The 'How Did Your Airsoft Day Go? Thread

Skara

On 08/10/2023 at 22:57, Colin Allen said:

This morning, I somewhat reluctantly set off for Airsoft Plantation; when the alarm went off at 07:00, I could have quite easily remained in bed for several more hours.  However, I was rather glad that I did go, not only because it was a damned fine day of airsoft but also because, after paying and getting my wristband, I bumped into three fine, upstanding members of the Brotherhood of Arseholes (BOA), an airsoft team (in the loosest sense of the word) that I have not had the pleasure of slinging plastic alongside for several years.

We started off with a simple attack/defend game in the mortar pits; the attackers (that was us!) had to locate and set off two sirens that were secreted in the area.  We got the first one rather quickly but locating and securing the second one seemed to take forever, probably because of the difficulty of dislodging 115 well dug in enemy players each with two lives.  However, eventually we found it and set it off.

After a short break to mag up, the game was turned around and we held our position for quite a bit longer than the blue team had, mainly due to some excellent communication between players, calling out sightings and movements of the enemy, who could attack from the full 360 degrees.

After this, we played a long fallback game.  Starting at the far end of the woods, we had to clear the enemy out of the area around the Killhouse, secure the briefcase full of packets of Colombia's finest and transport it to the Border, where a very dodgy looking chap would take it off our hands in exchange for a briefcase full of cash, which we then had to take to the bank in the village.

We had a rolling respawn on a marshal, while the defenders had one life in each of the Killhouse area, the border and the village.

Again, it felt like we were making really heavy weather of it, until the enemy's defence of the village finally collapsed.  Huge kudos to the blue team player who, having been overlooked as the Border fell, took out about 12 of us from behind as we moved towards the village,.

After lunch, we played a simple bomb delivery game in the mortar pits; each side had a smoke bomb, which had to be transported to a location on their opponent's side of the mortar pits and set off.  All players had two lives and only five designated players on each team could transport the bomb, so they had to be protected.  My involvement with this game was lamentably short as I got slotted twice in short order while pushing forward with intemperate aggression.

Once that game was resolved, the fallback game was turned round; a stalwart defence of the area around the Killhouse delayed the blue's attack; once hit, I fell back to a  favourite spot near the border, a deep ditch protected by a fallen tree.  I was joined there by a friendly Bush Wookie.  We put up a good defence; he died first and I held out for quite a while before being overrun.  One chap got very salty when I emptied a pistol mag into him and his pals at close range.

After falling back to the village, I was eventually taken out by a sniper; as I walked back to the safe zone, the marshal announced that the blue team had five more minutes to match our time; they failed!

It was a very good day of airsoft and it was great to play alongside the BOA guys again.

The only downside was that I yet again failed to win the raffle for a TM pistol.

Splatoon is next Sunday's destination.

Weapons used:
Hurricane/G&P SR47
Double Bell AKMS
Milbro M1911 Classic (CO2)

i was on your team that day. it got hot in the mortar pits with that sun bearing down on us.

was a good day 

6 hours ago, oddjob said:

i was on your team that day. it got hot in the mortar pits with that sun bearing down on us.

was a good day 

It was a bit warm, wasn't it?

1 hour ago, Colin Allen said:

It was a bit warm, wasn't it?

Just a tad. it was my first game of the year as well so struggled abit

53 minutes ago, oddjob said:

Just a tad. it was my first game of the year as well so struggled abit

At least you had a good game day for your first game of the year.  The defence of the woods was epic.

Edited by Colin Allen

Fun day again today. Only about 40 players , so tactical play was on. Both teams fought very hard, we were 3-0 up when I left, but that was I think down to us working ever so slightly better as a team. Each game was very close.

Ran Gas all day, the WE based L119 A2 performed as well as ever, amate used my MP7 and had a blast with it, and the M249 was just so much fun, the noise alone keeps heads down 😂

I left half way through game 4 so I could get home to watch the rugby.

