DIY

Cheeky vimto

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Yeah, don't get me wrong Nutster, I too applaud the effort. It just wouldn't work around here, unless I kept my vests on stands on the fire escape...

Added some elastic foot straps on my KLMK to keep it low and in my boots. Worked really well for OP Open shield last Sunday,When I get my Fecktarn kit sorted I'll probably do this on it too.

gQd22uq.jpg

Right now I'm working on getting some clips on my main pouch since the belt weave thing it has is stupid. Also going to do some DIY work on my boots with shoe goo to reinforce the sole in some places.

I can even keep my Ukrainian recon impression too since Fleck is in pretty wide use. I can see why,it's really really effective.

What would be the best place to buy? I'm considering taking a trip down to Dublin to Army Bargains or buying online Flecktarn.co.uk.

• Supporters

Fleabay, Alex. Fleabay is your friend.

I can even keep my Ukrainian recon impression too since Fleck is in pretty wide use. I can see why,it's really really effective.

What would be the best place to buy? I'm considering taking a trip down to Dublin to Army Bargains or buying online Flecktarn.co.uk.

I love my Flecktarn, it seems the right colours and shades for where I live, especially if you hide in/around a holly bush. I'm not sure where to buy as most of my stuff is from the war and peace show with retailers selling stuff cheap on the last day. However, I use Military1st sometimes who do free next day delivery or flecktarn.co.uk is a good bet.

I'm thinking that an alternative design for holding Vests would be to use plywood. If you use a human target as a template (blow up the picture and paste it on or paint one yourself). The benefit is that it looks less like the grave of the unknown airsofter and more like something you can use to create a shooting range when you get a chance :)

The main beneifit is that it will have a waist and therefore can hold webbing too.

human-target-shooting.png

• Supporters

Looks good, need to give mine a quick spray after looking at yours :P

• Supporters

Now That's What I Call Rewired.

Such a joy to work on my CM.048

So, this was my project the other night. Picked up this single shot Double Eagle shotgun to go with a Walking Dead inspired zombie apocalypse survivor loadout for zombie themed games and for CQB as a primary. I've already got a full on tactical shotty so I wanted something a bit more civillian looking or for when I finally get round to buying a DEA jacket.

The whole process took about 2 hours. I started off with Halfords camouflage matt black as base coat. Once that had dried I painted on a thick coat of reddish brown (I can find the exact name if anybody is bothered) and while the paint was wet took a brush with really stiff bristles that I found in a cupboard and basically scraped the paint from one side to the other so the black showed through and gave a grain effect. Once the brown had dried I did the same with burnt umber acrylic paint and scraped it off so the other colours showed through and then the same proces with black. I took a cloth to it in places and rubbed the paint off, scratched the stock and tried to get an element of texture around the parts that would get the most wear. I don't actually think it's weathered enough so I'm going to take a chisel and some sandpaper to it and the weekend. I'm tempted to darken up the top and bottom of the stock to simulate wear.

Let me know what you think, I'm pretty chuffed with it and it looks fairly convincing in the flesh. Appologies for crap iphone pics and for the wife's choice of tablecloth...........

(Snipped Pictures)

Excellent. Did you paint brown on with a brush?

Excellent. Did you paint brown on with a brush?

I did yeah. I plastered it on pretty thick with a wide, soft bristled brush and then scraped it off towards the back of the stock whilst the paint was still wet with a stiff brush to give the grain effect.

• Supporters

Posted this on the trap thread. Might be a good idea if it can get approval from sites.

Might be a good idea if it was 40mm wide, blunt, and set off a shotgun primer...

The dart style BFG is blunt once assembled, the guy puts a screw where the needle is in the video...

I understand about the 12g primer- although it might be hard to get enough velocity on it to detonate.

• Supporters

I have an idea forming for how to use a spring loaded tube inside a 2nd tube to fire the primer into a static pin, so that the flash and shock wave propagate backwards up through the tube, away from the target and loading involves pushing the rear part, with stabilising fins, into the forward blunt head, like a spring loaded bayonet fitting... but at the moment it's stubbornly refusing to coalesce into an actual design. Age.

But if any plagiarising bastard brings this to market before i draw the thing, remember you heard it here 1st!

• Supporters

Ha! Actually i've just sussed it while having a piss, as you do! It needs 3 tubes: 1 as a perforated barrel, 1 as a stabilising envelope and to attach the firing pin, and 1 to trigger a rotating sear. It'll have to wait until i get my new lappy screen before i draw it, but by next Monday we should have a plan for a safe projectile bang...

A classic marmite gun, with a twist. as many of you will now realise, it was I who bought the discounted XM8 (I believe an evil laugh would be kinda appropriate).

And absolutely hating guns which other people might have, feast your eyes on Tina:

photo27_zps896ab872.jpg

photo16_zps9879a174.jpg

sorry about picture quality, Iphone with a well used lense.

• Supporters

It's an iPhone with a noob tube on it.

I think I have solved the knee pads under battledress issue!

The issue: WW2 battledress trousers would just look wrong with knee pads on top. Knee pads under trousers are just plain uncomfortable as the elastic digs into the skin and you cannot adjust them easily if they start to slip down.

I thought I had a solution which was to get some large tubular bandage to wear underneath. Then I had a better idea which was to take the elastic off and sew the kneepads to the tubular bandage. This would mean the kneepads would be unusable for other loadouts. The other drawback of using existing kneepads is that they are bulky.

What I have just done is take a sheet of high density foam which used to be part of one of my Molle Vests (removed it as it mean't I couldn't feel hits) and cut it in half. This gives 2 pieces about 3" by 5". I then cut a V out of each long side about halfway down going about 1" (1/3 of the way) towards the center. Stuck the V cuts together with duct tape so the foam is now Knee shaped. Spread fabric glue over each knee pad and with in on my knee, rolled tubular bandage over the top and leave to dry. Result: cheap low profile knee pads.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.