Petition to get the UK government to relax laws on airsoft

Kieran621

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Why?

^^^^+1

In another post, it states that airsoft does not come under firearms law because "the projectile does not travel fast enough" to kill someone

So again, what laws are there governing airsoft that you want "relaxed" ??

You can argue that the vcra is a lar restricting airsoft, but I don't think it's particularly harsh or lenient. Perhaps there could be a formal intergration of UKARA, or a more closely managed alternative, but I don't see a problem with the system we have now, except that it only takes two months and a hundred quids worth of membership and skirmishes to let any nutter get their hands on something that could be used to facilitate violent crime like carjacking or robbery

Well seeing as how currently I can't even see the contents of the petition I am not going to be signing anything. Other than removing the UKARA requirement what else would airsofters possibly want? To walk the streets with the RIFs in hand? For children to have access to RIFs? About the only thing I think is worth removing is the UKARA requirement from RIF purchases but honestly its a minor inconvience nothing more. You wont find me voting for children to be buying IFs and RIFs, they are dangerous if not treated with appropriate caution and frankly I think that ought to push an amount of adult supervision at all times, in the same way I think any firearm ought to involve an adult when being handled by youngsters.

But the contents of the petition isn't clear (just a link to the vote, seriously you got 4 other people to sign it without seeing the wording?) so I'll wait until I can see what it is your asking for.

You've created a Petition to remind the govt it exists? As if what's going on in scotland was not enough.

Let's face it, we're all waiting to discover this petition was made by someone without understanding of UKARA's innate nature. :ph34r:

Don't think the legislation on airsoft needs to change. It needs to be viewed in the correct light and what it's designed to do. In my opinion the ukara system is there to preserve the sport/hobby we all enjoy, in some countries rifs/airsoft are banned! That's not to say I don't think it has issues. Sadly, I fear like many things in this world it will be the idiots that destroy it for the rest of us and relaxing the laws will just make it easier for them. I have been around firearms for a number of years and be it shotguns, riffles or rifs they need controlling. I believe there could be a better system but I can't think of one......... (Remove soap box 😃)

I have been around firearms for a number of years and be it shotguns, riffles or rifs they need controlling. I believe there could be a better system but I can't think of one......... (Remove soap box )

Actual licensing - but that would cost money, UKARA pays for and regulates itself (capitalist motivation lol) despite the fact that it is ultimately (so far at least) meaningless.

At least we've got it easy compared to some countries, it's not even hard to get yourself registered and get a defence.

we can say the VCR Act is stupid / doesn't work etc but doubt the gov would amend it anyway

• 2 weeks later...
  • Head Moderator

He's just posted on Zeroin

Having just looked at Zeroin forum, overwhelming verdict of NO to any under 18 being able to buy a RIF. I agree, definitely NO!

• Supporters

Making a petition like this a day after a 16yo and two 17yo's were arrested by armed police officers and released on bail pending inquiries when they got a RIF out in public in Hanley, Stoke-on-trent is a massively dumb move.

• Supporters

I tried to find this guys petition but it didn't seem to show up in the list of active petitions. However some of the ones that are on there are just batSh!t crazy!

i know i shouldn't have been trusted with a rif when I was under 18, and kids aint getting any better behaved!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.