Why does everyone love Glocks so much?

Lozart

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I don't get it. Personally I'm not a fan for both ergonomic and aesthetic reasons (I find them too small for my bear-like hands and they just look like toys) but why does everyone else seem to love them so much? It almost feels to me as if they're the iPhone of the pistol world - everyone has to have one because it's what everyone else has! By the same token it makes it incredibly hard to buy accessories for anything that isn't an iGlock (holsters and such).

I'm sure there's good reasons for buying the real weapon but do those same reasons hold true in airsoft?

ya i know what you mean, they fit in my hand perfect though. I had a Sig 226 before it was stolen and thinking i will get a G18 next. I cant fault the Sig was amazing just like the idea of full auto last resort

• Supporters

Cheap, reliable, easily interchangeable parts, super easy to strip, super easy to maintain, have a good kick, gas efficient, parts are all over. i could go on.

Cause and effect though - there's loads of parts because loads of people buy them. And let's face it any GBB pistol is going to be pretty easy to strip because there's just not THAT much to them.

I think there are a few good reasons for a replica glock that are also what makes the real steel popular:

- Its light due to the polymer design.

- The trigger safety means you leave the gun loaded and just draw and fire.

- The lack of safety switch means you'll never pull the trigger and get nothing (well if its loaded).

- Interchangeable sights

- Rails for attaching flashlights and such

The 226 being my other gun has a decock and double action but that is almost always a terrible accuracy first shot on draw and its really heavy compared to the KWA ATP I have.

Then you can go into the parts argument from the airsoft side for upgrades and such.

• Supporters

ya i know what you mean, they fit in my hand perfect though. I had a Sig 226 before it was stolen and thinking i will get a G18 next. I cant fault the Sig was amazing just like the idea of full auto last resort

That's part of the problem for me - they're just too small for me. Looking at either a Sig 226R or an HK45 next. Maybe a USP Tactical though (currently use an M9A1 which I love).

Im not the biggest Glock fan but I do have one as im a sucker for trying to get unit impressions correct. Much prefer my old PX4 or an XDM.

• Supporters

Im not the biggest Glock fan but I do have one as im a sucker for trying to get unit impressions correct. Much prefer my old PX4 or an XDM.

Now I can see this as a good reason for having one - if you're doing a specific loadout then it makes sense. Seeing all the US inspired loadouts makes me wonder though why more people aren't using M9's and Sigs. Or even 1911s!

• Supporters

My fav is a glock 17, but that's just cause it's my favorite modern pistol real steel. (I enjoy my great grandfather's revolver more though) I also like the ergonomics of the g17. That said, I do any t get my hands on a nice 1911...

• Supporters

I think there are a few good reasons for a replica glock that are also what makes the real steel popular:

- Its light due to the polymer design.

- The trigger safety means you leave the gun loaded and just draw and fire.

- The lack of safety switch means you'll never pull the trigger and get nothing (well if its loaded).

- Interchangeable sights

- Rails for attaching flashlights and such

The 226 being my other gun has a decock and double action but that is almost always a terrible accuracy first shot on draw and its really heavy compared to the KWA ATP I have.

Then you can go into the parts argument from the airsoft side for upgrades and such.

Now this is a reply I can get on board with!

These features ARE available in other guns though (granted not necessarily all of them in one gun). Is it simply a matter of convenience for most people or do people actually think Glocks look good? Genuine question by the way, not trying to be as facetious as that probably sounds :)

As for the parts and upgrades, yes - you're right there are more available for Glocks but is that just because that's all that people buy? What started the whole airsoft Glock epidemic in the first place I wonder? Is it because they're genuinely better than everything else on the market or just because that's what the manufacturers have made? If all you sell is cheddar, it's going to be pretty easy to say "people only buy cheddar".

• Supporters

Now this is a reply I can get on board with!

