Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi folks. I Fancy getting a longer rifle for more range and something a bit different to the plethora of M4s out there within my budget of £150... have had my eye on the JG 550 for a while as I like the styling (vaguely futuristic but still traditional, without the plethora of rails, fancy guards etc that I'm not fussed about) and the price is right.

 

Has anyone had any experience with them, are they any good?

 

Cheers

 

Eezer (formerly 125cc)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All,   Thanks for the replies. For clarity, I'm not too fussed about having a posh gnu or sniping - just would like something a little different to run alongside the M4 if/when it takes my f

Did it weeks ago.

Kinda expecting a group of guys to come here and tell you that a longer gun doesn't = more range. Etc, etc, followed by a history lesson about the ergonomics and physics of an airsoft weapon. Accompan

Posted (edited)

Kinda expecting a group of guys to come here and tell you that a longer gun doesn't = more range. Etc, etc, followed by a history lesson about the ergonomics and physics of an airsoft weapon. Accompanied by "just buy this and that accessory to compensate😁

7260ad7de2d77fa3b597026aee82b391.gif.ea858b79e837178586b73762e0fb4b32.gif

Edited by Mr. No_Face
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't have any experience with that particular model but I have several other JG toys and they all perform very well considering their price.

Of course they can be improved but generally out of the box they are skirmishable with reasonable expectations.

 

Barring the bad luck of getting a lemon (just send back) it should be a safe purchase 👍

 

Search YT for all the videos about it...

 

 

Edited by EDcase
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Supporters

As laughing boy alluded to yes barrel length doesn’t make a lot of difference to the range you’ll achieve(obviously if you’ve got an M4 with a barrel the length of a pistol even the cheapest ‘normal’ M4 will out range you !) the really crucial thing is the hop set up in it . I’ve got a couple of Jing Gong/Golden Eagle(same company)guns at the moment and have had a good few in the past and they are good for the money , my son has a JG Sig 552 and we’ve not touched tHopefully and it’s still got cracking range on it and I’ve recently changed the hop unit bucking and nub in a GE M16A2 as I thought the range/accuracy was a bit ‘meh’ and as it’s now starting to bed in the range is just creeping on out further and further . Been running it in my back garden which is just under 100ft and I’m now consistently hitting a red brick that’s end on in the centre of a bock wall at the top of the garden with aimed shots .

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. No_Face said:

Kinda expecting a group of guys to come here and tell you that a longer gun doesn't = more range. Etc, etc, followed by a history lesson about the ergonomics and physics of an airsoft weapon. Accompanied by "just buy this and that accessory to compensate😁

7260ad7de2d77fa3b597026aee82b391.gif.ea858b79e837178586b73762e0fb4b32.gif

Bit butt hurt by that thread still? Maybe instead of bitching about other members of the forum because they disagree with you, you could trying helping OP with his question?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, GenuineGerman said:

Bit butt hurt by that thread still? Maybe instead of bitching about other members of the forum because they disagree with you, you could trying helping OP with his question?  

 

It was banter mate. Lighten up AuthenticGerman. I saw "longer Gun" and just felt compelled to make this throwback joke. That's all.

Also there was no reason to be butt hurt. I wasn't wrong in that thread.

Edited by Mr. No_Face
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Rebranding: What Is It And When Should It Be Done?

 

Anyway, with that aside. Barrel length doesn't do a huge amount for you, though it's wise to have some degree of volume matching (which I'll assume won't be the case from the factory) if it's 'peak performance' you're ultimately shooting for.

As with any of the cheaper brands (and more expensive ones these days unfortunately) the biggest gamble you're taking is with QC. Generally speaking that's more of a roll of the dice with your more budget brands, but it's not to say the more 'premium brands' are immune to it by any stretch. The reason this is generally more significant is it can render the prior experience of folks that have used/use this RIF somewhat moot.

 

The advice ultimately being the same it is everytime something along these lines comes up, if you just want a new RIF for whatever reason then go for it. If the actual thing you want is purely just a bump in performance, that cash would be wiser spent on bumping up your current RIF.

