"New" airsoft shop... What do you want to see?

NH Shooter

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My apologies all, I didn’t quite know where to put this.

But anyway… I have recently taken over an established airsoft shop (Rydair airsoft supplies) and it’s my job to make it… Well… far better than it is. It’s had a good few issues… Bad website, bad management, bad stock. But that’s what I’m there for. So I wanted to ask what people might like to see in a shop? The website is being worked on as we speak, so now’s the time to start gathering players input.

Obviously there’s a whole host of much more noted retailers, so what would be different about this place? Realistically, nothing of true note in the retail side… It will have the same brands you’re used to, and at normal prices. So why might it fare better?

The idea is to have all the services you would expect… General tech, R-Hop, custom builds, etc… But also services that don’t usually occur in other stores… Things like custom Kydex, custom paint, hydro dipping, tactical sewing, laser engraving, machine work. Also a dedicated YouTube channel for reviews, tutorials, etc. not just of airsoft equipment, but of game play, bushcraft, knives, tactics… Things of general interest. Plus some far more technical areas… CFD analysis, mathematical models, testing and development.

So what would you like to see in a “new” store?

What would make it stand out for you?

What would capture your interest?

What do you think is missing from your current favourate shop?

Any input greatly appreciated. :)

Just a personnel opinion, I'd love to go into a airsoft shop:

a) That is well organised

B) Stocked a wide variety of things

c) perhaps a beginner bit, with recommended beginner guns like the combat machine (G&G cm16)

d) Trusty and takes the time to help the customers (Marcuss outdoors really didn't help. My mums veiw of airsoft :( )

e) Took statistics well, perhaps have some online polls to see popular/ best products like what ammo do you find best for what thing so it seems friendly and helpful

Sorry if it sounds like I'm dreaming up the perfect airsoft shop but hopefully this might help :) Good luck with it!

Ha... Markus Surplus Store... Theres a name from my murky past. That place was... Interesting... When *I* was a teenager!

I dont think youre really pointing out anything extra special... That all sounds like standard proceedure, or perfectly simple to impliment.

No BS about what is actually in stock - seen too many sites listing stuff as being in then taking your money and you end up waiting ages for your AEG as they ordered from a manufacturer.

PLEASE dont do youtube "reviews"; retailers offer extremley biased opinions by their nature. At least call them a "demo" or something. Save the reviews for real buyers who have skirmished the guns and equipment and found all the niggles.

Other than that, somewhere to test the guns and some friendly, helpful and knowledgable staff is a must have

My apologies all, I didn’t quite know where to put this.

But anyway… I have recently taken over an established airsoft shop (Rydair airsoft supplies) and it’s my job to make it… Well… far better than it is. It’s had a good few issues… Bad website, bad management, bad stock. But that’s what I’m there for. So I wanted to ask what people might like to see in a shop? The website is being worked on as we speak, so now’s the time to start gathering players input.

Obviously there’s a whole host of much more noted retailers, so what would be different about this place? Realistically, nothing of true note in the retail side… It will have the same brands you’re used to, and at normal prices. So why might it fare better?

The idea is to have all the services you would expect… General tech, R-Hop, custom builds, etc… But also services that don’t usually occur in other stores… Things like custom Kydex, custom paint, hydro dipping, tactical sewing, laser engraving, machine work. Also a dedicated YouTube channel for reviews, tutorials, etc. not just of airsoft equipment, but of game play, bushcraft, knives, tactics… Things of general interest. Plus some far more technical areas… CFD analysis, mathematical models, testing and development.

So what would you like to see in a “new” store?

What would make it stand out for you?

What would capture your interest?

What do you think is missing from your current favourate shop?

Any input greatly appreciated. :)

KWA GBB/GBBr. G&G starter kits.

if you have good service, sell (and stock) G&G starter kits for same as PAS, as well as having a referral code giving AFUK a small commission - you'll make a lot of sales!

Bulk deals on Pyro (cheaper than competition if possible)

As said before, a firing range.

