don’t do it!!!

and to the mods please look in to this and ban Danny Will!

Some pics attached.

87E9308B-6A4F-4355-B2F3-8A4C83F37568.png

09B45496-B216-4CAF-848A-77DF6BEE2E5F.png

7BE24EFB-127C-4C49-8ED6-BBB307ED773A.png

5095B15D-FF50-46C3-9670-4A4DB4CD3251.png

A80F1CA1-7F65-407F-8F1D-4B1DD9C1C03A.png

B072830D-5D09-48C7-A3D4-CA3D7017F12D.png

84E202A7-562F-4631-841C-D54F016A0094.png

Edited by Samlondon

• Supporters

not sure what the policy on dox'ing is here but maybe better to blurr out addresses and such?

if you contact one of the mod team i'm sure with that pile of evidence you have the banhammer shall swiftly be swung.

It’s the weird appreciation of grammar that singles this out for me, they all seem to write in this style. 

Nice to read a thread where someone smelt a rat and swerved the whole thing as opposed to someone that got taken in and lost a load of cash! 

Glad you spotted it and also posted a warning to others. 

It’s also a message to all selling in the classifieds/elsewhere to put their username & the date in the pics where they are difficult to photoshop out.

• Supporters

As soon as I'd read "peace be with you" I'd be blocking that motherfudger.

Thanks for sharing Sam👍, god bless you brother 😜

• Supporters

Being the inherently none trusting fecker that I am , the minute a seller or buyer deviates from a ‘normal’ sales pattern (sale listed in a sales forum/paypal services/photos with name and dates with the goods/wants to change the sale during the sale) I’m out immediately no ifs or butts I’m gone end off .

To me it's the "please pay by f&f".

I do have a few ads (not on here for obvious geographical reasons), on all of them I recommend to pay via g&s (sending an extra 4% to make up for the PayPal fees).

The amount of people who pay by f&f is unreal though, when I ask them why they always say "my friend/touchy uncle/inbred cousin told me to because it's a courtesy"...

2 hours ago, Skara said:

To me it's the "please pay by f&f".

I do have a few ads (not on here for obvious geographical reasons), on all of them I recommend to pay via g&s (sending an extra 4% to make up for the PayPal fees).

The amount of people who pay by f&f is unreal though, when I ask them why they always say "my friend/touchy uncle/inbred cousin told me to because it's a courtesy"...

5 minutes ago, rj1986 said:

I always just pay the 4% extra for G&S - only do F&F if you're picking up face to face and instead of cash.

After all, it's airsoft stuff, it's not a one off, there will always be a another one.

There’s so much stupid around

”Friends and family as a courtesy” !!!!!!!!

Not very courteous to PayPal to use their software, computers, financial services and integration with banking for free.  The courteous element is that they offer a no fee service with Friends and family

…… and then people wonder why they have problems when things go wrong 

Oddly I have had a reply to a wanted advert for a Tanaka SAA from him. I have offered to collect it as I am going to be near Thurso in a couple of weeks. He agreed.

Fooled me.

7 minutes ago, Cromulon1994 said:

Oddly I have had a reply to a wanted advert for a Tanaka SAA from him. I have offered to collect it as I am going to be near Thurso in a couple of weeks. He agreed.

Fooled me.

I'm confused (doesn't take much), so you're going to pick it up?  What did he say when you said you can pick it up?

Edited by ak2m4

Plenty of them about 

Had emailed someone last week about a gun on another site 

I asked for his WhatsApp . He agreed . Mesaged there . I asked for more pics and how he wants paying . I said PayPal in which he said it was against PayPal rules to buy and post a rif using them ?? Played him for s a fee more messages before he said he would so PayPal friends and family ?? Was getting desperate I think to seal the deal lol . May play him some more later ☺️

13 minutes ago, Kls77 said:

Plenty of them about 

Had emailed someone last week about a gun on another site 

I asked for his WhatsApp . He agreed . Mesaged there . I asked for more pics and how he wants paying . I said PayPal in which he said it was against PayPal rules to buy and post a rif using them ?? Played him for s a fee more messages before he said he would so PayPal friends and family ?? Was getting desperate I think to seal the deal lol . May play him some more later ☺️

It had been against PayPal rules for a period of time, but they legitimised using PayPal for airsoft among transactions for gun related things that are legal in the country concerned

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.