 

Figure out which of those two statements is a better fit and pick your poison as appropriate.

Edited by alxndrhll
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah Familiar faces. 

 

11 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

Figure out which of those two statements is a better fit and pick your poison as appropriate.

 

And actual good advice here. I co-sign this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Supporters
6 hours ago, Mr. No_Face said:

Kinda expecting a group of guys to come here and tell you that a longer gun doesn't = more range. Etc, etc, followed by a history lesson about the ergonomics and physics of an airsoft weapon. Accompanied by "just buy this and that accessory to compensate😁

 

 

well seeing as you brought it up.....

 

better to tell the truth, lest the poor fella ends up dissapointed in his new shiny pew because of a misplaced understanding.

 

if he knows it won't necessarily be any better but still wants it anyway because sigs are cool and the 550 is the model he likes then he can buy it and not be dissapointed.

 

 

however more on topic there's a couple of points to raise:

1. plastic receiver? wouldn't be my preference, might be a bit on the weak side but if you're not treating it rough should be fine.

2. as @alxndrhll pointed out volume matching, barrel on that thing is on the longer side for a standard cylinder, probably be fine (we're not talking a 640 here....) and worst case just run a shorter inner barrel.

3. jg's internals are pretty decent given how little the gun costs, although it'll need some work if you want to get it shooting it's best but that kinda applies to anything depending on what your personal standard for acceptable performance is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like we have to draw a line between looks/feel and actual performance.

 

If you want more range, then a long barrel is the last thing you need, it's been proven way too many times over the years that short barrels (below 360mm) give better performance over 500+ ones.

What you want is an air tight system -zero air leaks- and a really good hop up setup, so either a R-Hop or a Maple Leaf/PDI rubber with the correct tensioner, a rigid enough hop arm so it doesn't bend when bbs pass through and good quality heavy bbs (0.3+).

 

On the other side, you can get the sig 550 to pretty much DMR levels if you throw enough money at it and you're smart (e.g. don't watch YouTube videos).

 

One thing worth mentioning is that DMRs are useless, you lose too much (full auto,0 MED, people crying when you shoot them) for an almost negligible muzzle energy increase, especially when you consider that a R-Hop can send a 0.32 up to 70m at 1J which is 20 to 25 metres more than the average AEG can do.

 

So, where do *you* draw the line?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Skara said:

If you want more range, then a long barrel is the last thing you need, it's been proven way too many times over the years that short barrels (below 360mm) give better performance over 500+ ones.

 

Correct but:

 Below 360mm to what threshold? That's a pretty vague statement and would make a lot more sense if that range was constricted to a limit.  Between X to Y mm?

You most certainly will not be achieving as significant range with something under 120mm vs a rig with a 360mm barrel both sharing the exact same or similar hop.

 

Edited by Mr. No_Face
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mr. No_Face said:

You most certainly will not be achieving as significant range with something under 120mm vs a rig with a 360mm barrel both sharing the exact same or similar hop.

Mk23 and its 133mm barrel says hello :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Skara said:

Mk23 and its 133mm barrel says hello :D

 

MK23 and it's 133mm barrel says goodbye...........since you skipped right passed the similar hop  specification I mentioned.😁

I'll simplify this even more.

 

CM firehawk and the CM Raider. Almost identical specs for the most part which do you believe have "better" range ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok since it's taking you a little too long to respond I'll answer this. The CM Raider has better range. I've been to 2 games since the re-openings and have had the opportunity to test both of them first hand. Not only that but I got affirmation from the marshals In fact, The next time I go (Probably within the next 2 weeks) I'll record the process of test firing for youtube and show you the obvious fall-off that the firehawk had over the Raider. 

 

Also Regarding this MK23 you mentioned. I know price point doesn't necessarily equal good but why is this thing so dirt cheap and described in reviews like it's some master piece crafted by the hands of King Midas.  With that being said referencing that in your argument is like arguing the 1% rule assuming it's range is comparable across multiple platforms. I'd imagine it has good range for a pistol.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an ICS CXP-15 - 200mm inner barrel

 

I also have an ICS Peleador - 375mm inner barrel

 

Internally identical bar a Mosfet in one. So identical that I can hot-swap the upper gearboxes with almost no FPS change. There's a 10-15fps difference between the guns which I put down to cylinder/barrel volume as they use the same cylinder.

