High caps or mid caps

Matt.2504

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Poll - Mid Caps or High Caps  

16 members have voted

1. 1. TM G3 - high caps or Mid caps - 5 required. Is the price difference worth it?

• TM Mid cap @£22 ( 5x22 = £110)
    • JG high cap @£9 (5x9 = £45)

TM G3.

looking at buying 5 magazines.

do I go for high caps or mid caps?

mid caps (TM) @ £22 = 110

high caps (JG) @ £9 = £45

what should I do?

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Matt.2504 said:

TM G3.

what should I do?

Depends if you want to rattle or not. If you buy 5 hi caps it's worth remembering that you won't need as many to hold the same amount of ammo!

You could also look at King Arms mid caps https://airsoft.tiger111hk.com/Airsoft-Magazine-Std/Mid-AEG-Magazine/c43_261/p2687/King-Arms-G3-Series-130-rounds-Magazines-Box-Set-(5pcs)/product_info.html?osCsid=qtvcedihlghvj7du2ak30iaj97

I’m not a big fan of the rattling or winding but it’s over double the price to get mid caps.

with regards to the King arms ones - thanks for the suggestion but they aren’t compatible with the TM G3 - only ones I’ve seen to be compatible are TM, JG and CA. 

I'm all about the hi-caps tbh, even though that's not 'cool'.

If you don't do milsims and you don't mind sounding like a rogue pair of maracas I'd go hi-cap.

• Supporters
57 minutes ago, Matt.2504 said:

TM G3.

what should I do?

OR just get two JG hi-caps for now start saving and then get the mids at a later date ? 

• Supporters

I've got hi's & mids for most of my guns, but unless an event is mag specific, I'll always go with 2 or 3 hi-caps rather than half a dozen mids, just makes life easier 😉

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Matt.2504 said:

I’m not a big fan of the rattling or winding but it’s over double the price to get mid caps.

with regards to the King arms ones - thanks for the suggestion but they aren’t compatible with the TM G3 - only ones I’ve seen to be compatible are TM, JG and CA. 

I run KA mids in my JG, ergo they should work fine in a TM seeing as the JG is a copy of the TM.

27 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I run KA mids in my JG, ergo they should work fine in a TM seeing as the JG is a copy of the TM.

You must have more luck than me then; I had 7 KA ones and only found out mid fire fight that they don’t feed in my rifle so sold them. 

Highly dependant on your style. I'd go midcaps over highcaps any day of the week because I don't shoot that much and I dislike the tactical maracas of highcaps. I mean, I play with GBBRs and snipers, so low ammo count is just my normal.

However, for most people I'd say just run a few highcaps. Unless you want the stealth of mid/lowcaps (and even then highcaps can still be quiet if you're not sprinting around the place) or the immersion of having to reload in the field, highcaps are just better.

I'm not you, but you're asking me so I say mid caps, 5 will get you 350 guaranteed kills, though deduct about 50 for the random plinking that's obligatory whilst waiting for the game to start. Still, 300 kills dude, that's enough, don't be greedy.

If you're up against the puffa jacketed teen terrors then 3 high caps will get you about 6 acknowledged kills... 

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

4 minutes ago, MAX DICKER said:

I'm not you, but you're asking me so I say mid caps, 5 will get you 350 guaranteed kills, though deduct about 50 for the random plinking that's obligatory whilst waiting for the game to start. Still, 300 kills dude, that's enough, don't be greedy.

Don't forget the 40 or so into  puddles on the walk to start point after briefing 😅

4 hours ago, Lozart said:

Depends if you want to rattle or not

You can get rid of a lot of it by brimming the reservoir, covering the top with your thumb and shaking the mag to get the bbs to settle, and repeating that a few times until the bbs can't move at all. You can dive around all day and they won't make a peep until you start using it. 

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Badgerlicious said:

You can get rid of a lot of it by brimming the reservoir, covering the top with your thumb and shaking the mag to get the bbs to settle, and repeating that a few times until the bbs can't move at all. You can dive around all day and they won't make a peep until you start using it

Yeah. Right up until then. Handy.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Badgerlicious said:

Well, you can counter a lot of the rattle when you're holding the gun, something you can't do when it's in your kit. 

Something you don't need to do with midcaps though.

Why specifically 5 and 5? If its to fill out pouches get a couple of hicaps and some wood blocks, then see how you get on. Battle maracas are generally masked by the sound of shooting anyway. Personal preference is towards midcaps and a speed loader. 

I was going to jump in with the 'brim, and brim again' advice, but I've been beaten to it. So that's good. 

I was definitely keen on the idea of mid-caps for a while, but then I had a few rounds where I didn't spend most of my time dead, and actually burned through a metric shit-ton of ammo.  While I really like doing sort-of speedy reloads and looking tacti-cool, I don't have enough mag pouches for it.  And so I decided I quite like high caps after all... and ordered a bunch of Lonex flash mags to kill off the other annoyance (winding).

And yes, if you either move through the woods like a preying mantis (which is my current "energy-saving" / "can't be arsed to run much" / I AM STEVEN SEAGAL approach), or just really 'baby' the gun as you move, then the rattle isn't a problem - even with a nearly empty mag in there. The short little all-out sprints for change of cover or to close right up with the enemy are so obvious that a bit of rattle makes sod all difference.  Movement + not using cover is more of a giveaway than sound, in my (limited) experience.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Tackle said:

I've got hi's & mids for most of my guns, but unless an event is mag specific, I'll always go with 2 or 3 hi-caps rather than half a dozen mids, just makes life easier 😉

Well you are a totally bollox’ed worn out old fart after all ? 😳
“Walks away in other direction tunelessly whistling to my self hoping no one notices “ 😁

Personally I've found I automatically play differently depending on how much ammo I carry. Certainly in the early days when I'd have a couple of 300 round maracas, I'd use weight of fire a lot. Moving to mid caps meant I had to put a some thought into ammo conservation, and the issue of timing reloads came into play. For about the last 9 years I've used mostly GBBR's and whilst it's a huge disadvantage in terms of ammo capacity, I find it much more satisfying. Having <40 rounds per mag makes me much more careful with my trigger finger.

End of the day, running high, mid or even low caps are great fun in different ways. We can all give our opinions, but you'll find what works best for you and then down the line you'll change your mind.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Well you are a totally bollox’ed worn out old fart after all ? 😳
“Walks away in other direction tunelessly whistling to my self hoping no one notices “ 😁

"Takes one to fucking know one" cheeky old fartknocker🧙‍♂️

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.