Stock good tactical gear, Flyye, Pantac, etc.

Bundles on tactical gear, such as chest rigs with pouches etc like UKtac do on WAS gear.

Other than that I think you're onto a good bet with the custom work. I think that's what we need more in the UK. We have retailers, we need more custom work!

A proper stock counter on the website linked to the warehouse/stockroom database- no BS about what's in stock and no more issues with website info not corroborating with stock level.

When it comes to customer service, one little thing I like to see is a picture of the complete order sent to me when it's been picked out of the warehouse. Flecktarn.co.uk are the only retailer I've used who do this, and it's quite reassuring to know what's happening in terms of hours rather than days.

An info section recommending what to and what not to buy as a new player would help people starting airsoft- it wouldn't harm business but there wouldn't be issues with breakages and returns when newer players buy GBBRs or sniper rifles which aren't suitable for beginners. It would make it much easier for them than having to fish around on the internet.

Package deals for rigs would be good too. I'd like to see bulk deals on magazine purchasing where possible too, buying a new set of mags can be very expensive after purchasing a new gun.

But I would definitely like to see a proper all-in-one customisation service- laser engraving, hydro dipping, custom sewing, custom guns put together- this would make you stand out as a retailer. It would set you apart more than a normal retailer offering spring changes and parts installation.

Built in strip club, bars, hot tu...only kidding.

Definitely have an up to date website as previously discussed. A firing range like James said so people know what they're buying. Maybe (as an airsoft retailer) offer a longer warranty than other airsoft retailers? I for one would certainly pick a retailer with a long warranty in case something goes wrong.

Presentation is everything for a shop. Maybe get some nice glass display cases with a few lights etc rather than a cluttered gun rack or wooden shelf. Also, HAVE GOOD SECURITY! Last thing you want is some muppet putting you out of profit. Price your items right. Nobody likes paying over the odds for something. Also do a fair P&P service. Don't do a JustBBGuns and charge £40 shipping for bb's because someone lives in the "Highlands" when they don't....

Hope it's a success mate.

and custom guns that arent over priced

And I'd say look at Jcheeseright's comment directly above yours as to why they are "overpriced".

• Supporters

That's exactly it, gun-teching is no way to make money.

People whinge about £15-20 labour for a spring change or r-hop installation, but when you consider that a shop likely has to pay their tech £12k+ a year (add on NI contributions, pension contributions etc) at the low end and suddenly you need that person to be making absolute minimum £40 a day to break even.

Custom guns built to order too are another pit, airsofters in general seem to be obsessed with the idea of a 'package' deal, no one's selling you a holiday! a G&P M4 with a load of extra bits added on costs the sum of it's parts and probably a bit of labour for putting it all together, you're not gonna get money off the cost of those parts when the margins are already small!

As for what I would like in a retail store with a web-outlet;

Consumables:
Reasonably priced quality BBs - note, not CHEAP, reasonably priced. These are probably going to be your bread and butter product as anyone can buy a gun and keep it for 10 years... they still have to buy BBs for it though!
Always-available reasonably priced pyro - this is where you can offer people 'bulk deals', £3 each for pea grenades or 4 for £10, your margins will be relatively small but you're guaranteed to shift them in big numbers as long as you can keep up with demand!

If you've got a CQB site nearby start selling blank firing grenades and blanks to go with them, again your margins will be smallish on the blanks but it's a consumable item people will be back for.

Gas - Abbey gases and WE Nuprol seem to be the gases of choice for most airsofters (with good reason), you can make some money on these as the wholesale costs are surprisingly low!

LiPo batteries and chargers - people are gonna buy these, might as well buy them from you!

PARTS!!! Get a good range of regularly broken bits; springs, tappet plates, hop-rubbers, inner barrels (less so, but everyone wants a tight bore for their new gun... you can even professionally fit it in store for them for a small fee!), motors, deans connectors (again... fitted for a small fee).

Big-ticket items:

A range of good-quality starter guns (combat machines anyone?) which you can sell as a starter kit with a cheap charger and a NiMh battery. Chuck in a Sansei style mask (they're SO cheap) for nothing and they'll fly out of the door.

