Is used military surplus equipment safe?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, I am thinking about buying some used equipment such as goggles and BDUs from a military surplus store, however, is this safe? I am thinking along the lines of exposure to chemicals whilst in the field, or even radiation. Is there some sort of guarantee for safety?

Maybe I am just being paranoid....

Thanks anyway.

Depends on what its sold as in terms of whether its ever been deployed. Of course there are no guarantees, but if it bothers you, just buy unissued surplus.

I suppose its conceivable that kit that has been used in the gulf could have been exposed, but its a small chance.

I often wonder what the long term effect of carrying microwave transmitters (mobile phones) near my gonads is and what effect sitting in the same room as a wifi hub is. Who the hell knows.

You never know they have been experimenting on soldiers for years, look at gulf war syndrome. Might have been contaminated by chemicals or some sort of drug you could get some trousers and end up growing a third testicle.

Dont get anything American for god sake it could be from area 51 and be carrying a deadly alien pathogen or a little bug that could burrow into your brain and take control of you.

Got to go and put my anti esp tinfoil hat on now think the feds are monitoring me again.

You shouldn't have said that, the Illuminati will read it and "eliminate" you.

Any military surplus will be safe as any contaminated equipment will be destroyed

I had to exchange some combat trousers with the stores as I got battery acid on them (never dropped my trousers so quick) & my mate had to exhange his NBC trousers when they got torn on barbed wire

I would just like to point out that I have never met ImTriggerHappy, have no idea who he is and would actively like to disassociate myself from anything he says.

#justsayinglike.

Just on a serious note just incase, military surplus goggles do not automatically mean they'll be airsoft safe eye protection-whether they've been exposed to alien probes or not. Check their rating before using them.

• Supporters

Just on a serious note just incase, military surplus goggles do not automatically mean they'll be airsoft safe eye protection-whether they've been exposed to alien probes or not. Check their rating before using them.

Anything currently issued probably will be fine. The ESS, Revision etc stuff is all stanag rated and as such is way higher spec then EN166.

Anything currently issued probably will be fine. The ESS, Revision etc stuff is all stanag rated and as such is way higher spec then EN166.

Maybe, but the chap needs to check either way.

• Supporters

Try them a few shots with the most powerful gun on the site before use.

Or just check for standards markings....

Bloody hogwarts selling off their uniforms again?

Word of warning - always wash the surplus Hermione stuff that's third hand through ebay.

I'd be more concerned about the hazardous materials rubbing off from average soldiers desert-heat-sweaty-hairy-ass onto the inside of the kit than any external exposure to DE/hot rounds etc :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.