DIY

Cheeky vimto

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I'll wait for the after action report before I say 'good job', Russ. Duct/Gaffer Tape on knee pads works well, definitely, but I have my doubts about the glue/bandage interface and also about how well the bandage will stay in place with the pad attached. I have worn tubular bandage under kecks to prevent the straps for crap knee pads, which bunch up in the crook of the knee when they slip, from giving me the dreaded chafe - it isn't as immobile as you'd want TBH and that's without any added weight.

I think the best solution may be to add pockets to the inside of the kecks and fit sleeping mat foam faced with a layer of plastic washing up bowl inside. Although the bagginess of the kecks will work against this as a plan. Maybe some plastic with a preformed curve, so that even if the pad isn't central when you kneel, the shape will make your knee slide into the pad. Couple of layers of 2L pop bottle may do it

The cutout V's allowed me to tape the foam together to form about a 120 degree angle with a curve laterally. I have left 6 inches of tubular bandage above and below the foam. I think from walking around my flat that they will work better than just kneepads.

• Supporters

I think pics are in order, Russ.

Before skirmish & after.

Asked about that mesh stuff people use for a snakeskin camo stencil at a couple of art / craft shops today. I think I explained it alright but don't have a clue what it's called. Neither of them had anyway anyway.

• Supporters

Asked about that mesh stuff people use for a snakeskin camo stencil at a couple of art / craft shops today. I think I explained it alright but don't have a clue what it's called. Neither of them had anyway anyway.

Fishnet tights. Ask your mum. ;)

• Supporters

Fishnet tights. Ask your mum. ;)

She left them on my bedroom floor.

Well, I say 'floor'... they were actually caught on the lampshade, but they ended up on the floor eventually!

• 4 weeks later...

> Noticed M700 wasn't hopping properly

> Opened her up

> Holy shit the hop is annoying to dismantle

> Notice nub is disfigured due to pressure

> Take nub

> Place on table

> Take hairdryer

> Soften nub on lowest setting

> Tease it back to original shape

> Leave to cool

> Reassemble hop unit

> Annoyingly difficult, took several attempts

> Get weapon back together after a slight clean and re-oil

> Testing tomorrow

> Noticed M700 wasn't hopping properly

> Opened her up

> Holy sh*t the hop is annoying to dismantle

> Notice nub is disfigured due to pressure

> Take nub

> Place on table

> Take hairdryer

> Soften nub on lowest setting

> Tease it back to original shape

> Leave to cool

> Reassemble hop unit

> Annoyingly difficult, took several attempts

> Get weapon back together after a slight clean and re-oil

> Testing tomorrow

I have a feeling it will deform faster each time you do this but as a temporary fix it should be okay.

• Supporters

Being the renowned fortune teller I am, you can trust me when I foresee a new nub in your future...

• Supporters

Yeah, I'm going to see if I can get a 3D printed version made up for when it does. I have access to one at college so it's all good.

make a whole sheet of them, man!

• Supporters

^^There's always something, eh!?! It looks like a really good design, if not for the nub being made out of cheese.

It's design is pretty nice, the amount of hop is controlled by a knurled disc with a stepped, threaded shaft. The underside has been cut so it fits with a ratchet in the scope mount, making it easy to measure the amount of hop you give the weapon. As you tighten the disc the nub is pushed down.

It'd be nicer if finding parts for the M700 wasn't so annoying. The best tightbore barrels for it are supposed to be the 6.01 640mm EDGi barrels, however the only place I can find them (Evike) doesn't stock them any more; and rumour has it they've moved to a chinese factory with terrible QC. I'm gonna have to make do with MadBull 6.03mm 650mm or a LayLax 6.02 590mm tightbore.

Thankfully FireSupport stock the rest of the parts I need.

(A short list if PT247 needs it for his takedown version M700)

• LayLax 6.02mm 590mm TBB w/rubber
  • G&G gas route connector spring
  • G&G Hop rubber and seal set for M700 (gonna test the difference between G&G and LayLax rubbers, plus it's all 1 product)
  • King Arms steel strike plate w/striker spring

All totals at £99.50 incl. delivery.

Ouch :D

Guest PT247

I have a prommy 6.03 650mm tbb and the G&G rubber set on its way along with some other bits. Gonna have a play around with AEG buckings, if I can't get that to work will just get the barrel modified for the current hop set up.

• Supporters

or a PDi 6.02 590mm tightbore.

??? this is a typo, right?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Does anyone remember me saying I was going to get an M200 spring to see how far my SVD would shoot? Well I fitted it this morning. 3 problems: 1) I can't cock it normally, I have to use a wad of clothing placed on the handle and press it down with the butt against the floor; 2) my chrono will not give me a reading, even firing 0.3's; 3) the tree I use as a dark background to test absolute range is about 100-5m away and the shots sail over it still on a flat-ish trajectory...

I'll take it with me to Skirmish next time I'm there because it's a quick job to change springs. I'm getting 388-395FPS on 0.3's with the hop set from my new airsoftpro.cz M130 spring and V2 enhanced piston with PDI W-hold rubber and 6.01x595mm barrel, which are good numbers considering the limit on 0.3's is 408.2FPS - I was planning on 400, to give me a bit of room for chrono variance (which is tight I know, but there are options), so my FPS-foo isn't working too badly. To get that I've dispensed with the stock spring guide collar and used the plastic one which comes with the V2 piston - it's only about 3mm longer but it's good for 5-6FPS more.

I haven't re-zeroed my scope yet so I can't say how good the new airsoftpro.cz steel barrel base is, but just aiming over the irons I can tell the gun jumps less when fired. I think it might be worth looking into putting some additional weight inside the handguards and I've been meaning to extend the stock by a couple of inches, to fit my arms better, so I'm thinking some metalwork on that, rather than just a shaped block of wood, may be the way to go.

Oh yeah, and I'm getting about 90m flat-ish trajectory with this new set up, which is easily 10m better than I was getting from my Madbull 6.01x590mm barrel with the W-hold rubber.

Edited by Ian_Gere
range info

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.