Macks airsoft dreamers of the week thread

Mack
Message added by proffrink

Mod note: Yes, you can discuss any airsoft-related listing from any website in this thread. This includes listings on AF-UK itself.

Please stay on topic (i.e. about these items). Off-topic posts will be removed.

There's plenty more source material/imagery of the actual rifle online. So them using an angled shot will give them an excuse to be less than accurate. Being a Sig, is the G&G 16 actually a good base rifle? 

Sorry to derail the thread further. Should probably have its own in the news section or DCA dreamers.

2 hours ago, BYRNEMORGAN52 said:

You say that but bolster keeps selling out regardless of how overpriced they are.

You say that but bolster keeps selling out regardless of how overpriced they are.

It's a common trick in sales to deliberately restrict supply to keep prices high. When they are in stock how many do shops get compared to other rifs?

Edited by Cannonfodder

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, OTH21 said:

Being a Sig, is the G&G 16 actually a good base rifle? 

KS1 is a Knights Armament rifle.

1 hour ago, rj1986 said:

7x L85/L86 highly accurate replicas...and a 2 tone.

1 replica, 2 springers & 4 AEG's

we don't talk about the 2 tone.

6 hours ago, MrTea said:

I also like how he claims 45rps but the gun's broke atm because of the shredded piston teeth so he can't actually prove it's capable of that ROF

I wonder if those two things are related... 

13 hours ago, Skullchewer said:

the IDF used to use G3s/FALS and I hate the look of AUGs, which they now use. 

I thought the IDF used Tavors now? (which to some are still ugly, but hey, I love em).

• Supporters
1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

I wonder if those two things are related... 

I thought the IDF used Tavors now? (which to some are still ugly, but hey, I love em).

1 hour ago, Archer said:

IDF ?

Direct from Shot Show 2023 - the

IMI stand.

Tavor's 🙂

The chap looking after it hadnt seen the WT QR sticker - he was very amused once i pointed it out to him

20230118_155716.jpg

20230118_155712.jpg

20230118_155722.jpg

Yer got yer Israeli defence force, & yer lesser publicised Irish defence force, which I'd also forgotten about. 

CompleteUnripeArabianwildcat-mobile.jpg

• Supporters
1 hour ago, rj1986 said:

Getting back to silly ads....

Each character in the description is worth £15

https://www.airsoft-hub.com/item/23097-silverback-sniper-heavily-upgr

gotta love it, no detail of exactly what was replaced, why it was replaced, what the replacement part is, or even any claim (let alone guarantee) that the replacement part netted any improvement in performance over the original.

22 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

I did chuckle at the irony.... Several people made a similar observation at REDCON 2 the other day 🤣🤣

Truthfully that's why I got the style of L85 I got.... I really want a blowback version, but I didn't want the realism that much that it was going to cost me silly money. I had a very hard limit on what I was willing to spend, and. I wasn't goi g to pay the kinda money a SUSAT or ELCAN goes for. 

no offence but the A3 handguard is shit

• Supporters
On 27/07/2023 at 12:38, OTH21 said:

That is indeed the Sig offering for the same project tender. There's quite an interesting thread about why the KS1 isn't the best choice here: 

• Supporters
On 28/07/2023 at 12:40, Lozart said:

That is indeed the Sig offering for the same project tender. There's quite an interesting thread about why the KS1 isn't the best choice here: 

What's the colossal error ?, I'm not on twitter so can't follow the thread ? 

11 minutes ago, Tackle said:

What's the colossal error ?, I'm not on twitter so can't follow the thread ? 

In a nutshell - here are the arguments presented (heavily paraphrased):

- not made in the UK

- Wrong Calibre (they want 6.5 or 6.8mm)

- Not modular enough to re-equip with .300 BLK BCGs and Barrels easily for sneaky sneaky work.

- Direct Impingment = Runs too hot for sustained fire (apparently)

- Direct Impingment = no good for general infantry as they cannot clean it properly (apparently)

- Direct Impingment  = crap suppressed performance with excessive gas to user's face (apparently)

- Should be a piston gun.

Doesn't matter that the US Military have been running these type of guns for that last 50+ years, and will be for decades to come - even with the M7 rollout (if that actually happens).

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

In a nutshell - here are the arguments presented (heavily paraphrased):

- not made in the UK

- Wrong Calibre (they want 6.5 or 6.8mm)

- Not modular enough to re-equip with .300 BLK BCGs and Barrels easily for sneaky sneaky work.