Mixed morning at Driver Wood this past Saturday. I opted to play the first game with the L96 bolt action and upgraded Mk23. Had some great success - achieving around 7 or 8 'eliminations' in equal part with each of the Mk23 and the sniper - whilst only being taken out myself 4 times. Quite pleased with that ratio, and the newly opened up/cleared area of the site really lent itself to the longer range guns. My el-cheapo chinese leaf suit really came into its own - i only wear the jacket, and have modified it by sewing on patches of hessian threads to augment the nylon lines of fake leaves. For something so lightweight and cheap, it remains super effective whilst being breathable and non-snagging enough for a more active/mobile style of play. DTD holster riding on a padded molle belt was great for the MK23, but i need to rethink my storage for the rifle mags - they were a pain to get in and out of the little zip up pouch i had squeezed them into. 

Second game, i opted to bring ditch the leaf suit and rely on the rather effective Partizan/SS Leto camo suit and run the Cyma M14. Unfortunately it seems to be suffering a bit of an intermittent wiring fault, so cue some rather comical moments when i should have got the drop on handfulls of enemy players only for the rifle to refuse to fire, with inevitable consequences. I also tried running .28 bbs in it for the first time (not bringing any .25s to the site with me), and it was stubbornly refusing to lift them. A bit of a strip down, re-wire, and a upgrade with a macaron is in store i think! Might also try to pop in a ZCI tightbore at the same time to make use of the 20fps headroom that i have before hitting the 350fps site limit....

18 hours ago, Colin Allen said:

Today was my second visit to Splatoon, near Wickford in Essex.  This is a classic paintball site that also holds regular airsoft days.

The day started very late as there were far more players that the organisers expected, some of whom arrived at the last minute; I would have started the day without them and let them join the second game but I am not a site owner.

We started off with a simple domination game, which did not start until 10:50(!); teams had to turn each of three spinners spread across the site; to their colour to show their dominance of each area.  I spent most of the game in the top field, which has a lot of structures made of containers, old cars and two helicopters at opposite ends of the field.  We were coming from the slightly more difficult end of the field and, despite reaching the spinner on two occasions, did not manager to have it on our colour for long enough.  We lost the game 2-1 as our colleagues in one of the other fields did rather better.

After a spell in the safe zone to mag up, we went out for a game of fallback; the attackers, who regened on a marshal, had to clear three zones in a particular order, being unable to attack the next zone until they had cleared the previous one; once they called clear, a time penalty of 30 seconds was imposed for each surviving defender in that zone.  Defenders had one life in each zone.  After clearing the three zones, they them had to enter the fourth zone and get a player to the grey helicopter.

We were the defenders and did a good job of slowing the enemy's advance; in the second zone, I found a great position on our right flank, where I was able to take out a number of attackers who were trying to outflank us, before eventually getting potted when they broke through the centre.

In the next zone, which contained the black helicopter, our defence held for some time until the enemy eventually punched through, forcing us back into the final zone to defend the grey helicopter.  Again, I found a nice flanking position, just inside the woods, from where I was again able to take out a number of the enemy.  I heard one of them telling his mates exactly where I was, so I changed position and shot them as they attempted to assault my previous position.  Eventually, I was hit but, while starting to walk back to the safe zone, the enemy's attack timed out.

We then broke for lunch (nice veggie burgers!), during which I received a message from the lad telling me that the team of which he was 2i/c and navigator had completed Cambrian Patrol, being awarded silver; I am a very proud father.  Clearly, all those summers on Dartmoor helping him learn to navigate had some impact.

After lunch, we took over the attacking role in the fallback game, clearing the first two zones rather rapidly after deciding that it was better to take a couple of 30 second time penalties rather than waste five minutes searching for a couple of Bush Wookies.  The third stage was a lot slower as just getting into the field and past the black helicopter is quite tough.  Eventually, through teamwork and some great use of pyro, we forced our way into the final zone, getting players to the grey helicopter with about 90 seconds remaining.

After another quick mag up, we played a game where our team, starting in the woods, had to get a VIP to either of the helicopters; if the VIP was hit, the game ended, so we decided to leave him at the rear with a couple of bodyguards while we got on with launching a diversionary attack on the black helicopter and, slightly later, the main attack on the grey helicopter.  We had infinite lives respawning on a marshal while the defenders had three lives in the top field.  I have no idea what the outcome was as I was involved in the diversionary attack on the black helicopter, which was great fun, especially storming one of the building complexes with pyro.

Despite the late start, it was a really good day, with well thought out games and effective marshalling from a professional but friendly team.

Weapons used:
Classic Army HK33
Classic Army HK53
Milbro Classic M1911 (CO2)

5b886d80-649c-4a8a-b56f-230285c4ed3d.jpeg

I was shocked at the amount of people there yesterday, I don't think I've ever seen it so busy!