Optics, torches, grips - airsofters love bolting shit onto their guns! Get a decent range of attachments going on and set them up near the guns, impulse buys are good for business :)

Gear/nylon/etc I can't really comment on, I haven't bought anything retail from the UK for ages so I don't know what the market is like, or what people tend to buy.

The NUMBER ONE most important thing though; customer service and a welcoming environment. Best airsoft shop I've ever been in is Pro Airsoft Supplies in London, staff couldn't do enough to help me and I didn't even say I was buying anything, they straight off the bat said "if it's on a wall rack feel free to have a play with it, if you want to shoot anything, let us know and we'll get a battery and some BBs". The customer service bit for them comes in when there's an issue, they honour their warranties (I expect mainly because they don't sell cheapo double eagle/SRC/etc guns and don't get many returns!) and do so without quibble or fuss, same for incorrect orders, they sort it same day. That reputation is well known because people talk about it when they get really good service, but not as quickly as when they get bad service!

Wolf armouries on the other hand... I went in, spoke to the guy and said I was visiting London and was in the market for a new AEG (pretty much guaranteed him a sale!), but getting guns out of boxes for me to have a look at seemed like too much hassle and when they did come out of the boxes he was pretty reticent about letting me actually hold them... no sale there and I won't be going back!

Easily contactable and friendly via email or phone. Rapid post for online stuff (and try to keep this as affordable as you can). Emails or texts of where your order is up to.

That's it. Every online store that manages those three things gets my repeat business.

And as far as stock goes, just stock what you know is gonna sell. The last thing you want is a bunch of 500 quid wet dream guns sat on your shelves doing bugger all except depreciating in value.

• Supporters

Chock makes a really good point there, it's all well and good some stores stocking stuff like Real Sword and TM etc... but quite often those guns sit on the shelf for months at a time because people spending that kind of money generally know they can get it cheaper online/abroad.

• Supporters

+1 on that. I'd say it's equally important for parts too. In these enlightened times of people being more than happy to buy online a range of items of varying price needs stocking. It's all very well having a glass display cabinet full of gucci gun jewelry but if someone just wants a clone part because that's what they can afford, you need to stock them too.

Make sure your supplier can get hardware to you at a sensible cost that won't screw the pooch on margins too. My local shop for instance buys a lot of stuff in at a relatively high cost. By the time they put on a margin cheap, imported clone parts cost almost what the high end branded stuff does!

Offer a decent loyalty points system. If someone is going to spend £500-600+ Give them enough points to get something half decent. Also do Airsoft starter kits i.e gun,battery,bbs,decent eye pro,gloves,pads and boots or you could do load-out packages.

• Supporters

!!!SWEEPING GENERALISATION ALERT!!!!

The single biggest problem I can see with starting an airsoft shop (and which seems to be borne out by most of the posts here) is that by and large the airsoft community is split into two camps. The ones that do it on a shoestring budget (the beginners, the scrimpers and the ones that just can't justify spending more than £200 on their entire kit) and the gucci milsim realism junkies that will happily spend a crapping fortune on a charging handle "because it's what THE TEAMS use". No single shop can ever hope to properly cater for both ends of the spectrum as the former will think that the big spenders are elitist wankers and the they in turn will consider the cheap kit worthy only of derision (which they will happily stand at the counter and tell you all about).

TL:DR you can't please all the people all the time.

- A new brand

- A decent, responsive (eg it looks good on a phone) website, which is highly searchable

- Up to date stock counts

- Request re-stock emails

- Fast shipping, reasonably priced (free shipping for over £X ?)

I would also second the thoughts above that you are going to need a hell of a lot of work and money to make this work, you up against a lot of established competition in a niche market. Good luck.

To be fair, if your business is good at what it does, then competition is a welcome spur to further improve your service, and anyone who isn't as good as you serves to highlight your strong points. Anyone who is decent at what they do should not be afraid of competition.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.