- Direct Impingment = Runs too hot for sustained fire (apparently)

- Direct Impingment = no good for general infantry as they cannot clean it properly (apparently)

- Direct Impingment  = crap suppressed performance with excessive gas to user's face (apparently)

Doesn't matter that the US Military have been running these type of guns for that last 50+ years, and will be for decades to come - even with the M7 rollout (if that actually happens).

Thanks for the info, I'm still slightly confused though, your first paragraph highlights what look like glaring valid issues, but in the second one you mention the yanks using similar kit for decades with no interest in changing them, in your opinion is the rifle in question actually worth having, or another massive waste of money for kit not fit for purpose but chosen by remf pen pushers at the Mod etc ?. 

1 minute ago, Tackle said:

but in the second one you mention the yanks using similar kit for decades with no interest in changing them

The second paragraph is me - the bullet points are the Twitter author's view paraphrased.

The platform is fine - but it's just a very well made M4. Nothing new. No space-wizard shit-hot unobtanium cool new technology. Just a nicely built M4.

The UK already has a similarly-well built M4 already in inventory (albeit in limited numbers) - it's called the Colt Canada/Diemaco L119A1/2 - as used by those special folks and a some RM and RMP units.

I think the author is pissed as this selection process (Project HUNTER) for the Rangers/Royal Marines could feed into to the wider Project GRAYBURN to replace the L85 completely in HM Armed Forces use. Buying a fairly standard (but quite cool looking) M4 platform and using existing 5.56 ammunition could be argued as a wasted (once in a generation) opportunity - instead of buying into something with higher lethality and better ballistic performance to defeat modern body armour. I think the author wants something more gucci to align with the US DoD M7 program (i.e. a Sig-based Piston Driven 6.8mm platform).

But the KS-1 will work just fine - like the millions of other Direct Impingement 5.56mm M4 guns in use all over the world.

Something to consider also is that the American's will eventually force Nato to adopt the 6.8 round as they did with the 7.62 and them 5.56 round. This may be a few years away and will only happen if the US find that the 6.8 is all it is cracked up to be. If it does happen there will be a flood of countries and companies producing new rifles in 6.8 and the ability to manufacture the new round (as it's quite complex). This would be the ideal time for the UK to develop a new rifle however we don't know how to do that any more as no one is allowed a gun and even replicas firing 6mm bb's are frowned upon. The mostly likely outcome will be similar to the SLR and we will buy the rights to produce our own home built version of someone else's rifle.

Probably best to stick to a known good rifle pattern until the new round starts making headway into Nato and might have been a driver for the KS-1 selection. The A2's in the armoury aren't a good option as they were procured to replace the worn out A1's and the A2's are now getting to the same point in their life.

More telling is the lack of L85's being issued to the newly formed units and indicates that there is a push to remove the stanglehold the L85 seems to have over the Armed Forces. It's not the worst rifle in the world but it doesn't matter how much you upgrade it, you can't polish a turd. The amount of mangles A2 stamped steel receivers I seen on the armourers bench down in Helmand would give a good indication of just how cheap it really is.

8 hours ago, mightyjebus said:

This would be the ideal time for the UK to develop a new rifle

In an era where the entirety of the Army and Royal Marines couldn't even fill the seats of Wembley stadium, there is little economic sense to design something new just for UK use. Perhaps if there's an appetite to partner with other nations then it could be more feasible, but design by (multinational) committee will invariably add cost and time to the procurement process.

There's little sense in licensing another design for UK production either - the numbers are too low for effective cost savings - any savings will be negated by the start up and tooling costs for such a short production run.

FN has manufacturing capability in the UK through the FNHUK subsidiary - but only for FN products.

11 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

These guys using it would probably will know better than me, but i though the suppressed issue was a thing of 20 years ago, when ammo and rifles were basically bulk buy from the lowest bidder and caused cycle failures and the like.

But now with better ammo and more interchangeable parts and tuning, you can go back to DI systems as they are (reportedly) more accurate suppressed? Hence why some teams are moving away from the 416 and to Noveskes. Also allows for more of a tool kit as there are a gazillion spare parts.

Edited by rj1986

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Speedbird_666 said:

there is little economic sense to design something new just for UK use

Except that every penny we spend will leave our economy, and we'll always be an importer.  Tooling up would have allowed us to become an exporter, at least in theory - although our recent track record isn't great. I'm sure the poor bloody infantry will be happier being issued a decent system that actually works rather than a great one that doesn't (bites tongue on Ajax rant).