Always enjoy the day at Splatoon though, and you hit the nail on the head with your description.

5 hours ago, JinxDuh said:

I was shocked at the amount of people there yesterday, I don't think I've ever seen it so busy!

Always enjoy the day at Splatoon though, and you hit the nail on the head with your description.

Thanks, I have enjoyed both of my visits there; the lad did as well when he came the first time.  It will be a regular part of my rotation of sites now; it offers something very different from AP and Tower.

finally managed to get out to play again after a couple of months due to various circumstances, and booked in at RIFT REDCON-2.

got to site and got booked in early made sure i was at chrono early in order to set up my VFC M249 (having fitted an adjustable velocity valve in the nozzle, it needed dialling in... due to the cold temperatures i was only able to get 0.7J out of the gun, but once the temperatures rose, i rechronoed and was getting 1.1J) then off for a cup of tea to warm up, chat with friends i haven't seen for a while and then load up for briefing and team assignment. i ended up on red team

first half of the day was a 2 hour total war, with red team having to secure "data recorders" and the blue team needing to capture laptops and each team having use of a "snatch" Land Rover driven by a marshall that we could direct where we wanted it to go.  i decided i would board the land rover and after conferring with the marshall/driver and the others who decided to board as well, we decided the best option was to use the land rover to take our fireteam to the opposite side of the land in a snatch and grab before the enemy team could reach the data recorders and lock them down.  we were successful in seizing the objectives and returning them to our respawn before heading off for a second set of data recorders at the top of the land which were captured, but i got shot out before the objectives were secured and had to walk back to respawn, where i realised my red dot had been shot out.  on our way out to both objectives i had been operating as top gunner and managed to keep the enemy's heads down,  and i believe i managed to get 2 or 3 kills on our way out to the second objective (having not seen a soul to and from the first objective) before being hit and had to be replaced as top gunner while i got mediced by one of the rest of the fireteam.   definitely a fun experience, though next time i will probably run smaller weapons, as the M249 with the box mag gas tank coupled with the high roof of the land rover meant i had to stand on the front pair of seats to get a decent aim and not appear to be blind firing out the roof hatch

the rest of the morning was spent moving between different firefights trying to provide support as best as i could, before needing to duck out for 20 mins to reload mags and grab a drink from my car and then returning for the last 30 mins of game time, where i also decided to drop down to my GBB Skorpion to enable me to move through one of the CQB areas much easier.

lunch break was spent tinkering with my guns, reloading mags, chatting and browsing the onsite shop before back out for the afternoon which consisted of two 50 min games where attackers had to activate beacons at set locations then defend them for as long as possible while defenders had to turn them off.

first game red team was attacking and i joined the attack on one location, got shot out and by the time i returned we had captured the location,  so a group of us headed to the next location thinking it was going to be a tough nut to crack.  the location was a fenced compound with only one gate as entry and the inside of the fence had an earth bank with tall bushes running around the inside edge which made getting a look inside impossible. this, combined with the fact it was close to the blue team respawn meant that a group of us spent almost 10 mins sneaking around the fence line and ducking down whenever we saw movement ahead and praying we didnt get spotted all while listening to the voices of the players inside the objective compound.  we finally reached the gate and were about to launch a massive assault, only for one of the group to take a peek and realise that the voices from the compound belonged to a group of fellow red team who had already captured the objective and were holding it.  having seen a large group of blues heading back to their spawn half of us decided to hang around with the other defenders in case blues should try and swarm us,  but no one appeared

after a quick break to rearm, the game was reversed and blue team became the attackers.  this game i definately felt i was spending more time walking back to respawn compared to the other games,  but i was able to set a good ambush on a group of enemies.

while moving through the bushes between respawn and one of the heavily contested areas i heard voices approaching and i ducked behind a bush on top of a small ridge and waited for the voices to get nearer, and they turned out to be a blue patrol trying to flank the red team attacking from their rear. from my position i was mostly hidden and able to fire through a small gap in the bushes, and took out all 5 of the enemy players with a few bursts from the 249, while the few shots in return all missed wildly or were caught by the branches of the bush.  staying in the position i was then able to take out two more enemies that came out to try and medic the patrol before i heard my team mates moving up again and i decided to join the assault, where i got shot out.  by the time i had respawned and begun heading back to the fight, the game was over.

