How to attract new players to Airsoft?

33 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

TBH, this is the best idea IMO, a few years ago (ok, decades) as a teen in the ATC, we had an evening running around the local links with a capture the base gameplay, was great fun & OMG, having a usable firearm would have been awesome.

Show it as it is... honesty is the best policy.

A fellow ex air cadet. 👍

One of the reasons I don't have an L85 in my collection. I know how pants the cadet version was...🤣

Just now, Pseudotectonic said:

Are there any celebs who play airsoft? Partly because the airsoft media space is rather vacuum in my opinion

Yeah... KickingMustang. 😉

Justin Bieber, David Beckham, Peter Gunn.

Not sure about the last one but the first two do.

Have a look in Google  at celebrities who play Airsoft 

There is a picture of the king holding up a paintball gun... at an army recruitment event? I was just gonna say maybe the army can run their own flavour of milsim events as some sort of recruitment drive or PR, but I'm not sure what political implications there might be and whether it could actually harm the hobby, "Rory you're not allowed to play airsoft because you're gonna get drafted by the army and sent somewhere and die!!!"

Anyways I think we need a celeb or some sort of next gen airsoft content creator who can generate talks and clicks and actually help push the airsoft culture to be more appealing and accessible, we need more mascot(s) who can represent

4 hours ago, DanBow said:

Fuck the lefties! If we pander to them, they win! Advertise how much fun running around the woods shooting your mates is. Advertise the buzz you get from a well placed shot that takes out an enemy player. Advertise all of the things that they, they lefties, hate.

And watch as airsoft gets banned and the "lefties" win.

This is the great dilemma that airsoft faces; basing advertising on the elements that make it great fun is likely to bring those elements into the wider public consciousness, which will almost certainly increase the probability of it being banned.

I am centre-left politically; if the political spectrum was my feet, I would be roughly where my left hallux is or, on some topics, where my left second toe is.  However, in the world of airsoft, I am clearly far to the left of most players that I meet.  However, I do know a few "leftie" players, so we are not all the enemy that you imagine us to be or have been persuaded to believe we are.

Edited by Colin Allen

People like trotting donkey are the reason people come to Airsoft sadly, The calibre of people could be questioned I think. 

Lefties, righties or middlies it’s much of a muchness for me. Sensible people can see that law abiding Airsoft players arent going to turn into criminals or at least the vast majority aren’t. 

The problem is the vocal fringe that seem to control the headlines and scaremonger because clearly they aren’t out shooting pews at each other and having fun. 

I don't think the player base needs to expand but rather attitudes toward it be more open-minded and accepting that it's just another hobby/pastime/recreation that its players are very passionate and enthusiastic about and one that helps their wellbeing in keeping them active.

Going to the gym is good for people's wellbeing also but when you hear about steroid and other PED use or the steroid user (plus gym "influencers") behaving in disagreeable way, exercising at the gym isn't villified and denounced because of one or a few bad apples the way airsoft in the UK would be, nor would exercising at the gym fall under the same scrutiny.

I couldn't agree more about the concern that becoming too big will attract mouth breathers. Look at F1. A few years back, it was popular but in only so many people's conversations. Thanks to Drive to Survive and F1's commercial rights holders pushing it to be more mainstream, it's much bigger with a new breed of fans who have taken the lustre off the sport because of their tribal behaviour bringing the handbags out at dawn.

I'd rather not have a celebrity or "influencer" push airsoft because it would be another flavour of the month with new players dicking about, harming the reputation of regulars who take safe, honest and responsible play seriously.

6 hours ago, Shamal said:

Justin Bieber, David Beckham

I rest my case. I don't consider Bieber as much of a prick now but he's not exactly a shining endorsement for airsoft. Beckham is an entitled self-loving brat who got salty about being ineligible for a knighthood because of his tax dodging then he made me even less inclined to consider visiting Qatar when he promoted it for the last World Cup.

7 hours ago, Galvatron said:

Beckham is an entitled self-loving brat who got salty about being ineligible for a knighthood because of his tax dodging then he made me even less inclined to consider visiting Qatar when he promoted it for the last World Cup.

That’s true,

But the salty twat also got (reportedly) paid £125,000,000 for the hassles of promoting Qatar.

I think I could live with myself and the worry that you didn’t want to go there if I was in his shoes 😆

Sorry, my marketing head is vibrating (ooerr)

Is there a way to access the UKARA database to find out things like increase/decrease in membership, active members, geographic location, age, etc?

This could be good data on the current membership and possibly show areas for growth. 

It won't show us how to target them but if we know there's an increase in member under 20 years old (for example) we can promote to those people in there mediums.   

Edited by Reef

55 minutes ago, Reef said:

Sorry, my marketing head is vibrating (ooerr)

Is there a way to access the UKARA database to find out things like increase/decrease in membership, active members, geographic location, age, etc?

This could be good data on the current membership and possibly show areas for growth. 

It won't show us how to target them but if we know there's an increase in member under 20 years old (for example) we can promote to those people in there mediums.   

Would a Freedom of Information request work?

Edit: apparently not

point 11 - Here

Data is not available, or accessible, to any third party organisation, individual, or for any other purpose than directly related to airsoft RiF purchase.

