SCAMMER strikes again.... STEVE GLENNIE

Jack91

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Morning guys, apologies for dragging this post on, but just an update on the matter and again to seek some more advise on what i should do next.

So i contacted northern ireland police yesterday as they advised me to do. I stated that i was still waiting on my items to be posted back to me as promised by GLENNIE. 

The police have now told me they have issued police attendance and that they will now look into him further. (I havent told glennie that i have reported him to the police)

I have had some contact this morning from Glennie, as i asked him yet again about when he is planning on returning my items. I have had yet another exuse. 

This morning i have given him 2 options. 

1. He can get my items sent back by close of play today with proof of postage and no further action be taken. 

2. He sends me the cash value of my items i sent, back to me via paypal. That way i have cover. 

He has told me he can send me the cash value, but wont be until friday.

Are these reasonable requests? Or am i being gullible and impatient?  

Cheers again.

Proof of postage is worthless

He will post you a brick. It will be weighed and tracked and then claim you are the fraudster.

Leave all threats on the table until you either have your goods as you sent them or a cash replacement. 

Paypal is often used against the seller in this type of situation.

Rogerborg, your right mate to be fair and its realistic. I wouldnt be suprised if that was the next exuse either lol. 

I think i will just have to bite the bullet now and admit defeat  like you say if he can easily scam his pals, then everyone else is not a thought to him.

48 minutes ago, Groot said:

Proof of postage is worthless

He will post you a brick. It will be weighed and tracked and then claim you are the fraudster.

That sounds likely.  You could try to record the arrival of the package and the unwrapping, with one continuous video from the moment the delivery guy hands it to you...   (Ask him nicely, maybe he'll stick with you for a couple of minutes and he can be a witness too)
If it does indeed turn up empty or with a brick in it, that might be useful somehow?

• Supporters

It does seem totally ridiculous that he, literally continually seems to get away with committing crime, & it's made worse by the fact that its very well documented, every scam must have dozens of messages between him & his victims, including addresses, yet the plod are disinterested ?. 

Surely these cases would be piss easy to prosecute with all the evidence available ?, almost guaranteed conviction rates for the plod. 

It makes no sense https://media.tenor.com/images/02ce8c7ce7bbce2caefef1b89cd20479/tenor.gif

I don't know if it's different in NI, but in GB it's the CPS who decide whether or not to go ahead with a prosecution, not the police. Although I do agree it's strange that he hasn't been in court

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

Although I do agree it's strange that he hasn't been in court

He has been, he was convicted of fraudulently stealing money ostensibly going to Help For Heroes.

As to why he hasn't been done over and over and over again since then...

Unfortunately it's a case of it being so prevalent that with the sheer amount of cases there isn't the time or manpower to go after every single one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Isnt there something to do with action fraud teams? 

I'm sure I've heard somewhere that local plod only deal with fraud if it's someone you know (family member, carer etc) whereas an action fraud team (seperate to local plod) deal with frauds where the offender isnt local to the victim and there are no links between the 2 before the fraud.

I dont know how effective they are though or if they would definitely take this on.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, THE FNG said:

I'm sure I've heard somewhere that local plod only deal with fraud if it's someone you know (family member, carer etc) whereas an action fraud team (seperate to local plod) deal with frauds where the offender isnt local to the victim and there are no links between the 2 before the fraud.

It seems as Action Fraud / National Fraud Intelligence Bureau pass cases on to local Forces, who put most of them straight in the round file.

https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk/hmicfrs/wp-content/uploads/state-of-policing-2021-single-page-format.pdf - page 49

In a national thematic inspection report in April 2019, we observed that one force filed, with no further action, 96 percent of the cases it received from the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau. Some of these cases had a good degree of evidence, including identified suspects.

For too long, police forces have placed an unjustifiable reliance on Action Fraud, the national fraud reporting centre, to solve the problem. But Action Fraud exists mainly to record fraud allegations, not investigate them. Many police forces aren’t taking their responsibilities to prevent and investigate fraud anywhere near seriously enough.

Ive just given up with this now lads. Not heard back from the police for a while and the prick glennie has gone all quiet. 

It is what it is. Just another report filed against him and in out of pocket. Cheers again for all the replies and guidance, hopefully karma can square him away! 

• Supporters

Sorry to hear that.  This is how this parasite flourishes, by operating just under the threshold where the State takes an interest, or his victims make the trip to smash his teeth down his throat.

We all hope that someone else will do it.  I hope someday that someone does.

