DIY

Cheeky vimto

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Cropzy here again.

Here is how I made my gun case.

I purchased one of these of off Fleabay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271152550770?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Now they are old and have been stored outside since the 90's so they have a little rust on them.

The case itself is quite heavy being an army surplus ammo crate. They are air tight and water tight and the locks are very tough and hard to lock.

Mine came with the original inserts for the munitions it once held, which are certainly bigger than 50 cal.

8Ahfb.jpg

I took the lid and give it a scrub down with a wire brush to get rid of all of the loose rust and then did the same to the case itself.

I then took the lid and painted it with some green Hammerite we had laying around, this is so that the lid is protected from rust and rain etc for the future.

8Ahs4.jpgAfter it had dried.

I then started looking at foam to put in it, I figured most gun cases have egg box style foam in so I bought a sheet of it measuring 2m L x 2m W x 3mm H and cut it to size in 3 pieces. 1 for the bottom and lengthways sides. Then the other 2 for the other sides.

I then purchased some spray glue (carpet adhesive) and sprayed the inside and fitted the foam and then let it dry.

The final product turned out quite well, its not as good as a professional but it will do!

8AhWR.jpg8AhYC.jpg8Ai0X.jpg8Ai25.jpg

Nice work-But the bright green sort of looks ugly in comaparison to the rest of the thing. Maybe some Krylon OD to darken it? Otherwise looks really cool and well made.

It was literally what I had lying around in the garage.

I do plan on getting some krylon and painting the whole thing then putting some military stencils on.

Thanks for the nice feedback!

I haven't really done anything on this as a project per-se and these are the very initial stages (nothing here is dimensioned correctly, just traced pretty poorly from images - the original designers would probably pull their hair out to see how butchered their designs have become here) but since I was thinking about AKs and the lack of RIS rails on them generally, I came up with a little idea.

Seeing as I have seen many examples of people carving their own AK furniture and integrating things such as foregrips into the design, I thought to myself "maybe it would be interesting to see an AK handguard design with a magpul AFG built into the design. Not as an attachment, but actually integrated, the handguard and AFG from one piece of wood.

So, being trained in AutoCAD, I hopped on the computer and churned out these few prototype ideas in a few hours. If I can get proper dimensions of things somewhere, maybe i'll take a stab at carving the furniture myself. I'm just curious to see what others think of this idea, as utterly mental as it might be.

(I realise this is a little out of the ordinary for the DIY section as it usually involves something you have actually done, but I didn't want to start a whole new topic for something that might ultimately just be long forgotten about in weeks to come. ;))

Edit; Bottom one should read "AK74 W/O DETAILS". D'oh!

post-9295-0-88798400-1399428717_thumb.jpg

• Supporters

I dunno. I wouldn't want funky wooden handguards on any of my AK's. If I want a foregrip I put a polymer or aluminium RIS on there, like this one...

look_left_raise_AK.jpg

...whom I call Sabine.

• Supporters

Having said that, if you want a wooden AFV, it's your gun and if you have access to a programable mill to make it exactly how you want, it'll be cheaper than buying a Romanian style LCT replacement handguard.

i think it could work. in fact its the sort of thing i think about, currently thinking of soing some form of carpentry course that could help with such skills...

so today rather than just thinking about it i started on the wooden grip for my shotgun as the long plastic one is doing my head in. after a lot of drilling filing etc it finally kinda fits(really should have picked a bigger bit of wood in the first place...) but it now fits smugly. looks crap like but it hasnt been shaped yet so hopefully before i go to my evening extra gig ill shape it a bit and maby get it finished, if not i should on friday...... tis already an improvement though...

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one, man. Sounds like a good one. Any pics of the progress?

Like you, I think it would be good for just learning a new skill. Something to do that will be a fun little project as well as picking up some useful life experience that could be used elsewhere when the time comes. Unfortunately, I don't have a mill of any kind - I would have to do it by hand alone, but i'm optimistic that it could be done. It'd be something nice to whittle away the summer evenings with, anyway (excuse the pun ;)).

On my project, now I have a load of free time after Uni and an AK from which to take proper dimensions, i'm going to get on 3D modelling this thing.

However, I have another project that i'm curious about.

I'm looking to also make an authentic(ish) Russian Army ammo box/crate to store all my airsoft-related gubbins in. Having a poke around google, there is the standard crate-type container, which should be pretty easy to build with timber and the metal "spam can" container that may be a little more difficult. Here they are stacked on top of each other;

545ammo3.jpg

Now, my question to you guys is this; the closest thing I can think of off the top of my head that looks closest to the can design is a sardine tin (aside from the obvious spam tin, but spam tins seem to be too tall for the purpose) However, this is obviously way too small. Can anyone think of something similar to a sardine can, but sized-up, but would also not be too expensive?