definitely enjoyed myself, and i hope to be able to get out more regularly in the near future

12 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Low turn out today at Spec Ops - less than 40 with a fair few rentals.  The blue team ended up with a lot of newbies (to the site) and skins ended up with more regulars.  The first timers were evenly split, but the end result was a little embarrassing for the blues.   They moved a few of us regulars over at lunch which made a big difference to the outcomes and made the day more fun.  Overall the smaller numbers were a benefit because it allowed the more experienced player help the first timers.  Weather and conditions  were also perfect with zero wind, gorgeous sunshine and a nice 12 degrees.

Muggins here was responsible for a fair few friendly on friendly kills - but i put that down to having teammates appearing from places I had recently spotted enemies advancing from.

I only took 4 pews - Glock 17, DE Honey Badger, ICS L85 and SVU.   The latter  of which chrono'd too low, and was pewing in a weird arc.

L85, when  powered by an 11.1 was pretty much an LMG.  But didn't like firing on semi.  Stick a 7.4 in there and it was fine, if not a little lethargic.  Either way the fecker was laser accurate up to 45 metres and with .28s was cutting through the foliage nicely halting the advances of those thinking they were hidden.  

During a stint for the blues after lunch, I was holding one of the barrels that formed the bridge.  Skins made a big push just as I suffered a dead battery.  With no time to run to the spawn where my spare was, I switched to semi and pulled out my Glock.  Problem being I knew I hadn't had a chance to gas them up at lunch; so it was a case of very carefully selected shots from the AEG and my three glock mags to cover the skins' advanced long enough for backup to come to my calls.

End result was a victory for us thanks to the backup from teammates.

Which meant too that I had great pleasure in getting the site's resident "runner" three times as he tried to push the objectives - there are a couple of regular teenagers renowned for rushing objectives so quickly that a defending team not prepared has no chance. - hence the marshalls moving me from team to team.  

LMG mode:

525719825_Screenshot2023-10-22231657(Medium).thumb.jpg.ba681399a3c378b3286e70895a77a535.jpg

Mando (regular mad sprinter) and I getting ready to extract the pilot:

1330988820_Screenshot2023-10-22231759(Medium).thumb.jpg.78591732c830f8537444a6687f578fc6.jpg

is that foregrip any good?

looks uncomfortable asf. 

Another quality session at District 23. Went to try out my L85A2 to find that my Sotac EXPS3 wouldn't adjust low enough for the BBs to actually land within the reticule. While trying to adjust it, it seems I turned the adjustment screw way past where it should have went and broke something and it's stuck all the way down. I didn't feel any resistance or a stop... it's like it just unscrewed from whatever adjusts the reticule. Didn't want to risk it with my HW S1. That was annoying.

The issue with the height over bore being so big is that i'm literally not looking at the target when firing. To make things worse, because G&G are special, they made their version of the L85A2 outer barrel unthreaded so I can't fit a tracer to just walk my BBs onto the target and I have to use the optic. I have a smaller, and slightly lower, RMR styled 20mm RIS red dot that i'll try next time but in the mean time if any L85 owners have any suggestions, i'm all ears.

Once I realised the L85 wasn't going to be an option I changed out to my MP9 as I had such fun with it last time and this time was no different. Quality bit of kit, I think i'll be using sub-guns at indoors sites from now on as it's just so much easier to move through the tighter spaces. Trying to move around doorways with my Mk18 with the 12" handguard is a pain.

Many grenades were thrown during a game of 'main street' and the enemy team apparently had some cases of brown trousers.

Edited by MrTea

• Supporters
10 hours ago, MrTea said:

Trying to move around doorways with my Mk18 with the 12" handguard is a pain.

But....a MK18 doesn't have a 12" handguard.

I've not played where you are but at The Mall I managed to use a 14.5" M4, a SCAR-L and even an M249 Para. Must be REALLY tight at District 23!

11 hours ago, MrTea said:

Many grenades were thrown during a game of 'main street' and the enemy team apparently had some cases of brown trousers.

Love this site. My regular spot. Don't come across many forum members who play there. I too have come to conclusion that sun guns are better here. The reason I want to shorten my MWS to a CQBR length barrel. I love using the gun but its tight in there. Always a good laugh and great staff. 

