Which retailers in the UK accept Just-Cos Cosplayer Insurance?

I am asking which retailers accept the Just-Cos Cosplayer Insurance. You issue is really with the retailer that accepts this as they have the control over the sale. Hunter511 not sure what made you think I gave a fuck, as I have been desperately saying five times now, I don't care about your thoughts or concerns. 

17 minutes ago, superwok said:

Again off topic, don't care about your thoughts, please lets keep on topic   I have been playing this hobby for 10 years plus so I am not new to the UKARA, I just want to new RIF that isn't 2 toned. 

GenuineGerman please feel free to argue my question but in your head, I really do not care what your thoughts are. 

all the best 

On topic there is likely to only be one company that would accept JustCos as a defence.

It also just so happens to be a company that references its partnership with a Comicon whose cosplay rules explicitly ban RIFs.  They will also charge you £20 for the privilege of making a false declaration 

Look up a retailer, attempt to buy a RIF and see what defences are asked for.  If you really do want to use whichever non UKARA defence you can manage then a very minor amount of effort would find you someone who is willing to sell a RIF without UKARA but with you claiming that your intent is to play airsoft on insured sites - which is what the law actually requires 

Respectfully, you're asking for a way around the UKARA policy - Which quite frankly is the only thing stopping every tw*t from waltzing into an airsoft retailer, buying a "well sick pistol bruv" and using said pistol for ill intents. Next thing you know, headlines read "AIRSOFT IS BAD, VERY BAD!" and the public demand it be banned forever because it's very scary and people have guns and do crime.

My example is exaggerated, obviously, but given how close airsoft has came numerous times to being shut down fully in the UK you have to realize why people are giving you this answer.

But, to answer your initial question to keep it "on topic" I doubt there are more than 5 retailers willing to risk their livelihood for the JustCos policy and I would be sceptical of any retailers that do accept it.

JinxDuh your thoughts and concerns about what may or may not happen keep to yourself, if you have a list of the 5 retailers  that would be helpful to the topic otherwise everything else you add to this, is not relevant. 

5 minutes ago, superwok said:

I am asking which retailers accept the Just-Cos Cosplayer Insurance. You issue is really with the retailer that accepts this as they have the control over the saleHunter511 not sure what made you think I gave a fuck, as I have been desperately saying five times now, I don't care about your thoughts or concerns. 

Note that every airsoft retailer has control over the sale. 
They are liable for a substantial fine (if the justice system acted) if they sell a RIF outside of the VCRA terms.

Cosplay isn’t a VCRA defence (professional cosplay can potentially fall into the theatrical defence) 

JustCos puts the onus on the buyer to make a fraudulent statement to the retailer (unless the buyer is a genuine cosplayer acting on bad advice from the retailer)

They are trying to put the blame on you, but in doing so it becomes a potential conspiracy to defraud.

5 hours ago, superwok said:

Is there an updated list of retailers that recognise this insurance?

I have been playing airsoft sporadically for years but haven't got time to play that frequently enough to fulfill the requirements for a UKARA membership. 

Don't know about any list of retailers but a quick google produced this... https://www.just-cos.co.uk/ This is an airsoft forum & we occasionally have non airsoft questions like this that often turn sour in the replies. Not sure if you would be required to buy insurance for your hobby but it's certainly worth while spending a little time at an airsoft site to attain an UKARA registration (not a permit or a license) which will at least provide you with a 'defence' for having an imitation firearm, in my short time as an airsofter it's become apparent that some people (airsofter, cosplayers, reenactors) have fallen foul of UK law and provided the media with a very easy story (true or ficticious) which casts a very big shadow over our hobby.

What ever you decide to do please be aware of cosplay rules regarding firearms at events, enjoy yourself & be safe.

I'll repeat myself... it's certainly worth while spending a little time at an airsoft site to attain an UKARA registration, you'll probably find out you enjoy the experience, most of us dress up as a character when playing, some as milsim & some as ballerina's with pew pew's. You could appear at almost any site you'll have a mix of giggles & interest in equal measure in your direction but we all enjoy our day & you might become the first T-Rex badass at the site you chose to attend.

JinxDuh, hats off to the marathon of efforts you've embarked upon for this cause.

In a twist of fate, my inbox turned treasure chest with a couple of direct messages, leading me to unearth a few hidden retailer gems. Thus, the coveted rifle is on its way, sidestepping the need for any two-tone disguise. A hearty salute to you and the fellow enthusiasts whose passion, effort, and, let's face it, endearing nerdiness keep the wheels of this hobby spinning. You nerds are the unsung heroes of this saga. 

GenuineGerman we have come full circle, I am happy you see things from my view now, i knew you would jump on board 

Colin Allen, go to bed, you will feel better in the morning. 

and on that note, I will no longer be adding to this thread as I have what i need, but I will allow you all to continue to bitch and moan. 

10 minutes ago, superwok said:

and on that note, I will no longer be adding to this thread as I have what i need, but I will allow you all to continue to bitch and moan.

Just went for a nosey on your profile (nothing malicious), You already have at least 1 RIF & sidearm, you've made enough posts/comments to know how this thread would go. I'm going to assume you already have an UKARA or had one, just follow the cosplay rules at the event you want to attend.

5 hours ago, superwok said:

Is there an updated list of retailers that recognise this insurance?

I have been playing airsoft sporadically for years but haven't got time to play that frequently enough to fulfill the requirements for a UKARA membership. 