If I do decide to go sardine tin, how many BBs do you think your average tin could hold?

• Supporters

I would say not many, the tins look like something too fiddly to replicate. How about using old cigarette tins, or the new ones that are used as survival kit containers. Although they are small. Alternatively how about either look down your local shops biscuit isle for something the right size and shape, or a metal lunch box.

for some reason I can't paste links or images any more since the upgrade but.... google

Sigg aluminium box (breakingfree.co.uk have them for £17.50) the anodising might be a pain as they are bright colours.

Tresspass boxed large aluminium lunch box £10 ish and again brightly coloured but a good size and shape.

Old school metal lunchboxes, they can be found without paint so you wouldn't have to feel too bad about painting an antique.

• 3 weeks later...

at present i'm making a detonator box for a game scenario and also some surface to air missile props also for use in a game scenario!

thinking of making actual panels on the rockets with some circuits in with maybe a removable board (kind of like spec ops mission of recovering the flight guidance chips)

• 4 weeks later...

at present i'm making a detonator box for a game scenario and also some surface to air missile props also for use in a game scenario!

thinking of making actual panels on the rockets with some circuits in with maybe a removable board (kind of like spec ops mission of recovering the flight guidance chips)

here it is guys and girls...

so here is my finished (all bit doing some stencil work and some warning tape) Detonator box for numerous different scenario's of game play.
it has a 120db sounder which can only be activated after the warning light switch has been turned on.
anything else anyone can think of that i should add? i did think about adding a locking box to go over the switches for a game type to find the bomb key but i though that might be a bit much...
post-7793-0-44553600-1404380808_thumb.jpg

i did think about adding a locking box to go over the switches for a game type to find the bomb key but i though that might be a bit much...

It'd be pretty epic if you went into that level of detail- if you did a game without the locking boxes locked and it was pretty easy for the team detonating, you would have the option of making it more difficult for the team detonating by locking them and hiding the keys

Guest PT247

Something I've been working on the last couple of days....

10511313_10152154421216820_4752368032129

10377349_10152154421066820_8500169945521

10420079_10152154420956820_7111312170724

10462847_10152154420911820_7270054968101

The hose still needs adjusting as it doesn't feed reliably yet but it is getting there. :-)

*snip*

Maybe a lid that closes with a cheapo poundshop padlock? Then all the guys to rock up with bolt cutters strapped to their back have a use for them lol. Game play could work out something like, the key is on a HVT of the other team, however if it comes to say within 5 minutes of detonating or some other rule, you can use the bolt cutters if found/available etc BUT doing so results in a forefeit of 2 players who join the enemy team for the next round?

• 3 weeks later...

here it is guys and girls...

so here is my finished (all bit doing some stencil work and some warning tape) Detonator box for numerous different scenario's of game play.
it has a 120db sounder which can only be activated after the warning light switch has been turned on.
anything else anyone can think of that i should add? i did think about adding a locking box to go over the switches for a game type to find the bomb key but i though that might be a bit much...

Use a combination lock that you can change the combination on. That opens options such as each member of the enemy team has a card with a combination on, you have to keep killing them until you get the right one...

Guest PT247

just been fiddling with the regulator, with the current hop setting (which I believe is fully wound off so still will need more set up time) the G5 is now shooting at 345fps on 0.2BBs :-)

Use a combination lock that you can change the combination on. That opens options such as each member of the enemy team has a card with a combination on, you have to keep killing them until you get the right one...

im looking into programming a new toy i found with the help of a mate that has built stuff for west end productions and such shit like that haha hopefully it wont turn into some sort of drag queen bomb

I have Felt and funky foam (foam sheet). I plan to make the scabbard for my P1907 Bayonet. I figure a felt tube will allow a tight fit to hold the bayonet in place and then foam over the top to form the outer shape.

Guest PT247

set the hop up on the G5 now and it is running at 312fps on 0.25BBs which equates to 350fps on 0.2BBs. It uses around 10psi more HPA pressure than the M700 did at 500fps on 0.2BBs which I would have found odd if it ran at 350fps on green gas but makes sense as the G5 was around 325fps on green gas. Am possibly going to need to do some work on the hop now though as I think I could make it more accurate than it is. Was hitting a target at 50m easily though. Will do some fine tuning on the next night game where I can run tracers down the range to get the hop adjusted perfectly.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.