 

Same ICS hop unit, hop rubber and nub in both. Same ICS barrel, just differing in length.

 

They shoot the same. Same range. Same accuracy. Only the noise signature differs. I could use them interchangeably all day and not notice any performance difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I have an ICS CXP-15 - 200mm inner barrel

 

I also have an ICS Peleador - 375mm inner barrel

 

Internally identical bar a Mosfet in one. So identical that I can hot-swap the upper gearboxes with almost no FPS change. There's a 10-15fps difference between the guns which I put down to cylinder/barrel volume as they use the same cylinder.

 

Same ICS hop unit, hop rubber and nub in both. Same ICS barrel, just differing in length.

 

They shoot the same. Same range. Same accuracy. Only the noise signature differs. I could use them interchangeably all day and not notice any performance difference.

 

I have Absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is some what true. 

Only the difference between the barrel of a CM firehawk and  CM raider is 120mm to 368mm. That's a 248mm difference. To put that into perspective for you that's 3 times the size of the firehawk's barrel. The difference been your ICS rigs is just 175mm which isn't much at all and will offer no significant difference in range.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I understand of the physics as long as the barrel is long enough to accelerate a BB of a given weight to 350fps the actual length is irrelevant. Range will be dependant on BB weight and the amount of hop.

it's possible that longer barrels stabilise the BB better but I haven't seen any evidence of that. Barrel quality seems to be the deciding factor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Supporters

mr no face- you realise that even 2 nominally identical guns taken sequentially from the production line will not perform the same right?

 

 

1 minute ago, 38super said:

From what I understand of the physics as long as the barrel is long enough to accelerate a BB of a given weight to 350fps the actual length is irrelevant. Range will be dependant on BB weight and the amount of hop.

it's possible that longer barrels stabilise the BB better but I haven't seen any evidence of that. Barrel quality seems to be the deciding factor. 

 

this is correct, for the level of accuracy an airsoft gun is capable of the effects of barrel length aren't a big deal compared to the myriad other factors going on. it's not that it doesn't make a difference, it's that everything else that does make a difference is going to have a much more noticeable effect.

 

such as mr no-face's rejection of the mk23 as an example for a short barrel being accurate- everything else that's going on inside the mk23 (fps consistency, hop setup, barrel surface quality, ammo quality etc) are easily overcoming the notionally short barrel length.

 

whilst a longer barrel doesn't really help get more range/accuracy, if everything else is going on right it doesn't really hurt it either, granting us the freedom to choose a gun because we think it looks cool knowing it can be adjusted to be as good at lobbing bb's as anything else on the field.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mr. No_Face said:

 

I have Absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is some what true. 

Only the difference between the barrel of a CM firehawk and  CM raider is 120mm to 368mm. That's a 248mm difference. To put that into perspective for you that's 3 times the size of the firehawk's barrel. The difference been your ICS rigs is just 175mm which isn't much at all and will offer no significant difference in range.

 

 

Actually, Raider (v1.0L and 2.0E models) inner barrels are 357mm. The difference is 237mm. 😘

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

mr no face- you realise that even 2 nominally identical guns taken sequentially from the production line will not perform the same right?

 

 

 

Isn't that Obvious. literally nothing on this earth can be made "truly" identical not even a human clone. But the function of the CM in that line would/should reach that average performance quota. In fact I can bet you right now the next time I'm at a game I'll experiment on more than one CM Raider rental and get the same or similar results overall. We can put some money on that too.

 

 

Just now, Speedbird_666 said:

 

Actually, Raider (v1.0L and 2.0E models) inner barrels are 357mm. The difference is 237mm. 😘

 

 Not sure why you're bringing 2 separate raider models into this equation now with very little difference . But hey.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr. No_Face said:

Ok since it's taking you a little too long to respond I'll answer this.

Sorry mate, I have an actual job so I can't spend my whole life on forums arguing about age old topics like barrel length.