2 hours ago, Jack91 said:

Ive just given up with this now lads. Not heard back from the police for a while and the prick glennie has gone all quiet. 

It is what it is. Just another report filed against him and in out of pocket. Cheers again for all the replies and guidance, hopefully karma can square him away! 

Well, dude, hopefully the one good thing you can take away from this is discovering that not all of the Airsoft community are like that diseased blobfish prolapse.

4 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Sorry to hear that.  This is how this parasite flourishes, by operating just under the threshold where the State takes an interest, or his victims make the trip to smash his teeth down his throat.

We all hope that someone else will do it.  I hope someday that someone does.

Thing is, given where he is operating from, I am really surprised someone hasnt had a words with a few of the local paramilitaries.  Thats how it used to be when I was growing up.  True story - I was 18 and we lived on a really rough estate.  One summer there was a chip van came and parked in the parking area to the rear of our house.  Loads of anti social behaviour ensued, litter, rowdy teens etc.  Someone (probably my Mum) had a word with the local UDA commander.  I watched from my back window as three men in balaclavas got out of a car with an AK and a handgun, robbed the place then burnt it to the ground.  No more problem.

Edited by EvilMonkee

• Supporters

Dunno if I've asked this question before, but a big "HEY" to players in northern Ireland, what's your opinion on the pos Glennie, he started out as a player, does he still play ?, if so is he shunned or is the fact he doesn't appear to shit on his doorstep mean that people there don't take much notice ? 

Just intrigued to know what players over there think.? 

Cheers 

2 hours ago, Jam_Man said:

This guy was up to this sort of thing when I was first into Airsoft, and that was 5 years ago. What a scumbag.

He was also up to his tricks in paintball, which I’m sure was quite a long time ago 

One particular forum he had a go out no longer exists, but on another he is one of the people responsible for the implementation of certain rules.

I can see some rule changes in 2018, but also references to rule changes as far back as 2014, 2013 and 2011

I’m going to hazard a guess that his activities dated back at least as far as the 2013 & 2014 ones - and I’m inclined to say that 2011 was an early attempt also related to him

The only thing that makes me unsure was that there was also the ‘Sutton Coldfield triangle’ as opposed to NI

Behind the scenes moderators between forums were keeping each other up to date on suspicions etc and Glennie was a frequently occurring name that still triggers the hairs on the back of my neck

PPS. If you Google his name you can find mentions and a photo 

Guest SquashyTundra6
19 hours ago, Tackle said:

Dunno if I've asked this question before, but a big "HEY" to players in northern Ireland, what's your opinion on the pos Glennie, he started out as a player, does he still play ?, if so is he shunned or is the fact he doesn't appear to shit on his doorstep mean that people there don't take much notice ? 

Just intrigued to know what players over there think.? 

Cheers 

I’ve been playing around NI for about 10 years and never heard of him outside of these forums… Don’t recall hearing of him on the NI group chats or discord either, hoping it stays that way! No room for carry on like that, absolutely hate scammers 

• 2 weeks later...

Just Chiming in regarding trades that do not involve a face-to-face

I'll preface this with indeed your mileage still may vary, and its up to you to seal the deal and go with your gut instinct.

I've done about 4 Trades over the post now of relatively high value RIF's

All of them have been trouble free

And following these steps has helped me, if these Criteria weren't met then it was Generally a Red Flag.

• 1. They have a decent seller history/activity on AFUK or another long standing Airsoft Selling Platform
  • 2. They agree to send you a picture of their Photo ID (Drivers License) with a timestamp (a note with the date and name written on it next to the ID) allthewhile, reciprocating with yours, Bonus for UKARA.

(if you REALLY wanna be thorough, a picture of their ID, next to a Recent Utility Bill AND timestamp)

• 3. Then, checking postage address of the trade (including yours) directly matches the address of the ID
  • 4.(Optional) one of the parties offers a collateral payment (the value of the traded item) which can be claimed if it goes pear shaped

You handle postage for your way.

additionally, as another user mentioned, proof of postage isn't really of any substance, but opening the parcel as soon as its been delivered on video will be. (also get the trader to send images of the item as they pack it as a reference image)

Yes it may come off as a bit thorough, but the trouble of losing an entire RIF with nothing to show for it far outweighs any effort in the preliminary.

And LASTLY Again, if the person you are trading with is apprehensive to send ANY of these details, then just dont trade.

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, redstonemedi said:

I am a moron to trust this steve

Been done over by him recently? 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.