Edited by DanBow
Added info

Would UKARA even count as an appropriate organisation as far as sporting recognition would go? It isn't a representation body, and nobody is a dues-paying member. It's a registration system for a legal defence.

For sports recognition you'd want something like UKAPU or the UK Airsoft Federation. I've no idea which, if either, are large enough to make a start on the process.

12 minutes ago, Poach said:

Would UKARA even count as an appropriate organisation as far as sporting recognition would go? It isn't a representation body, and nobody is a dues-paying member. It's a registration system for a legal defence.

For sports recognition you'd want something like UKAPU or the UK Airsoft Federation. I've no idea which, if either, are large enough to make a start on the process.

My God man, dont get them started on the UKAF/UKAPU debate!!!!! 

8 hours ago, DanBow said:

My God man, dont get them started on the UKAF/UKAPU debate!!!!! 

I was not aware this was a topic of debate at all. My apologies. 🤣

22 hours ago, Galvatron said:

Going to the gym is good for people's wellbeing

There’s got to be something said about (legally) shooting someone (while playing Airsoft) as being good for your wellbeing.

Lost count of the times I wished I had my pistol in my desk!! 😂

Wish I had enough space somewhere for a range, would be great to have somewhere local to go and plink for a bit. Maybe we need to tack them on to the side of driving ranges?

Reading through the responses on here I get the impression most would like people to naturally come to Airsoft as a sport? 

I was thinking about the whole YouTuber/celebrity thing last and came to the conclusion that the large Airsoft channels only get views with click baiting cheat videos(trotting pony etc). Which in turn I think creates a really negative view of airsoft. Obviously not all and there are some really good channels out there. 

Perhaps getting some real steel YouTubers might be an idea like Brandon Herrera but I think as players we are the best gatekeepers and also the best people to show off how great Airsoft is. 

Just a couple of thoughts really and I may well be wrong. 

Generally we want to attract new people and retain them, maybe improve their beginner experience, and help them to get over the learning curve

Shops can set up shooting ranges or micro CQB corners / cubicle for testing and attract curious people to try playing with RIFs, this can be a hook to lure people in and give them a first taste of what it is like playing

Fields can make it more beginner friendly by having actually good rental gears that actually give them an advantage rather than disadvantage, and generally level the playing field and make sure teams are balanced

Youtubers can make it more beginner friendly by having better intros and explanations of the gameplay

Memento Mori, Memento the newbie

36 minutes ago, GenuineGerman said:

Reading through the responses on here I get the impression most would like people to naturally come to Airsoft as a sport? 

I was thinking about the whole YouTuber/celebrity thing last and came to the conclusion that the large Airsoft channels only get views with click baiting cheat videos(trotting pony etc). Which in turn I think creates a really negative view of airsoft. Obviously not all and there are some really good channels out there. 

Perhaps getting some real steel YouTubers might be an idea like Brandon Herrera but I think as players we are the best gatekeepers and also the best people to show off how great Airsoft is. 

Just a couple of thoughts really and I may well be wrong. 

Both Garand Thumb & Matt Carriker (Demolition Ranch) have videos on their channels of them playing Airsoft , Garand in particular, really rates it as fun but also good training (he enjoys the larp 👌)

11 hours ago, Madhouse said:

There’s got to be something said about (legally) shooting someone (while playing Airsoft) as being good for your wellbeing.

Lost count of the times I wished I had my pistol in my desk!! 😂

Wish I had enough space somewhere for a range, would be great to have somewhere local to go and plink for a bit. Maybe we need to tack them on to the side of driving ranges?

One of the most cathartic experiences was seeing my son hiding in a tent, and me getting him Centre mass on full auto from about 30 metres.

He didn't know it was me and all I could hear was "aaawwwweee fuck".   Felt my blood pressure drop at least ten points.

14 hours ago, Madhouse said:

Definitely. I've certainly noticed it helps my mental health to get a game in regularly

3 hours ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Both Garand Thumb & Matt Carriker (Demolition Ranch) have videos on their channels of them playing Airsoft , Garand in particular, really rates it as fun but also good training (he enjoys the larp 👌)

I know Garand Thumb did a video on using airsoft for training but I didn't know Demolition Ranch had done one too. Unfortunately from what I've seen many of the real steel youtubers seem to have a massive chip on their shoulders when it comes to airsoft, which really makes no sense to me as I'd bet a significant amount of their viewers play

3 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

Definitely. I've certainly noticed it helps my mental health to get a game in regularly

I know Garand Thumb did a video on using airsoft for training but I didn't know Demolition Ranch had done one too. Unfortunately from what I've seen many of the real steel youtubers seem to have a massive chip on their shoulders when it comes to airsoft, which really makes no sense to me as I'd bet a significant amount of their viewers play

Yeah, Demo Ranch’s younger brother has an Airsoft channel, tbf , I’ve never really remembered who he is 😂

• Supporters
22 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

Demo Ranch actually made an aursoft version of one of their own branded ARs. It was made by aps so it was dogshit but still.

Bluejean Operator does a lot of airsoft (he's also been cadre for MSW), Savage Actual have done quite a bit of airsoft (although they're buddies with licking wankstain so there's that). Travis Haley is quite well known for being into airsoft with his son.