 

It's physics, a 1J bb coming out of a 100mm barrel will have the same properties of a 1J bb coming out of a 1 metre barrel.

Given the same energy output, given the same pressure applied to the hop rubber, given the same hop rubber, two bbs fired from different barrels will have the same range and consistency.

 

Did you make sure that both the CM16 and FireHawk had the same charateristics? Same muzzle energy? same hop up chambers, rubbers and barrel diametre and finish? Same bb weight? Same amount of pressure from the hop arm?

If not, ding dong your example is wrong :D

It's like comparing a VW Golf with a Fiat Panda.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mr. No_Face said:

Not sure why you're bringing 2 separate raider models into this equation now with very little difference . But hey.

 

Because G&G don't produce a Raider with a 368mm inner barrel. I was enjoying being pedantic.

 

I would like to know the chronograph readings for both guns. You own a chronograph don't you? I'm sure someone with your depth of wisdom and experience would have one in their kit bag...

 

Actually, I don't care. Nothing we say will ever convince you.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Skara said:

Sorry mate, I have an actual job so I can't spend my whole life on forums arguing about age old topics like barrel length.

 

It's physics, a 1J bb coming out of a 100mm barrel will have the same properties of a 1J bb coming out of a 1 metre barrel.

Given the same energy output, given the same pressure applied to the hop rubber, given the same hop rubber, two bbs fired from different barrels will have the same range and consistency.

 

Did you make sure that both the CM16 and FireHawk had the same charateristics? Same muzzle energy? same hop up chambers, rubbers and barrel diametre and finish? Same bb weight? Same amount of pressure from the hop arm?

If not, ding dong your example is wrong :D

It's like comparing a VW Golf with a Fiat Panda.

 

Ah the infamous "I have a job excuse" When you were here commenting and roaming long afterwards. Cool Story Bro

 

"Did you make sure that both the CM16 and FireHawk had the same charateristics? Same muzzle energy? same hop up chambers, rubbers and barrel diametre and finish? Same bb weight? Same amount of pressure from the hop arm?"

He says.

 

- Stock CM Raider internals and stock CM Firehawk internals at the time.

- Same 0.25 bbs

Ding dong. :D

1 minute ago, Speedbird_666 said:

 

Because G&G don't produce a Raider with a 368mm inner barrel. I was enjoying being pedantic.

 

I would like to know the chronograph readings for both guns. You own a chronograph don't you? I'm sure someone with your depth of wisdom and experience would have one in their kit bag...

 

Actually, I don't care. Nothing we say will ever convince you.

 

 

 

 

You can take that up with the sources and also..... So you referenced other models with very little to no difference in some deluded attempt at a point? 

 

Convince me of what exactly. Do you even understand what;s happening here or what point I am making. Convince me of what exactly? 

Edited by Mr. No_Face
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Same energy output? Same hop pressure applied? Same RPM imparted to the bb from rubbing against the rubber?

Mate, seriously.

 

Let's assume those two guns have the exact same gearbox inside, essentially the firehawk will come out at a much lower energy output due to the shorter barrel, which automatically voids your example ;) again, can't compare a Golf with a Panda, two different cars even though they both have 4 wheels made of rubbery material and an engine.

 

Did you chrono both guns? were they within 5/10 fps from each other? if not, guess what, your example is wrong :D

 

19 minutes ago, Mr. No_Face said:

Ah the infamous "I have a job excuse" When you were here commenting and roaming long afterwards. Cool Story Bro

Well yes, some of us do contribute to society instead of trying to be clever on forums ;)

Edited by Skara
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Skara said:

Same energy output? Same hop pressure applied? Same RPM imparted to the bb from rubbing against the rubber?

Mate, seriously.

 

 

The semantics are getting boring. So let's cut this story short here's what you're saying to me right now based on your argument.

A fire hawk with a miniscule barrel of 120mm, stock internals should offer the same or similar range to it's Larger counterpart CM Raider (stock internals) with a barrel x3 the length? Consistent Chrono readings within the same ball park on both parties. The results should be the same?

Is that the argument here?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...