Don't know about any list of retailers but a quick google produced this... https://www.just-cos.co.uk/ This is an airsoft forum & we occasionally have non airsoft questions like this that often turn sour in the replies. Not sure if you would be required to buy insurance for your hobby but it's certainly worth while spending a little time at an airsoft site to attain an UKARA registration (not a permit or a license) which will at least provide you with a 'defence' for having an imitation firearm, in my short time as an airsofter it's become apparent that some people (airsofter, cosplayers, reenactors) have fallen foul of UK law and provided the media with a very easy story (true or ficticious) which casts a very big shadow over our hobby.

What ever you decide to do please be aware of cosplay rules regarding firearms at events, enjoy yourself & be safe.

I'll repeat myself... it's certainly worth while spending a little time at an airsoft site to attain an UKARA registration, you'll probably find out you enjoy the experience, most of us dress up as a character when playing, some as milsim & some as ballerina's with pew pew's. You could appear at almost any site you'll have a mix of giggles & interest in equal measure in your direction but we all enjoy our day & you might become the first T-Rex badass at the site you chose to attend.

• Supporters
On 03/03/2024 at 20:42, JinxDuh said:

UKARA policy - Which quite frankly is the only thing stopping every tw*t from waltzing into an airsoft retailer, buying a "well sick pistol bruv" and using said pistol for ill intents

Absolutely anyone over 18 can buy an IF (and there'll be plenty of shops which don't enforce that rule) and anyone can buy black spray paint from the Halfords round the corner, or maybe even the same shop that sold them the IF.  2 minutes later.. well sick pistol bruv.

• Supporters
12 hours ago, hunter511 said:

I seem to recall that fairly shortly post VCRA one of the retailers hot caught out by their "frequently bought together" section containing 2tone gnus and black Krylon.

Cool story, but I don't see an offence there.  It's a long stretch to show intent beyond a reasonable doubt, and it's not like rapscallions can't figure out that they can apply some best Poundland spray paint to their day-glos, for fair purposes or foul.

I very much doubt there's any policing of RIFs now, at least within the UK's borders. There are retailers openly flaunting the VCRA with joke non-defences like JustCos, or techs posting videos documenting that they're building Section 5 firearms. Nobody is bothered... until some cause célèbre will inevitably result in the State getting very bothered.

@superwok I know you got it sorted via the just-cos route, however did you not try to ask any retailers if any other forms of defence were acceptable?  You've got 110 posts on this forum, have been a member for 5 years, visit regular and have 100% feedback, that should be enough to confirm.

As @Dan Robinson also states, social media posts / photos also another good.

The IT ex-colleague of mine who's still looking at a defense system (has a fair bit of it built) was thinking about putting in supporting material for defence, how it will work in the system I don't know but seems a legit idea.

4 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

@superwok I know you got it sorted via the just-cos route, however did you not try to ask any retailers if any other forms of defence were acceptable?  You've got 110 posts on this forum, have been a member for 5 years, visit regular and have 100% feedback, that should be enough to confirm.

As @Dan Robinson also states, social media posts / photos also another good.

The IT ex-colleague of mine who's still looking at a defense system (has a fair bit of it built) was thinking about putting in supporting material for defence, how it will work in the system I don't know but seems a legit idea.

I did/do think the current situation isn't great for those I described above,  or those who like to go do several different sites .... so no one site would meet the requirements.   A system that stores a profile/ portfolio of verifiable activity,  such as pictures direct from registered sites, payment receipts,  registered address etc.  Would be helpful. 

I guess the issues come down to hassle-risk-reward for the operator. 

52 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

I did/do think the current situation isn't great for those I described above,  or those who like to go do several different sites .... so no one site would meet the requirements.   A system that stores a profile/ portfolio of verifiable activity,  such as pictures direct from registered sites, payment receipts,  registered address etc.  Would be helpful. 

GDPR requirements are going to shit all over any ability to run this without significant money involved - UKARA are already pushing their luck at the best of times.

1 hour ago, GiantKiwi said:

GDPR requirements are going to shit all over any ability to run this without significant money involved - UKARA are already pushing their luck at the best of times.

Why?

Define significant money?  A secure system, hosting and handling processes are required.  That costs money.  But why ‘significant’?

GDPR does not prevent the sharing of personal information - in fact, as any system designed to form a VCRA defence would require some form of sharing to function then it would be a GDPR breech to not share information collected for the purposes of sharing the validation of a defence.

It does require the security of information collected and to only share the appropriate information in the appropriate manner

eg Collect suitable information to justify a defence, receive a query to validate a defence, share appropriate information back and forth with appropriate parties

Eg request for defence number 54321, Joe Bloggs, 1 the Avenue, New Town

Result confirmed

2 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

It really isn't a problem for those of us who play at several different sites.  The requirement of playing three times in more than 56 days at a single site is not hard to achieve.  I play across a core of four sites with more occasional visits to other sites, with my UKARA being anchored at one of the core sites.  When it needs renewing I do it through them as they have a record of my attendance over the previous 12 months; provided that their system shows three or more visits, all is good.

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

my UKARA being anchored at one of the core sites

UKARA records site membership, there's no reason to just have a single one. I've had three on the go at once.

2 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

UKARA records site membership, there's no reason to just have a single one. I've had three on the go at once.

Very true!  I have contemplated doing that.

15 hours ago, GiantKiwi said:

@GiantKiwi why do you think that exactly?  how much are you thinking and what area?  I'd say yearly pen test / audits would be a nice bonus but "significant" I'm not so sure