These features ARE available in other guns though (granted not necessarily all of them in one gun). Is it simply a matter of convenience for most people or do people actually think Glocks look good? Genuine question by the way, not trying to be as facetious as that probably sounds :)

As for the parts and upgrades, yes - you're right there are more available for Glocks but is that just because that's all that people buy? What started the whole airsoft Glock epidemic in the first place I wonder? Is it because they're genuinely better than everything else on the market or just because that's what the manufacturers have made? If all you sell is cheddar, it's going to be pretty easy to say "people only buy cheddar".

I honestly love the Glock.

The real Glocks are good pistols, but personally I dont like their appearance so I dont bother with them in Airsoft.

I have H&K, SIG, Walther, Beretta, S&W and love them all for different pros and cons, but I really cant get warmed up about Glocks.

So many units use them, if you are going for realistic loadouts, its quite hard to ignore them.

• Supporters

I'm not overly concerned about the looks, glocks fit my hand perfectly though and all the controls are within easy reach of my thumb.

Helps also that the glock is also my work gun, but I had an airsoft glock long before the MoD got rid of the browning, so can't really put that in as a factor for what initially attracted me to the tupperware!

• Supporters

I quite like the look of them but they are a bit small for my hands. I don't actually see them very often but never got the hate for them.

I see a lot of 1911s even though they by and large aren't really that great. Funnily enough this is true of the real one too.

To be honest I never really thought much about pistol ergonomics till I got my HK45, all I really saw in it was different grip sizes. I know there are differences of course but till that point it was basically just body kits as far as I was concerned.

• Supporters

Probably because most people know that the real thing is a good gun and like that, or because they're recognisable, it can't be a practicality thing as they're no more practical than any other.

It can't be simply because of their cheapness, reliability, easiness of maintenance or availability of parts because that depends on the brand and is also true for all other popular pistols.

• Supporters

Probably because most people know that the real thing is a good gun and like that, or because they're recognisable, it can't be a practicality thing as they're no more practical than any other.

It can't be simply because of their cheapness, reliability, easiness of maintenance or availability of parts because that depends on the brand and is also true for all other popular pistols.

My thoughts exactly. It's most likely due to familiarity through TV and film use I guess... (hence the "BUY JACK BAUERS PISTOL" hype surrounding the USP compact)

I won one and have only used it couple times, prefer my FN5-7, does the job though!

I agree it's probably a perpetuated thing rather than having enough merit to justify. And the real-steal is quite popular with many military/police groups the whitmans out there like to emulate.

• Supporters

That's what I heard.

Oh - sorry - you said "Glock"!

Damnit Lozart, I thought we were friends :(

;)

I have a Glock 17, the only time it failed me was when I used the wrong gas in the winter!

It's not that it is lightweight, because the polymer body makes it very top heavy, but I got it cheap with my first IF purchase and i've used it for nearly two years now.

I guess it does what I need it to and i have no real need or intention to replace it. The only complaint I hold is with the mags!

• Supporters

I agree it's probably a perpetuated thing rather than having enough merit to justify. And the real-steal is quite popular with many military/police groups the whitmans out there like to emulate.

Thats part of the problem with airsoft people tend to forget its a game using toy guns and try to treat it like its real life. A lot of people buy it because its on tv a lot and they have heard its one of the best handguns in the world. The fact that its not real seems to escape them. I actually get quite pissed off with the whole real steel thing. People should just buy whats comfortable and looks nice to their eyes.

I actually quite like the way they look and feel in the hand but would only buy one if it was a really good bargain because of the whole applesheep thing going on with them.

• Root Admin

Highly functional and therefore rather iconic these days. Personally I'd never buy a Glock 17 because they're a bit boring, but the 18c is rather fun in airsoft and does something that no other Marui GBB does with its select fire, so that's why I went for it really.

Its all about the safety for me. Seen too many people pull out their sidearm and then realise the safety is on and get hit in return. So I have vowed to stick with double action/decock and trigger safety guns just because the negligent discharge impact is so low. I prefer lightweight since its a secondary and having medium sized hands I prefer not to get anything really big nor anything with very large amounts of sculpting. I do care about it being a military weapon to an extent but I care less about that now than I did. I bought a KWA ATP after accuracy tests of multiple copies of the pistol showed its accuracy to be stunning.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.