I wiped out the last half of the enemy team using a frag on main street madness. Got told after that that grenades weren't allowed on that game but we still took the win with an agreed rematch then still won that too.

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

But....a MK18 doesn't have a 12" handguard.

I've not played where you are but at The Mall I managed to use a 14.5" M4, a SCAR-L and even an M249 Para. Must be REALLY tight at District 23!

11 hours ago, The Waco Kid said:

Eh? 

But isn’t 9.55 inches enough? 😭

The AEG I built using the Mk18 style handguard uses the 12" handguard because I couldn't get the 10" (or 7") version at the time for love nor money so I had to use a 12". With it, I can't lean through a doorway and aim at a 90 degree angle where with the MP9 I can. Like I said sub-guns are definitely looking like the best way forward for indoors play. It doesn't bother me that much as the AEG is unbelievably good when I use it outdoors so I don't plan on changing it.

5 minutes ago, Khyber said:

Love this site. My regular spot. Don't come across many forum members who play there. I too have come to conclusion that sun guns are better here. The reason I want to shorten my MWS to a CQBR length barrel. I love using the gun but its tight in there. Always a good laugh and great staff. 

I wiped out the last half of the enemy team using a frag on main street madness. Got told after that that grenades weren't allowed on that game but we still took the win with an agreed rematch then still won that too.

It's tight but not so much that you'd notice at first, but the doorways feel slightly thinner than they should be but without measuring it, I couldn't say :D

They've rethought that 'no grenades' rule on main street because it just turns into a grind fest of two people constantly tagging each other back in behind cover with no way to clear them out.

Edited by MrTea

To be fair, I used to exclusively use an MP5 or DE UTR smg on indoor CQB, but even then found the length of those restrictive. These days i almost exclusively use a pistol indoors - enabling getting onto target around door frames/walls etc much quicker whilst presenting less of the body for the enemy to target. And supremely satisfying at the same time!

1 hour ago, MrTea said:

It's tight but not so much that you'd notice at first, but the doorways feel slightly thinner than they should be but without measuring it, I couldn't say :D

They've rethought that 'no grenades' rule on main street because it just turns into a grind fest of two people constantly tagging each other back in behind cover with no way to clear them out.

Yeah I agree, lots of places a long gun is fine but also lots where you're severely restricted. Good to hear about the grenade rule. Will make for a much more intense game but also more manageable. Do you ever do Sundays there? That's the day I usually play.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, MrTea said:

With it, I can't lean through a doorway and aim at a 90 degree angle where with the MP9 I can.

That made my back hurt just reading it. Forgive me but what do you mean by lean through a doorway and shoot at 90 degrees?  90 degrees to what?

26 minutes ago, Lozart said:

That made my back hurt just reading it. Forgive me but what do you mean by lean through a doorway and shoot at 90 degrees?  90 degrees to what?

I think he means that if someone is against the wall next to a doorway it's easier to learn through the doorway and get a shot off at them with a pistol or SMG than with a longer rifle/carbine. For example in the picture below (yes, I know I've got no artistic ability) the green is the shooter and red is the target. Here as green leans through the doorway they can have the pistol up and ready to fire as they move rather than having to manoeuvre the muzzle round the door frame20231026_131709.thumb.jpg.07656cd2eee94a32299fcadf043d61ac.jpg

55 minutes ago, Khyber said:

Yeah I agree, lots of places a long gun is fine but also lots where you're severely restricted. Good to hear about the grenade rule. Will make for a much more intense game but also more manageable. Do you ever do Sundays there? That's the day I usually play.

Sometimes when my shift rota allows. Recently it's been the Wednesday or Friday nights. I've only been to one or two Sunday sessions.

51 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I worded it poorly, let me try again. I walk to a doorway and I know there's another player to my right hugging the wall on the outside of the building. He's on my right at a 90 degree angle from me. With the AEG I built, it's so long I cannot have it shouldered and aimed forward and move through the doorway at the same time while aiming at the player, even when putting the stock over my shoulder (or under my arm) to reduce the length. I have to change to a high or low ready which takes the gun off target. With the MP9 I can keep it aimed forward and move through the doorway already aiming where the player is.

Basically rifle too long, wont fit through doorway while horizontal. MP9 short, fits fine.

It would appear that cannonfodders impressive artistic interpretation has got it covered.

Edited by MrTea